Crown

Board: Porsche - Boxster Language: English Region: Worldwide - Europe - Germany Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Non approved Porsche car from a Porsche dealer

I am checking regularly the Porsche website to look for a used Boxster GTS that meets my specification. I see that some of the vehicles that the Porsche dealers are selling are “Porsche Approved” but some others not.

Why is that?

Is because the previous owner of the car did not want to pay to get the “approval”? or is it because the car did not pass the inspection to be “approved?

The underlying question is: is it safe to buy a used non-Porsche Approved from a Porsche dealer?

Re: Non approved Porsche car from a Porsche dealer

The short answer is: Ask them.

Assuming that you are indeed looking for a GTS, it may be that there is still the "new car 2 year guarantee" on the car in question, which would then be the reason, why there is no "approved (used car)" label.

Whether it is "safe" to buy whatever car from a Porsche dealer...well...I doubt that you will get the answer you would like to hear...

IMO: Porsche approved are cars which are pre-owned but in current ownership of the Porsche center. They fulfill the checklist of quality as well they come with a guarantee. 

Usually, if they don't have this, the car are sold in order of a client "im Kundenauftrag". 

But as d997h says - just ask them.

pacix:

I am checking regularly the Porsche website to look for a used Boxster GTS that meets my specification. I see that some of the vehicles that the Porsche dealers are selling are “Porsche Approved” but some others not.

Why is that?

Is because the previous owner of the car did not want to pay to get the “approval”? or is it because the car did not pass the inspection to be “approved?

The underlying question is: is it safe to buy a used non-Porsche Approved from a Porsche dealer?

It should be possible to get every car in dealer stock, unless it is modified/tuned, with Approved. You just have to pay for it (I think this is the only difference where Approved is already included and without Approved you need to pay for it extra but I may be wrong). Just ask, there is nothing to lose.

Personally, I would never buy a Porsche from a private person or a non-authorized Porsche dealer because I heard too many bad stories, may they be true or not.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Even if the car is outside the original factory warranty, get the seller to pass the car through the Porsche 111 Point Test and give you the approved extended warranty.

This can be extended up to 9 years or if during the eighth year you do a 2 year extension it can go to 10 years.

--

"Form follows function"

Thanks for the quick answers.

The problem to ask them is that I just moved to Germany 1,5 years ago and my German is very limited from anything else than “daily” conversations and ask for beer. Smiley So I wanted to do all the homework I can via internet before sitting in front of a sales person to discuss the deal. Considering how the market is today, do you think it is possible to get any discount (5%-6%) over the published prices?

So, the cars which do not have the “Approved” warranty is because the previous owner did not to pay to get when the sold the car to the dealer?

I wasn´t sure about it. I thought that this might be because the fail the quality check to get the Approval.

Thanks for the advise to not buy from a private person. I understand from your comment RC that the companies that sell Porsches but are not a Porsche dealer might imply a higher risk.

pacix:

So, the cars which do not have the “Approved” warranty is because the previous owner did not to pay to get when the sold the car to the dealer?

I wasn´t sure about it. I thought that this might be because the fail the quality check to get the Approval.

After the first two years when the factory warranty runs out, extended warranty is optional and has to be paid for. This is like insurance by a third party like Allianz for example. For a Carrera it is about 1.000 EUR a year.

Many owners don't bother to get an extended warranty but you cannot know if someone tried to get one and was rejected because the car failed the 111 points test. Failure could be for many things incl. worn tyres, Non N-rated tyres, after market parts even wheels and exhaust and of course for more serious damages and deficiencies.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Even if the car is outside the original factory warranty, get the seller to pass the car through the Porsche 111 Point Test and give you the approved extended warranty.

This can be extended up to 9 years or if during the eighth year you do a 2 year extension it can go to 10 years.

Boxster GTS hasn't been on the market for 2 years yet so the balance of the manufactur's warranty should still be valid. ) But not sure what the warranty term is in Germany - UK is three years / 60,000 miles - from date of first registration) Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

C'mon...how dare you to think that we would have the same terms and conditions ? SmileySmileySmiley Germany is 2 years, albeit without any miles / km restrictions...Smiley

I suppose that most of the P. dealers in your neighborhood have at least one sales person to speak English...so, call them.Smiley

d997h:

I suppose that most of the P. dealers in your neighborhood have at least one sales person to speak English...so, call them.Smiley

Smiley

--

fritz

d997h:

Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

d997h:

C'mon...how dare you to think that we would have the same terms and conditions ? SmileySmileySmiley Germany is 2 years, albeit without any miles / km restrictions...Smiley

Sorry just checked we also get unlimited mileage! Smiley In fairness ours was also 2 year warranty with the option at extra cost of the third year - all Porsche did was to increase the list price of their cars by the cost of the optional third year - so weren't actually any better off!!!Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Thanks a lot.

I will not reduce my search to Porsche Approved only then. If one that is in a Porsche Dealer, meets my specification and it is not Approved, I will ask why not.

Regarding prices, do you think it is realistic think that a used (in dealer´s stock) 79k€ car can be negotiated to 75k€, for example?

images.jpg

Yes, you can or may be not.

Talk to the people - Sorry, but there are so many things which may be considered...try to get a feeling of what the dealers is up to...talk and listen...

pacix:

Thanks a lot.

I will not reduce my search to Porsche Approved only then. If one that is in a Porsche Dealer, meets my specification and it is not Approved, I will ask why not.

I am pretty sure that Approved can be "arranged" in most cases.

Regarding prices, do you think it is realistic think that a used (in dealer´s stock) 79k€ car can be negotiated to 75k€, for example?

Depends on how badly the dealer wants to get rid of the car, how long it is already in stock and if he already marked it down in the past. If he isn't willing to reduce the price, maybe he is willing to throw in some winter wheels or Porsche luggage or whatever in a similar value but of course you should only accept stuff you really need.

--

pacix:

Thanks a lot.

That would be a 5% reduction, so certainly not too much of one as a conversation starter. 

--

fritz

I asked a German dealer for an approved 997 once if it was repainted and he told me that the whole front end of the car was repainted.

The whole front end is practically the plastic bumper. It takes a lot of stone chips especially during motorway driving and it is usually repainted before sale.

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:
    pacix:

Thanks a lot.

That would be a 5% reduction, so certainly not too much of one as a conversation starter.

I will start negotiations with more than this, so after discussions and concessions, the discount will be around this.

RC:
    pacix:

Thanks a lot.

I am pretty sure that Approved can be "arranged" in most cases.

Depends on how badly the dealer wants to get rid of the car, how long it is already in stock and if he already marked it down in the past. If he isn't willing to reduce the price, maybe he is willing to throw in some winter wheels or Porsche luggage or whatever in a similar value but of course you should only accept stuff you really need.

I will not be in the position of making the change before Feb 2016, so the good thing about start now to look is that I will know how long the car have been at the dealer. Thanks for the idea about other type of economic benefit. I will keep it in mind; some GTS owners changed the sport steering that comes standard for the multifunction that I do not like, so changing back to the sport can be also something I will appreciate if I cannot get the discount.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM