Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: World premiere for Porsche Mission E

Slightly off topic, but which models are these? Just received email from my dealer stating that both models are available in 1/43

. EModels.jpg

E denotes Porsche's electric car program, so these must be electric prototypes of the Boxster and Cayman. They had three 987 Boxster E prototypes rolling around a few years ago, so seeing 981 renditions makes me raise a few eyebrows. Silver and acid green details make this look legit though...

RC, any insight?

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Porsche has had these electric Boxster running around as early as 2013. 

--

Whoopsy:

Porsche has had these electric Boxster running around as early as 2013. 

I saw an electric Boxster at Weissach while attending the 918 long-lead preview in August, 2011.  They were giving rides.  I declined a ride since our family had a Tesla Roadster since early 2009, which was reputed to be a bit faster.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Cool, so now 2011 is the earliest sightings

--

Great information all around, folks!  Thanks...

I wasn't aware that Porsche carried over the "E" program to the 981 models but it makes sense. Haven't heard much about it yet though, so maybe there is going to be some sort of announcement soon.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

fritz:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/boxster/first-drives/porsche-boxster-e

Look at the dates in the comments section of this article ^^

2011!  It concerns the same exact car I saw some months later. 

Old news.

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Stupid question: When Elon Musk was asked about the Mission E just recently, he said "this looks exactly like our car...".

Did I miss something? Does Tesla have a similar project looking the same? yes

When asked about Apple's poaching of Tesla engineers, he apparently got a bit upset and said that these engineers have been fired and that they're actually making jokes at Tesla that Apple is getting the graveyard from Tesla. I find this hard to believe, especially since there is a lot of evidence that Apple has hired some very skilled former Tesla engineers.

Does anyone have any insight or was that only Elon Musk "venting" his frustration in a very weird way? yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

W8MM:
    fritz:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/boxster/first-drives/porsche-boxster-e

Old news.

I didn't post it as news. It was posted just to show that it wasn't news, in fact. 

--

fritz

RC:

Stupid question: When Elon Musk was asked about the Mission E just recently, he said "this looks exactly like our car...".

Did I miss something? Does Tesla have a similar project looking the same? yes

When asked about Apple's poaching of Tesla engineers, he apparently got a bit upset and said that these engineers have been fired and that they're actually making jokes at Tesla that Apple is getting the graveyard from Tesla. I find this hard to believe, especially since there is a lot of evidence that Apple has hired some very skilled former Tesla engineers.

Does anyone have any insight or was that only Elon Musk "venting" his frustration in a very weird way? yes

That's what you call "sour grapes".  Smiley  The departure of those engineers obviously hurt. 

--

fritz

I kind of have the feeling that Elon Musk is a super ambitious person and doesn't really like competition.

Well, I guess this is what it takes to become a billionaire. yes

--

You really love Apple little bit too much....Smiley

Let me guess? You are anticipating iCar and would like to get one as soon as Apple starts to produce it?

If the answer is yes Apple needs to give you as much as possible amounts of iPhone 6S plus for free. You have Hyper Warp love for Apple.

KresoF1:

Let me guess? You are anticipating iCar and would like to get one as soon as Apple starts to produce it?

If the answer is yes Apple needs to give you as much as possible amounts of iPhone 6S plus for free. You have Hyper Warp love for Apple.

Seriously, some of you Android guys seem to have some sort of Apple trauma. Smiley Smiley

Why would I buy an Apple car when I don't even know how it will look and what the specs will be? We don't even know if Apple is developing such a car, maybe they are developing something else, something car related?!

Contrary to you (and many Android users I know), I do also have various Android phones (very likely more than you and many others here together), I even have a Chrome laptop, I have tons of Android tablets (incl. the latest Nexus 9), I have Amazon Fire TV, I even have the Amazon Echo (which isn't even available in Europe), all my TVs are from Samsung (so you can't call me a Samsung hater...Smiley) and I won't even tell you how many Windows laptops and desktops I still have, despite the fact that I am mainly using OSX and Macs. Smiley 

Bottom line is: I keep my mind open, I am trying new things because I like that and I criticize everything when I don't like it. You apparently are imprisoned in some sort of childish defiance when you are talking about Android, Audi or now Mercedes. 

Smiley 

--

Good move. Smiley
    Now that the Apple discussion has been banned from the Android thread, it's moved to the Porsche Mission E thread.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

Good move. Smiley
    Now that the Apple discussion has been banned from the Android thread, it's moved to the Porsche Mission E thread.  Smiley

Smiley I told Kreso that he can continue the Android/iPhone discussion in the iPhone/Apple thread if he likes to but apparently I speak a different language.

Musk clearly "targeted" Apple and a possible iCar in his interview, this is why I mentioned it, especially since it is directly related to the Mission E. I don't have a clue why Kreso actually started with his Android stuff in this thread. Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:

Seriously, some of you Android guys seem to have some sort of Apple trauma. Smiley Smiley

Why would I buy an Apple car when I don't even know how it will look and what the specs will be? We don't even know if Apple is developing such a car, maybe they are developing something else, something car related?!

Contrary to you (and many Android users I know), I do also have various Android phones (very likely more than you and many others here together), I even have a Chrome laptop, I have tons of Android tablets (incl. the latest Nexus 9), I have Amazon Fire TV, I even have the Amazon Echo (which isn't even available in Europe), all my TVs are from Samsung (so you can't call me a Samsung hater...Smiley) and I won't even tell you how many Windows laptops and desktops I still have, despite the fact that I am mainly using OSX and Macs. Smiley 

Bottom line is: I keep my mind open, I am trying new things because I like that and I criticize everything when I don't like it. You apparently are imprisoned in some sort of childish defiance when you are talking about Android, Audi or now Mercedes. 

Smiley 

--

You do not think  that you crossed the line here? 

So, if I do not share the same or in best case scenario similar opinion to your I suffer from "childish defiance"?

Ok, it is your forum after all.

fritz:
    W8MM:
    fritz:

Old news.

I didn't post it as news. It was posted just to show that it wasn't news, in fact. 

SmileySmileySmiley

--

Mike

fritz:
    RC:

That's what you call "sour grapes".  Smiley  The departure of those engineers obviously hurt. 

Yeah, he's obviously pissed as hell at Apple. 

apias:
    fritz:
    RC:

Yeah, he's obviously pissed as hell at Apple. 

He managed to bite his tongue in time to stop himself saying "They're like rats leaving a sinking ship".  Smiley

--

fritz

No kidding.

Engineer: I've taken a job at Apple to work on the Titan project. I start Monday, I quit.

Elon: You can't quit me, you're fired! Have fun at the 'graveyard'! And take your stinkin' Apple Watch and iPad with you! Ooh, a pencil, I've got a @#$%ing Gigafactory! laugh  

This still doesn't answer my first question: Why does Musk refer to the Mission E as something looking like their "own" car? Do they have a similar project I missed? I like the Tesla S and how it looks but it looks nothing like the pretty spectacular Mission E (well, at least on photos it looks spectacular, people who saw it live seem to be less enthusiastic).

--

It's a sedan, it's electric, it's powerful. Looks similar enough to me. 

--

Whoopsy:

Now I start to get it... Smiley 

--

RC:

This still doesn't answer my first question: Why does Musk refer to the Mission E as something looking like their "own" car? Do they have a similar project I missed? I like the Tesla S and how it looks but it looks nothing like the pretty spectacular Mission E (well, at least on photos it looks spectacular, people who saw it live seem to be less enthusiastic).

Elon has x-ray vision and the batteries look pretty much the same to him.

Either that or he's just lost it. Maybe public domain'ing his technology wasn't such a brilliant idea in retrospect, but a mistake born of hubris.

Whoopsy:

Its got 4 wheels - of course its similar! 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Elon now says he loves Apple, plans to propose to Jony Ive, will buy an Apple car when it's released, he and Jony will dance on the grave of Tesla, or former Tesla employees, or something like that.

apias:

Elon now says he loves Apple, plans to propose to Jony Ive, will buy an Apple car when it's released, he and Jony will dance on the grave of Tesla, or former Tesla employees, or something like that.

Weird, isn't it? I think he bit his tongue after he said what he said because he realized that many of his customers are actually also Apple customers. Smiley When he basically public domained his Tesla tech, what did he expect to happen?

--

Interesting comments about change in the car industry by Tim cook

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/apple/11941976/Apples-Tim-Cook-tells-the-car-industry-to-expect-massive-change.html

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM