Crown

Board: Porsche - Panamera Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: Panamera Sport Turismo expands the Panamera model line

Porsche is expanding the Panamera family with the addition of a new body version: The Panamera Sport Turismo is celebrating its world première at the Geneva Motor Show (March 7 to 19, 2017), where five different versions will be on display: Panamera 4, Panamera 4S, Panamera 4S Diesel, Panamera 4 E-Hybrid and Panamera Turbo. Based on the successful sports saloon, the new version once again makes a profound statement in the luxury segment with its unmistakeable design. At the same time, the Sport Turismo, with up to 404 kW/550 hp, is more versatile than any other model in its class. With a large tailgate, low loading edge, increased luggage compartment volume and a 4+1 seating concept, the new Panamera model offers the perfect combination of everyday usability and maximum flexibility. “For Porsche, the Panamera Sport Turismo is a step forwards into a new segment, but retains all of those values and attributes that are characteristic of Porsche”, says Michael Mauer, Director of Style Porsche.

From a technological and design perspective, the Sport Turismo utilises all the innovations introduced with the brand new Panamera model line launched only last year. These include the digital Porsche Advanced Cockpit, pioneering assistance systems such as Porsche InnoDrive, including adaptive cruise control, chassis systems such as rear axle steering, the Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control (PDCC Sport) electronic roll stabilisation system and powerful powertrains. In addition, all Panamera Sport Turismo vehicles are equipped with Porsche Traction Management (PTM) – an active all-wheel drive system with electronically controlled multi-plate clutch – as standard. As of the S models, adaptive air suspension with three-chamber technology is also supplied as standard.

The design and concept of an all-round sportscar
    Just like the coupé-style Panamera sports saloon, the Sport Turismo is characterised by its very dynamic proportions – a perfect reflection of the Porsche design DNA. The vehicle is 5,049 millimetres long, 1,428 millimetres high and 1,937 millimetres wide, while the large wheelbase spans 2,950 millimetres. The silhouette is further characterised by short body overhangs and large wheels measuring up to 21 inches.

Beginning from the B-pillars, that is, from the start of the rear doors, the Sport Turismo features a completely unique rear design. Above the pronounced shoulder, an elongated window line and equally long roof contour lend the vehicle its striking appearance. At the rear, the roof drops away much less dramatically than the window line, resulting in a prominent and distinctive D-pillar which transitions into the shoulder section in a coupé-like fashion.

First adaptively extendible roof spoiler in the segment
    At the top of the vehicle, the roof extends into an adaptive spoiler. The angle of the roof spoiler is set in three stages depending on the driving situation and selected vehicle settings, and generates an additional downforce of up to 50 kg on the rear axle.
    Up to a speed of 170 km/h, the aerodynamic guide element – a central system component of the Porsche Active Aerodynamics (PAA) – stays in its retracted position with an angle of minus seven degrees, which reduces drag and thus optimises fuel consumption.

Above 170 km/h, the roof spoiler automatically moves to the performance position with an angle of plus one degree, thereby increasing driving stability and lateral dynamics. When in the Sport and Sport Plus driving modes, the roof spoiler automatically moves to the performance position at speeds of 90 km/h upwards. PAA also provides active assistance by adapting the roof spoiler’s angle of inclination to plus 26 degrees when the panoramic sliding roof is open at a speed of 90 km/h or above. In this case, the spoiler helps to minimise wind noise.

Three seats in redesigned rear
    The new Sport Turismo is the first Panamera to feature three rear seats. The two outside seats take the form of individual seats – in keeping with the model line’s claim for sporty performance with maximum passenger comfort – thereby producing a 2+1 configuration at the rear. As an option, the Panamera Sport Turismo is also available in a four-seat configuration with two electrically adjustable individual seats at the rear.

The raised roof line of the Sport Turismo allows for easier entry and exit at the rear of the vehicle and ensures greater head clearance. The usability of the luggage compartment benefits from the wide opening tailgate, which is electrically operated as standard, and a loading edge height of just 628 millimetres. Measured to the upper edge of the rear seats, the up to 520-litre storage capacity of the Sport Turismo (Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo: 425 litres) betters that of the sports saloon by 20 litres. When loaded up to roof level and with the rear seats folded down, the gains amount to around 50 litres. The backrests of the three rear seats can be folded down together or individually (in a 40:20:40 split) and are unlocked electrically from the luggage compartment. When all of the backrests are folded down, the loading floor is virtually level. In this case, the storage volume is expanded to up to 1,390 litres (Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo: 1,295 litres).

A luggage compartment management system is available on request for the Panamera Sport Turismo. Among other things, this variable system for secure transport includes two rails integrated in the loading floor, four lashing points and a luggage compartment partition net. An optional 230-V electrical socket can also be provided in the luggage compartment.

Five engines at market launch
    The Panamera Sport Turismo is available to order now. The European market launch is scheduled for October 7, 2017, with the other markets following in early November. The new Porsche will be available with five engines that are already used in the sports saloon. Prices in Germany start at 97,557 euro for the Panamera 4 Sport Turismo (243 kW/330 hp), 112,075 euro for the Panamera 4 E-Hybrid Sport Turismo (340 kW/462 hp system power), 120,048 euro for the Panamera 4S Sport Turismo (324 kW/440 hp), 123,975 euro for the Panamera 4S Diesel Sport Turismo (310 kW/422 hp) and 158,604 euro for the Panamera Turbo Sport Turismo (404 kW/550 hp), all including VAT.

P17_0024.jpg
    P17_0027.jpg
    P17_0033.jpg
    P17_0020.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Re: OFFICIAL: Panamera Sport Turismo expands the Panamera model line

For such a big car , the Sport Turismo trunk space is just 20 L more than the standard Panamera and the fifth place is a marketing gimmick.  I don`t understand the point of it in this execution, although I quite like the design. Maybe the design is the selling point of this car.   

I have no idea of what to think about this car.....really no idea

--

993 c2

eyyyy.... the car is so booooring. How can they ruin that amazing prototype design with adding such boring lines to the final product? The VW Passat looks better and the Audi RS6 I will not even mention because it looks a million times better. 

Way too much grey heads and boring people in the responsible chairs at Porsche and VW. 

Lars997:

eyyyy.... the car is so booooring. How can they ruin that amazing prototype design with adding such boring lines to the final product? The VW Passat looks better and the Audi RS6 I will not even mention because it looks a million times better. 

Way too much grey heads and boring people in the responsible chairs at Porsche and VW. 

Smiley Maybe I change my opinion after I see the car live but so far, not impressed... 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Hmmm... Not thrilled. Basically, a long, low Macan.

They do not mention how heavy the car is (compared to the regular Panamera), do they?

This car doesn´t make any sense. If the Panamera was a three volume like 7 series or S class, the Sport Turismo would kind of be the stationwagon variant, but the Panamera is not like a 7 series Smiley and this thing looks ugly Smiley

--

J.Seven

I'd say that the Sport Turismo is 70-100 kg heavier but I don't know for sure.

These two photos actually show how big this thing is (and/or looks)... 

Porsche-Panamera-Sports-Turismo-fotoshowBig-90151c31-1007959.jpg
    Porsche-Panamera-Sports-Turismo-fotoshowBig-e5a10a38-1007936.jpg

--

To use a German word for this car: No stimmiges design. 

--

RC:

On the other hand, you can't point to anything obviously wrong. In fact, you could say it is a "correct" design. Perhaps that's the problem, there are no new/interesting elements...

Dammit, I hate to admit that this design is starting to appeal to me.  Geez, I am crazy...

Wonderbar:

Dammit, I hate to admit that this design is starting to appeal to me.  Geez, I am crazy...

Sydney, you always like Porsche...no matter what. Smiley Smiley

--

KMM:
    RC:

On the other hand, you can't point to anything obviously wrong. In fact, you could say it is a "correct" design. Perhaps that's the problem, there are no new/interesting elements...

The problem is that the car looks as if Porsche slapped a station wagon rear onto a Panamera Executive model. Smiley

The design study looked perfect but it probably didn't "work" for various reasons, incl. production cost. Smiley

--

I have seen the car in flash from behind. It was a very short moment. I thought I loved what I have seen. But now I am not so sure. Hope that in flash it will look much better.

--

AM

ALDO:

I have seen the car in flash from behind. It was a very short moment. I thought I loved what I have seen. But now I am not so sure. Hope that in flash it will look much better.

I too hope that the car looks better in the flesh but the photos aren't really flattering in my opinion. Smiley

--

On the plus side: easier entry to the back row, 5th seat is fine for a child (obviously not adult proof broken heart), bigger trunk opening, Switzerland likes wagons

Negative points: Design definitely not as appealing as the concept, heavy

My I am not yet in a position for a final judgement but I am sure this thing will sell quite well in Switerland at least.

Don't know how it is live but on the pictures it is extremely unattractive, basically they added a unsporty oversized stationwagon look without the spacious rear seats and trunk of a stationwagon yes

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

The proportions look odd again, basically the car looks too long relative to its width (even though that is quite substantial). Somehow this ruins the fix Porsche applied to the design of the Gen 2 base Panamera compared to Gen1.

As mentioned previously, it reminds me a bit of a hearse, particularly in dark colours...

RC:

SmileySmileySmiley

so was von unstimmig! 

it looks like a funeral car to me

Josef:

On the plus side: easier entry to the back row, 5th seat is fine for a child (obviously not adult proof broken heart), bigger trunk opening, Switzerland likes wagons

Negative points: Design definitely not as appealing as the concept, heavy

My I am not yet in a position for a final judgement but I am sure this thing will sell quite well in Switerland at least.

There are way too many beautiful station wagons and SUVs out there. If you need that space for your family you probably would go for a SUV. So - why would you buy this car? Yes - you have a funeral business and want to like only having one car? 

I think they should have made a two door / coupe / shooting break out of it. It might have been cool and something which isn't out there. A bit like that Ferrari FF/Lusso - but with a full rear bench.

Not quite clear how they can position this car vs a Macan...

like a woman with a bum that doesn't suit her figure

SciFrog:

As most expensive sport wagon on the market?

Btw, design is pretty strange IMO.

Surely will look better in real life... I guess this car is a cheaper version of the Ferrari FF without the whoa factor.

The new Panamera Sport Turismo in motion.: http://youtu.be/ZtaF0LFewdM

Porsche Panamera Sport Turismo (2017) Sitzprobe/D…: http://youtu.be/zV7W9UpZC-I

Yet I think it will sell like hot cakes... the normal panamera doesn't really make sense anymore now, does it?
    Apart from the looks (which I think was never a strongsuit of the panamera anyway), why would you chose a regulare panny over the sportturismo now?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

It might outsell the Panamera by canabilizing it but the real issue is the price and nothing has been solved in that department...

As usual.....no comment angry

Unladen weight (DIN): 2,035 kg

Unladen weight (EC): 2,110 kg

SciFrog:

Not a chance, completely different customer base.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    661877 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401113 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254583 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229130 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59474 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853460 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761731 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM