Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2015 Mini Clubman and Countryman

These Minis are getting better and better, they look GREAT Smiley What do you guys think?

--

J.Seven

Re: 2015 Mini Clubman and Countryman

J.Seven:

These Minis are getting better and better, they look GREAT Smiley What do you guys think?

But the problem is also that these are getting bigger and bigger, especially the models you mentioned. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I'm waiting for the Clubman JCW and will buy one for my wife as her city car if it drives well. Love the look of it. The larger size also suits us better. 

Just purchased a Cooper S 4-door. Peppy, little knock around car with enough luggage space for our needs and for back seat passengers once in a blue moon.  Off white exterior, black leather interior. Nice and simple. 

the new MINIs are the most interesting cars BMW makes which are vaguely affordable

I am planning to get a Mini this Friday, haven't decided yet which one. The car is mostly for my mother but I will use it as well from time to time. Now the question is: Which one? I have good offers for a basic Mini One and a well optioned Cooper S JCW, both with Steptronic. Not a fan of Mini but the dealer is close to us.

First one is 1k initial payment and 250 EUR per month (36 months/10k km), this also incl. a full coverage insurance and winter wheels. The second one is 6k initial payment, 300 EUR per month, incl. full coverage insurance but the winter wheels are an extra 1k EUR.

This is how the interior of the Cooper S looks alike (photo not from the car itself but it looks the same, incl. the chrono package). I'd love to take the Cooper S JCW but I'm not sure it makes sense since I am going to drive it only once or twice a month.

mini.JPG

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

there's something quite pure and attractive about the MINI One ..

a great contrast with your other cars .. you can rev it hard at sensible speeds

and so much cheaper

I drove the JCW last gen .. hated the steering, and the torque steer.

Is the One with the 3 cylinder? I would love to have one in manual. Steptronic I'm not so sure. Anyway for so little money, just get it. The lease repayment is like taking the family out for a meal. Over here we don't see lease repayments like that lol. It's not like it's your car anyway. 

sfo:

I drove the JCW last gen .. hated the steering, and the torque steer.

My wife has one and I also dislike driving it because of that .

RC : Ask your mother which one she sees herself in the best 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

Less is more, RC - go with the One.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

RC:

I am planning to get a Mini this Friday, haven't decided yet which one. The car is mostly for my mother but I will use it as well from time to time. Now the question is: Which one? I have good offers for a basic Mini One and a well optioned Cooper S JCW, both with Steptronic. Not a fan of Mini but the dealer is close to us.

First one is 1k initial payment and 250 EUR per month (36 months/10k km), this also incl. a full coverage insurance and winter wheels. The second one is 6k initial payment, 300 EUR per month, incl. full coverage insurance but the winter wheels are an extra 1k EUR.

This is how the interior of the Cooper S looks alike (photo not from the car itself but it looks the same, incl. the chrono package). I'd love to take the Cooper S JCW but I'm not sure it makes sense since I am going to drive it only once or twice a month.

mini.JPG

RC,

out of curiosity... is that a special deal since you are a regular customer or widely available?

Stylistically I personally don´t see any appeal in the 3rd-gen Mini. The proportions are very odd since they share the engine/drivetrain/platform with the upcoming 1-series BMW. 

It is a good (I think) deal but not really special (I think). Yes, I am a longtime customer and bought a couple of Mini (and BMW) from them but overall, the Mini offers are usually quite OK. Depends on the car and how much the dealer wants to get rid of.

The new Mini Cooper S JCW (231 hp version) is actually quite nice and the Steptronic works surprisingly good with this engine. However, I kind of have the feeling that the super direct steering of the GP model (last generation) is gone a bit. The car is still pretty comfortable (again, a surprise) and the sport exhaust could be louder (this is actually a disappointment).

I can choose between both cars but the Mini One with 102 hp, although a turbo and not feeling weak at all with Steptronic, is kind of too basic. The car is basically naked, not even LED lights, only A/C, Steptronic and heated seats. 

This is the JCW I am going to get tomorrow (I think, not 100% sure yet) but to be honest, I'm not a big Mini fan but if I get one, at least I want one I may (or may not) enjoy driving. angry My mother is fine with any kind of car I get her, as long as it is small and has automatic. She drove a Mini Cooper S and Countryman Cooper S before, both with the sport chassis setup, so no problem with the power or the sporty chassis. Also, my daughter is going to drive this car in two years as well, so it makes sense (my daughter is a very cautious person, so I can trust her with the 231 hp, my son is a different story, he gets something much heavier and with much less power, something to drive more relaxed).

Most importantly though, I have to drive this car as well from time to time and I really cannot see myself in a 102 hp Mini crutch. Smiley Had one (115 hp or so?) Mini before and it was torture. 

This car does not have the Chrono Package, which I really wanted but it has a head-up display, something my mother enjoyed in the X3.

Unbenannt-1.jpg.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

friend of mine has a paceman which is quite nice

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Let us know how you go. Keen to hear your view on the JCW after some miles. I love my GP2. 

We have a 2006 Mini Cooper manual transmission. One of  the worst car I've driven for many years.

Since new I have experienced harsh ride in spite of small wheels, too heavy uncomfortable steering, stiff gear change, incurable lay-gear noise and noisy plastic trim.

On the plus side consumption is good and servicing inexpensive.

I know that in 9 years many things could have changed but I test drove a Countryman diesel and it was nothing special.

IMO all premium brands offer better cars in the Mini class. The Mini is ok as an accessory for girls, instead of a Golf for example.

The JCW is frenetic with direct steering. It is fun for a few minutes and a nuisance as a daily car.

--

"Form follows function"

The new JCW steering isn't as direct as I have hoped for (not similar to the direct GP steering) but for my mother, this is actually a good thing.  The chassis is also more comfortable than expected but the car feels nimble and quality seems to be better than on any Mini I have ever owned/driven.

Actually, the new characteristics of the Mini (bigger, more luxurious, more refined, more comfortable, etc.) could actually be the achilles heel of the car but so far, it seems that customers love the new Mini. 

My dealer orders almost all JCW and Cooper S with Steptronic, simply because the cars are faster, consume less fuel (really!) and this is usually a second or third car for the whole family, so people don't prefer manual. Interesting, I didn't know that.

I wasn't really sure if I should get the JCW, there is also a very nice chili red Cooper S with JCW package at my dealer for less money but when I saw the front brake discs and calipers of the JCW, my decision was clear. Just love it how it looks and the larger brake certainly will also provide a stopping advantage (hopefully).

--

seems like MINI is growing up and maturing 

sfo:

Indeed but some fans may not like it. I have mixed feelings about it. Of course I would like a lighter Mini, the 231 hp of the Cooper S JCW sound like a lot of power for such a small car but in reality, the Mini isn't that small anymore and weight is almost 1.3 tons. On the other hand, the new quality and "maturity" level of the Mini cannot be ignored. My first Mini looked and felt quite "cheap" in the interior.

--

sfo:

There is both irony and danger for the brand in those words. 

--

fritz

MINI has become MINI MIDI now. Soon we'll see a MINI MAXI limousine

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Have you seen the new 4-door Mini Clubman? This already is a Mini Maxi. Smiley I never liked the old Clubman and yes, the new one looks much better but the size of this thing is just... Smiley

2015-10-15_12-32-52.jpg

--

The original BMW MINI had some magic mainly because of its style and proportions, in spite of its weaknesses.

Now, for the sake of making the brand viable BMW have come up with all sorts of eccentricities yes

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

The original BMW MINI had some magic mainly because of its style and proportions, in spite of its weaknesses.

Now, for the sake of making the brand viable BMW have come up with all sorts of eccentricities yes

I agree but it seems to work (for BMW). 

Personally, I only like the Cooper S, no Clubman or Countryman for me (anymore). I had the Countryman (AWD) and it was a good winter car but in the end, not really a Mini but just another small SUV with a Mini badge on it.

The JCW is in my opinion just perfect for my needs but I have to admit that my mother would be happy with the One as well. I just don't see myself in the One. Here is the photo of the One I wanted, my wife was shocked how "ugly" it is. Smiley

IMG_0151.JPG

--

Here is the red Cooper S with JCW package. Very nice looking car but not really much less than the JCW (lease).

1444907326811IMG_0146.JPG

--

RC:
    reginos:

Have you seen the new 4-door Mini Clubman? This already is a Mini Maxi. Smiley I never liked the old Clubman and yes, the new one looks much better but the size of this thing is just... Smiley

2015-10-15_12-32-52.jpg

I love this car! Yes it's no longer MINI size wise but it's not that big. It's almost identical to the mm with a Golf!

Even the basic MINI 2 door looks so bloated nowadays like it received a few Cortisone shots.

--

"Form follows function"

the JCW front bumper is a horrible mess

reginos:

Even the basic MINI 2 door looks so bloated nowadays like it received a few Cortisone shots.

I agree. The JCW looks kind of OK because of the many JCW style elements but when you look at the Mini One pic I posted, you see that bloated shape instantly. One reason not to go for this Mini One.

--

sfo:

the JCW front bumper is a horrible mess

It looks weird on pictures but quite OK (though not perfect, a big overstyled) in reality. They needed the extra holes for cooling (according to my dealer), apparently there is an intercooler or cooler or whatever behind them (don't remember, dealer told me but I didn't really pay attention). This is why the actual JCW version doesn't have the fog lights, while the Cooper S with the same JCW style package has (minus that extra cooler from the JCW version).

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    763529 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435999 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257774 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    82561 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5325 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

872847 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    808337 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM