Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jeep Confirms Hellcat-Powered Grand Cherokee

@Gnil - we just had a GL550 as a rental for our 4 week US trip last Oct/Nov. 

I had to say, that I almost bought one 2 years ago (instead of the SRT). I really like the appearance and the space of the car. The car is very smooth to ride, the engine was powerful enough. Certainly, not like the SRT but therefore much more smooth. BUT - after 4 weeks I couldn't wait to get back in my SRT. The SRT drives like a sports car. For us the Jeep is the main family car, so I have some fun when driving the family trips! Also - there are many things I love on the SRT - Appearance, Engine, Sound System (sounds better than the Burmester in the Cayenne IMO), Seats (never had back pain in it). Only thing I would love different - the lower dash-part is hard plastic, while all the other parts are wrapped in Alcantara/Leather. This plastic should be either soft-coated or also in Leather. But this is the only down!

Would I buy a GLS - probably not. Why? After 4 weeks I was bored of it. There have been many tiny details I wasn't happy with it. It all comes down to some things I don't like in any kind of Mercedes - seats (after 1 hour it feels horrible), steering feel (all Mercedes feel spongy). Entertainment and Navigation - just odd to use (btw same in my SLS - but there I don't really care), etc. After all - I'm happy I had the chance to drive the car for 4 weeks and knowing I will never buy one.  

With three kids you might want to have one of the big ones - this leaves you with GLS, Range Rover or Q7. I said it in one of the other posts - the Q7 is a great car (friend owns one) - but you have to like the appearance. In your case I would make sure to test-ride a Range Rover (the proper one, not the Sport, not the Disco). 

Good luck with your decision.

Volvo improved the design but their reputation in Germany (and Europe?) is not really good, if you are looking for a sporty/luxury image. angry I have to admit however that I like how the new XC90 looks.

Ouch...I just looked up how much the top version costs...over 100k EUR with full options. No thanks. 

@Lars: I agree, after the Cayenne GTS/Turbo and maybe the X5M, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is the sportiest SUV on the market. The handling is amazing for such a heavy car and from standstill, the acceleration is impressive (best measured time is 4.4 seconds from stand still, no kidding but my dealer has changed throttle response to cope with some installed flap exhaust system issues). Even the standard car does 0-100 kph in 4.9-5.0 seconds, so... Actually, I think that many underestimate the SRT, maybe because it is a Jeep? Smiley Still, I won't get another one. Too many little issues and my dealer is too far away. For someone looking for a fast and relatively inexpensive family car, the SRT is perfect. Geiger Cars Munich sells the EUROPEAN (no grey import) SRT for 67k EUR (incl. 19% VAT). For this kind of money, you usually get a better Diesel SUV. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lars, the GLS might have solved some of your issue (except for the lackluster infotainment) and you should really look at the AMG version for sportiness... Not fair to put the SRT vs the GL550.

Porker:

For example a CLS Shooting Brake, would that not offer sufficient size? Seems to offer great style and more fun than any SUV can offer?

You don't realize how much stuff sometimes we have to fit in the car when we are the 5 of us . Imagine going to ski holidays, or transporting bicycles, or when we go to our chalet and take furniture, food etc.... + my wife will favor a 7 seater if we can .  

This car is more like a transport car , not a car we drive as a DD . I have my Carrera, my wife has her Mini JCW .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

SciFrog:

Lars, the GLS might have solved some of your issue (except for the lackluster infotainment) and you should really look at the AMG version for sportiness... Not fair to put the SRT vs the GL550.

You are true with the Infotainment - that went much better. But sadly it is still the small unit, not the one of the S-Class /E-Class. 

And - I have to put the SRT vs the GL550, actually I should have put the GL350 against as this is the same price league  Smiley . But you are absolutely right - the AMG wouldn't have let me bored. But still - the seats are a problem and I always always always have back pain when driving a Mercedes, whatever model it is (my wife has the same issue).

And one more yes - the new GLS interior is looking awesome, but you have to pay for it highly. 

Gnil:
    Porker:

For example a CLS Shooting Brake, would that not offer sufficient size? Seems to offer great style and more fun than any SUV can offer?

You don't realize how much stuff sometimes we have to fit in the car when we are the 5 of us . Imagine going to ski holidays, or transporting bicycles, or when we go to our chalet and take furniture, food etc.... + my wife will favor a 7 seater if we can .  

This car is more like a transport car , not a car we drive as a DD . I have my Carrera, my wife has her Mini JCW .

For this kind of purpose, I can highly recommend the Jeep GC SRT. Inexpensive transport machine with lots of room, comfort and a beast of an engine. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Gnil:

The other day I was being a G in a roundabout . Sad view . I would never buy such an old car , unless I would like on a farm in some remote country .

G500 or G63? Completely different experience. Also, the latest facelift brought a lot of modern tech to the G class.

We are looking ( again ) to change our family car . Need lots of space as we have 3 kids .  Last year when I looked I could not decide on any of the cars I tried ( X5, Range Rover Sport ) as they all felt dead boring or not practical for us . So I left it and leaped my old horrible family car . But now the gear box is giving up . I have to change.

In the last 3 days, I test drove a Range Rover Discovery diesel 3.0 , a GL ( S ) 350 ,  a GLE 450,  and a Q7 3.0 TDI

Never ever a Diesel again. Boring. Only advantage: Fuel consumption.

Surprisingly the best seems to be the Q7 . The most modern, light for it s size, only diesel I ever drove that felt ok, good handling for such a big car  and It was my wife's favorite ( she did't like the old Q7 at all )   I would take it with the petrol engine ( if I can try it out before ) 

The new Q7 is actually quite interesting but at the same time also very boring looking. It is the novelty factor which attracts attention, it will fade off fast. Audi also plans a very interesting hybrid and a sportier version with V8 (I think), so maybe worth considering.

I just hesitate with a GLE 500 . That could be quite nice . The trunk is actually pretty big for it's size .

Not a fan of Mercedes SUVs, with the exception of the G class or maybe the new (and bigger than GLE) GLS.

In a big SUV for the family, only a nice V8 is fun. My wife's Macan Turbo is quick and everything but I actually enjoy driving the Jeep GC SRT more.

Oh boy do I miss my Cayenne GTS (V8)...you cannot imagine.

Right now, I would look for a new X5M, Cayenne Turbo facelift or Range Rover Sport SVR.

Or anything similar with a V8 engine.

It was indeed a G500. But they thing balanced like it was ready to roll . Anyway, I am not a fan of old tech in new cars. That was the same problem when I test drove the Defender. It has it's charm, but not as a new car .

I also said, I would never get a diesel again .it is not my thing . Boring, frustrating, dead as a horse shoe . But this is the first time a diesel was better . And I tested the MB diesel the day before and that one was so Smiley . The Audi one felt alive and raved... only the sound was horrible . Not that I will necessarily pick up the diesel, I still much favor the petrol, but , it got me thinking .

There is a SQ7 coming this year, with a rumored V8 diesel , triple electric turbo  . Interesting , but I do not want to over invest in this car. I will hardly drive it .  It will only be used for ' transportation ' when needed . A bit like your SRT .

The X5 , the RRS and the Cayenne are out , as not enough space for us 

--

RC:

Volvo improved the design but their reputation in Germany (and Europe?) is not really good, if you are looking for a sporty/luxury image. angry I have to admit however that I like how the new XC90 looks.

Ouch...I just looked up how much the top version costs...over 100k EUR with full options. No thanks. 

@Lars: I agree, after the Cayenne GTS/Turbo and maybe the X5M, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT is the sportiest SUV on the market. The handling is amazing for such a heavy car and from standstill, the acceleration is impressive (best measured time is 4.4 seconds from stand still, no kidding but my dealer has changed throttle response to cope with some installed flap exhaust system issues). Even the standard car does 0-100 kph in 4.9-5.0 seconds, so... Actually, I think that many underestimate the SRT, maybe because it is a Jeep? Smiley Still, I won't get another one. Too many little issues and my dealer is too far away. For someone looking for a fast and relatively inexpensive family car, the SRT is perfect. Geiger Cars Munich sells the EUROPEAN (no grey import) SRT for 67k EUR (incl. 19% VAT). For this kind of money, you usually get a better Diesel SUV. Smiley

Certainly I don't mind that the SRT is kind of low prices. Especially with a small kid it feels better when she doesn't take care that much Smiley

The X5M might be an option, but hey - there are millions of X5 out there and this is exactly what I love on the GC. Not many on the street and the SRT really stands out (especially our red car). If I get an X5 I would probably get a Diesel and not an Petrol based car. Looks the same and the power is more than enough.

The Cayenne is a no-go for us, as first of all it has the least space of all comparable SUVs and second neither my wife or I like the design (personal taste). 

.... that saying ... no idea what to do next. We will have to make a decision by July...  Smiley

Mithras:

Yeah, I think the CLS Shooting Brake is pretty damn sexy. And in 63S form fast as you'd ever need.

I also like shooting brakes , but they are not suited for a family with 3 kids . Just imagine the 3 teenagers sitting in the back seats .

--

Mithras:
    Gnil:
    Mithras:

Gnil, honestly try the new Volvo xc90. Much better looking than the old one, wonderful interior, 7 seats etc...

My wife does not want a Volvo Smiley

And that in a nut shell is why Volvo has such a hard time. The whole "Honestly! Try it, I know it's a Volvo but..."

I think it will take another generation to fix/change.

My wife has a very good  friend who loves her old Volvo and is getting the new one .  They do actually sell very well over here , but they also do have that stigma ....  Maybe I make the effort just to go and look at it at the dealer Smiley

--

SciFrog:

Don't overlook the new interior of the GLS, it seems fantastic... Still thinking about a red GLS AMG 63 to replace the very old Q7... Or a 550...

They only had the old one at the garage . The new one is available in April . But the inside is exactly the same one as the GLE , which I tried. Yes, it is better , but I was more impressed by the Audi interior which has clean lines . The style is just different . To drive the GL350 was horrible . Dead boring , like a tank .  Maybe the 63 has a very different chassis set up , but still, this car is old .  And the chassis of the GLE and GLS are actually exactly the same one . One is just longer .

--

Gnil:

And the Q7 is big enough? Seems the same as RRS, X5 or the SRT... Only the GL (GLS), Escalade and such are bigger. Hence my leaning towards the GLS (Escalade doesn't handle well at all vs german competition). As a plus the GL350 we drove extensively for a week in Italy was much more confortable than our old Q7 especially in the third row. In a league of its own actually.

Gnil:
    SciFrog:

Don't overlook the new interior of the GLS, it seems fantastic... Still thinking about a red GLS AMG 63 to replace the very old Q7... Or a 550...

They only had the old one at the garage . The new one is available in April . But the inside is exactly the same one as the GLE , which I tried. Yes, it is better , but I was more impressed by the Audi interior which has clean lines . The style is just different . To drive the GL350 was horrible . Dead boring , like a tank .  Maybe the 63 has a very different chassis set up , but still, this car is old .  And the chassis of the GLE and GLS are actually exactly the same one . One is just longer .

Old? Brand new GL was introduced in 2013... As said above, in our experience it drove way better than anything else we tried except the Cayenne which is too small.

I am not too familiar with Mercedes but the GLS interior is supposed to be nicer than the GLE one. They are placing the GLS as the S class of SUVs...

Lars997:

@Gnil - we just had a GL550 as a rental for our 4 week US trip last Oct/Nov. 

I had to say, that I almost bought one 2 years ago (instead of the SRT). I really like the appearance and the space of the car. The car is very smooth to ride, the engine was powerful enough. Certainly, not like the SRT but therefore much more smooth. BUT - after 4 weeks I couldn't wait to get back in my SRT. The SRT drives like a sports car. For us the Jeep is the main family car, so I have some fun when driving the family trips! Also - there are many things I love on the SRT - Appearance, Engine, Sound System (sounds better than the Burmester in the Cayenne IMO), Seats (never had back pain in it). Only thing I would love different - the lower dash-part is hard plastic, while all the other parts are wrapped in Alcantara/Leather. This plastic should be either soft-coated or also in Leather. But this is the only down!

Would I buy a GLS - probably not. Why? After 4 weeks I was bored of it. There have been many tiny details I wasn't happy with it. It all comes down to some things I don't like in any kind of Mercedes - seats (after 1 hour it feels horrible), steering feel (all Mercedes feel spongy). Entertainment and Navigation - just odd to use (btw same in my SLS - but there I don't really care), etc. After all - I'm happy I had the chance to drive the car for 4 weeks and knowing I will never buy one.  

With three kids you might want to have one of the big ones - this leaves you with GLS, Range Rover or Q7. I said it in one of the other posts - the Q7 is a great car (friend owns one) - but you have to like the appearance. In your case I would make sure to test-ride a Range Rover (the proper one, not the Sport, not the Disco). 

Good luck with your decision.

I had the same impression with the GL350 . I felt old just by sitting in it Smiley . And I agree on the seat . Not comfortable . My wife also did not find them confortable . 

I did not look at the Range Rover as I have ruled it out as that one is really too big . But I will check the exact dimensions to see . 

--

Gnil:
    Porker:

Fair enough, but if it is just transport, and not used all that often, I would not throw too much money at it... It's never going to be something you enjoy to drive or enjoy being in. 

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

RC:

--

I have a Jeep dealer 5 minutes from my home . I have been tempted by the SRT , but a few problems . The trunk is not big enough . Problems to fit winter wheels/tires . And my wife does not find it too attractive .  They are a few driving around here . The sound is nice and , personally, I like the look too 

--

Gnil:
    RC:

I have a Jeep dealer 5 minutes from my home . I have been tempted by the SRT , but a few problems . The trunk is not big enough . Problems to fit winter wheels/tires . And my wife does not find it too attractive .  They are a few driving around here . The sound is nice and , personally, I like the look too 

The SRT is not an 7 seater. BUT - the trunk is huge (certainly not like the GL). We compared all cars 2 years ago and from a 5-seater, this was the biggest trunk. The only car where you can stand up 6 50cm suitcases and even put 2 trolley in. This is actually a live safer!

SciFrog:
    Gnil:

And the Q7 is big enough? Seems the same as RRS, X5 or the SRT... Only the GL (GLS), Escalade and such are bigger. Hence my leaning towards the GLS (Escalade doesn't handle well at all vs german competition). As a plus the GL350 we drove extensively for a week in Italy was much more confortable than our old Q7 especially in the third row. In a league of its own actually.

The Q7 has actually more space for the legs on the 2nd row  then the GLS

Trunk of the GLS is 680 liter , the X5 is 650 ,  Q7 is 890 and the RRS looked the smallest ( don't have the liters ) 

But another important thing . The seats on the 2nd row. The RRS is a tiny little space . It is not a real 3 seater . Again the best seat is in the Q7 as it is a real seat that you can even move separately  . Better then in the GLS as this one is a ' bench' and has less shoulder space 

--

Gnil:

The trunk is quite big, make no mistake. Bigger than in the X5 or the Cayenne we had.

Winter tires are no problem. The 295 Pirelli Scorpion Winter I have are amazing and work well even in deep snow, the only problem is chains (sometimes needed for winter sports or in certain regions) but I found a very interesting solution...Spikes Spider (it works well with the huge tire size). In snow, the Jeep is basically like a tank, you just drive through it. Smiley The snow mode (switchable) is quite useful, it starts the car in 2nd gear and works pretty well.

My wife isn't a big fan of how the Jeep looks but once she realized how people are starring at the car and actually seem to like it, she changed her opinion (wives... Smiley). Our Jeep is in black with huge matte black rims, it looks pretty impressive in my opinion. Of course this is a matter of personal taste but my kids always tell me during our vacations how other kids tell them how cool the car is. What does the heart of a father want more? Smiley In Europe, the Jeep SRT is an exotic, Americans are probably less impressed with it. Smiley

jepp.jpg

--

SciFrog:
    Gnil:
    SciFrog:

Old? Brand new GL was introduced in 2013... As said above, in our experience it drove way better than anything else we tried except the Cayenne which is too small.

I am not too familiar with Mercedes but the GLS interior is supposed to be nicer than the GLE one. They are placing the GLS as the S class of SUVs...

The car felt old .... it was the 350 . So maybe there is a HUGE difference between that one ant the 63 Smiley

The salesman told me that the cabin is exactly the same one , and so is the chassis , except the GLS is longer . ( but maybe he does not know what he was taking about , it would not be the first time salesmen don't know their stuff.)  If you look at the size , it seems  very true . The car is exactly the same width .

--

Porker:
    Gnil:
    Porker:

Fair enough, but if it is just transport, and not used all that often, I would not throw too much money at it... It's never going to be something you enjoy to drive or enjoy being in. 

That's why the Q7 could actually be the best car . It is also the cheapest .

--

Eric,

New Q7 with AWS and some nice goodies is an amazing SUV. Even 3.0TDi is powerfull enough for "just transport". New 8speed autobox excellent as well. Yes, it looks pretty conservative design wise. But, maybe this is a good thing actually?

So why does the Q7 have such a large trunk but small seats in the back? The GL is the only one with "real" seats.

Our local Audi dealer called me last week with a special new Q7 lease offer for an "ultra 3.0 TDi". Don't have a clue how much power this engine has but I think something between 220-260 hp. I only looked up the car briefly, I think it does 0-100 kph in 7.1 seconds or so. No initial payment and I think 580 EUR incl. VAT per month for three years, 15k km and 36 months. Special model with business related options but well equipped.

If I didn't have the SRT, maybe tempting... 

Update: Just looked up the power figure of that lease offer...218 hp. Doesn't sound much but for the city, probably sufficient. Not so much on the Autobahn, I remember how much I liked the Cayenne Diesel in the city but on the Autobahn, over 120-140 kph, it sucked big time. Smiley

--

SciFrog:

So why does the Q7 have such a large trunk but small seats in the back? The GL is the only one with "real" seats.

You re right about the 3 rd row . The best one is in the GLS . In the Q7 they are more like ' emergency  seats ' The Mercedes is higher .   I looked again at the trunk dimensions , 890 is without the 3rd row option. With it is 770

--

If you want to buy the car and not lease it, maybe you should consider the (previous model) GL 63 AMG? There are some nice offers under 100k for only slightly used cars.

--

RC:

If you want to buy the car and not lease it, maybe you should consider the (previous model) GL 63 AMG? There are some nice offers under 100k for only slightly used cars.

I checked them out . Here they are still in the 120k region . Not sure I want to put that much in a car that will sit most of the time in the parking + I actually do not see myself in a MB . I can't really say why, but each time I want to get one , I feel old as soon as I sit in one .  I am more and more convinced with the Q7 . It s technology is way ahead of all the others and I like that in a new car .

--

The new Q7 looks more masculine than the old one, but also a lot more boring...

SciFrog:

The new Q7 looks more masculine than the old one, but also a lot more boring...

try driving a GLS 350 .... Smiley

--

I drove a 2014 GL350 diesel for a week. It drove way better and was more confortable than our 4.2 premium Q7... It felt too big for Italy cities but for US that's not a problem. Confort for people in the third row was on a whole other level (we had 7 or 8 people in the car). It had good torque but felt underpowered, the 550 or AMG version should fix that. The infotainment is not good but I would only consider one with CarPlay anyway. I also drove a previous generation GL450 for a week and was impressed by the engine acceleration. The rest of the car was dated but the car is now on a new chassis (2013). The new ones should only be better. Air suspension worked great.

I am expecting the GLS to have an upgraded interior with much nicer two tone color vs boring black, and now the GLS can even be ordered in red exterior. I don't like Mercedes but for large SUV the GLS has no equivalent. One huge down point is the look. Not fantastic but since the competition is not really better...

Why is the Q7 technology ahead? The GLS has all the latest generation driving aids and an up to date engine and transmission (the AMG even has 7 speed PDK?). The chassis is 2013 vs 2015, not sure it's that much ahead.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    762210 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435224 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260451 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257510 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80925 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872109 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807495 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM