Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

olli:

Hi Peter,

all the negatives have been related to admin and service issues like the lengthy and bumpy road to ownership and delivery, the recent recall (change of spark plugs and coils), etc.

All the positives have been related directly to the car itself. While it is definitely not the fastest car in a straight line I have ever owned or driven, there is just no comparison to the engine sound "drama" in the higher revv range above 5000 rpm. Plus the grip level, turn-in precision and the overall handling agility are truly amazing and enjoyable. IMO the RS shrugs off long track days like no other street-legal car. 

Were it not for the rather ostentatious rear wing, it would even be a great stealthy race car-turned DD, given its excellent manners (almost completely normal 911 type usability, with PDK in auto mode and all settings in normal) in real world driving situations. As always, the one thing you would miss if you have ever owned a TT/TTS is the latters higher torque, but that is the nature of the N/A beast.

So, overall, I would rate it at least 9 out of 10.

sounds excellent olli. i am really very much looking forward to the delivery of the car in late april. i was not fully convinced of the 488GTB and the confirmation of the RS slot was a wonderful and totally unexpected surprise.

still agonizing about the color choice. my wife wants white but i really like GT silver though. if we go white (we most likely will given how those things are decided in our family usually:::))) i'll put some decals on. after all, with that rear wing there is no hiding anyway:::)))

peter

pmarkow:

at least two GT3RS owners in germany have had their cars blocked at the PC for weeks now due to the rear tires touching the inner wheel linings. the owners claim that there has been no information from PAG how they plan to deal with the issue. i have no idea of knowing whether the cars are stock or modified for track use (i guess the claim is stock and there is no reason to doubt this). anyway, have GT3RS owners here had this or similar issues (maybe the front wheels..)?

cheers peter

I've had some rubbing in the front. I have not been able to take a closer look at it so I do not know how much it is.

It is from the compression before Schwedenkreutz at Nordshleife.
    I don't recall having an issue in Fuchsröhre but I did'n t drive there so fast - it was wet.
    I'm expecting rubbeing there too.

Factory setup

Kobalt:
    pmarkow:

at least two GT3RS owners in germany have had their cars blocked at the PC for weeks now due to the rear tires touching the inner wheel linings. the owners claim that there has been no information from PAG how they plan to deal with the issue. i have no idea of knowing whether the cars are stock or modified for track use (i guess the claim is stock and there is no reason to doubt this). anyway, have GT3RS owners here had this or similar issues (maybe the front wheels..)?

cheers peter

I've had some rubbing in the front. I have not been able to take a closer look at it so I do not know how much it is.

It is from the compression before Schwedenkreutz at Nordshleife.
    I don't recall having an issue in Fuchsröhre but I did'n t drive there so fast - it was wet.
    I'm expecting rubbeing there too.

Factory setup

kobalt,

did you talk to porsche about this?

p

In terms of colour choice, I went for white with black rims, but if I had to do it again it would probably go for silver with standard dark silver rims.

I saw a 991 GT3 in that combo yesterday and it looked both stunning and elegant.

pmarkow:
    kobalt,

did you talk to porsche about this?

p

No. I have not... yet.

i will tell that to my wife:::)))

I had a chat with a Porsche Motorsport rep at the Essen Motorshow and as he explained how rigorously they tested the GT4 Clubsport I couldn't hold back and asked why is it then that many GT3RS drivers experience the inner liner rubbing.

He began then to say something like they had to extract the last ounce of performance of the car by fitting these wide tyres and that it so close to a race car that one has to live with it. For him it seemed like a wearable part and I had the impression that Porsche does know about it but will not change anything in regard of the inner liners. According to him, if it really bothers you, just raise the car by 3mm (if that would be enough I don't know).

Mike

I think Andreas Preuninger mentioned (somewhere) about the liners and the wheels touching.

I thought initially that this would only be a problem when turning the the steering wheel to the full right/left -  I have the same problem with my old car.

A serious problem with the tight fitness might be that we may not be able to run the car with the suspension setup we wish... Why buy a car where you can change the setup of the chassi in almost motorsport fashion but not be able to do it without the indicators falling of the car?

Kobalt:

Why buy a car where you can change the setup of the chassi in almost motorsport fashion but not be able to do it without the indicators falling of the car?

Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:
    Kobalt:

Why buy a car where you can change the setup of the chassi in almost motorsport fashion but not be able to do it without the indicators falling of the car?

Smiley

Yeh, they need to modify those damn indicators.  Smiley

--

fritz

Peter (Trakcar) over at Rennlist destroyed his front liners and wore his rear liners at the track during his ED. Peter, as your car will be used on the road I would imagine with stock alignment this will not be an issue.

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 991 GT3, 1994 993C2 6spd RS spec, 2016 Cayman GT4 (on order)

fritz:
    bluelines:
    Kobalt:

Smiley

bison-glue.jpg

RS Glue

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    Kobalt:

Smiley

bison-glue.jpg

RS Glue

Supplied ex-factory in the trunk alongside the racing 6-point belts and fire extinguisher.   Smiley

--

fritz

macca993:

Peter (Trakcar) over at Rennlist destroyed his front liners and wore his rear liners at the track during his ED. Peter, as your car will be used on the road I would imagine with stock alignment this will not be an issue.

mark,

i surely agree but it is a bit disconcerting, isn't it?

p

macca993:

Peter's car was not on factory set up . It had been modified, and actually quite badly .

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

I think the word modified is inaccurate. It had had its geometry adjusted with more aggressive cambers. To the best of my knowledge this had been conducted by professionals. He had even raised the car in order t reduce the rubbing issue and from what I understand is not the only one to have experienced the rubbing at The Ring or other tracks in Europe.

AP gave a heads up to the compromises accepted by the design team when going to a 21" rear tyre. They obviously had their work cut out for them in terms of lifting the bar significantly on their previous offering (GT3). The rear springs n the RS for example are now progressive rather than linear as they are on the GT3 and the keeper springs are incorporated int the strut design rather than sitting free on top.

IMO the front rubbing is more an issue of castor than camber. Altering castor by adjusting camber (beyond -2.0) without using shims and a modified LCA inset will alter castor and create increased rubbing n the front liner near the indicator. This is true on the GT3 and exaggerated on the RS due to the shape of the liner (as the indicator is "fatter"). 

I think the rear 21" is a bit of a compromise in the RS. The benefits of the additional width I am not sure counter the real world practicality of finding a wide breadth of tyre options for those using the car at the track and of curse the 21" tyres are more expensive. In a decade time there will be 21" R cmps available by a number of manufacturers but by then most RS will probably be in private collections! After two years we are nly just hearing that Hoosier will be making 20" R7 for advanced track work in 2016 (if the rumour comes true). At this time there are two options in GT3 sizes available for the track. 

I understand why the factory wanted 21" because it increases the contact patch around 5% over using a 325 on a 20" rim. Im Just not sure that the overall compromises in tyre availability and cost for the track rats is worth the 1 or 2 tenths this change realises at the track and the potential for limiting the geometry (without causing liner destruction), tyre choice and cost.

These are my views on the subject. Kept on factory geo and used on the road as PeterM will be I see no issues for concern however...

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well AP said the tires will have slight rubbing at the extreme compression setting, but in most cases the tire location will not be at the extreme spot for long, unless the geometry is modified from the factory setting. Then all bets are off.

The front will rub against the plastic grill at the end points of the travel more than the rear touching the liners, and those times are mostly on track, that's why the grill are removable for track duties. 

Different individuals will have different driving styles and have different suspension settings, but I believe Porsche had a look at all their test drivers and deemed that the factory setting are good enough for those guys without too much trouble and will be good for the consumers.

If one's driving style needs to have the tires rubbed against the fender linings all the time, maybe perhaps they will need to use a different approach or switch the wheels to the smaller GT3 ones. 

--

The factory settings are Ok for the most part (Ive tried a range of settings) but the tyre wear can become the issue as you start to really get confidence on the platform. -1.5F/R is fairly conservative for a track oriented car and many who are quick but want to make the most of their expensive MPSC2 will use that as a start point. Out of interest PAG have been using the same cambers for the GT3 since 6.1. Generally RS owners that will use the car extensively on the track will not hold onto the factory settings for long. Elevation of track, compression of speed etc will differ track to track. If you read Peters diary youll get an idea of the tracks in Europe (or parts of) at least where the issue was most predominant. 

Peter had his car set up at Two german shops (one may have been Manthay IIRC). Fact remains others have experienced the issue I guess otherwise Im not sure why PAG would have sanctioned the cars mentioned above?

I moved the castor on the GT3 by 0.3' and got slight wheel rubbing at my local track Hampton Downs. It dissapears at the factory settings (which I have returned to). The track has a 60kmph corksrew. I carry 1.44G here with my 993RS spec track car on Z221 Hankook and 1.36 in the GT3 on MPSC2. Corners like this will show up any clearnce issues. First RSs delivered here run front and rear there out of the box.

--

pmarkow:
    macca993:

mark,

i surely agree but it is a bit disconcerting, isn't it?

p

Peter. It will unlikely never be an issue for you. I doubt you will hear the liners touch more than a handful of times on the road. This is just a situation of function over form. AP acknowledged the compromise on film before the car was delivered so its a known quantity. This is nit an issue of reliability....

:-)

--

macca993:

I think the word modified is inaccurate. It had had its geometry adjusted with more aggressive cambers. To the best of my knowledge this had been conducted by professionals. He had even raised the car in order t reduce the rubbing issue and from what I understand is not the only one to have experienced the rubbing at The Ring or other tracks in Europe.

The geometry had been changed, that is correct. I was there in Dijon when he changed his first correction to another one , done by ' visual' , before he went back to this last guy to have it done properly ( a shop based at the Ring ) .

The first '' adjustment'' was very badly done and looked more like someone tried something without knowing what he was doing . That's when his car started to touch and made these holes on the lining . As soon as the other guy in Dijon ( German guy ) changed that setting everything got better, even the feeling of the car and his track time . If I am not mistaking ( I wasn't there after that day ) the rubbing was not an issue after that .

Don't get me wrong , I also think AP when to the limit of the limit and that creates some rubbing that ideally should not be there, specially if it compromises personal settings . What I' m saying is that too much rubbing at the moment seems to come from bad personal settings . Another car over here had the same problem , but the guy also changed the factory setting way too much . He lowered it to the maximum he could. And I don't think that helped a bit on improving track time .

--

this week-end ihave an invitation from Porche France at PEC at Le Mans.

I drive the gt3 RS in full track mode :) (mine have 2000 km and i'm at 5000 rpm during breaking) and the car is Awesome, very easy, a racing motor, the chassis incredible, the "noise" (sorry the music is like a hard rock concert) ;) ...It's the perfect track road car

I see the GT4 in red ( clubsport package) and a very nice car, really a big improvment in design like a "classic cayman" not the same car in visual.

notice the color of the centerlock on the photo . very bad... you have that guys on your car?

Some photos :

IMG_0255.jpgIMG_0254.jpgIMG_0256.jpgIMG_0257.jpgIMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg1449436161115IMG_0262.jpg

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

LP997:

this week-end ihave an invitation from Porche France at PEC at Le Mans.

I drive the gt3 RS in full track mode :) (mine have 2000 km and i'm at 5000 rpm during breaking) and the car is Awesome, very easy, a racing motor, the chassis incredible, the "noise" (sorry the music is like a hard rock concert) ;) ...It's the perfect track road car

I see the GT4 in red ( clubsport package) and a very nice car, really a big improvment in design like a "classic cayman" not the same car in visual.

notice the color of the centerlock on the photo . very bad... you have that guys on your car?

I tracked it before too, and yes the RS is so easy to handle on the track yet it is so capable. Unbelievable how Porsche can make the car's performance so accessible. 

I agreed with the noise, it is a perfect blend of high notes and low notes. I wouldn't change a thing.

--

Great pictures.

Some of the top alignment guys still swear by using the string and rods :-)

So excess rubbing is not an issue on rad or track if you keep the factory setting and height. All good.

The CL ring is anodised black. If some types of wheel cleaner are left to sit on this it will go the colour like the photograph. I think the amonia based products are best to stay away. You can see on the photo there are also marks on the brake "hat" and wheel spokes from this.

--

laugh

PORSCHE 991 GT3 RS CRASH IN MONZA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXoWa-i8sKg

Sorry to see that - hopefully no sore necks after that...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

LP997 : thanks for the pics . It must of been a real blast ! My car has now been put to sleep until spring .

Cobalt : At least it is not  Darius . The car has a very nice deco !

--

Gnil:

LP997 : thanks for the pics . It must of been a real blast ! My car has now been put to sleep until spring .

why put to sleep over winter? just slap the winter wheels on .....

peter

Cobalt : At least it is not  Darius . The car has a very nice deco !

pmarkow:
    Gnil:

why put to sleep over winter? just slap the winter wheels on .....

peter

I have enough other cars where I put winter wheels on . I' ll keep the RS for the better time of the year, even if I would of loved to try it on the snow .  During the winter month I would not have much time to drive it anyway . I spend every week end on the ski slopes ,

--

Gnil:
    During the winter month I would not have much time to drive it anyway . I spend every week end on the ski slopes

I'm sorry you have such a difficult life, Eric SmileySmiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763517 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435986 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260810 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257770 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82558 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5324 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872830 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808325 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM