Crown

Board: Porsche - Macan Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Porsche Macan GTS: A Little More Power, A Little More Style

996FourEss:

Anyone have some news on when we can expect a Macan Turbo S? Seems to me that would be a cracker package with 450 bhp.

Turbo S will come but I wouldn't be sure about those 450 hp. So far I heard something about 430 hp.Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

i think it rocks

can't wait to get mine

30hp is not worth is the price is more than $10k over unless there are many option made standard... Plus personally I don't want wheels bigger than 20" and they need to have all season tires...

SciFrog:

30hp is not worth is the price is more than $10k over unless there are many option made standard... Plus personally I don't want wheels bigger than 20" and they need to have all season tires...

All season tires take away a lot of fun from the car... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Macan GTS review (in german) with some nice soundclips from the PSE. Sounds impressive. Listen @2:05 in the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4SB9dqQweQ

I just want them to intro PDCC.

saw a u tube on a Cayenne turbo vs Macan turbo and the Cayenne had pdcc - what a difference. I loved it on my turbo cayenne

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Would be interesting to get more details on the Macan GTS chassie-setup and what effects the -15mm has on body roll and how this compares to the Turbo/S chassie.

For sure pdcc would have been nice but not something that will see in the Macan until the facelift or even the next gen.

For this generation of Macan there won't be a PDCC.

Lukas:

Macan GTS review (in german) with some nice soundclips from the PSE. Sounds impressive. Listen @2:05 in the video

PSE doesn't sound different than PSE on Macan Turbo. Only exception will be in the interior where it sounds much better.

--

RC:
    Lukas:

PSE doesn't sound different than PSE on Macan Turbo. Only exception will be in the interior where it sounds much better.

Are you really sure about this?

Pretty sure. 

--

RC:

Pretty sure. 

Still not convinced Smiley. Since the 3.0 S with PSE sounds a tad bit better than 3.6 Turbo with PSE in the first place there can be an even slightly better sound in the GTS. But I agree that the differences are small. We have to wait and see until there is a real world comparison made with vehicles broken in.

I heard both, 3.0 and 3.6 with PSE, back to back pretty often and the 3.0 only sounds a bit more strained in the upper rev range (3.6 sounds smoother) but otherwise... For a turbo, both sound quite OK but you will never achieve neither a nice V8 growl nor the hoarse and sawing cry of the flat six n/a engine. The 991.2 with PSE has some "nuances" of the typical flat six sound but even this car sounds disappointing in my opinion. The sound of the Macan GTS has only really improved in the interior but you'll see yourself once the car is available.

I am sorry but I have no love for the Macan with V6 turbo. A SUV needs a nice sounding big ass V8 or bigger, otherwise it is just some sort of sorry a.. crossover. A Macan with a small V8? A dream come true. My wife's Turbo had a price tag of ober 107k EUR, kind of crazy for a V6 SUV. I wanted the new Cayenne Turbo my dealer had in stock as well but my wife insisted on the Macan and she loves it (not so much the fuel consumption) but to each his own. I also love the Jeep SRT, so I guess I'm an oldschool SUV lover. 😉

--

The Macan IS a crossover... To be honest went from a 550hp CTTS to a 400hp Macan and don't regret it one bit. The CTTS was somewhat better sounding but the difference is not enough to really matter, they both sound artificial like most turbo engines. As a daily driver there is no notable difference in speed, acceleration and handling. You can save 35% in the process though...

Thanks for your insights and I think we can agree on that for the Macan the PSE-differences between S, Turbo and GTS are just nuances.

I tend to disagree regarding the V8 though. I think it is to much of a "muscle car" sound and I have never liked muscle cars - sorry angry. In my book the turbo engine wining with additional pse in 991.2, macan pse, cayene gts, etc is pretty good to my ears and the high-pitched sound gives it a sporty character. But then i'm also in the camp that prefer more torque and think that the evolution towards turbo engines instead of NA is not a disaster. At the end of a day, nothing beats a screaming V10 smiley

KresoF1:

For this generation of Macan there won't be a PDCC.

depressing

--

2013 Lotus Evora S/ 2008 Cayenne GTS Manual

2012 991 C2S -PDK / 2010 997.2 turbo cab manual, sold //2008 RS 60 sold /04 C4S sold - 08 Cayenne Turbo PDCC sold

Any pics of what the new LED lights will look like?

Enmanuel:

Like this:

porsche_macan_gts_2015_33929.jpg

porsche-Macan-image.jpeg

Lukas:
    Enmanuel:

Like this:

porsche_macan_gts_2015_33929.jpg

porsche-Macan-image.jpeg

Uuuh, very nice ! I like. Thanks Lukas Smiley

Yes, the new LED lights look very nice (I posted them in the new Macan options thread ).

Actually, I regret not waiting for them because my wife's car would look much nicer with LED lights (not that the black Bi-Xenon looks that...). I wish Porsche would offer some differentiation to the Cayenne LED lights but... yes Good for Macan customers, not so good for Cayenne customers.

--

And now they have CarPlay... Maybe time to sell the Macan to get a new one? smiley

SciFrog:

And now they have CarPlay... Maybe time to sell the Macan to get a new one? smiley

This is actually something I really would want to see as a retrofit for the "old" PCM 3.1. Smiley

There was a rumor that some of the new PCM "live" features will be available for the old 3.1 PCM as some sort of retrofit, of course not for free but so far, I haven't heard anything new about it. Smiley

--

Not much hope sadly from past models...

KresoF1:

Actually,  my P source claims that 3.0 has better potential then 3.6 engine. 

3.6 ends at around 500ps/620Nm and 3.0 at 490ps/580Nm. 

This is some quite interesting observation with regards to engine potential. I have seen that some companies have started to offer piggy-back ECU-tuning. Racechip is one of them. Would be interesting to get your (or someone elses) input on this.

They claim 481hp/680nm for the 3.6 Turbo engine and 409hp/540nm for the 3.0 (S, not GTS). See this link:
    http://www.racechip.com/chiptuning/porsche/macan/macan/macan-turbo-294kw/index.php

Also watched this review of the racechip Macan turbo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YxPoJKVeaY

Wonder how the PDK-clutch can manage the additional torqueSmiley. To my knowledge the PDK in Macan is sourced from Audi and not the same PDK that we find in other Porsche models?

First, any tuning (incl. piggyback devices) can be traced by Porsche. Without exceptions!

Second, up to 450 hp are pretty safe (according to various Porsche sources) with the current 3.6 l engine if you are using high quality fuel (98 octane or more are mandatory...95 octane US or more) but everything over 450 hp requires some serious mods to prevent heat issues and reliability issues.

So if someone wants to tune their Macan Turbo, stick to 50 hp more and you're on the safe side. Never forget that the warranty is gone though (good luck fighting Porsche in court if you think you have a chance). Unless of course the tuner offers an extra warranty to the tuning, some high quality tuners do that (they promise to pay for damage Porsche refuses to pay for, if Porsche argues that it happened due to the tuning).

Avoid cheap over the counter or online ECU tuning mods, this is not a Mustang. 

Also, do not forget that the extra 50 hp may help you reach 200 kph (125 mph) 1-1.5 seconds faster but in the speed range below 200 kph (125 mph), the tuning is of little effect. Not even worth bothering in my opinion.

--

Thanks a lot for your insights RC. Very valuable info as always.

Then I would assume that the Racechip +81hp is not a good solution for ppl who want to tune their Macan Turbo.  Have you looked into some alternatives for tuning your wifes Turbo?

Do you have more details concerning that Porsche can "trace" that you have had a piggy-back box installed even if it is removed prior to service and such? I think I've read a lot of different opinions for piggyback in general for ECU-tuning Audi diesels etc. and that in that case Audi could not trace the ECU-box while on service?

Lukas:

Thanks a lot for your insights RC. Very valuable info as always.

Then I would assume that the Racechip +81hp is not a good solution for ppl who want to tune their Macan Turbo.  Have you looked into some alternatives for tuning your wifes Turbo?

81 hp, if true, are a bit too much in my opinion.

No, my wife's Turbo is going to stay stock. Reason One: Warranty and the fact that the car is a lease. Reason Two: Fuel consumption, which would very likely rise. My wife is already angry that the Macan Turbo consumes much more than her previous X3 35d.  

Do you have more details concerning that Porsche can "trace" that you have had a piggy-back box installed even if it is removed prior to service and such? I think I've read a lot of different opinions for piggyback in general for ECU-tuning Audi diesels etc. and that in that case Audi could not trace the ECU-box while on service?

The Audi dealer cannot trace the tuning, Audi can. If your engine breaks down or any major part, Porsche is going to request a complete printout from the ECU, something the dealer usually doesn't do because it takes time. In this printout, there are some parameters which cannot be overwritten, like maximum boost pressure values, ignition values, etc.. Once written, they cannot be erased. Just one possibility, car manufacturers usually have other possibilities as well. Did you know that some values at some car manufacturers are actually saved into the software of the speedo cluster or even the key? I would be very very careful with tuning, especially when the car is leased. Besides from a possible warranty loss, the lease company could request compensation as well because the car is their property. Too many problems I wouldn't want to deal with as a driver.

--

RC:

No, my wife's Turbo is going to stay stock. Reason One: Warranty and the fact that the car is a lease. Reason Two: Fuel consumption, which would very likely rise. My wife is already angry that the Macan Turbo consumes much more than her previous X3 35d.  

Quite wise decision. Funny though that ECU-tuners claim that there will be 1l/100km of fuelsaving when running with the tuning box. However, with tuning it is probably more likely that you floor it more often and hence the fuel consumption will be heading in the opposite direction. Wonder however what impact there is on fuel consumption if running e.g. constant speed of 100km/h with and without the tuning and if there are fuel savings to expect when having the ECU-tune enabled.

I will also keep my car stock and seems a bit risky to ECU-tune a brand new car and jeopardise the warranty.

All the ECU tuning seems like a huge headache for little gain in everyday life. How often do you floor a Macan?

SciFrog:

All the ECU tuning seems like a huge headache for little gain in everyday life. How often do you floor a Macan?

Agree! And even if you floor it there is plenty of poke already for the type of car it is. Just interesting to elaborate around the topic since it seems to be popular with these types of upgrades. Probably since it's a cheap way of gaining a few extra hp. But could be a quite bad deal in the end...

Since porsche do some hardware changes for powerkit and similar bumps that will give around 30hp extra it would be to good to be true if a box for 1000€ would offer the same reliability and at the same time give 80 extra ponies.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    754867 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431427 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258839 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255821 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79827 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5262 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868831 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    802757 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM