Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

I'd like to try a GT3, but I don't think there are any really near me :/

2 days, 14 918s, 2 sets of tires and 4 tanks of gas each car. We thrash them hard, over 700kms driven, not s single problem among them, only one car needed 1/2 quart of oil. Bullet proof. Porsche brought along 1 spare 918 just in case but that one sat in the garage the whole time. One of the prototypes has over 75000km on the clock.

But there was quite a few broken windshields, the 918 throws out an incredible amount of dirt, pebbles rubbers, etc. On the first day we didn't quite drive the cars hard enough, so they gummed up pretty badly and those waste rubber get worn down and throw backwards violently. But the Cup2s are quite an amazing tire, even in the rain and perhaps 13 degree ambient, after a session, the tires are cold to the touch but they feel VERY sticky, strange feeling indeed. 

IMG_5042.JPG

--

one last tidbits, we were told the 918 charges it's battery the fastest between 4500-5000rpm. We did one session on e-mode only to run down the battery to pretty much dry, and keeping the engine at the charging sweet spot in Race mode plus the regen braking, we were about to charge it back to full within about 5 mins or so. 

Also found out the car does't engage the rear e-motor a lot, it's mostly driven with the 608HP gas motor, then the front e-motor adds propulsion, then finally the rear e-motor kicks in and full power is used, when it is driven REALLY hard, i.e. pedal to the metal, if the pedal is not fully depressed, the rear e-motor doesn't engage most of the time. Almost like that part of the drivetrain is the reserve power. It is actually really hard to keep the throttle pin to the floor, there is so much torque that most of the time the throttle is feathered to meter out the power. 

--

Mr. Berry, you need to drive the GT3 more.  San Diego has relatively smooth roads, might even try driving it on the weekdays!

Great coverage of the event Nick.  Thanks for sharing.

vantagesc:

Mr. Berry, you need to drive the GT3 more.  San Diego has relatively smooth roads, might even try driving it on the weekdays!

I volunteer to put some extra miles on it. Smiley

Most enjoyable reading this! Thank you kindly for posting.

Very enjoyable read indeed - also encouraging for us RS owners and prospects ! kiss

Whoopsy:

but after experiencing the 918 on the back straight, it was quite disappointing to wait for the RS to get up to speed.

That's my only slight disappointment . The RS is not fast/powerfull enough on longer straights . 

In Dijon, I was not faster on the straight then Porcker in his 997.1 GT3 RS .  Actually I was faster, but only  by 1 km/h ! 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

but after experiencing the 918 on the back straight, it was quite disappointing to wait for the RS to get up to speed.

That's my only slight disappointment . The RS is not fast/powerfull enough on longer straights . 

In Dijon, I was not faster on the straight then Porcker in his 997.1 GT3 RS .  Actually I was faster, but only  by 1 km/h ! 

1Kph difference Smiley There must something wrong with your car or Porcker unit must be making much more power than factory claimed 425Hp!!!  there´s a 75hp difference and I believe your car weights less than 997.1 RS , so diffence should be much bigger !

--

J.Seven

J.Seven:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

1Kph difference Smiley There must something wrong with your car or Porcker unit must be making much more power than factory claimed 425Hp!!!  there´s a 75hp difference and I believe your car weights less than 997.1 RS , so diffence should be much bigger !

The 991 is 100kg heavier

Futch:
    J.Seven:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

The 991 is 100kg heavier

991 series are lighter than 997 so I thought the 991 RS version would also be few kg lighter! Sorry for the mistake. Still the 991 used PDK and brand new tech, should be a lot faster than previous generation in straight line.

--

J.Seven

Correct me if wrong but in straight line hp and aerodynamics are the biggest factor followed by weight...

Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

And just wait until blueline's GT4 flies by... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Insanely fast! Smiley A supersonic missile of manliness.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

But without a twist... smiley 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us, Nick. Smiley Smiley Great read. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

But without a twist... smiley 

Only girliemen do the twist Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:
    Rossi:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

Insanely fast! Smiley A supersonic missile of manliness.

Well will see about that in the turns :)

--

Anyway, it is VERY nice to have a place to share my experience, this is what Rennteam is about. 

We are always about the content the members posted. I am just glad I have such an audience to share my experience with, one who shares the car passion and appreciates the experience as much has I do!

--

Whoopsy:

Anyway, it is VERY nice to have a place to share my experience, this is what Rennteam is about. 

We are always about the content the members posted. I am just glad I have such an audience to share my experience with, one who shares the car passion and appreciates the experience as much has I do!

Are you kidding me? You are happy? Wow. You just made my day today and you think you are happy. Smiley Smiley

Smiley (Thanks again!!!)

--

Nick, thanks again for sharing your experience, great and unique read! kiss

Super Darius:
    Whoopsy:
    sfo:

ignoring the cost of each, if you had to pick the RS or the 918, which would it be?

RS. No doubt in my mind.

Happy you love this car knowing you own other great supercars.

And this is one of the things that make Rennteam so valuable. Smiley

Supercar Driver 1/4 mile drag race is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9FUAvxsrf0

J.Seven:
    Futch:
    J.Seven:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

The 991 is 100kg heavier

991 series are lighter than 997 so I thought the 991 RS version would also be few kg lighter! Sorry for the mistake. Still the 991 used PDK and brand new tech, should be a lot faster than previous generation in straight line.

--

J.Seven

The downforce on the 991 RS takes away top speed ( GT3 is faster then RS in top speed ) + my car is still pretty new so engine needs more km + Porker's GT3 must be about 150 km lighter as he has air con delete , CGT buckets etc..... + sports exhaust + cats giving some extra power + his car goes very, very well 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    J.Seven:
    Futch:
    J.Seven:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

The 991 is 100kg heavier

--

J.Seven

The downforce on the 991 RS takes away top speed ( GT3 is faster then RS in top speed ) + my car is still pretty new so engine needs more km + Porker's GT3 must be about 150 km lighter as he has air con delete , CGT buckets etc..... + sports exhaust + cats giving some extra power + his car goes very, very well 

It must all come down to the driver because I even drove with my handbrake on down the straight! Smiley

No, I think you must indeed factor in the engine needs to broken in, 1500km was very very young.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Porker:
    Gnil:
    J.Seven:
    Futch:
    J.Seven:
    Gnil:
    Whoopsy:

The 991 is 100kg heavier

--

J.Seven

It must all come down to the driver because I even drove with my handbrake on down the straight! Smiley

No, I think you must indeed factor in the engine needs to broken in, 1500km was very very young.

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Handbrake on and in reverse gear, for scientific purpose let's be specific here. Smiley

Finally home after 3 weeks.

There is one other thing I have learnt about the 918 that I forgot to mentioned. On the track with the power distribution graph showing, I gain a new understanding on how the car work.

While it is well known that the front e-motor disconnect at 265km/hr, the rear e-motor actually doesn't engage all the time. Outside of e-mode where the rear is always driven by the e-motor, in every other mode it only comes on part time.

At partial throttle only the gas engine is driving the rear wheels, it will engage when the pedal is fully depressed in Sports and Race mode. In Hot Lap mode there is an extra resistance point in the throttle travel, the rear motor only engages when the pedal is pressed past that point, i.e. flat to the floor. So in a way, the has multiple HP rating.

At light throttle in e-mode, it is a 154HP car, more throttle input means the front e-motor also engages and it becomes a 279HP car.

In Sports Hybrid mode, the car is primarily a 608HP gas powered one, with the front 125HP chips in on heavy throttle input and becomes a 733HP car. When the throttle is fully depressed, it then becomes a 887HP car. But after 265km/hr, it goes back to being a 762HP car.

In Race mode, the car is driven as a 733HP car, gas engine plus front motor. Full throttle and the car is a 887HP until 265km/hr. 

In Hot Lap mode, the car is also a 733HP car, but the throttle doesn't need to be fully depressed to make it a 887HP one, as there is some more travel between the resistance point and the actually full throttle position. 

Quite a revelation, and a bit different than what I had understand the car is when I read and hear about it from Porsche personal's presentation.

I believed the LaFerrari and P1 works the same way, their e-motor only kicks in at full throttle, and that explains a lot about why and how their cars performed during those head to head competition, especially track time. The P1 has the added disadvantage of keep driving the e-motor in generator mode in order to charge the battery, while the LaFerrari and the 918 can do regen braking.

The cars are so powerful that pretty much only during long straights are the throttle fully depressed, and hence the actual performance of the cars are a lot closer than we expect just from looking at paper spec. The 918 actually had the advantage most of the time with the higher torque figures through out the rev range. 

--

WOW great insights - thanks for sharing 

Thanks Whoopsy for such a detailed explanation!

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2014 Mercedes A45 AMG - 2013 Mini Cooper S

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM