Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

raining on the sport chrono parade

Judging from this board, sport chrono is regarded favorably and is even considered a must-have option by some. Personally, sport chrono strikes me as a childish marketing gimmick and I would never choose it off an option list. Sport chrono claims to offer three "performance related" features: a manual stopwatch, a sharpened throttle response, and now the 997tt overboost. IMO, those features are designed to appeal to amateurs and offend serious drivers. First the stopwatch. Nobody believes manually clocked lap times, that's why race cars have transponders and data loggers with gps and accelerometers. Deliberately buying a manually activated stopwatch for your car instead of an accurate timing device marks you as an amateur. And it's hard for me not to feel let down by that ugly dashboard pimple when Porsche could have easily provided a full Motec-compatible data logger instead since all the sensors are already in place. Second the throttle response. Skilled drivers would like as much control over their controls as possible, so they prefer their controls to have linear responses. Amateur drivers would like to have the illusion of more power than actually exists when they crudely stomp on the accelerator pedal, so they enjoy the "sharpened throttle response" that makes their car more difficult to control. Third the overboost. To my mind, it's straight out of a 1980's arcade video game. Push the button to momentarily get more power. Pretty soon we will be mashing the overboost button all the time and then we will get "overboost thumb" just like on a video game. And if people are willing to pay for that, Porsche will offer us an "overbrake button" that briefly gives improved braking power, and an "overnav" button that lets you find a better route once a week, and the amazing "overloud button" that briefly lets you crank up the Bose volume from 10 to 11, and so on and so on. And if we all buy those astounding features, then Porsche will take it to the next level by offering powerups that we can drive around and collect. Fill up your car with Porsche-certified gas and they will give you an extra 2 hp for the entire tank of gas. Park your car in a Porsche-certified garage and get an extra 1 hp for the next 24 hours. Service your car at the Porsche dealer and you will get another 5 hp and 2 mpg until the next service interval. And yes, the powerups will be cumulative so you can stack up the bonuses for truly eye-popping power and efficiency. Why can't Porsche just design the system to give you the most power it can whenever it can? Or offer true gps-based telemetry so you know exactly how fast you went where and what you need to do to improve your times? Why do they give you these absurd manually activated capabilities? The only answer that I can make sense of is that they are marketing the package to people who haven't yet realized that extra is never really extra -- it's just a deceptive way to start you with less. By offering an overboost feature, Porsche is just cheating us out of the boost that we should have gotten all along. So no sport chrono for me.

Re: raining on the sport chrono parade

Please read the extensive threads on the benefits of Sport Chrono. The stopwatch is of limited use. The sharpened throttle response fixes the problem for heel and toeing when Porsche made the gap between the pedals wider than the 996 in the search for more legroom. And many believe the car throttle response should be that way as standard.

Regarding the TT no-one knows yet because no-one (including you?) drove one yet? How can you write so negatively of such things without trying them first? I used to rubbish cruise control until I found our how hard it is to keep 40mph thorugh roadworks in the Uk without being caught for speeding-so to have it is great even in a 911.

Are you sure you are on the right site? Did you try these things over a period and see how they work?

Quote:
    hatchback said:
    Judging from this board, sport chrono is regarded favorably and is even considered a must-have option by some. Personally, sport chrono strikes me as a childish marketing gimmick and I would never choose it off an option list. Sport chrono claims to offer three "performance related" features: a manual stopwatch, a sharpened throttle response, and now the 997tt overboost. IMO, those features are designed to appeal to amateurs and offend serious drivers. First the stopwatch. Nobody believes manually clocked lap times, that's why race cars have transponders and data loggers with gps and accelerometers. Deliberately buying a manually activated stopwatch for your car instead of an accurate timing device marks you as an amateur. And it's hard for me not to feel let down by that ugly dashboard pimple when Porsche could have easily provided a full Motec-compatible data logger instead since all the sensors are already in place. Second the throttle response. Skilled drivers would like as much control over their controls as possible, so they prefer their controls to have linear responses. Amateur drivers would like to have the illusion of more power than actually exists when they crudely stomp on the accelerator pedal, so they enjoy the "sharpened throttle response" that makes their car more difficult to control. Third the overboost. To my mind, it's straight out of a 1980's arcade video game. Push the button to momentarily get more power. Pretty soon we will be mashing the overboost button all the time and then we will get "overboost thumb" just like on a video game. And if people are willing to pay for that, Porsche will offer us an "overbrake button" that briefly gives improved braking power, and an "overnav" button that lets you find a better route once a week, and the amazing "overloud button" that briefly lets you crank up the Bose volume from 10 to 11, and so on and so on. And if we all buy those astounding features, then Porsche will take it to the next level by offering powerups that we can drive around and collect. Fill up your car with Porsche-certified gas and they will give you an extra 2 hp for the entire tank of gas. Park your car in a Porsche-certified garage and get an extra 1 hp for the next 24 hours. Service your car at the Porsche dealer and you will get another 5 hp and 2 mpg until the next service interval. And yes, the powerups will be cumulative so you can stack up the bonuses for truly eye-popping power and efficiency. Why can't Porsche just design the system to give you the most power it can whenever it can? Or offer true gps-based telemetry so you know exactly how fast you went where and what you need to do to improve your times? Why do they give you these absurd manually activated capabilities? The only answer that I can make sense of is that they are marketing the package to people who haven't yet realized that extra is never really extra -- it's just a deceptive way to start you with less. By offering an overboost feature, Porsche is just cheating us out of the boost that we should have gotten all along. So no sport chrono for me.

Agreed, that Porsche rips us off, but, you've got to get the sport chrono, if NOTHING else. You'll be sorry if you don't. That alone will make it a much more fierce STREET competitor.

....Sport Chrono also raises the threshold at which PSM activates.

Quote:
    hatchback said:

Wow! That is an awesome counter argument. I love it. I feel the same way.

Quote:
    hatchback said:

Buying a 997TT without Sport Chrono Turbo is like buying a 997Carrera with one of the cylinders missing from the boxer 6 engine. If you plan to purchase the 997TT, then Sport Chrono Turbo is mandatory. Otherwise, you might as well buy a Carrera4 since you will be missing out on some of the potential power from forced induction from the turbocharged engine in the first place. In fact, even with overboost, the car is STILL factory-limited since the engine and setup could handle easily up to 600 peak HP and 800Nm peak torque without modifying the emgine. So not getting the overboost feature limits the car EVEN MORE.

I believe the overboost will be active any time you floor the throttle, once the Sport button is activated. You only need to press the sport button once and not every time you desire overboost. Your thumb will not be worn out.

I have heard that the sharpened throttle response was too sharp for effective track work on the Cayman S. Several people complained that it was difficult to smoothly manange the throttle. And it was frustrating, since they wanted the reduced interference of PSM that comes with pressing Sport (but still wanted the safety net, so didn't turn it off completely).

Even at the risk of sounding arrogant and being a little bit offensive: are you sure you know what you're talking about? The stop watch, better throttle response and even the overboost function are only a small part of the whole "sport chrono cake". We had so many discussions about the benefit of sport chrono, I really don't want to repeat myself. Check the archives and the FAQ, you'll be surprised what sport chrono can do for you. A little hint: sport chrono also has an influence on suspension mapping, engine mapping, AWD mapping (electronically controlled on the Turbo), Tiptronic mapping, VTG mapping, PSM mapping, etc. etc. etc. And although many people don't seem to understand the overboost function and think this is just a way to rip off customers, I have to disagree. I had the overboost feature on my very first Lancia Delta Integrale and believe it or not, it is a lot of fun and helps to keep the engine and drivetrain parts in a healthy shape.

Quote:
    RC said:
    I had the overboost feature on my very first Lancia Delta Integrale and believe it or not, it is a lot of fun and helps to keep the engine and drivetrain parts in a healthy shape.

Yes, fond memories of my own Lancia Delta HF Integrale. Unfortunately don't ever seeing me in a position to own a Porsche 997 turbo, however, even if I was a good enough driver.

Porsche...Masters at extracting money out of their customers.

The 997 Turbo with sports chrono...don't buy one without it. My question then is, why *offer* one without it??

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:
    The 997 Turbo with sports chrono...don't buy one without it. My question then is, why *offer* one without it??

I thought that about the "non-S" 997, but what do I know, there are plenty of people buying it.

I'm actually more amazed by the fact so many of you were able to read his original thread.

The man has no idea what a paragraph is!

Overheard at a Porsche 997 Turbo early marketing meeting :

"OK , so the engine people say the basic motor makes 580 hp without breaking a sweat. We'll first sell a detuned " base " car for 125K at 480 hp , charge $2K for Sport Chrono which most everyone will buy, bump the restricted output to 525 hp for a $20K powerkit , then save 550hp and/or 580 hp for GT2 and/or Turbo S variants to come later at $$$ premium. EASY MONEY IN THE BANK , ha , ha , ha , !! "

" But how to add back some value , sir ? "

" Easy - we finally make Cobalt Blue a std metallic "

" Ha,ha,ha,ha "

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:

I frankly dont understand why people whine about money on this forum. As a group we have to be one of the most affluent online communities in the world. Sure maybe they could have included it as standard, But on the otherhand if an aditional $1840 means a lot to you on a $122,900 car, by all means don't pay for it. Its a full 1 1/2 percent of the total purchase price. You can blow 5 times that on Carbon Fiber goodies for the interior. They dont make it go any faster.

Quote:
    997CarreraS said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:

I frankly dont understand why people whine about money on this forum. As a group we have to be one of the most affluent online communities in the world. Sure maybe they could have included it as standard, But on the otherhand if an aditional $1840 means a lot to you on a $122,900 car, by all means don't pay for it. Its a full 1 1/2 percent of the total purchase price. You can blow 5 times that on Carbon Fiber goodies for the interior. They dont make it go any faster.

Totally agree with you ...such a shame really

Quote:
    MKW said:
    Overheard at a Porsche 997 Turbo early marketing meeting :

"OK , so the engine people say the basic motor makes 580 hp without breaking a sweat. We'll first sell a detuned " base " car for 125K at 480 hp , charge $2K for Sport Chrono which most everyone will buy, bump the restricted output to 525 hp for a $20K powerkit , then save 550hp and/or 580 hp for GT2 and/or Turbo S variants to come later at $$$ premium. EASY MONEY IN THE BANK , ha , ha , ha , !! "

" But how to add back some value , sir ? "

" Easy - we finally make Cobalt Blue a std metallic "

" Ha,ha,ha,ha "

MKW, chill out. I was a mere lad back in early '90s when robo-cop S-Class came out at $92Kish base price in midst of early '90s recession.

Today, a base S550 lists ?$5K below the S500 of 15-odd yrs ago, despite innumerable important tech performance/safety/comfort/reliability/low-mtce advances ...these comments re: pricing and tech advances are equally applicable to today's P/F vs those of 15 yrs ago.....

15 yrs ago very, very few (incl Larry) conceived of having a $30MM+ primary house in Woodside and 2-3-4 $15MM+ secondary wkend houses...and a $50MM bird (or two) to shuttle one and the current wife and 3 rugrats and 2 nannies btwn the various houses ......

I put cars alongside PCs/cells/iPods/plasma TVs as part of the tech wave, where costs keep going down, yet tech advances continue to amaze ....kudos to Stanford alums (and drop-outs) and SilicVy's endlessly renewing wave of ambitious young entrepreneurs from all over the globe, esp incl India and Euro.....

Without trying to sound too arrogant, and please dont anyone take this in the wrong way, but if your going to spend 120 thousand dollars....(think about that for a sec) Then why complain so much about an option that enhances the overall performance of the car at such a small percentage of the car at 1180. or what ever the exact number is? If you dont want it, dont get it, but since when has anyone every truly disapointed with a new porsche? Yes, of course mabey some, but this is porsches brand new turbo. A car long in the making, everyone will have their own opinions, but I personally can't wait to have sport chrono in my car...

I think the problem is not what Sport Chrono Pack can do, it is the fact Porsche offer it as an option that is driving some crazy. Maybe as a true sport oriented car maker, all extra performance related goodies should be already included in the whole package. Should it be Porsche's fault that they try to personalized each every detail options their customers can pick from? Simple might be better when it comes to factory selections on performance parts or packages.

I like how Porsche markets their cars and options. There is something for everyone's skill, product knowledge level and custom desires.

Obvious that if customers haven't done some research they arent going to get what they really might want.If they dont know any better to learn Porsche's option matrix they are just casual buyers anyway. So they shouldnt get what they could have gotten!

Thats my view of the factory's sales philosophy anyway.

hatchback has a valid point ! i want it ALL without having to push a button ! just as the m5 and m6. 400hp in standard mode. push a button and you've got 500...what on earth were they thinking ? why not five buttons and give us the power in 100hp increments ? the m6 does 0-100 in under 5 seconds....but it takes you five minutes to activate the setup where it'll do it under 5 secs (top gear did a hillarious review on the complexity of its setup)

porsche....give us a manettino....

Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:

Because some people don't want it and why should Porsche raise production cost, even if we're probably talking about a few bucks only?!

In my opinion, some options should be no-cost options, like the sport chrono package or the LSD. I also don't understand why Porsche isn't capable of reducing the price of the PCCB option, they sold enough of them over the past years to cover development cost. The PCCB option is a great option (I will NEVER buy a Porsche without PCCB again) but people who never had the chance to drive it for a while, may not understand the advantages.
    It is always funny when I listen to the arguments "against" ordering the PCCB: "I don't drive that fast"..."I don't track race my car"..."I don't need it, the standard brake is sufficient"... The ONLY argument "against" it I accept is: "It is too expensive". Yes, Porsche should definetely lower the PCCB option price but looking at the 997 Turbo and GT3, I highly doubt it will happen any time soon.

Talking of cost, I can see three cars in the Porsche model lineup which offer the best value for the money:
    1. 997 Carrera
    2. 997 GT3
    3. 997 Turbo

All the other models, including some options, make the cars very expensive. My "old" 997 Carrera S had a price tag of 107000 Euro when I got it back in 2004. The new 997 GT3 costs practically the same money. "Naked" but still pretty well equipped. Also try to compare a FULLY LOADED 997 Carrera 4S with a 997 Turbo. Not much difference there.

The best part about Porsche is that people can choose from many many options. The bad part about Porsche is: they have nothing to give away for free.

I don't think that people are mad at Porsche because of the high prices, I think they're mad at Porsche because they have the feeling that Porsche could do better for the same money and that they're (intentionally) holding back some features which would definetely make their cars a better value. I'm afraid I have to agree with that feeling.
    The base 997 Carrera should have had 350 HP from the start, the 997 Carrera S at least 380 HP. There stil would have been room for a powerkit and other options.
    Not to speak about the new 997 Turbo, which would have deserved to see a 5 at the beginning of it's power figure. The Mercedes SL55 is already several years old, the new BMW M5 and the upcoming facelifted Mercedes AMG models already have over 500 HP. Why not 500 HP flat on the Turbo? This remains one of the most unsolved mysteries of Porsche marketing. Unless...this "scheme" is more transpartent than they think: 480 HP base model, 510 HP powerkit, 520 HP Turbo S, 530 HP GT2. Too easy? Porsche marketing never has been good at hiding "schemes", so I suppose we hit the nail right on the head.

Nice rant Hatchback. I guess I'm in a different camp. Overboost thumb? I can't wait to be part of that. Overloud button? That would be option #OL-11, I'll take it please. Sport Chrono seems like a no brainer, seeing as how it has so very little to do with time and so much to do with everything else. I love the way Porsche allows so many options when ordering a car. At this price point I want my car my way.
    The one thing I won't get is the voice activated rev limiter (VARL). I have that in the SL55. It is very loud and there is no way to turn it off.

Quote:
    VKSF said:

MKW, chill out. I was a mere lad back in early '90s when robo-cop S-Class came out at $92Kish base price in midst of early '90s recession.

You're talking to someone who paid $70K for a new 964 in 1990 and had a neighbor who bought TWO 964 C4 Cabs for $95K each ( silver and blue ) in 1991 , so I know first hand that in inflation adjusted $$, today's Porsche's are " cheaper " ( but so is the build quality / construction methods like the same interior pretty much whether a base Boxster or Turbo S "thanks " to the Toyota efficiency consultants called in to save the company in the early 90s ) .
    But I still find it irritating that Porsche has to option a " sport " button on the 997/997 Turbo ( who cares about the price ) - it should come std since it's a SPORTS CAR .It's part of the deal when you buy something like an M5, etc. And for those who say choice is good - what they really acknowledge is that Porsche condescendingly deems many buyers the poseurs they are.

i have a really big problem with that sports button in my 997. it is supposed to be a sportscar, therefore there should not be a button to push.

everytime i have somebody in the car with me and i push sports, i feel embarrassed. in a bmw or merc i agree. but in a porsche....no no no.

i agree with different settings for damping and stability control but not engine mapping.

anyway, it's there, so there is no use to wish otherwise. what i would really have wished for is to make that fugly stopwatch optional. the pcm does all the timing etc, so why that ugly clock. as if anybody would have time to check an analog clock while lapping a track. reall silly that thing.

möchtegern, wannabe, pretentious !!

and as somebody else mentioned before, anybody who seriously tracks their car would have a magnetic strip timer.
    and i have to add that neither 997 S nor turbo are 'track cars' gt3 certainly is. the others are not.

My guess is that the discussion about costly options boils down to people getting upset from the feeling of getting ripped off, it's not really about the money, rather the principle.

I was once overcharged by a cab driver in Saigon, and without even thinking about the amount got upset about him overcharging me 20 cents ...

K

The major issue for many people over here is Carpet Mats (with leather edges ) costing extra when they really should be standard in every Porsche. My OPC has given up and gives them for 'free' because he says he's tired of nearly losing a deal on a 100,000 GBP car over mats...

Part of the joy of a Porsche is spending hours and hours over the options list and then hours and hours on Rennteam choosing the right ones

Sport Chrono I nearly didn't do until I drove one with it. No brainer afterwards IMHO

The driver puts the "sport" in sports car, not a "button"...

Agreed 964.

Buttons are for couch potatos' TV remotes, not to activate the "sport personality" of a Porsche.

If the car's only sporty with the sport chrono active, what am I driving when it's not on?

I think that this type of ambiguity is bad for Porsche's image in the long term. These cars shouldn't be about paying extra for silly options to get the "complete performance pakcage", especially when such options are basically unlocking some software flags in the DME.

I don't care what sport chrono purports to do (overboost, levitation, flying, whatever), I will never buy it as it is completely at odds with what I perceive a sports car should be.

The vehicle that really needs sharper throttle response is the Cayenne, with its infamous hesitation problem. Why isn't this bogus option offered there?

mcdelaug

Its your car. Don't want it, dont get it. But why miss out?

Quote:
    RC said:
    Quote:
    Dock (Atlanta) said:

I don't think that people are mad at Porsche because of the high prices, I think they're mad at Porsche because they have the feeling that Porsche could do better for the same money and that they're (intentionally) holding back some features which would definetely make their cars a better value. I'm afraid I have to agree with that feeling.

That's exactly my point.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803836 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448699 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266295 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90150 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6721 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886019 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834050 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM