Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 911 R Thread Closed

m4ever:

Here is a presentation which describes how the World Record  was achieved with the 911 R  in Monza in 1967. I assembled it from various books that I own. Hope you find interesting .

911R 1967 WR - Copy.pdf

Very nice - thanks! Smiley

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

RC:

Rossi is careful with photos, he has been burned once.surprise I understand.

I wouldn't call it burned. I was clever enough to find press pictures of the 991.1 in the world wide web before the end of the press embargo. I posted them here, because if somebody has done it before, I couldn't care less.

Porsche made the mistake accusing me of breaking the press embargo and posting pictures, that should not be posted. If they had done their research properly, they would have recognised their error. But instead of politely asking (at least I'm a customer, not a school boy on a holiday job in a newspaper editorial office with access to press pictures, as it turned out), they've send their legal departement, which had to back-pedal and apologise, after they've learnt the true facts.

This is what I mean with missing friendliness, sometimes you should get off your high horse, abandon all arrogance and start thinking in the first place.

Well, if I recall the encounter this afternoon, perhaps I really should post my pics here. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

What is the issue with posting your pictures from today? Are you breaking the law?

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Rossi:
    RC:

Latest rumor from today:

1. 600 cars (100 cars for Germany only)

2. 475 hp GT3 based engine and chassis/brake system

3. base price around 240k EUR (incl. 19% VAT in Germany)

4. lightweight materials for hood, engine lid and other parts

5. PDK(!)

6. rear seats and comfort options (A/C, PCM, sound system, etc.) optional

Please take this with a grain of salt because this is basically the same information I got a few months ago, so maybe it isn't really new.

Car is rumored to be basically sold out. Also, apparently, this car is not part of the 918 VIP program.

I know I should get one but I don't have the money right now. Bummer. Smiley

Okay, I've seen the car. There was no camouflage on it. The only thing that was covered was the centre console, so you could not tell, if there is a manual or PDK underneath. However, the steering wheel didn't feature flappy pedals, so that leaves only two possibilities:

1. the car will have PDK, but the to fool those who see it before presentation they've installed a steering wheel without pedals

2. the car will be manual

Since the car looked finished, I believe the latter, so that there will be at least the option to order it as manual.

What else could I see: new air vent at the bottom of the engine lid (we talked about this here before), filled with a mesh, air vent below the front hood, similar to that of a GT3, also filled with a mesh, rear bumper exactly the same as that of a GT3, retractable rear spoiler like that of the standard Carrera (with the "old" horizontal grill, not the new one of the 991.2), front bumper of the GT3 with the old indicators and DRL, rear lights like the 991.1, CF-sport seats in leather/fabric with old-style Pepita-patterned cloth in black and white in the centre.

The car featured PCCB and GT3-style rims, wheel caps were covered as well as the designation in the head rests, which should read 911 R, new-style steering wheel  in alcantara but without the Porsche "manettino", sport design rear mirrors, dials with white indexes, rev counter with "911" in white and "R" in red, alcantara interior with aluminium accents, GT3 RS front hood with regressed middle part. Car did not have rear seats.

Now, I have ten pictures of the car, but I won't post them here.

One word to the driver as a well-meant advice: politeness helps a lot, in both cases, if you want to achieve or prevent something. Not that he has been rude, far from that, but you can never tell, who is the one standing in front of you. And if I park a brand new Porsche with "LB-Y 3028" plates in front of a shop and leave it unattended for more than 15 minutes (I was on my way to and back to someone and the car had not been moved) and leave the driver window completely opened all the time, you should be aware in times of smart phones etc. that someone interested will take pictures of it.

So it has been me, who took the pictures and telling someone "that you don't want pictures of the car to be taken and don't want to see them appear in social media" won't help in most cases, yet I won't post them here. Just a little bit more friendliness would be nice.

If he wants to contact me, I guess Porsche has my number and address. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

From this description the car looks exactly as we've seen on the first spy shots posted here earlier on page 9. Or I'm missed something?

--

bluelines:

What is the issue with posting your pictures from today? Are you breaking the law?

Just a question of continuing his friendly relationship with Porsche's legal department?  Smiley

--

fritz

Rossi:

If he wants to contact me, I guess Porsche has my number and address. Smiley

hahahahahahahSmiley

can we make a test,to see if they have your number again...Smiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

fritz:
    bluelines:

Just a question of continuing his friendly relationship with Porsche's legal department?  Smiley

Are they throwing a nice Xmas party or what? Smiley

--

bluelines:

Of course not. Car was unattended in public for quite some time, it's purely lucky coincidence if such pics don't appear.

For me it's just a matter of politeness. So far I will be so polite not posting pics as the driver has asked me to.

--

SportCarGroup:

From this description the car looks exactly as we've seen on the first spy shots posted here earlier on page 9. Or I'm missed something?

Exactly. With three exceptions:

1. The air vents at the car I've seen had mesh inside, whereas the car from page 9 doesn't seem to have that
    2. The car I've seen neither had the Porsche script at the back nor the crest on the front hood

3. I have pics from inside SmileySmileySmiley

--

Did you count the pedals (not paddles)? smiley

DuckieRS:

Did you count the pedals (not paddles)? smiley

Ha! I wrote pedals instead of paddles up above, I knew I wrote something wrong but couldn't find the mistake. Smiley

But sorry, no, I could not take a pic of the pedals nor even see them, since that would have meant to bow into the car (remember: open driver window all the time Smiley) and I didn't want to do that.

--

Rossi: I think you behaves as a true gentleman. Kudos for being that.

If the car is sold out already, why are they so worried about leaked photos and from a prototype with covers 

It took them a while to sell all 918's, I don't get this **** attitude from P and not allow anyone to snap and post pics. It's a 911 with new gimmicks, another 50k+ overpriced and the usual bs lap time at nurburgring e.g. cayenne  Smiley

I, for one, no longer bother to contact Porsche or make any inquiries about their latest products, I just stick to car forums and have lost all faith in them and their rude/arrogant staff.

They are not sold out until people signed contracts. No contracts can be signed until the information about the car is released from PAG. Most likely the information will reach the dealers just before Geneva 2016.

But to answer your question: It can be so simple as the driver wasn't allowed to leave the car the way he did and he is afraid of getting into trouble,

BiTurbo:

It's a 911 with new gimmicks, another 50k+ overpriced and the usual bs lap time at nurburgring e.g. cayenne  Smiley

This car sounds pretty close to something I would like, but the price is not 50k over-priced - it's over 100k over-priced if 240k Euros is correct.  No reason this car should cost more than GT3, unless it has some surprises beyond checked textile seats (which I like).

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    BiTurbo:

It's a 911 with new gimmicks, another 50k+ overpriced and the usual bs lap time at nurburgring e.g. cayenne  Smiley

This car sounds pretty close to something I would like, but the price is not 50k over-priced - it's over 100k over-priced if 240k Euros is correct.  No reason this car should cost more than GT3, unless it has some surprises beyond checked textile seats (which I like).

+1

Unless it has short gears (no overdrive), more power than a regular GT3, wears 50-100kg less than a GT3 (through historic means like drilled everything, every body panel lighter etc...) I can see no justification for that type of price. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

The justification for the price is.... just this: Limited Edition.  (and..... enhanced profits from the 911 lineup).  If PAG are convinced that there is, or can be developed, a niche market for manuals (assuming the rumours are true about a manual for the R), there is no limit to the number of special editions that can be produced, as long as the buyers for these special editions continue to compete for their place in line to order them, at whatever the list price happens to be.     

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Kobalt:

They are not sold out until people signed contracts. No contracts can be signed until the information about the car is released from PAG. Most likely the information will reach the dealers just before Geneva 2016.

But to answer your question: It can be so simple as the driver wasn't allowed to leave the car the way he did and he is afraid of getting into trouble,

They are sold out in the sense that production is limited, most Porsche dealers get only one car and most dealers already have more than one customer signed up for this car. 

If you have good contacts to your dealer and/or Porsche, I am sure you can make it happen (to get one) but otherwise, good luck. It won't be easy, even the 918 VIP program won't be honored in this case, which actually tells how limited production is.

I wish I had the money, this is really a dream car for me but I made a few bad car choices in the past and I have no money left for another expensive toy right now. Smiley My dealer claims that I could sell it after a 6 months holding period but the risk it too high for me, sorry. Also, I would want to keep it. Smiley Smiley

Aside from the limited edition thing, this car is very special. A regular 911 with GT3 tech, a dream come true for many. If Porsche decides to keep this a one time thing, the car will have a huge collector's value. if not, well...depends. Look at the Sport Classic, nothing really special about it, a Carrera S with powerkit engine but the prices for these cars have gone up lately (after actually being at levels below MSRP).

What is surprising: 50 years anniversary models seem to be in high demand and prices achieved are quite impressive. My dealer just sold a used one for close to 180k EUR and this car didn't even have the powerkit option (which is standard for the North America market). Why? Apparently there are customers who just became 50 years old and they buy this car as some sort of anniversary gift and reminder. I don't get it but... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    What is surprising: 50 years anniversary models seem to be in high demand and prices achieved are quite impressive. My dealer just sold a used one for close to 180k EUR and this car didn't even have the powerkit option (which is standard for the North America market). Why? Apparently there are customers who just became 50 years old and they buy this car as some sort of anniversary gift and reminder. I don't get it but... Smiley

180! (I don't get it either)   Who wants to be reminded that they are +50  Smiley

Isn't seeing this sign all the time bad enough ?

Geschwindigkeitsschild-50.png

We traveled to the US this summer because this was my wife's 50th birthday present for me. She wanted to have a full blown birthday party with friends, food, music, fireworks(!), the whole deal (she did this for her 40th birthday) but I didn't want to. I agree, I do not want to celebrate my 50th or my 60th (another friend made a huge deal out of it) in any special way, why would I want to celebrate that I'm getting older? mail yes

My wife thinks otherwise, so I am prepared (with horror) on what she has planned for her 50th birthday in 2018. angry Thanks god, I'm off the hook now until 2025 (my 60th).  indecision

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Why would you want to celebrate getting older, RC? Because it means that you are still alive! The alternative to getting older?

otisdog:

Why would you want to celebrate getting older, RC? Because it means that you are still alive! The alternative to getting older?

Agree - RC and I are the same age and I'm enjoying celebrating my bday more than ever before these days Smiley

--

otisdog:

Why wouldn't I be alive? Smiley

Sorry, I do not want to celebrate getting older, I do not see the point in it. Smiley

--

RC:

Sorry, I do not want to celebrate getting older, I do not see the point in it. Smiley

Me neither...

But maybe we can start celebrating still being alive?   

Kobalt:
    RC:

Me neither...

But maybe we can start celebrating still being alive?   

I do that every day...by spending time with my kids, listening to their problems and doing homework with them, enjoying their presence (as long as they are still living at home), vacationing with my loved ones (the most wonderful time of the year) and spending money on gadgets and cars, so I can enjoy them. This is how I celebrate still being alive. Smiley Smiley

--

To bring this back on topic, I hope to celebrate 51st bday with a 911R, if they make the price reasonable and build enough of them that owning a 918 is not a prerequisite wink

--

Grant:

To bring this back on topic, I hope to celebrate 51st bday with a 911R, if they make the price reasonable and build enough of them that owning a 918 is not a prerequisite wink

Sounds like a great plan! Scuderia Hanseat 2016 in an R then? Smiley

--

Grant:

If you haven't secured one by now... Smiley The price tag and the production limit are both the only things which are quite accurate I'm afraid. Smiley Even I would have difficulties to get one now and every bit inside me tells me to get one but... Smiley I will certainly regret it.

--

RC:

If you haven't secured one by now... Smiley The price tag and the production limit are both the only things which are quite accurate I'm afraid. Smiley 

I have had a deposit down for a couple months, but #2 in line (big dealer).  I think it's a long-shot at best (and if the price is true, beyond what I think is fair or what I can afford)...

--

Kobolt is funny! I like you humour.

I was going to put my name down for one of these purely as an "investment". yes to flip and make money! The reason being if its only 600-900 units i will not take it to tarmac rally or to track. Therefore it has no use to me. However I decided that is Manual Transmission is the ONLY real defining part of this car other than limited number then the risk is high because 1 year later PAG will launch 991.2 GT3 at Geneva surely with MT & PDK option (RS will be PDK only). The news of the MY GT3 will be leaked before this via the usual sources. At this point if you are newly speculating on 911R and 7.2 GT3/RS etc I think there is risk of getting fingers burned.

The GT3 is primarily a track car for me, why would I want a car that is more expensive, slower and has some "retro" seat inserts? Will it be significantly lighter than GT3 - I highly doubt more than 80kg even ditching RWS & PDK and using CF hood and plastic glass. Without PDK & RWS and aero it cannot be as quick as GT3 on track with same engine. Even with 4.0L engine.

Yes teh possibility is there for me to make money but in specualtion Id rather be Long USD.... 

Just my 2c worth :-)

--

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2014 991 GT3, 1994 993C2 6spd RS spec, 2016 Cayman GT4 (on order)

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM