Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

bluelines:

http://gtspirit.com/2015/10/04/10-injured-after-porsche-918-spyder-crashes-into-crowd-in-malta/

Indeed Paul Bailey's car. The article says one wheel touched the grass and this caused the car to spin.

Very tragic for everyone involved enlightened

It is insane to put up such a tiny fence between high speeding cars and a group of spectators. If anything goes wrong it will go horrible wrong... and it did surprise

He was the one behind the wheel Smiley some sites claim it was a pro driver  Smiley

With the updated software, it will become even deadlier when it comes to traction loss with 1,280 Nm. That's almost twice the torque of an F12 Smiley

I wonder who will take the blame this time ? driver ? ps cup 2 ? grass ? or perhaps porsche, for releasing a machine which was designed to take out over a dozen of people with hardly any safety features ? awd never worked as one of the witnesses would "claim" and saw a flashing light on the electric motor beeping for a quick recharge before it switched to 2wd mode Smileythe last part is something you usually hear when they want to take P to court Smiley

That red one is...erm...quite a colour choice.

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

bridggar:

That red one is...erm...quite a colour choice.

It actually looks quite interesting...with the black wheels almost perfect. I'm usually not a fan of this color.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

This question is a bit awkward but will we ever see the release of the comparison video between the 918, LaF and P1 given what has happened here to the same 918 that featured in that comparison? This is especially the case if someone dies from this incident. It would almost be in bad taste. 

WAY:

This question is a bit awkward but will we ever see the release of the comparison video between the 918, LaF and P1 given what has happened here to the same 918 that featured in that comparison? This is especially the case if someone dies from this incident. It would almost be in bad taste. 

I thought the same and really hope to release the results, because they are very, very interesting…Smiley

The good news from today is that all the injured people are recovering, including the little child.

Let’s hope for fast recovery for everyone, who was injured in that awful accident. 

Whoopsy:

Well, one of our fellow 918 owners updated his car and did some runs at Road America. He hit 181mph at the end of the front straight before going into turn 1. 

I have never driven or even been on that track, so I have no reference. Maybe some experienced fellows can chime in. 

All I know is the front straight is around 3/4 mile in length and turn 14 heading into the straight is a 200' radius turn, turn 1 that follows is a 348' radius turn. Maybe some geeks here can whip out a calculator and do some math :)

That is fast. In a regular 911, I reached close to 130. But going into turn one (which if recall correctly been over 10 years) is a left 60 degree he must had sat on the brakes to make the turn.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Great that nobody died in this accident.

--

J.Seven

A vintage formula Atlantic will do about 160-165 and I know the Benneton F1 car that runs in HSR will just go past 200. I would get close to redline with my regular gearbox in the yellow car so call it high 150s.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Thanks for the speed references. @Nick, turn 14 is a right turn and turn 1 is also a right both of them are more or less 90 degree.

Anyway, back to some 918 content.

The day I arrived at Monterey for Rennsport Reunion, Porsche sent out invites to a 918 owner event in Finland, driving 918s on snow and ice. Had planned to attend and bring my oldest son, but didn't have his holiday schedule so waited until I got back to sign up. When I finally got around to it it was filled. Bummer. So I email them back asking to be on the wait list. Just now they confirmed that I am in. So looking forward to next March.

918_Spyder_Circle_Ice-Force_North_Cape.pdf

--

Whoopsy:

Thanks for the speed references. @Nick, turn 14 is a right turn and turn 1 is also a right both of them are more or less 90 degree.

Anyway, back to some 918 content.

The day I arrived at Monterey for Rennsport Reunion, Porsche sent out invites to a 918 owner event in Finland, driving 918s on snow and ice. Had planned to attend and bring my oldest son, but didn't have his holiday schedule so waited until I got back to sign up. When I finally got around to it it was filled. Bummer. So I email them back asking to be on the wait list. Just now they confirmed that I am in. So looking forward to next March.

918_Spyder_Circle_Ice-Force_North_Cape.pdf

Sorry I am confusing it with Willow Springs. At the first Porsche driving school I was getting the 911 close to 145mph in the back straight. When I rode with Hurley Haywood he was closer to 150 but waited much longer before braking going into the turn.

Great to hear about the Finland event. Porsche provides the 918's?

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Yup, going be driving their prototypes. 

Difference between pro racers and us amateurs mostly are from the braking part. They brake harder and later, we brake early and light then harder later, completely opposite to them. 

--

You are going to have a blast in Finland. I once raced with an Italian guy who does the instruction for P on their 911 winter program and saw some pictures. He literally fell asleep with a big grin on his face. 

918 in Finland is going to be a blast Nick! Enjoy yourself. I assume it's mainly going to be like Camp 4 with 918 on final day? Sorry can't open your PDF so couldn't see the details. I was supposed to do Camp 4 a few years back, but due to unforeseen circumstances I had to cancel it. Till this day I've not had the opportunity to go back despite having been in Helsinki for two weeks in the last winter! So close yet so far away. 

Yup it's like Camp4 but we gets 2 days of blasting around in 918s, and 1 day doing dogsled and snow mobile.

--

Whoopsy:

Yup it's like Camp4 but we gets 2 days of blasting around in 918s, and 1 day doing dogsled and snow mobile.

I suppose you are taking a camera with you? Smiley

Usually, I hate winters and cold weather but this sounds like real fun. Enjoy. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    Whoopsy:

Usually, I hate winters and cold weather but this sounds like real fun. Enjoy. Smiley

Dress warm so you don't catch a cold Smiley

On a more serious note, yes please take a camera with you and post lots of pics Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Whoopsy:

Very very cool! Pardon the punt lol. Enjoy Nick!

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but here is the Paul Bailey crash caught on video. He was going far far too quickly to me! 

https://youtu.be/hkOaRsOxDT0

Haha yes of course I will be bringing a camera, but need to get one that functions at really cold temperature. Might also bring my GoPro too, which I will bring with me when I head to the 918 event in Paul Ricard later this month.

--

WAY:

Not sure if you guys have seen this, but here is the Paul Bailey crash caught on video. He was going far far too quickly to me! 

I saw this and I will refrain from judging but he basically didn't do anything to (re)gain control of the car. Smiley Smiley Based on this realization, I think he should have kept the speed down. He clearly was over his head here. Does he even know what a brake is? Smiley

I still wonder how he actually lost control and I also wonder why he turned off (I assume) PSM when he was driving with a passenger. Smiley You don't need to turn off PSM for these kind of events.

Anyway, luckily nobody died or was seriously hurt, especially that kid seems to be OK, thanks god.

--

WAY:

It was clearly a drivers error, glad nobody lost their life.

--

J.Seven

RC:
    WAY:

I saw this and I will refrain from judging but he basically didn't do anything to (re)gain control of the car. Smiley Smiley Based on this realization, I think he should have kept the speed down. He clearly was over his head here. Does he even know what a brake is? Smiley

I still wonder how he actually lost control and I also wonder why he turned off (I assume) PSM when he was driving with a passenger. Smiley You don't need to turn off PSM for these kind of events.

Anyway, luckily nobody died or was seriously hurt, especially that kid seems to be OK, thanks god.

Can't tell from the videos I've seen, but I suspect that he might not have warmed up his tyres before negotiating that "chicane". Giving a lot of throttle and a little steering lock could then do it, even on road tyres. 

--

fritz

So what happened to his brake? broken heart angry

--

The grass excursion right before doesn't help either.

The 918 is a very high power car, while some say it's the easiest to drive among the 3, I actually think's it's the reverse, it is the hardest to control nearer to the limit just because it's limits is that much higher. The other 2 are RWD, doesn't takes much to break traction in the rear, and people knows that and drives them 'safer' accordingly. The 4wd in the 918 on the other hand sticks so well initially that people thinks they are invincible in it. 

--

RC:

Nothing. He didn't used them. Could be either he froze, or think he could save the spin. He did a few runs before without incidents, but this last time he went a bit too wide going around the barrier, touched the grass and game over.

--

bluelines:
    RC:
    Whoopsy:

Dress warm so you don't catch a cold Smiley

On a more serious note, yes please take a camera with you and post lots of pics Smiley

Your sarcasm and wit are priceless. Smiley

RC:

Wasn't fully charged ? Smiley

Whoopsy:

Well, one of our fellow 918 owners updated his car and did some runs at Road America. He hit 181mph at the end of the front straight before going into turn 1. 

I have never driven or even been on that track, so I have no reference. Maybe some experienced fellows can chime in. 

All I know is the front straight is around 3/4 mile in length and turn 14 heading into the straight is a 200' radius turn, turn 1 that follows is a 348' radius turn. Maybe some geeks here can whip out a calculator and do some math :)

I did some internet surfing to see if I could find out any comparables (I know - I have no life).  I found this track analysis on the link below.  It has speed trap information for various classes of race cars - they were trapping at between 160mph for GTD class to 175mph for the prototype class.

http://nasportscar.com/bens-analysis-road-america/

Welcome Westview!

Nice first post.

Westview:
    Whoopsy:

I did some internet surfing to see if I could find out any comparables (I know - I have no life).  I found this track analysis on the link below.  It has speed trap information for various classes of race cars - they were trapping at between 160mph for GTD class to 175mph for the prototype class.

http://nasportscar.com/bens-analysis-road-america/

Warm welcome to a fellow Canadian here :)

Thanks for the effort but just 1 little detail, those speed trap speeds are from between T4 an T5, and I was talking about speed at the end of the front straight before T1.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755708 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431768 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258906 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255990 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79983 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869042 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803176 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM