Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 997 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

997 Might have to go!!

Hey guys. I am soon to be a 1st time father. I suppose the 997 will no longer be suitable. Is there anyone here with newborns or very young children? If so can a 997 still be used. I can imagine whilst the car seat pushchair ect is in there isnt much room for much else. The 997 is my daily driver. What do you think about trading in for a cayenne or similar. Please Help. Will appreciate all views.Many thanks.

Re: 997 Might have to go!!

A great percentage of 911 owners trade their car for an E55 or an M5 as soon as they get a kid. If you don't want to let go of your beloved 997 you could if you can afford it always buy a second car which can be used for family trips and other trips requiring space.

Congrats Rob!

Don't fret too much, you can even get a Porsche kiddie seat to go in the front! (I checked to be on the safe side!). The first few years it shouldn't be an issue, maybe see how things go before chopping it in for something else. Porsche recommend changing after 18 months anyway.

Best wishes to the other half.

Mark

Hi mbw i have looked at the kiddie seat does seem an option. Thankyou for you kind words by the way.

Hi Luwalira. I have actually considered the M5 but to be fair i dont like the look of it but im sure it is an awesome machine. I have considered and x5,Rangerover, Cayenne and Mercedes S class. I have considered buying a 2nd car but i have a feeling that the 997 will spend most its life in the garage. My partner drives a 986 s which is even worse!!

robl997 I know your issues. I have an 8 and 5 year old and before long I am sure I will have to part with my 997. My kids fit into the back seat now but I am sure leg room will become an issue. I didn't go through the car seat issue so I can not say one way or another. I am currently looking at a VW Touareg as my daily driver but to me having a car that I can not put my entire family in doesn't make much sense to me. This is why I nixed all 2 seaters and anything that did not come with a manual gear shifter.

There's always E*Bay.
    The kid, not the car.
    (just kidding.)

I have a 5 year old and my wife just popped out another kid three days ago. No way am I turning in the 997S. My 5 year old will kill me as I use it to give him a ride to school every morning. I'll have to figure out what to do with the newborn as far as transporting her in the 997S. Maybe Porsche has a newborn child seat.

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I have a 5 year old and my wife just popped out another kid three days ago. No way am I turning in the 997S. My 5 year old will kill me as I use it to give him a ride to school every morning. I'll have to figure out what to do with the newborn as far as transporting her in the 997S. Maybe Porsche has a newborn child seat.

Congatulations! I sure your wife would think it involved a little more than a pop.

I am curious would you be able to drive your wife with the baby in arms given the age of the baby? The airbag would be a huge issue unless it was deactivated. But if you could not, would placing the baby in the back seat be wise even with a baby seat?

First of all, congratulations on your baby.

You should be able to keep your 997. Your Porsche dealer has got a selection of supported baby and kid seats. The seats can be fitted in the back and on the front passenger seat. You will also need to purchase the Airbag Deactivation Kit.

Long family trips will require a little more organization but they are definitely possible. Just keep enough luggage for two days aboard, and have the rest shipped to your holiday home or hotel beforehand. My uncle had a 928 and did just this. His family car sat unused in the garage.

The stroller might be a problem. You will need to do some research. But if you manage to find one small enough to fit in the trunk, you're set for everyday life.
    However, should you get a second kid, then long family trips will be a problem as long as you need the stroller, as it takes the trunk space that you need for those two days worth of luggage... The trick is to rent another car for those rare occasions.
    Or you could man up and order the Porsche top case )

You're actually lucky. Your kids won't outgrow the 911 rear seats before the Panamera is out.

Just keep it and get another ride. I have had a 996 and now have a 997 and have a 2 y.o.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:

Congatulations! I sure your wife would think it involved a little more than a pop.

I'm kidding of course. But it seemed like it was very quick.

Quote:
    nberry said:I am curious would you be able to drive your wife with the baby in arms given the age of the baby? The airbag would be a huge issue unless it was deactivated. But if you could not, would placing the baby in the back seat be wise even with a baby seat?

The back seat is the safest and it's the law in California. For infants, the baby would be secured in a rear-facing infant seat.

Quote:
    nberry said:
    [I am curious would you be able to drive your wife with the baby in arms given the age of the baby? The airbag would be a huge issue unless it was deactivated. But if you could not, would placing the baby in the back seat be wise even with a baby seat?

This is a no no in NC. I would bet the same would hold true in most other states. You kid needs to be in a car seat or not in the car at all.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    First of all, congratulations on your baby.

Thanks.

Quote:
    The Groom said:
    You should be able to keep your 997. Your Porsche dealer has got a selection of supported baby and kid seats. The seats can be fitted in the back and on the front passenger seat. You will also need to purchase the Airbag Deactivation Kit.

Long family trips will require a little more organization but they are definitely possible. Just keep enough luggage for two days aboard, and have the rest shipped to your holiday home or hotel beforehand. My uncle had a 928 and did just this. His family car sat unused in the garage.

The stroller might be a problem. You will need to do some research. But if you manage to find one small enough to fit in the trunk, you're set for everyday life.
    However, should you get a second kid, then long family trips will be a problem as long as you need the stroller, as it takes the trunk space that you need for those two days worth of luggage... The trick is to rent another car for those rare occasions.
    Or you could man up and order the Porsche top case )

You're actually lucky. Your kids won't outgrow the 911 rear seats before the Panamera is out.

We have two other cars, so taking the wife and two kids won't be a problem as I'll be using those for weekend transportation.

Hmmm. The Porsche Baby Seat Latch is for the front seat. I don't know how this will work with the law in California. Maybe I won't be able to take my baby in my 997S, after all.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/tequipment/n36/n103/n133/

Congrats to Rob and Alan....and to me while we're on this topic. I have two firsts to celebrate, I'm also a first time dad as of March 25th....and tomorrow I'm finally placing an order for my first P as well. We already have daily drivers, so the TT will not have to transport the munchkin, just yet anyways....

Quote:
    robl997 said:
    Hi mbw i have looked at the kiddie seat does seem an option. Thankyou for you kind words by the way.

Hi Luwalira. I have actually considered the M5 but to be fair i dont like the look of it but im sure it is an awesome machine. I have considered and x5,Rangerover, Cayenne and Mercedes S class. I have considered buying a 2nd car but i have a feeling that the 997 will spend most its life in the garage. My partner drives a 986 s which is even worse!!

Personally, would travel as a family in two separate 997s....world's best active/passive safety.....

Seriously, would go for an S-Class if have a family....seems to be safest overall people hauler on planet.....any SUV is relative rubbish, when one considers rollover risk/roof strength/braking&emgcy handling capabs/and ludicrous concept of stashing one's trash (sorry, luggage) in a compartment that may launch missles into passengers in a severe deceleration...... .....am always startled by Merc's tech safety innovs vs any mfr (ex-P), but this "07 S-Class may set gold std for passive safety(and active std for people-hauling vehicles).....

The 997 does not need to go. I have an 11 month old and I take him everywhere in my 997. He sits in the back seat in a forward facing car seat. When he was smaller he rode in a rear facing baby seat in the back as well. You just have to be selective in which baby seats you buy. The rear seat is narrow and a lot of baby seats have wide bases. If you need more room the bottom cushion can be removed since it is only held in by velcro.

If you want the kid in the front seat you can have airbag deactivation kit installed so you can turn the air bag on and off...or if you have an '06 model the airbag automtically turns itself off if the seatbelt is fastened and the weight on the seat is less than 40lbs.

icruze,

Which car seat are you using in the back? Do you have a photo for reference?

Quote:
    robl997 said:
    Hey guys. I am soon to be a 1st time father. I suppose the 997 will no longer be suitable. Is there anyone here with newborns or very young children? If so can a 997 still be used. I can imagine whilst the car seat pushchair ect is in there isnt much room for much else. The 997 is my daily driver. What do you think about trading in for a cayenne or similar. Please Help. Will appreciate all views.Many thanks.

Don't do it!!! Especially if this is your first child, you'll be happy to have some sort of "valve" to steam out your stress moments and trust me, you'll have lots of these moments lying ahead of you.
    Keep the 997, the baby fits quite well in the rear and even in the front with the airbag deactivation kit.
    The Cayenne is a great family car but in no way can it replace a sportscar. You'll be crying after your 997 if you sell it, trust me...I sold my 996 Turbo after the second child arrived and I still regret it.

Good luck!

Quote:
    robl997 said:

If you don't like the M5 (I don't either), how about an E55 Wagon? It hauls ass, all the baby kit you can carry and will still out-perform a lot of sports cars (at least in a straight line). Not to mention the beautifully sounding V8... That's what I'd go for, unless you can keep the 911 and just get a normal wagon, an Audi diesel or somethin'.

If you really have to get rid of the 997 you should look at the Audi RS4. Beautiful looking car and goes hard!

get a mercedes E55 or something. Yeah, the 911 must go.

Thanks all. I will digest all your comments and see what happens.Damn children!! lol.
    Maybe i should have waited till i was a little older as im addicted to the 997 maybe the feeling would have worn off by then. Hmmmmm then maybe not

Quote:
    0two9 said:
    get a mercedes E55 or something. Yeah, the 911 must go.

I did that and ended up with a Cayenne Turbo and 997 Carrera S afterwards. Forget it, there is no substitute for a sportscar.
    I "burned" so much money by selling my 996 Turbo because of the 2nd child, HUGE MISTAKE I made. I rushed into buying a Mercedes E55, sold it for a Cayenne Turbo after a few months. And after I had the Cayenne Turbo, I realized that although it has the Porsche crest on it, this is no substitute for a sportscar. So I got a 997 Carrera S for myself. If I would have kept my highly modded/tuned 996 Turbo til now and if I would have got only the Cayenne Turbo, I could have saved a LOT of money.

NEVER again, I've been SOOOOO stupid.

How would an infant feel better in a Cayenne than in a 997? Not enough room for a stroller? The Porsche Tequipment stroller works fine and it can be folded to fit in the trunk. Comfort? Do you think an infant cares about driving comfort? I was driving with my two year old daughter in my H&R coilover kit equipped 996 Turbo and she loved it...falling asleep all the time after a couple of minutes.

The only problem I see keeping the 997 is...the wife/girlfriend. Some women change a lot when they get a child, some become "overprotecting" mama machines, some just don't want to see their man happy since they suffered so much during pregnancy and birth... There are so many possibilities.

Fact is: men need a toy, it is some sort of genetic thing.
    And I'd say a sportscar is a thousand times better than a motorcycle or...another woman.

So keep the 997, you'll remember my words after a year or two if you sell it.

Whatever you do make sure your kid is in an approved Child Seat! This is a must although I remember back in the days of no car seat for kids. Hey have times changed. I guess the bottom line is if you can swing it keep the 911 and buy a second car. I know we all love our 997 but remember you can always buy another 997 if you decide to get rid of it.

Keep the car! I have 4 & 5 yr olds and they love the car. It's not that often that all 4 of us are in the car... we usually take the wife's SUV in that case. Make your partner change cars!

Seats:
    I tried car seats but unless you buy the Porsche seats they don't fit well. (didn't think of removing rear seat cushion like icruze said) Kids are both over 40 lb and are somewhat tall (I'm 6-7) and they fit very well with the seatbelt position both in the rear and front without a booster seat. When in front, the deactivation light is on so I'm not worried about the airbag.

and congrats robl997, SoCal Alan, FSU-997S . First couple years were tougher than it is now. If same for you... hang in there. My kids are everything. So is my Cab!

Quote:
    robl997 said:My partner drives a 986 s which is even worse!!

Exactly, the 986S is the problem in this equation. I had one when we had our son and it was a nightmare everytime we had to go somewhere. So many times where we would have loved to drive a nice car but could not with a baby. This your 997 will allow you, and after the first 12 months (which you will not register anyway due to lack of sleep etc etc) your 997 and whatever childseat will make you happy everyday. Convince your wife that she will have to swap car into something more practical, I would even bet that if you offer her the 997 for the first 6 months, she will not drive it...

I'd just get a Honda Pilot or Toyota SUV and take a break from parking, dents, dings, dirt, problems for a while. You guys will be wanting to spend your time making the kid safe and comfortable and so the car aesthetics/high performance maybe should be left in the dust. Just a thought... .

Quote:
    SoCal Alan said:
    I have a 5 year old and my wife just popped out another kid three days ago. No way am I turning in the 997S.

LOL! "Turning in the 997," fuuuuunny!

Congratulations Dadx2.

Rob, congratulations! Those are great news! You might want to name your kid Ferdinand?
    Should have a hard time if it's a girl though...

Quote:
    RC said:
    ...The only problem I see keeping the 997 is...the wife/girlfriend. Some women change a lot when they get a child, some become "overprotecting" mama machines, some just don't want to see their man happy since they suffered so much during pregnancy and birth... There are so many possibilities.

Fact is: men need a toy, it is some sort of genetic thing.
    And I'd say a sportscar is a thousand times better than a motorcycle or...another woman.

RC,

I might have learned a lesson for live. Considering to live out my dreams before I get a family!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    803886 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    448710 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    266309 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    90154 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    6732 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

886034 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    834139 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM