Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - Turbo Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

The top models of the 911 model series – the 911 Turbo and 911 Turbo S – now boast 15 kW (20 hp, 911 Turbo: Combined fuel consumption 9.1 l/100 km, CO2 emissions 212 g/km, 911 Turbo Cabriolet: Combined fuel consumption 9.3 l/100 km, CO2 emissions 216 g/km) more power, a sharpened design and improved features. The models will be available in both coupe and convertible versions from the start. The bi-turbo six-cylinder engine in the 911 Turbo with 3.8 litres of displacement now has a power output of 397 kW (540 hp). This power gain was achieved by modified inlet ports in the cylinder head, new injection nozzles and higher fuel pressure. The 911 Turbo S now develops 427 kW (580 hp) thanks to new turbochargers with larger compressors. Porsche is still the only manufacturer to utilise turbochargers with variable turbine geometry in petrol engines.

The engines now also have what is known as a dynamic boost function to further improve engine response in dynamic operation. It maintains the charge pressure during load changes – i.e. when the accelerator pedal is released briefly. This is achieved by just interrupting fuel injection, whereas the throttle valve remains open. As a result, the engine reacts with practically no delay to another press of the accelerator pedal. The effects of this function are more pronounced in the Sport and Sport Plus modes than in Normal mode.

Overall, the new high-performance sports cars attain breathtaking driving performance, while fuel consumption is reduced even further. The 911 Turbo S Coupé sprints to 100 km/h in 2.9 seconds. Its top speed of 330 km/h is twelve km/h higher than before. The 911 Turbo reaches the 100-km/h mark in 3.0 seconds, and its top speed is 320 km/h – five km/h faster than the previous model. Nevertheless, the coupes only consume 9.1 l/100 km, and the convertibles 9.3 l/100 km. This represents 0.6 litres less fuel per 100 km for all versions. The reason for this is further advanced electronic engine and transmission management with revised gear change mappings.

A standard feature: Sport Chrono Package

The new GT sport steering wheel – 360 mm in diameter and with a design adopted from the 918 Spyder – comes with what is known as a mode switch as standard. It consists of a rotary ring with stepped positions that is used to select one of the four modes Normal, Sport, Sport Plus or Individual. The Individual setting lets the driver configure and store a very individual vehicle setup. Another new feature of the Sport Chrono Package is the Sport Response button at the centre of the mode switch. Inspired by motor racing, it preconditions the engine and gearbox for the best possible responsiveness at the push of a button. In this state, the vehicle can produce optimal acceleration for up to 20 seconds, such as for an overtaking manoeuvre. An indicator in the instrument cluster in the form of a running timer shows the driver the elapsed time. Sport Response functionality can be called up as often as desired and from any of the driving modes.

Porsche Stability Management (PSM) in the 911 Turbo models now has a new PSM Sport Mode. A brief press of the PSM button on the centre console puts the system in a very sporty mode – which is independent of the driving programme that is selected. The separately switched PSM Sport mode alters the PSM’s intervention threshold much more than was the case in Sport Plus mode of the previous model. The new mode makes it possible to approach performance limits even more closely – e.g. on a circuit racetrack. In this mode, the PSM warning lamp lights up, and a message in the instrument cluster indicates that the PSM system's contribution toward driving stability is limited. However, PSM still remains active in background, even in the PSM Sport mode. A long press of the PSM button, though, completely deactivates PSM, as usual.

The chassis of the new 911 Turbo models with PASM as standard now offers an even greater spread between performance and comfort. In addition, the 911 Turbo S offers a full complement of equipment for driving dynamics: PDCC roll compensation is standard as is the PCCB ceramic brake system. New options for all 911 Turbo models include the radar-based lane change assist and a lift system for the front axle that can be used to increase ground clearance by 40 mm at the front spoiler lip at low speeds.

Sharpened design with new characteristics

Naturally, the new generation 911 Turbo adopts significant characteristics of the striking design of today’s Carrera models, supplemented by typical 911 Turbo special features. The newly formed front end with side airblades and precisely laid out narrow LED front lights with double fillets give the front end a wider look in combination with the additional fin in the central air intake. In a side view, the high-performance sports car boasts new 20-inch wheels. On the 911 Turbo S, for instance, the centre lock wheels now feature seven instead of ten double spokes.

Also new are the wheel dimensions for the 911 Turbo: with 9 J x 20 at the front and 11.5 J x 20 at the rear, the new wheels are now each half an inch wider. They are now the same size as the wheels of the 911 Turbo S. The new door handles now come without plastic shell inserts – just like on the Carrera models. The rear body was also thoroughly reworked. Eye-catching at first glance are the three-dimensional rear lights with their four-point brake lights and aura-like illumination, familiar from the 911 Carrera series. The exit openings for the exhaust system at the rear as well as the dual tailpipes were redesigned. The rear lid grille was also redesigned, and it now features three parts: the right and left sections have longitudinal louvres, and in the middle there is a separate cover for optimised air induction for the engine.

New Porsche Communication Management with online navigation

Along with the generation change in models, the newly developed infotainment system, PCM with online navigation, is making its way into the cockpits of the 911 Turbo models as standard. This system can be made out by a multi-touch monitor with high-quality glass surface, which is perfectly integrated into the centre console, and it offers numerous new and extended connectivity functions thanks to the standard Connect Plus module. Navigation can also access the latest traffic information in real time. Routes and places can be visualised with 360-degree images and satellite images. In addition, the system can now process handwritten inputs. Moreover, mobile phones and smartphones can now be integrated more quickly, easily and comprehensively than before via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cable. Select vehicle functions can now be controlled remotely as well. As in the previous models, the Bose sound system is offered as standard; a Burmester system can be delivered as an option.

Re: OFFICIAL: new 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S

thanks! no word about 0-200 times. could you pls give us official times?

Btw, few remarks from my P source...

Only sportscars faster (in acceleration) then 991.2 Turbo S are 488GTB, 650S and 675LT. 

New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S in coupe version and with optional Dunlop Maxx tires are only marginally slower on Hockenheim then 991.1 GT3 RS and equally fast on the Ring.

Not cheap but, full packages.  Faster, both in acceleration and on the track then R8 V10 Plus, Huracan LP580-2/LP610-4 and 570S.

IMHO 991.2 Turbo and Huracan LP580-2 are the best buys.

Links for german price list and brochure soon.

KresoF1:

Btw, few remarks from my P source...

Only sportscars faster (in acceleration) then 991.2 Turbo S are 488GTB, 650S and 675LT. 

New 991.2 Turbo and Turbo S in coupe version and with optional Dunlop Maxx tires are only marginally slower on Hockenheim then 991.1 GT3 RS and equally fast on the Ring.

Not cheap but, full packages.  Faster, both in acceleration and on the track then R8 V10 Plus, Huracan LP580-2/LP610-4 and 570S.

IMHO 991.2 Turbo and Huracan LP580-2 are the best buys.

Links for german price list and brochure soon.

Dear KresoF1,

991.2 TTS is faster than Huracan in all speed range? up to 300?

P15_1248_a5_rgb.jpg

--

P15_1260_a5_rgb.jpg

--

Dear Kreso, I copy my questions from the other thread, since it's official now.

It's a nice package. How have they achieved quite a higher topspeed with only 20 hp more? Due to Pdk ratios? The torque hasn't changed at all, engine limitations or pdk limitations? Overall it's a stunning car, but nothing really that we haven't expected.                                                                                                                                                                         The car looks superb on the pictures above IMHO. 

thanks for always posting your thoughts and information. Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrT6i5p4r0

Looks great. No big news really compared to what was known, but the subtle changes makes it a nice proposition. The design changes are minor but the small changes makes it stand out anyway. Seems like the engine/performance tweaks are larger than the stated 20hp increase on paper. Intersting addition in the PCM with hand writing recognition. Can remember I've read that before, but should be the same system as offered in the 991.2 Carreras.

Also like that they got rid of the LED halo-ring on the main headlights and now offer a more pronounced 4 dot DRL Smiley

German price list and catalogue are on Porsche German web site. Configurator is on line as well.

Official 0-200km/h is 10.4s for 991.2 Turbo and 9.9s for 991.2 Turbo S. 

And yes, 991.2 Turbo S is in 0-300km/h faster then R8 V10 Plus or Huracan LP610-4. Independant tests in german car press will prove that in Spring 2016.

Still no PSE... Wonder why it is so difficult on the Turbo while possible in the new smaller turbo engine in 991.2 Carrerayes

KresoF1:

German price list and catalogue are on Porsche German web site. Configurator is on line as well.

Official 0-200km/h is 10.4s for 991.2 Turbo and 9.9s for 991.2 Turbo S. 

And yes, 991.2 Turbo S is in 0-300km/h faster then R8 V10 Plus or Huracan LP610-4. Independant tests in german car press will prove that in Spring 2016.

How did they achieve such improvement with 20 hp only?

Lukas:

Still no PSE... Wonder why it is so difficult on the Turbo while possible in the new smaller turbo engine in 991.2 Carrerayes

Because of VTGs. They "hate" PSE. Nevertheless, 991.2 Turbo models sound better then 991.1 Turbo. You can hear some difference.

Also, new models are not limited so, higher top speed.

artur777:
    RS 991:

It's a nice package. How have they achieved quite a higher topspeed with only 20 hp more? Due to Pdk ratios? The torque hasn't changed at all, engine limitations or pdk limitations? Overall it's a stunning car, but nothing really that we haven't expected.

O have the same question.

How did they achieve overall improvement in accel and top speed doing very small changes in hp & torque?

They say they changed the compressor on the S (more likely it is changed on the regular Turbo also) so the 20hp is more than just a software tweak and the hp will be sustainable at high speeds due to cooler intake charge through this bigger compressor, this means higher top speed is possible.

I think they restricted the top speed of the .1 turbo and S because at high loadings it ran quite rich to keep temperatures in check and they limited top speed to keep the engine safe. Whenever we saw turbo S's at vmax events they all had very black exhausts after running up to ~305kph....

I reckon the new turbo S will be hitting 300kph in 26s, can't wait for the tests Smiley  

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.1 bar

love the new center lock wheels

Thanks for your insights. Smiley

I hate to brag but you probably should thank me (and the technical wizardry of the involved engineers) for the dynamic boost feature. indecision angry

Now the new Turbo S runs like a rocket, literally. 

Btw.: 0-200 kph (official time) is 9.9 seconds.

The power boost may be 20 hp only but the car produces more than 20 hp more in certain rev and speed ranges.

0-300 kph time is rumored to be under 26(!) seconds. Quite good.

intts.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Yes, that's the main performance feature( apart from the hardware changes to the engine), sounds great kiss. So have you convinced Porsche to work harder to eliminate turbo-lag? broken heartindecision

RC:

intts.jpg

1st thing I see is the waste of real estate on the new PCM screen. Such a thick bezel and tiny actual display Smiley

--

Sub 10sek for 0-200 is mighty impressive. If the official figure states 9.9 it will probably be achieved faster in the real world.

The center console looks very empty now when the sport/sport plus buttons has been moved to the steering wheel. Quite cheap to keep the center console panel intact. About time to replace that with some leather/carbon pieces instead of dummy plastic pieces representing buttons that will never exist either if you check all options available.

Whoopsy:
    RC:

1st thing I see is the waste of real estate on the new PCM screen. Such a thick bezel and tiny actual display Smiley

I think there is something wrong with that image because it actually looks like this... 

carplay.jpg
    --

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Lukas:

Sub 10sek for 0-200 is mighty impressive. If the official figure states 9.9 it will probably be achieved faster in the real world.

The center console looks very empty now when the sport/sport plus buttons has been moved to the steering wheel. Quite cheap to keep the center console panel intact. About time to replace that with some leather/carbon pieces instead of dummy plastic pieces representing buttons that will never exist either if you check all options available.

The next generation gets a complete interior overhaul, very high end and nice I've been told, catching up with the direct competitors. Smiley Next generation: New exterior design language (vs. Carrera models, there will be a clearer differentiation), new interior (similar to Carrera models but with Turbo/S specific design elements) and completely new engine tech incl. some hybrid stuff.  

--

RC:
    Whoopsy:
    RC:

I think there is something wrong with that image because it actually looks like this... 

carplay.jpg
    --

Even this one still has a lot of wasted space i.e. bezel.

--

Some more nice images of exclusive Turbo/Turbo S

zoom.jpg zoom-9.jpg zoom-10.jpg zoom-7.jpg zoom-4.jpg zoom-8.jpg zoom-3.jpg zoom-2.jpg zoom-6.jpg

Graphite Blue Metallic   angel

in my neck of the wood a reasonably equipped turbo S costs about 10% less than a reasonably equipped 488GTB. i just can't see the context.

all in all i am so happy i got the GT3RS allocation.....last week i have also signed the pre contract for the 488Speciale (or maybe GTO?:::))) to replace the RS in a few years time.

cheers peter

0-300 under 26 seconds? No way. It's going to be 28+ given that the current one needs 29 - 30 sec to get to 300.

Herbaliser:

0-300 under 26 seconds? No way. It's going to be 28+ given that the current one needs 29 - 30 sec to get to 300.

Nope, slightly under 26. Guaranteed. Smiley

The "official" (non published?) number for the 991.1 Turbo S was, as far as I remember, 29.7 seconds.

They have improved for example thermodynamics, so the developers could raise boost pressure at certain rev and speed ranges. As far as I remember, I had a 0.8 or 0.9 bar boost pressure at speeds over 270 kph. Now imagine the same with 1.1 or 1.2 bar. Just an example, I'm not saying this is how they did it.

--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSdSbZMmu0U

For improved high speed acceleration you need horsepower, not improved mid-range torque.  The car is rated at 580hp. It might maintain higher boost in the middle rpm range but obviously not much more at top rpm. Otherwise it wouldn't be only 20hp more. Given the insignificant improvement in the 0-200 acceleration, the 0-300 will be even less significant. So I bet that it's going to be 28+ :)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662268 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401203 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254595 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229206 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59572 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853523 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761901 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM