Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 - GT2/GT3 Language: English Region: Worldwide - Asia Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 911 R Thread Closed

Back off topic again. 😁 How about this, in 2025, we will have a RT celebration for Christian and Grant somewhere in Europe, on a track. It will be my 50th then so it will be my celebration too. 

As for 911R, I just don't get it. 991.1 indicators and "old" GT3 bumpers? Why wouldn't they use the 991.2 GT3 items as a preview for .2 GT3 given the R is the premium product so it should have them first. As for the question why Porsche would spend the money to develop a new manual for a small run car, the answer is simple. 991.2 GT3 will come in manual and the development cost is shared with the R. 

WAY:

As for the question why Porsche would spend the money to develop a new manual for a small run car, the answer is simple. 991.2 GT3 will come in manual and the development cost is shared with the R. 

makes perfect sense

WAY:

Back off topic again. 😁 How about this, in 2025, we will have a RT celebration for Christian and Grant somewhere in Europe, on a track. It will be my 50th then so it will be my celebration too. 

As for 911R, I just don't get it. 991.1 indicators and "old" GT3 bumpers? Why wouldn't they use the 991.2 GT3 items as a preview for .2 GT3 given the R is the premium product so it should have them first. As for the question why Porsche would spend the money to develop a new manual for a small run car, the answer is simple. 991.2 GT3 will come in manual and the development cost is shared with the R. 

Sounds fun, but that's a long wait.  Maybe we should celebrate your 40th now? Smiley

Hope you're right about manual GT3!

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I still think that manual will die a slow death but maybe Porsche will lean towards nostalgia from time to time... 😜

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Good luck to anyone who buys this car for speculation. Porsche priced it to make the flip profit themselves yes

SciFrog:

Good luck to anyone who buys this car for speculation. Porsche priced it to make the flip profit themselves yes

I remember when the GT4 was coming that many of the rumors indicated a price 50% more than the actual price.  Hope the same is true here (even that would be a stretch, imo)...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    SciFrog:

I remember when the GT4 was coming that many of the rumors indicated a price 50% more than the actual price.  Hope the same is true here (even that would be a stretch, imo)...

--

I always said that the GT4 will be priced under the GT3 price tag but I have to admit that I never thought the base price would be under 100k. I'm afraid the 240k EUR I mentioned are quite accurate but you never know, maybe Porsche surprises us and they make it 239k. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

If that happens, do you think there may also be a 991.2 GT3 with Manual at a more normal price?

--

Grant:

If that happens, do you think there may also be a 991.2 GT3 with Manual at a more normal price?

--

There will be a next GT3 but the price will be slightly higher than for the current one. With manual? I still doubt it but you never know. With the next 992 models, manual could be a challenge though due to very sophisticated tech with lots of integrated electronics.

I still think that most manufacturers will slowly but steadily kill off manual but if new tech arises, like some sort of "fake" clutch system with a "fake" gearbox, you never know. If people want to have manual, manufacturers could "simulate" this without compromising the whole tech of the car for a real clutch and manual transmission.

--

A guys on rennlist see the picture below.

I ask on PM some questions and he see a picture of the final car... true or false...

i say me the car on the picture have a ducktail i copy all the email with him :

"sorry can't send pics but will say it looks like a GT3 and a 73 RS had babies"

"yes light interior. not sure if GT3 or RS motor but will be one of them"

"pictures of exterior- no interior"

"Ducktail. Probably some carbon panels for light weight and to make people spend!! "

True or false...Doubt but a picture is probaly show to 918 owner intersting by the car? it's a suposition..

Capture d’écran 2015-11-25 à 13.13.24.png

--

997 GT3 RS 3.6 - 964 RS - 991 GT3 RS

RC:
    Grant:

There will be a next GT3 but the price will be slightly higher than for the current one. With manual? I still doubt it but you never know.

Thanks, hope so...

--

RC,

You mentioned a 991 GT3 MkII, which is foreseen for end spring 2017.

Do you believe into a turbo motor or to a Non turbo engine , slightly extrapolated from the current one ??

If so , then the 991 GT3 will take some depreciation and I need to seel it during 2016 .-).

Thnaks for your feedback.

Rgds,

--

997 Carrera S Triple Black Sold now ... Good car 997 GT3 triple black wow what a car !!!

RC:

There will be a next GT3 but the price will be slightly higher than for the current one. With manual? I still doubt it but you never know. With the next 992 models, manual could be a challenge though due to very sophisticated tech with lots of integrated electronics.

I still think that most manufacturers will slowly but steadily kill off manual but if new tech arises, like some sort of "fake" clutch system with a "fake" gearbox, you never know. If people want to have manual, manufacturers could "simulate" this without compromising the whole tech of the car for a real clutch and manual transmission.

That sounds familiar Smiley

thierry:

RC,

You mentioned a 991 GT3 MkII, which is foreseen for end spring 2017.

Do you believe into a turbo motor or to a Non turbo engine , slightly extrapolated from the current one ??

If so , then the 991 GT3 will take some depreciation and I need to seel it during 2016 .-).

Thnaks for your feedback.

Rgds,

There is (or was?) supposed to be some sort of essential decision about the future of the n/a GT engines and I really don't have a clue about the outcome of that decision. For Porsche, it would make sense to switch to turbo charged engines on all their 911 models, incl. the GT models but... Smiley

Personally, I hope they are sticking to the n/a engines and if there is going to be a GT3 MkII, it will be very likely a model using the 4.0 l from the GT3 RS. Maybe with 495 hp only to keep the necessary distance. Smiley

Seriously, I have no clue, there is so much secrecy going on at Porsche right now and what I sometimes know, I cannot always say because it comes from one single source only and it could be dangerous for the source. Sorry about that. For me, this is a hobby but for the people telling me about new products, this is their job and they could loose it. There is a certain trust which has developed over years and I am not willing to change anything about it. Other people on other websites may be less caring and they give a damn about what happens to people when they talk too much but I prefer to get a steady flow of information for years instead of getting a single headline and then I get ignored because I violated the trust. Not me. Smiley

Long story short: It appears that a lot is going on at Porsche right now, the next 911 generation is already under full development and also very challenging. With the new VW scandal, many engineers are expecting tougher laws along the way, not only for Diesel engines, so they need to be prepared for them, they cannot be surprised by them. 

--

For 240k we are instantly talking about a different league. Now this car has to compare to McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Also - those cars are much more exclusive, no entry model below 100k available. You have to be a huge Porsche fan to go into this investment.

Lars997:

For 240k we are instantly talking about a different league. Now this car has to compare to McLaren, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Also - those cars are much more exclusive, no entry model below 100k available. You have to be a huge Porsche fan to go into this investment.

Remember the Sport Classic? I just hope the rumors are right and they are using the GT3 engine. If not, I wouldn't pay that much for a special edition model. So far, it looks as if it gets the 4.0 engine from the GT3 RS (according to latest rumors) but the power figure is still unknown (rumors range from 470 to 500 hp).

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Remember the Sport Classic? I just hope the rumors are right and they are using the GT3 engine. If not, I wouldn't pay that much for a special edition model. So far, it looks as if it gets the 4.0 engine from the GT3 RS (according to latest rumors) but the power figure is still unknown (rumors range from 470 to 500 hp).

You are right - those car will not loose a penny on value. On the other hand you can buy yourself a ticket to the hyper-brand cars.

To be honest: If I had the money right now, I would get the 911 R but not as a collectible but as a weekend toy car. This car will always be special, no matter how fast it is (or better said not...compared to cars prices in the same price range). Also, chances are big that it will rise in value over time, even if I drive it.

Too many nice cars out there right  now...and so little money. I think I need to find a new job. How does a sports car dealership in Miami sound?  indecision

--

Rossi:
    RC:

Latest rumor from today:

1. 600 cars (100 cars for Germany only)

2. 475 hp GT3 based engine and chassis/brake system

3. base price around 240k EUR (incl. 19% VAT in Germany)

4. lightweight materials for hood, engine lid and other parts

5. PDK(!)

6. rear seats and comfort options (A/C, PCM, sound system, etc.) optional

Please take this with a grain of salt because this is basically the same information I got a few months ago, so maybe it isn't really new.

Car is rumored to be basically sold out. Also, apparently, this car is not part of the 918 VIP program.

I know I should get one but I don't have the money right now. Bummer. Smiley

Okay, I've seen the car. There was no camouflage on it. The only thing that was covered was the centre console, so you could not tell, if there is a manual or PDK underneath. However, the steering wheel didn't feature flappy pedals, so that leaves only two possibilities:

1. the car will have PDK, but the to fool those who see it before presentation they've installed a steering wheel without pedals
    2. the car will be manual

Since the car looked finished, I believe the latter, so that there will be at least the option to order it as manual.

What else could I see: new air vent at the bottom of the engine lid (we talked about this here before), filled with a mesh, air vent below the front hood, similar to that of a GT3, also filled with a mesh, rear bumper exactly the same as that of a GT3, retractable rear spoiler like that of the standard Carrera (with the "old" horizontal grill, not the new one of the 991.2), front bumper of the GT3 with the old indicators and DRL, rear lights like the 991.1, CF-sport seats in leather/fabric with old-style Pepita-patterned cloth in black and white in the centre.
    The car featured PCCB and GT3-style rims, wheel caps were covered as well as the designation in the head rests, which should read 911 R, new-style steering wheel  in alcantara but without the Porsche "manettino", sport design rear mirrors, dials with white indexes, rev counter with "911" in white and "R" in red, alcantara interior with aluminium accents, GT3 RS front hood with regressed middle part. Car did not have rear seats.

Now, I have ten pictures of the car, but I won't post them here.

One word to the driver as a well-meant advice: politeness helps a lot, in both cases, if you want to achieve or prevent something. Not that he has been rude, far from that, but you can never tell, who is the one standing in front of you. And if I park a brand new Porsche with "LB-Y 3028" plates in front of a shop and leave it unattended for more than 15 minutes (I was on my way to and back to someone and the car had not been moved) and leave the driver window completely opened all the time, you should be aware in times of smart phones etc. that someone interested will take pictures of it.

So it has been me, who took the pictures and telling someone "that you don't want pictures of the car to be taken and don't want to see them appear in social media" won't help in most cases, yet I won't post them here. Just a little bit more friendliness would be nice.

If he wants to contact me, I guess Porsche has my number and address. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

RC:

To be honest: If I had the money right now, I would get the 911 R but not as a collectible but as a weekend toy car. This car will always be special, no matter how fast it is (or better said not...compared to cars prices in the same price range). Also, chances are big that it will rise in value over time, even if I drive it.

Too many nice cars out there right  now...and so little money. I think I need to find a new job. How does a sports car dealership in Miami sound?  indecision

Unfortunately all the 991 Rs are spoken for. My dealer said his 918 customer is the only one getting one. I'm with you RC, if I would get one it would be my weekend toy car. 

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, New York

[Unfortunately all the 991 Rs are spoken for. My dealer said his 918 customer is the only one getting one. I'm with you RC, if I would get one it would be my weekend toy car. ]

This is what I am hearing too. I would love to get one of these and am even prepared to buy something else to get in line. Its easier to get a limited edition Ferrari these days than a Porsche Smiley

The car is sold out because its limited, and many persons don't know how to spend their money, thats all.

If i want a similar car  i buy an old  991 s na/manual , strip it out,  add. some design feature, save 120' Euro and have nearly the same road fun.

--

Being polite is so rare these days that it's often confused with flirting.

Turbo:

The car is sold out because its limited, and many persons don't know how to spend their money, thats all.

If i want a similar car  i buy an old  991 s na/manual , strip it out,  add. some design feature, save 120' Euro and have nearly the same road fun.

Different strokes for different folks. For some people making a trip, the journey is as much fun as the destination. 
    For others, it's all about instant gratification. 

--

fritz

The ultra rich is always gobbling up these special limited you are awesome editions. I would have hoped for a more serious effort from Porsche to produce another cool sporty 911 approach. A manual GT3, it would have been a great option and seeing the positive responses on the GT4 could be reality. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Not the ultra rich, but the well connected ones. 

It's the same deal with Ferrari and in a way Lamborghini. The Limited Editions are just symbols for the factory, perhaps to reward their most loyal customers, perhaps to celebrate something. 

Yes the 918 owners have first dips, even without the PCNA VIP programs, but consider they each paid Porsche a million, it's not a surprised that they get preferred treatment. But for the non-918 owners, some also spent close to a million on regular 911s or other products over the years, and if they bought them all from the same dealer, I am sure the dealer will put them in the same category as the 918 owners too with respect to allocations. 

For regular Joe Smiths, who perhaps only wanted the Limited Edition cars for their 'appreciation' value, why would the dealers, or in a way the factory, gives them the 'benefit'?

Of course not all Joe Smiths are like there, there will be people who genuinely WANTS a manual GT3 level car, but it's just part of the capitalism system that they won't be the first choice for allocation, as they do not have  previous relationships with the dealers. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare. It's like me with Ferraris, I never had one, never wanted to even walked int the dealership to even try and spec one cause I wasn't on their radar before. But as it happened, by pure luck I ran into a Speciale, one of Ferrari's specialty car, that was available for purchase, and that's how I got into the door and then benefits from that. 

Sales figures don't lie, car companies can see how thing goes, with Ferrari, then had already noticed that people buying manual cars are the very minority, there was no point in even trying to build one anymore, losing a handful of customers is acceptable. Pretty much same with Porsche, they had been offering manuals in the regular 911s for the longest time, those buyers are also in the very minority, very vocal, but very few in numbers, had to justify blending the manual cars within the regular production line. But they still know there are a tiny minority section of the market that WANTS a manual car and props to them for even trying to build one.

Not all the connected owners will buy the 911R. The fact that it's a manual is already enough a negative to put them off. I am one of those. It's like why would I want to buy a carburetor car or a car with a hand crank starter, now in the year 2015? It doesn't make any sense. I admit I still ended up ordering one, but that car is already spoken for, I ordered it for a good friend of mine that probably has no chance to secure an allocation by himself. I am not even going to make a penny off it, might even get him a discount even. 

A GT3 is a race car in street trim. It only make sense to go with progress and produce cars with paddle shifts as all race cars are already using them, that's called continue the racing heritage, a proper Porsche tradition. 

--

Atzporsche:

The ultra rich is always gobbling up these special limited you are awesome editions.

Now i know why i don't understand the hype of limited editions. I'am not the target groupSmiley

--

Being polite is so rare these days that it's often confused with flirting.

Turbo:
    Atzporsche:

The ultra rich is always gobbling up these special limited you are awesome editions.

Now i know why i don't understand the hype of limited editions. I'am not the target groupSmiley

I am part of the target group but I cannot afford it. Smiley Smiley Smiley

I have my regrets though not choosing certain cars and re-selling them but I'm not in the car business and I think Porsche wouldn't like it (even after 6 months), so... Well, gladly, I don't have the money, so not really a problem... Smiley Smiley

--

I can't wait to see the 911R; and I am very curious whether the manual gearbox is (or based on) the PDK derived 7 speed or a whole new unit

Btw, when is its release date?

Geneva 2016 according to rumors

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    776599 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    441470 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262654 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260792 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85078 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5494 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

880484 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    815591 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM