Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Gallardo.review after 1.5month,2000km

after 2000km and 1,5 month ,i am posting some pictures and writing my impressions of the car compared to my previous ferrari's and porsches.
    ---general:
    the thing i liked the most about the G is the fact that its a mixture of porsche and ferrari ,taking the best of both worlds: german engineering,quality,performance and reliability ; with italian looks,design and emotion... the car has given me much more than i expected from it ,i had no previous lambo ,and i had an idea that it was a second choice ferrari,i was completly wrong .the car is relatively new(since the audi takeover),and the change is so big that people cant realise the difference until they drive or own one .
    i know 2 cars that have the same case than lambo: bentley and range rover, both of them were a reliability disaster and since they were taken over by the germans(VW for bentley,bmw for range rover,before ford),they became perfect cars.
    these are few main points that i can compare:
    ---build quality:
    it is excellent! much superior to ferrari,very close ,if not equal to porsche .the second you step in ,you feel it,everything is well put together,well assembled,no small defects inside and outside,its rock solid!
    ---chassis,suspension and awd:
    this car seems welded to the ground,the road holding is great,i can take turns at a speed i could never dream of in my previous 360 , no bling bling and ratlling from the suspension whatsoever,everything is well bolted.another advantage is the road holding after 240kph,i went several times to 300kph,and,nothing,you could easily remove one hand from the steering wheel,it is as stable at 300kph as it is at 150kph,amazing.for comparison,my 360 frony nose started to become light and floating after 240kph ,very scary experience . when i bought the car i was worried about the fact that its an awd,it meant no fun,but thanks to the 70/30 awd set up,you dont feel it ,i drive it mostly like a rwd ,it will easily spin on first gear without esp and will take a 30degrees drift on second gear. at this level of power a proper awd will help you more than tease you .the lambo feels comfortable at all kind of roads,twisty,long bends,straight etc.. and this is reflected with the excellent 7.52sec ring time (standard tyres)
    ---performance:
    it is so different than the ferrari, more of a porsche feel ,meaning you feel you are going seriously fast like a tt,the speedo move up at an incredible speed,with the ferrari the sound let you believe you are flying at 160kph ,on the lambo you look at the speedo to understand how fast you are going. in the 430 i driven lately,it was very fast until 210 then after that the speed ascension was much slower ,in the lambo it is the same until top speed ,it never stop to take more speed.
    ---look ,design ,emotion and the rest:
    from all the cars i owned the G is by far the one that draws attention and crowd the most ,it has a huge street presence. as for the design ,of course its a matter of personal taste,but to me it is gorgeous ,i love this jet fighter looks,the inclination of the front windshield gives it a true supercar look. the car has a supercar status ,and it is even more exclusive than a ferrari(from its launch to this date around 3000G's have been manufactured)
    one other thing that i like is the fact that it is equipped with high tech ,to state some some examples: front and lateral airbags!ferrari still offers only front... electricaly retractable mirrors,neither porsche or ferrari offers them...rear view cam,ferrari offered sensors only in 2006...large screen multi purpose radio,navi,tel,etc..where F cars still offers the stupid old style radio.... auto dimming mirrors,not even optional on F cars.. etc...etc...
    ok ,i hear some of you saying that you dont need these options on a sport car,but this is my everyday car ,drive it anywhere,and i am enjoying these options. this is not a sunday car..
    i hope i didnt forgot anything,if i did ,feel free to ask . i am not biased towards ANY manufacturer (have some porsche blood in my veins tough ) ,i love all the cars mentionned above,this is honestly what i felt with the G. greatly recomended , a true 24/7 supercar

Re: Gallardo.review after 1.5month,2000km

another pic

Dimitri, very nice review!
    Let me tell you honestly that I am thinking about one(my wife will kill me...)!
    How about more info about manual gearbox? Shifting quality comparing to Porsche? I like manual also more then e-gear.
    And tell us something about that Gallardo sound, IMO at high revs it is like nuclear detonation!
    And you forgot about lifting system, with this thing you can park G. car almost everywhere...
    Oil consumption? I truly like Gallardo and as you said jet fighter look(and feel!) is unique.
    Kreso

I like this car very much also!

Great review..
    Here in Greece the Lamborghini official service though is terrible.. (everyone complains...)
    I believe that Gallardo is a very serious competitor of Porsche. Especially if they make their E-Gear Transmission a little bit better..

I want to see though the new Gallardo with the 2WD

hi kreso
    the manual gearbox works excellent ,as soon as it reach the working temperature the shift can be very smooth and fast,you know there is the grill ,the shift sound is beautiful,but the throw is longer than the porsche with a short shifter.the good surprise comes from the clutch,it is as easy as a honda clutch, so even if you are stuck in a traffic jam, you will never be annoyed.
    the sound is great,very different from the ferrari that is more musical. i would say it is more serious.it has the same valve system that opens after 3k rpm , and yes at high revs its like a detonation. F sound is more "raffines".
    unfortunatly my car is a 2004 and it doesnt have the lifting system that is standard from 05 and on. in 2000km i didnt added oil yet ,i checked it few days ago maybe it need max a quarter of a liter.
    as for your wife try the technique i did : get her a small diamond and flowers 2 days before you bring the G home, it should work

Quote:
    Aisxos said:

Great review..
    Here in Greece the Lamborghini official service though is terrible.. (everyone complains...)
    I believe that Gallardo is a very serious competitor of Porsche. Especially if they make their E-Gear Transmission a little bit better..

hi aisxos
    since lambo is in the VW group ,the best that can happen,and i think it will,is too have the marvellous dsg box fitted to the G. i cant find a single reason why they didnt do it until now..

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    Quote:
    Aisxos said:

Great review..

hi aisxos
    since lambo is in the VW group ,the best that can happen,and i think it will,is too have the marvellous dsg box fitted to the G. i cant find a single reason why they didnt do it until now..

Ferrari says the DSG is too clinical and doesn't feel sporty and mostly very heavy.

Thanks D, excellent review

Two questions:
    1. Does the (Lambo) silver color look as good as Porsche silver in real life? (I have only seen black Gallardos)
    2. Have you driven the 06 model?

Awesome review Dhayek!!!
    I remember at the rallye de Paris, there was the Lambo importater with a brand new 06 G model and I must admit that it was the best sounding car of the whole bunch!
    I really like this car.
    I hope they will release a 2WD version and mostly, I hope they will make the carbon brakes available on this car (they are on the Murci).
    I honestly don't know which gearbox I'd chose though to be honest.
    One question please, I love the fact it's an everyday useable car, but I've been told luggage space is terrible. Porsche and Ferrari are both excellent in that respect and I think it is important these days, it's nice to leave in vacation with those cars for a week or two.
    Can you store a lot in the front boot and behind the seats?
    Thanks again, great pics too!

hi francois! long time! what do you want them to say? that it is superior,shift faster ,more reliable and dont burn clutches fast?typical ferrari answer. so to follow their logic ,the veyron doesnt feel sporty enough? i doubt..

to temm:
    the silver on the G looks very good,it feels like the car has been sculpted on a piece of titanium ,its more gtsilver than arctic silver if you see what i mean. i didnt drive the 06 yet,but i will soon ,the most significant difference would be the shorter first and second gear IMO.
    to francois:
    i forgot to talk about the brakes in my review,its important, they are unbelievable! everytime somebody comes with me for a ride ,the first comment is :the brakes are spectacular! they are 8pistons! 365mm!.since we dont have a track over here i cant say anything about their resistance,but on normal roads ,even after heavy driving ,you dont feel a change.
    as for the luggage space ,what you heard is true,it is limited,inferior to porsche or ferrari but enough to go for vacation if you use the rear bench and the trunck. a condition que ta meuf ne prenne pas toute son armoire en vacance...

Dimitri, you made my day! Glad to hear so positive comments.

I was thinking to get one soon or later and use it everyday to go to work but was in doubt, now you convinced me.

Hi Dimitri!

Great write-up and good to hear you enjoy the car!

So is there "any" itch you feel about that car? Gas mileage? Apart from the ground clearance, I can't think of any.

Quote:
    Ferdie said:
    Hi Dimitri!

Great write-up and good to hear you enjoy the car!

So is there "any" itch you feel about that car? Gas mileage? Apart from the ground clearance, I can't think of any.

hi ferdie , concerning the ground clearance ,i have my benchmark that is my garage entrance that is underground, the modena used to touch a bit from the middle,as for the gallardo,mine doesnt have the standard height,there is six height that you can choose from that are lambo approved of course,the set up should be done at the lambo garage(adjusting suspension and shock absorber).i am at position 5 now ,and the car is not touching at all while going in my garage. as for the fuel consumption ,yes,it does eat gas,at least 20 to 25 liters/100km in the city,and more while going on a mountain sporty driving.
    as i always say,if you want to get drunk,dont count the glasses

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    to temm:
    the silver on the G looks very good,it feels like the car has been sculpted on a piece of titanium ,its more gtsilver than arctic silver if you see what i mean. i didnt drive the 06 yet,but i will soon ,the most significant difference would be the shorter first and second gear IMO.

Thank you Dimitri!
    Hopefully you will feel the changes in steering and suspension as well. And the sound above 4000 rpm...

Wonderful review Dimitri! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts....and great pictures too! Actually it's so refreshing that you haven't chosen yellow, orange, lime green or black...here in London, I have seen a quite a few Lamborghinis but only in those few colours. That's a shame because I think the Gallardo can look spectacular in a very wide range of colours. It seems nobody chooses a Gallardo in red because of the Ferrari connection with red.

I'm so glad you're enjoying your Gallardo! For me, it is simply the most beautiful of all sports cars. I would order one tomorrow if I could...Enjoy!

Thank you Dimitri. Great write up and very very informative.

You really gave a good owners perspective on F,P and L cars.

Very well done.

I never liked lambos but this car is a beauty indeed. I love the silver on this car. Though I have not driven the Gallardo or Murcielago, I am confident they are high quality cars. Sadly Diablo was not a quality built car, clunky trans, lose body and just imapractical, but hell of an engine on the last series of Diablos. Can you get the Gallardo with 6 speed??

One final question Dimitri:

Have you checked if you can fit the new Callisto wheels on older models? I don't know about you, but I think the older Gallardo wheels look great, but the new Callisto wheels are stunning - the best looking wheel out there, on any car, IMO.

Comparison picture (pictures from Lamborghini Dallas):

And while I'm at it, here's a cool view of the rear view camera in the 06 models (also from Lamborghini Dallas):

Temm, Callsito wheels are awsome! Here is a close up:

Carbon Fibre interior pack also looks good...

My favorite Gallardo colour-Grigio Proteus...

...Nero Serapis...

...Rosso Leto, well, not favorite of mine.

Very cool review Demitri enjoyed reading it first thing in the morning with my coffee .

I'm glad you're enjoying the car that's all is about .

fantastic dimitri~~

i'm close to a silver/blk spyder right now!

dhayek, that car is so nice it is almost beyond words.

Quote:
    dhayek said:
    the thing i liked the most about the G is the fact that its a mixture of porsche and ferrari ,taking the best of both worlds: german engineering,quality,performance and reliability ; with italian looks,design and emotion...

An interesting thought.

It made me wonder - Which car could be said to fit the description: Italian engineering, quality, performance and reliability with German looks, design and emotion?

I'm not sure if I want to know.

Quote:
    fritz said:
    Quote:
    dhayek said:
    the thing i liked the most about the G is the fact that its a mixture of porsche and ferrari ,taking the best of both worlds: german engineering,quality,performance and reliability ; with italian looks,design and emotion...

An interesting thought.

It made me wonder - Which car could be said to fit the description: Italian engineering, quality, performance and reliability with German looks, design and emotion?

I'm not sure if I want to know.

Stop wondering. Go drive by your nearest Opel handler and then throw up.

Mercedes quality levels have found a way to sink lower than Land Rover, they exceed Fiat at its wurst.

VW cant decide if they build cars for fat people or just fat cars, so they dont qualify for Italian emotion,

Porsche is half speed machine and half strategic marketing appliance.

BMW has gotten way to dorky with its Nissan tail lamps and its Korean old school body panel gaps.

Audi cant make a attractive car anymore, they have cornered the Frau Frump design market.

Your winner has to be Opel

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691057 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410182 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256228 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235421 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65750 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4744 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858825 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM