Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Is Bugatti's Continued Existance in Doubt ??

RC:
    koko:
    RC:
    koko:

Please let's not turn this thread into another political discussion. Not all of us Come here to talk politics. Thx 

I'm afraid Volkswagen's future is as political as it can get, believe it or not... Smiley

VW is not your ordinary car manufacturer, VW is the German industry and VW is heavily connected to the German government on various levels. 

So far, Germany has been known as the country of a great industry and morale. Now everything has changed. This affects Germany to it's deepest core, politically and socially. Many non-Germans may not actually realize it.

If you think that the whole VW scandal has nothing to do with politics, wait until the German government actually wakes up. So far, they are still under shock but at some point, they will recover and start working on recovering German credibility and of course trying to keep VW alive.

I kind of get the feeling that TTIP will be a bargaining chip in this case, forcing the US to step back a notch, to avoid destroying or even only heavily damaging VW in the process. In exchange, Germany may actually get closer to signing TTIP but of course this is just a guess since not only Germany is involved in the negotiations but also the rest of the EU.

Interesting times ahead for VW but also for the German government who needs to protect VW at any cost, simply because VW is too big to fail and if it fails, it would be a national tragedy. Not going to happen.

What does VW got to do with the immigration crises ?. 

You are kidding, right? The German government will have to help out VW at some point and with the current refugee crisis, it will get much more difficult. Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Germany. Smiley Smiley 

As an example: Right now, my kids have to go to do sports in school outside in the "fresh air" (3°C in the morning) because their school sports facility is occupied with refugees. Both of my kids got a cold because of that, many other kids as well. Of course this is not the same as fleeing war Smiley but you get the picture here and why many many Germans started to be worried about the many refugees coming to Germany. This affects the whole German economy and many other parts of daily life.

Germs make you sick, not cold weather Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Cold weather, however, does equal stress, which can lead to a weakened immune system, which can lead to getting sick.

apias:
    bluelines:

Cold weather, however, does equal stress, which can lead to a weakened immune system, which can lead to getting sick.

What doesn't kill you just toughens you to better withstand real life. 

Should be grateful to those immigrants.  Smiley

--

fritz

Low body temperature and changes to the respiratory system induced by cold weather make people susceptible to these virus infections.

All these in the thread about Bugatti 

--

"Form follows function"

fritz:

What doesn't kill you just toughens you to better withstand real life. ...

If only that were true. In fact, it just weakens you so that the lions have a better chance the next time.

apias:
    bluelines:

I wonder who is more stressed, the school kids in the "fresh air" or the refugee kids who fled war Smiley

--

apias:
    fritz:

If only that were true. In fact, it just weakens you so that the lions have a better chance the next time.

You got free roaming lions in the US? Smiley Smiley

--

apias:
    fritz:

You are just trying to defend that dentist for what he did to Cecil.   Smiley

--

fritz

To get back on topic, the question asked in the headline might well be justified:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/volkswagen-will-put-nonessential-projects-investments-under-review-2015-10-06?siteid=rss&rs...

--

fritz

fritz:

To get back on topic, the question asked in the headline might well be justified:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/volkswagen-will-put-nonessential-projects-investments-under-review-2015-10-06?siteid=rss&rs...

Would it not make sense for VW to sell off those brands rather than putting the projects dormant? For example, the brand Bugatti must be worth a lot.

--

bluelines:
    fritz:

Would it not make sense for VW to sell off those brands rather than putting the projects dormant? For example, the brand Bugatti must be worth a lot.

I have some Bugatti branded trousers and shoes in my wardrobe, but I believe the use of the name for non-automotive marketing is already in other hands anyway.  Smiley

PS:  Google is your friend. More than you ever wanted to know about the Bugatti brand name:

http://bugatti-shoes.com/en/footer/company/questions-and-answers.html
    --

fritz

fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

I have some Bugatti branded trousers and shoes in my wardrobe, but I believe the use of the name for non-automotive marketing is already in other hands anyway.  Smiley

Smiley

I meant it in an automotive sense.

--

bluelines:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

Smiley

Profitable brand names might be worth a lot.  

I don't know if that can be said to apply to Bugatti cars.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

Smiley

If all the money wasted on subsidizing Bugatti went to reducing the NOx of the EA189, VW would have been a happier place now.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:
    bluelines:
    fritz:

Smiley

If all the money wasted on subsidizing Bugatti went to reducing the NOx of the EA189, VW would have been a happier place now.

...  and I would be in a happier place if someone told me I could keep the change.  

--

fritz

bluelines:
    apias:
    fritz:

You got free roaming lions in the US? Smiley Smiley

Occasionally. And, actually, fairly often if you count mountain lions. And there was an instance several years ago of a guy who had a tiger in his apartment, until I guess he couldn't afford to feed it and it ate him.

bluelines:
    fritz:

I don't think Bugatti is worth much at all as a brand. It's not that well known even. Unless youre just going to stick a badge on some other halo/exotic, not sure what you'd do with it. BMW/Mercedes would probably be the only logical suitor for the brand and they'd be better off just building their own branded halo cars since they don't have any at the moment.

It took Bugatti like 10 years to sell 500 cars, whereas it took Ferrari, Porsche, and McLaren like 1 year to sell all their $1M cars.

Does VAG needs 2 brands to compete in endurance racing? I have to imagine Audi's racing program would be the first one getting reviewed, unless Piech fought his way back into power, then Porsche might have to pull out. 

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    koko:
    RC:
    koko:

Please let's not turn this thread into another political discussion. Not all of us Come here to talk politics. Thx 

I'm afraid Volkswagen's future is as political as it can get, believe it or not... Smiley

VW is not your ordinary car manufacturer, VW is the German industry and VW is heavily connected to the German government on various levels. 

So far, Germany has been known as the country of a great industry and morale. Now everything has changed. This affects Germany to it's deepest core, politically and socially. Many non-Germans may not actually realize it.

If you think that the whole VW scandal has nothing to do with politics, wait until the German government actually wakes up. So far, they are still under shock but at some point, they will recover and start working on recovering German credibility and of course trying to keep VW alive.

I kind of get the feeling that TTIP will be a bargaining chip in this case, forcing the US to step back a notch, to avoid destroying or even only heavily damaging VW in the process. In exchange, Germany may actually get closer to signing TTIP but of course this is just a guess since not only Germany is involved in the negotiations but also the rest of the EU.

Interesting times ahead for VW but also for the German government who needs to protect VW at any cost, simply because VW is too big to fail and if it fails, it would be a national tragedy. Not going to happen.

What does VW got to do with the immigration crises ?. 

You are kidding, right? The German government will have to help out VW at some point and with the current refugee crisis, it will get much more difficult. Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Germany. Smiley Smiley 

As an example: Right now, my kids have to go to do sports in school outside in the "fresh air" (3°C in the morning) because their school sports facility is occupied with refugees. Both of my kids got a cold because of that, many other kids as well. Of course this is not the same as fleeing war Smiley but you get the picture here and why many many Germans started to be worried about the many refugees coming to Germany. This affects the whole German economy and many other parts of daily life.

Oh really? Then you should get the Noble Prize for Medicine because so far, nobody knows exactly why people get the common cold when they get it. This is no joke. Smiley There are over 100 different rhinoviruses but it hasn't been established yet, why people get the cold when they are getting it.

From our experience as a doctor and a pharmacist/doctor and of course what we learned from our parents, it is a good idea to keep you warm when you are outside in the cold. Even worse, when you sweat outside in the cold and you do not cover the sweaty parts with something (kids run around and then pause for a couple of minutes, most of them don't have bonnets or gloves or towels with them).

The thing is: Many germs are often already in your nose, in your throat and so on but a healthy immune system usually fights them off easily. If the immune system however is compromised, by having to deal with various "other" issues, then it cannot fight off the germs effectively. Also, there are some studies who are following the theory that colder temperatures actually favor the replication of rhinoviruses.

Bottom line is: This is why school kids usually have a sports facility inside a building and they are going only outside when it is necessary or when the weather permits. Doing school sports at 3°C outside is not good for them, especially when they get totally sweaty and then stay around for a couple of minutes. This has nothing to do with fresh air.

The cold air in Switzerland may have damaged some of your common sense along the stay. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Whoopsy:

Does VAG needs 2 brands to compete in endurance racing? I have to imagine Audi's racing program would be the first one getting reviewed, unless Piech fought his way back into power, then Porsche might have to pull out. 

No worry about racing programs of Audi and Porsche. For VW competition between Porsche and Audi is nice. Both are competitive teams, so VW is in win win here. Also consider that Porsche promotes best petrol hybrid technologies, audi promotes best diesel hybrid tech.

--

sportcars-history.com

When it comes to saving money, all bets are off and all possibilities are on the table. Motorsports gets a lot of criticism here from ordinary people and I can imagine that at some stage, VW will question their motorsport activities as well. Just wait and see. Nothing is off the table as far as I heard.

Since the German government is mostly interested in saving jobs, VW will be "forced" to do everything possible to reduce cost but to keep jobs. This is going to be interesting.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

LOL! Thanks for the detailed summary on the common cold. I had expected that. If the stock market was as  predictable I would be rich now indecision wink

You know that I was not wrong with my statement nor are you wrong.

It is a myth that you catch the common cold from exposure to cold weather. The weather is a risk factor for a weakend immune system, but the cause is an infection in the upper respiratory tract from one of over 200 viruses. There is no Nobel Prize to win for this fact.

What I find most interesting is that the reason why colds are more common in the fall and winter is mostly due to factors such as the start of the school year and the tendency for people to remain indoors.

--

bluelines:

LOL! Thanks for the detailed summary on the common cold. I had expected that. If the stock market was as  predictable I would be rich now indecision wink

It is a myth that you catch the common cold from exposure to cold weather. The weather is a risk factor for a weakend immune system, but the cause is an infection in the upper respiratory tract from one of over 200 viruses. There is no Nobel Prize to win for this fact.

What I find most interesting is that the reason why colds are more common in the fall and winter is mostly due to factors such as the start of the school year and the tendency for people to remain indoors.

Absolutely correct!

bluelines:

This is not a scientific conclusion but similar to my claim, a guess.

It is not a myth that you can catch a common cold from exposure to cold weather and scientists all over the world are trying to establish why that is or why people actually get a cold (as weird as this may sound). Like I said before, there are some promising studies which indicate that rhinoviruses replicate much better and faster at certain (colder) temperatures. No final proof has been established yet (as far as I heard only in some early animal trials).

Btw: I didn't know you're a doctor? Smiley Oh wait, forgot the internet generation doctor which replaces over a decade in actually doing medical school and over 25 years of experience with patients with five minutes googling the internet. Smiley Smiley Don't worry, me and my wife have to deal with these kind of patients almost every day. It is fun. 

--

RC:
    bluelines:

It is not a myth that you can catch a common cold from exposure to cold weather and scientists all over the world are trying to establish why that is or why people actually get a cold (as weird as this may sound). Like I said before, there are some promising studies which indicate that rhinoviruses replicate much better and faster at certain (colder) temperatures. No final proof has been established yet (as far as I heard only in some early animal trials).

Btw: I didn't know you're a doctor? Smiley Oh wait, forgot the internet generation doctor which replaces over a decade in actually doing medical school and over 25 years of experience with patients with five minutes googling the internet. Smiley Smiley Don't worry, me and my wife have to deal with these kind of patients almost every day. It is fun. 

Yes, I must admit that you caught me out on the Internet research on the flu topic. To my defence I must say that I only consulted respected hospital websites which I assumed could be trusted. In hindsight they are probably wrong though and I will point out this thread to them to correct their public information.

No, I am certainly no expert, unlike the swift-developer-day-trader-automotive-engineer-politician-racedriver-martial-arts-superhero which I have the pleasure to articulate myself with here. Your business card must be huge to cover all the professions in which you have acquired all this expertise, since God forbid if you ever got it through Internet research...

I don't worry. I deal with Besserwissers every day. It is fun too Smiley

PS. The Internet is spelled with a capital "I" since it is a proper noun Smiley

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

Yes, I must admit that you caught me out on the Internet research on the flu topic. To my defence I must say that I only consulted respected hospital websites which I assumed could be trusted. In hindsight they are probably wrong though and I will point out this thread to them to correct their public information.

No, I am certainly no expert, unlike the swift-developer-day-trader-automotive-engineer-politician-racedriver-martial-arts-superhero which I have the pleasure to articulate myself with here. Your business card must be huge to cover all the professions in which you have acquired all this expertise, since God forbid if you ever got it through Internet research...

Now you are a Internet grammar teacher Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

But unfortunately getting a little mixed up between German grammar, which calls for capitalisation of proper nouns, and English grammar, which does not.   SmileySmiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Whoopsy:
    bluelines:
    RC:
    bluelines:

But unfortunately getting a little mixed up between German grammar, which calls for capitalisation of proper nouns, and English grammar, which does not.   SmileySmiley

It's the Internet age, details doesn't carry much weight Smiley

--

fritz:

Well, I would not want to speak regarding English English grammar, but American English grammar does call for the capitalization of proper nouns.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689646 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409293 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255778 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235008 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65533 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858055 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774096 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM