Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: OFFICIAL: new 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

Herbaliser:

For improved high speed acceleration you need horsepower, not improved mid-range torque.  The car is rated at 580hp. It might maintain higher boost in the middle rpm range but obviously not much more at top rpm. Otherwise it wouldn't be only 20hp more. Given the insignificant improvement in the 0-200 acceleration, the 0-300 will be even less significant. So I bet that it's going to be 28+ :)

Let's wait for 2016 tests with AZ / AMuS / Sport Auto and more.

Herbaliser:

For improved high speed acceleration you need horsepower, not improved mid-range torque.  The car is rated at 580hp. It might maintain higher boost in the middle rpm range but obviously not much more at top rpm. Otherwise it wouldn't be only 20hp more. Given the insignificant improvement in the 0-200 acceleration, the 0-300 will be even less significant. So I bet that it's going to be 28+ :)

For 200-300kph acceleration you need the power to b real and not be heat soaked away, this new turbo has bigger turbos which will achieve cooler intake charge at full load. 200 to 300kph will take about 16.5s which is correct for real 580PS on a PDK

My 993 turbo with (engine dyno) real 580PS achieves 200-300 in 17s including lots of manual gear changing.

There are lots of cars out there whose quoted horse power wilts once loaded over 200kph, the 918 being one of them however the "wilt" is all relative Smiley

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.1 bar

TB993tt:
    Herbaliser:

For 200-300kph acceleration you need the power to b real and not be heat soaked away, this new turbo has bigger turbos which will achieve cooler intake charge at full load. 200 to 300kph will take about 16.5s which is correct for real 580PS on a PDK

My 993 turbo with (engine dyno) real 580PS achieves 200-300 in 17s including lots of manual gear changing.

There are lots of cars out there whose quoted horse power wilts once loaded over 200kph, the 918 being one of them however the "wilt" is all relative Smiley

--

Sorry, but for improved accelration you need torque only. HP influence only max speed.

the problem of 991.1. TTS in 200-300 kmh range was heat, heat and heat. and boost was lowered. if I understand right, the heat problem was solved and boost id much higher within this range. thats why 0-300 kmh is now without heat penalty. and will be about 25.8 secs.

Sorry, but for improved accelration you need torque only. HP influence only max speed.

Sorry but this simply isn't true. For 200+ acceleration you only need HP. Torque is almost irrelevant. It shouldn't take much digging to find the physics behind that. 

Herbaliser:

Sorry but this simply isn't true. For 200+ acceleration you only need HP. Torque is almost irrelevant. It shouldn't take much digging to find the physics behind that. 

You are thinking about torque around the peak range I think ? torque and hp are interchangeable, hp is just a number derived from torque so what you actually need is high torque high up the rev range, 860NM @ 7000rpm feels very nice on my 7GT2 and of course quoted as hp doesn't make it pull any less Smiley

--

Meh, who cares. Car was quick enough already. 

TB993tt:
    Herbaliser:

You are thinking about torque around the peak range I think ? torque and hp are interchangeable, hp is just a number derived from torque so what you actually need is high torque high up the rev range, 860NM @ 7000rpm feels very nice on my 7GT2 and of course quoted as hp doesn't make it pull any less Smiley

I am sure it feels great :) But quoted in HP it is 800PS according to your signature - a far more impressive number than 580 :) Torque and HP are not interchangeable. HP = Torque x RPM/5252 so torque and RPM are interchangeable. The movement of the car is a product of HP (work) not by the torque itself. At lower speed acceleration torque is important because you go through the lower RPM as you are accelerating. At high speed acceleration the engine stays in a very narrow top end RPM band where it doesn't matter if the car is high-torque or high-rpm as long as it makes enough HP.

The only possibility for the new Turbo S to be a 25 sec car is if it's horsepower at higher speed is far more than 580 hp.

noone1:

Quick but not benchmark quick :) A 200K euro Porsche should be faster then any other 200K car in every way. It used to be like that. It's not anymore.

Bit OT but TB993tt, why is your signature billboard sized?

Bit much when viewing with Iphone or Ipad. Cool picture though! kiss

spudgun:

+1 Just realized that's signature....
    --

Impressive 0-300 time. Any idea if driving feel is improved? Feels more special?

Herbaliser:

Assume you have two cars with exactly the same weight, aerodynamics and maximum horsepower, but one has an engine tuned for maximum power with less regard for low-down torque and the other has a relatively flat torque curve up to its max power revs. (This is what you would typically get if the first car has a larger displacement naturally aspirated engine and the latter a smaller displacement turbocharged engine).
    If you matched the acceleration of those cars against each other, the high torque engined car would wipe the floor with the low torque variant. 
    As someone else already said, your max power output figure is more significant for defining a car's top speed.

--

fritz

fritz:
    Herbaliser:

Assume you have two cars with exactly the same weight, aerodynamics and maximum horsepower, but one has an engine tuned for maximum power with less regard for low-down torque and the other has a relatively flat torque curve up to its max power revs. (This is what you would typically get if the first car has a larger displacement naturally aspirated engine and the latter a smaller displacement turbocharged engine).
    If you matched the acceleration of those cars against each other, the high torque engined car would wipe the floor with the low torque variant. 
    As someone else already said, your max power output figure is more significant for defining a car's top speed.

You are talking about cars with the same HP. In that case, the one with more torque will win especially at lower speed acceleration. What I am trying to say is that it is impossible for a 580 hp to get to 300km/h as fast a 650 hp car no matter what the torque curve is. Even if there is a wide 1000NM plateau it will only help the low to mid speed acceleration.  

So for Autobahn racing I would take a 650hp engine over 580hp engine no matter the torque (given the rest is equal). That's why the 911 Turbo S is not much faster than the 458 Italia (if at all) at 200+ even though there is a dramatic torque difference.

You cannot talk about acceleration in general. 0-200 is one story with torque, weight, traction playing big role, 200-300 is another where it's all about top-end power (HP), aerodynamics and gearing.   

I dont agree with you sorry. 

580 hp is max.if it is reached far before max rpm? And its long range of this value.

its not the same when max hp is reached at the very end.

lets look at the graphics and see. Only this can help. Thanks?

Herbaliser:
    fritz:
    Herbaliser:

You are talking about cars with the same HP. In that case, the one with more torque will win especially at lower speed acceleration. What I am trying to say is that it is impossible for a 580 hp to get to 300km/h as fast a 650 hp car no matter what the torque curve is. Even if there is a wide 1000NM plateau it will only help the low to mid speed acceleration.  

So for Autobahn racing I would take a 650hp engine over 580hp engine no matter the torque (given the rest is equal). That's why the 911 Turbo S is not much faster than the 458 Italia (if at all) at 200+ even though there is a dramatic torque difference.

You cannot talk about acceleration in general. 0-200 is one story with torque, weight, traction playing big role, 200-300 is another where it's all about top-end power (HP), aerodynamics and gearing.   

The fallacy in the sentence in bold is that the rest is not equal in that comparison. The 650hp engine would also have higher torque than the 580hp engine at engine speeds below the max power speed if the higher powered car has faster acceleration. (Assuming again that weights and aerodynamics are equal). 
    Power figures are derived directly from the torque readings measured on a dynamometer at given engine speeds. 
    You should take your own advice and look into the physics behind it. 

--

fritz

fritz:
    Herbaliser:
    fritz:
    Herbaliser:

The fallacy in the sentence in bold is that the rest is not equal in that comparison. The 650hp engine would also have higher torque than the 580hp engine at engine speeds below the max power speed if the higher powered car has faster acceleration. (Assuming again that weights and aerodynamics are equal). 
    Power figures are derived directly from the torque readings measured on a dynamometer at given engine speeds. 
    You should take your own advice and look into the physics behind it. 

Agree. HP & Torque shlef that matters. Not peak values only. This is the key.

Re: OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

spudgun:

+1 Just realized that's signature.... 

Sorry guys, you are right  Smiley 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

fritz:

The fallacy in the sentence in bold is that the rest is not equal in that comparison. The 650hp engine would also have higher torque than the 580hp engine at engine speeds below the max power speed if the higher powered car has faster acceleration.

I am sorry but this is wrong. Assuming the one car has a high revving n/a engine with 650 hp and the other has a lower revving, high-torque turbo engine with 580, while accelerating from 200 to 300 the 650hp will make less torque at all times and yet will be faster. Why? Because it will run at much higher RPM which will overcompensate the lower torque. Just look at the formula again: HP = Torque X RPM/5252. The fallacy of your statement comes from your assumption that the two engines operate at the same RPM while accelerating from 200 to 300 which is not true.

To simplify it with an example, think about that: when accelerating from 200 to 300 a 458 Speciale is producing far less torque than a 991 Turbo S the entire time. Yet I wouldn't say that the Turbo S wipes the floor with it...

Both of you are partially right and partially wrong.

HP is a product of Torque. In broad sense they are interchangeable simply because how HP is calculated. 

An engine output is primarily measured as torque, HP is just a measure of the amount of work done with those torque output.

Gearing plays a big role in how those engine forces are applied to the road as acceleration, and in the end, how much HP is being put to the wheels to accelerate 

A lower torque output engine spinning faster simply means that combination can get more work done in the same time frame, i.e. propelling the car to a higher speed.

For 2 given cars, with the same gearing, and the same body, i.e. Cd figures, the higher torque output car with have the upper hand in the lower gears, the multiplier advantage from the gears are the greatest. But the higher revving but lower torque output car will gain later on, as the higher rpm limit means each gear will last longer and, and that makes up for the torque deficit, in addition to the higher multiplier from the HP equation. 

--

Whoopsy:

For 2 given cars, with the same gearing, and the same body, i.e. Cd figures, the higher torque output car with have the upper hand in the lower gears, the multiplier advantage from the gears are the greatest. But the higher revving but lower torque output car will gain later on, as the higher rpm limit means each gear will last longer and, and that makes up for the torque deficit, in addition to the higher multiplier from the HP equation. 

That's exactly what I've been saying in the last couple of posts. Torque for the lower speed acceleration, HP for the higher speed acceleration. And since the 0-200 time of the facelifted Turbo S is improved by just 0.2 seconds or so, we shouldn't expect wonders in the 200-300 acceleration time. And slashing 4 seconds from 200 to 300 with just 20hp as promised by RC is nothing short of wonder.

Herbaliser:
    noone1:

Quick but not benchmark quick :) A 200K euro Porsche should be faster then any other 200K car in every way. It used to be like that. It's not anymore.

This, I can agree with. Smiley I miss the "benchmark" performance in this product. Smiley Also, I miss the sound. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

All very well said Nick.  I can see plenty of reasons why a 20 HP improvement in peak-against-peak comparison could make a huge improvement overal

For me, "consider the source" applies here too.  RC doesn't say things like this without certainty on his part, and that usually means inside information, and Porsche is generally pretty conservative on these figures.  So word from RC is pretty solid.

I could carry on further about performance curves, other areas of incremental improvement and so on, but I'm confident in the source and the science on subject here.  Perhaps, after further involvement at RT, "Herbaliser" will come to appreciate that.

I could carry on further about performance curves, other areas of incremental improvement and so on, but I'm confident in the source and the science on subject here.  Perhaps, after further involvement at RT, "Herbaliser" will come to appreciate that.

My "involvement" at RT dates back before 2007 as a silent reader. It's been a great source over the years helping me make better decisions for my car purchases. But together with the great "leaks" there have been numerous times when someone's "P-source" has been wrong...

By March my 488 GTB should be here and I will put it against my Turbo S and the facelifted Turbo S and we will see the truth :) If the 991.2 is so close to the Ferrari, I will immediately trade my 991.1 for it.

Herbaliser:

My "involvement" at RT dates back before 2007 as a silent reader. It's been a great source over the years helping me make better decisions for my car purchases. But together with the great "leaks" there have been numerous times when someone's "P-source" has been wrong...

Whose P-source has been wrong?  Smiley I think that Rennteam has a pretty good record not to be wrong and I am talking about all members here, sharing their information.

By March my 488 GTB should be here and I will put it against my Turbo S and the facelifted Turbo S and we will see the truth :) If the 991.2 is so close to the Ferrari, I will immediately trade my 991.1 for it.

The 488 GTB is a different story here, you cannot compare this car to the facelifted 991.2 Turbo S and yes, I wish you could. The 488 GTB has 670 hp, this is 90 hp more than the facelifted 991.2 Turbo S. The Ferrari is even lighter than the 991.2 Turbo S, so I would be very surprised if the 991.2 Turbo S could keep up with the 488 at speeds over 160 kph (100 mph). Actually, I know it can't (the Huracan is a different story since it has 60 hp less than the Ferrari). From 0-100 kph (62 mph) however, the new 991.2 Turbo S will be faster than your 488, AWD, dynamic boost and all. Smiley Do the couple of fractions of a second better performance really count? Not really but you cannot compare the 488 to the 991.2 Turbo S. Two different cars for different customers in my opinion. 

For me, the 911 Turbo S is still a daily driver with two backseats and an amazing performance. For others, it is a super sports car, compared to cars like the Huracan or the 488. I know that both, the Turbo S and the 488 are in a similar price range but considering the specifics of the German market for example, I can see lots of customers getting a Turbo S but not so many getting a 488. This may look different in the US or other regions on this planet though.

Bottom line is: If I had the money, I would probably own a 488 Spider and a 991.2 Turbo S Cab because both cars would complete each other pretty well in my opinion.

Right now however, if I had to choose two cars (and someone else would pay for them Smiley), I would probably choose a GT3 RS and a Huracan. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Herbaliser:

That's exactly what I've been saying in the last couple of posts. Torque for the lower speed acceleration, HP for the higher speed acceleration. And since the 0-200 time of the facelifted Turbo S is improved by just 0.2 seconds or so, we shouldn't expect wonders in the 200-300 acceleration time. And slashing 4 seconds from 200 to 300 with just 20hp as promised by RC is nothing short of wonder.

Not even counting the 918, but Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S are pretty much the most optimized cars in the world when measuring from 0-something. It's really hard to find gains there, like the 100m sprint in the Olympics, hundredth of a second is all that is to gain. It's a careful management of power output vs the traction available.

It is much easier to find gains on the upper speed range, traction is not an issue so the max output of an engine can be put to good use. I would not be surprised if the new Turbo S is limiting the power output in the lower gears to preserve traction and hence the tiny little gain from 0-200, but when the full output can be utilized from 200-300, it can really make a difference compared with the old car.

--

Whoopsy:
    Herbaliser:

Not even counting the 918, but Porsche 911 Turbo/Turbo S are pretty much the most optimized cars in the world when measuring from 0-something. It's really hard to find gains there, like the 100m sprint in the Olympics, hundredth of a second is all that is to gain. It's a careful management of power output vs the traction available.

It is much easier to find gains on the upper speed range, traction is not an issue so the max output of an engine can be put to good use. I would not be surprised if the new Turbo S is limiting the power output in the lower gears to preserve traction and hence the tiny little gain from 0-200, but when the full output can be utilized from 200-300, it can really make a difference compared with the old car.

The acceleration of the Turbo S is amazing up to 60km/h or so. After that it's numbers are absolutely standard for a 560hp car with all wheel drive weighting 1600kg. Yes, it is hard to find gains in the 0-60 or even 0-100 time. But give it some more HP and the 0-200 time will improve easily. It's just that Porsche is cheap on HP these days. They are squeezing money out of the top 911 range like never before. Why? Because they can.

Don't get me wrong, I am in my second 991 Turbo S and I wouldn't change it for any other car in the world for daily driver but the reality is that it is a 560 (580)hp car and accelerates accordingly. If Porsche had made it 620hp we wouldn't have this debates and would only complain about the exhaust note :)

If the new Turbo S is a 25s car I'd be very happy to wear a T-shirt with an apology: "Sorry RC, you were right." Only that I am not Chriss Harris and no one would care :)

Here's another way to look at it:

The 991.1TTS Top Speed is 318; and the 991.2TTS Top Speed is 12 more, at 330 kpm.  These speeds are getting near the asymptotes of the performance limit for each car, where total friction absorbs all the torque, and the vehicle cannot accelerate further due to lack of surplus torque.  Notice how much closer 318 is to 300 compared to 330. So for the 991.1 the finish line is a lot closer to its speed asymptote than it is for the 991.2. 

Watching the rate of climb on some 991.1TTS videos (youtube) and noting the increasing time needed to climb a set of 10 kpm here is what my chrono said:

250-260 took 1.73 seconds

260-270 took 2.33 seconds

270-280 took 2.98 seconds

280-290 took 3.65 seconds

290-300 took 4.43 seconds

If you accept the statement that the top speed of the 991.2TTS will be 330 kpm and that both vehicles are only speed-limited by friction and not electronics; then if we assume that the acceleration rate near the respective vehicle's top speed is somewhat similar, we can offset these steps and subtract the time difference...

In other words, the time required to increase from 320 to 330 for the 991.2 should be similar to the time required to increase from 308 to 318 for the 991.1.

Subtracting all these "delta T's" would sum up as follows

(4.43-3.65) + (3.65-2.98) + (2.98-2.33) + (2.33-1.73) = 2.7 seconds.

This is a crude way to calculate it, but it also doesn't account for any improvements in the lower speed portion of the comparison either.

Here's the video I used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz1mmKGFRwM

Herbaliser:

... If the new Turbo S is a 25s car I'd be very happy to wear a T-shirt with an apology: "Sorry RC, you were right." Only that I am not Chriss Harris and no one would care :)

Except that we will need pictures. indecision

apias:
    Herbaliser:

... If the new Turbo S is a 25s car I'd be very happy to wear a T-shirt with an apology: "Sorry RC, you were right." Only that I am not Chriss Harris and no one would care :)

Smiley  Smiley It is a 25.x car, maybe 25.9, maybe 25.1, I didn't say anything. Still under 26 seconds. 

Remember when someone in the forum doubted that the 991.1 Turbo S will be a sub 30 seconds car? Well... Smiley

--

RC:
    apias:
    Herbaliser:

Smiley  Smiley It is a 25.x car, maybe 25.9, maybe 25.1, I didn't say anything. Still under 26 seconds. 

Remember when someone in the forum doubted that the 991.1 Turbo S will be a sub 30 seconds car? Well... Smiley

There will be pictures for sure with me wearing that T-shirt, on my way to the showroom to place an order for the 991.2 Turbo S Smiley

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689304 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409080 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255690 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234943 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65498 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857889 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773890 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM