Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide - USA Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Is Bugatti's Continued Existance in Doubt ??

VW has just stated that the Emissions Cheating Scandal is a "Threat to Our Existence".  There are already rumors of significant cutbacks in R&D to fund the inevitable fines & penalties.

Given this crisis, can VW continue to fund the Bugatti brand??   Its well known that Bugatti loses $Millions on every car sold.  It seems that Bugatti would be the first place the VW corporate bean counters would look to cut unnecessary expenses.

What do you all think ?

Re: Is Bugatti's Continued Existance in Doubt ??

I foresee that the German federal government will have to step in in order to save VW as the direct and indirect costs of this scandal will keep escalating and they will be huge. Inevitably, there is bound to be brand rationalization and model rationalization within each of the remaining brands.

What is the benefit of having Bugatti, Bentley and Lamborghini, not to mention SEAT and more recently Ducati?

VW group could be doing very well with VW, Skoda, Audi and Porsche and with those they could cover all the bases.

--

"Form follows function"

I could see the Tata group being willing to take some of these brands off VW's hands.... of course when you are a distress seller (in not-so-robust world markets), the price is not going to be the best.   

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I think VW invested a lot on some of these brands to just sell them off. 

hmm I wonder how VW will cover all this. There is no fix possible to the cars. They tried in the past and their emissions still failed (at reduced power etc..). So this will be an interesting development. I don't think the VW Group will cancel projects already under way such as the new Bugatti since they already put $$ into that. 

Most likely it seems that the government will provide some aid.. you know "too big to fail" the American way indecision

I hear that VW might pull out of North America altogether but I can't imagine that will actually happen. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

The German government will do everything in their power to "protect" VW. Do not forget how many people are directly working for VW and it's brands, not even talking about the suppliers and others involved with VW.

No matter how much this scandal costs, VW will survive and in the worst case scenario, the German tax payer will pay the bill. 

Yes, it is possible that some sacrifices will be made, Bugatti could be one of them indeed (if the media starts to discuss this as a possibility and politicians enter this "game" as well) but I rather suspect that the German government won't get involved with details, they will leave them to the current (new) leadership. Unless the new leadership messes up things further. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

The German government will do everything in their power to "protect" VW. Do not forget how many people are directly working for VW and it's brands, not even talking about the suppliers and others involved with VW.

No matter how much this scandal costs, VW will survive and in the worst case scenario, the German tax payer will pay the bill. 

Yes, it is possible that some sacrifices will be made, Bugatti could be one of them indeed (if the media starts to discuss this as a possibility and politicians enter this "game" as well) but I rather suspect that the German government won't get involved with details, they will leave them to the current (new) leadership. Unless the new leadership messes up things further. Smiley

It will depend on how much money the federal government will have to put in. If we shall be talking about a complete bail-out the government (and most of all the taxpayers)  will demand shareholding and control.

If and when things normalize the state can sell its shareholding and even make a profit on behalf of the taxpayers. This formula has worked very well with financials institutions in the USA and the UK after the 2008 banking crisis.

Anyway the cost is expected to be huge.

"Volkswagen AG’s designated Chairman Hans Dieter Poetsch warned managers that the diesel-emissions scandal could pose “an existence-threatening crisis for the company,” as it pleaded for public trust with full-page ads in national newspapers."

--

"Form follows function"

Of course this crisis is existence-threatening. Have you seen the stock value today? Some analysts, incl. one from Credit Suisse, have given the stock a target price of 82 EUR. Ouch. Actually, I think the stock may hit even lower values at some point, especially when it will be clear how many law suits will and have already hit them (VW).

This is a disaster of biblical proportions in my opinion and VW could take other brands like Porsche but also suppliers (Bosch, etc.) down with them. VW is a high volume brand. Even if they order only 10% less parts with suppliers, many suppliers may actually not be able to survive anymore. This is horrible.

On the other hand, it seems that consumers in Germany aren't really avoiding VW, so maybe there is hope that while VW might suffer many legal issues and legal payments, the customers (and potential customers) won't be that angry as initially anticipated. Time will tell...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

On the other hand, it seems that consumers in Germany aren't really avoiding VW, so maybe there is hope that while VW might suffer many legal issues and legal payments, the customers (and potential customers) won't be that angry as initially anticipated. Time will tell...

Actually many people consider this affair as another Great American plot to destabilize someone somewhere and consequently they are sympathetic towards VW Smiley

Besides very few of those who enjoy the benefits of diesel fuel worldwide have been convinced that NOx from private diesel cars is the leading cause of death and disease on the planet, like the EPA tries to cause us to believe.

Personally I am still a VW Group fan Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    RC:

Actually many people consider this affair as another Great American plot to destabilize someone somewhere and consequently they are sympathetic towards VW Smiley

Besides very few of those who enjoy the benefits of diesel fuel worldwide have been convinced that NOx from private diesel cars is the leading cause of death and disease on the planet, like the EPA tries to cause us to believe.

If the legislators were to be consistent in their quest to reduce air pollution, they would have had to close all coal-fired electricity generating stations long before now, but industry lobbies and the absence of rational long-term planning of infrastructure projects has instead led to the usual fudged solutions. 

This does not alter the fact that in this particular instance a small number of people, who really should have known better, were dumb enough to think that they could get away with it if they solved a problem they had by consciously and deliberately breaking the law. The outcome is that a very large number of people are now going to have pay a great deal in various, different ways for the fact that the initial problem was not confronted as it should have been. 

--

fritz

reginos:
    RC:

In Germany, there is a strong belief in the population that this is the case, unbelievable. 

Germans are currently overwhelmed with the NSA affair, Greece, the Russia sanctions and now the refugee crisis. They are now very susceptible to urban legends, misinformation and propaganda (it is no secret that Russia has a "troll factory", targeting specifically Merkel and Germany right now, to undermine Merkel's authority and to make the US look as bad as possible, something apparently neither Merkel nor the US intelligence community seem eager to actually fight, which is a huge mistake) and the sympathy towards the US has decreased steadily over the past couple of years and is getting to new lows with the current VW crisis because many Germans apparently do not understand how their small Golf Diesel is a a heavy polluter but a V8 monster truck isn't (many people don't have much of a clue about CO2 and NOx and the details, so...). I get that, it isn't easy to understand because for years, people have been told that their Diesel cars are clean.

I think that German politicians (and maybe the media as well) are a bit too occupied and overwhelmed with all the headlines, so they kind of neglected to inform the public and to educate them. 

I am very worried with the next elections because right wing and left wing parties will certainly profit from that. 

--

GT-Boy:

VW has just stated that the Emissions Cheating Scandal is a "Threat to Our Existence".  There are already rumors of significant cutbacks in R&D to fund the inevitable fines & penalties.

Given this crisis, can VW continue to fund the Bugatti brand??   Its well known that Bugatti loses $Millions on every car sold.  It seems that Bugatti would be the first place the VW corporate bean counters would look to cut unnecessary expenses.

What do you all think ?

Especially today they have to maintain it. It is a brilliant brand to sell away. And yes... there are many other manufactures I could see buying Bugatti of VW. 

Merkel could slip on a banana peel and Germans would blame the CIA, that's the state of things now.

palenimbus:

Merkel could slip on a banana peel and Germans would blame the CIA, that's the state of things now.

Sad but true. Smiley

--

When everyone knows that a banana peel has DIA written all over it.

Merkel is a disaster. Not only does she invite waves of refugees and illegal immigrants without first consulting the oth er countries it impacts, she now oafs through the pr and financial vw disaster by not focusing blame on certain execs instead of the company at large. She is her own banana peel. 

z

Please let's not turn this thread into another political discussion. Not all of us Come here to talk politics. Thx 

koko:

Please let's not turn this thread into another political discussion. Not all of us Come here to talk politics. Thx 

I'm afraid Volkswagen's future is as political as it can get, believe it or not... Smiley

VW is not your ordinary car manufacturer, VW is the German industry and VW is heavily connected to the German government on various levels. 

So far, Germany has been known as the country of a great industry and morale. Now everything has changed. This affects Germany to it's deepest core, politically and socially. Many non-Germans may not actually realize it.

If you think that the whole VW scandal has nothing to do with politics, wait until the German government actually wakes up. So far, they are still under shock but at some point, they will recover and start working on recovering German credibility and of course trying to keep VW alive.

I kind of get the feeling that TTIP will be a bargaining chip in this case, forcing the US to step back a notch, to avoid destroying or even only heavily damaging VW in the process. In exchange, Germany may actually get closer to signing TTIP but of course this is just a guess since not only Germany is involved in the negotiations but also the rest of the EU.

Interesting times ahead for VW but also for the German government who needs to protect VW at any cost, simply because VW is too big to fail and if it fails, it would be a national tragedy. Not going to happen.

--

RC:

... forcing the US to step back a notch, to avoid destroying or even only heavily damaging VW in the process. ...

I hope this is what will happen, because nothing would be gained and a lot lost for the West, including the US, economically, were VW to be maimed by this. I think they can make the statement they need to to "punish" them and deter future cheating (although, the best way to do this is to make cheating harder) in the future without causing irreparable damage.

It if hits 80 EUR I will buy some stock broken heart

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

It if hits 80 EUR I will buy some stock broken heart

Are you sure you want to do that? So far, nobody knows how bad VW will be hit and how long it will take to recover.

I would be very careful, personally I would stay away from this stock but to each his own.

--

RC:
    koko:

I'm afraid Volkswagen's future is as political as it can get, believe it or not... Smiley

VW is not your ordinary car manufacturer, VW is the German industry and VW is heavily connected to the German government on various levels. 

So far, Germany has been known as the country of a great industry and morale. Now everything has changed. This affects Germany to it's deepest core, politically and socially. Many non-Germans may not actually realize it.

If you think that the whole VW scandal has nothing to do with politics, wait until the German government actually wakes up. So far, they are still under shock but at some point, they will recover and start working on recovering German credibility and of course trying to keep VW alive.

I kind of get the feeling that TTIP will be a bargaining chip in this case, forcing the US to step back a notch, to avoid destroying or even only heavily damaging VW in the process. In exchange, Germany may actually get closer to signing TTIP but of course this is just a guess since not only Germany is involved in the negotiations but also the rest of the EU.

Interesting times ahead for VW but also for the German government who needs to protect VW at any cost, simply because VW is too big to fail and if it fails, it would be a national tragedy. Not going to happen.

What does VW got to do with the immigration crises ?. 

koko:
    RC:
    koko:

You are kidding, right? The German government will have to help out VW at some point and with the current refugee crisis, it will get much more difficult. Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Germany. Smiley Smiley 

As an example: Right now, my kids have to go to do sports in school outside in the "fresh air" (3°C in the morning) because their school sports facility is occupied with refugees. Both of my kids got a cold because of that, many other kids as well. Of course this is not the same as fleeing war Smiley but you get the picture here and why many many Germans started to be worried about the many refugees coming to Germany. This affects the whole German economy and many other parts of daily life.

--

Crises or not VW will be bailed out regardless of what's going on.

anyway, this's  getting too political for my taste.

RC:
    koko:
    RC:
    koko:

You are kidding, right? The German government will have to help out VW at some point and with the current refugee crisis, it will get much more difficult. Money doesn't grow on trees, not even in Germany. Smiley Smiley 

As an example: Right now, my kids have to go to do sports in school outside in the "fresh air" (3°C in the morning) because their school sports facility is occupied with refugees. Both of my kids got a cold because of that, many other kids as well. Of course this is not the same as fleeing war Smiley but you get the picture here and why many many Germans started to be worried about the many refugees coming to Germany. This affects the whole German economy and many other parts of daily life.

Angela Merkel was inviting these people a few weeks ago and blaming Hungary, Slovakia and Croatia who didn't want them Smiley

Anyway the refugee/immigrant crisis is a  very convoluted issue as on a humanitarian basis no one can sink their boats before they reach land  and no one can shoot them before they enter the borders. These actions would have been beyond evil. The long term solution is to help stabilize their countries so that they have no motive or excuse to come.

--

"Form follows function"

koko:

Yes but the money has to come from somewhere, doesn't it? Smiley

Actually, shouldn't the UAE take in these (majorly muslim) refugees and provide shelter? Smiley

If you tell me now, that you have enough refugees (claims from officials in the UAE, same in Saudi Arabia), ask the UNHCR. According to them, there is only a handful recognized refugees in the UAE, which is ridiculous. Even less in Saudi Arabia.

Too political? Well, maybe I'm adding more to the mix: One UAE politician (foreign minister?) apparently claimed that one reason the UAE doesn't want to accept refugees from Syria is because there are cultural differences (oh well, I guess the cultural differences are not that high in Europe Smiley) and also these refugees are traumatized and could pose a danger (oh well, no danger for Europe, right?!).

As you can see...everything is related to politics and money and VW is no exception. If VW needs financial help from the government, this means jobs are at risk. If jobs are at risk, some jobs will go away. If jobs go away, refugees won't find a job and even worse, they job market will get smaller and the jobless rate will raise.

Everything is related...industry, money, government, politics. You cannot ignore this, sorry. Unless you basically live on an isolated island. Oh wait...I forgot. Smiley No offense meant but this is the reality.

--

Sorry my friend I don't talk politics 

u guys have fun doing it. I guess I'll just stick to the Car stuff  : )

RC:
    koko:

Yes but the money has to come from somewhere, doesn't it? Smiley

Actually, shouldn't the UAE take in these (majorly muslim) refugees and provide shelter? Smiley

If you tell me now, that you have enough refugees (claims from officials in the UAE, same in Saudi Arabia), ask the UNHCR. According to them, there is only a handful recognized refugees in the UAE, which is ridiculous. Even less in Saudi Arabia.

Too political? Well, maybe I'm adding more to the mix: One UAE politician (foreign minister?) apparently claimed that one reason the UAE doesn't want to accept refugees from Syria is because there are cultural differences (oh well, I guess the cultural differences are not that high in Europe Smiley) and also these refugees are traumatized and could pose a danger (oh well, no danger for Europe, right?!).

As you can see...everything is related to politics and money and VW is no exception. If VW needs financial help from the government, this means jobs are at risk. If jobs are at risk, some jobs will go away. If jobs go away, refugees won't find a job and even worse, they job market will get smaller and the jobless rate will raise.

Everything is related...industry, money, government, politics. You cannot ignore this, sorry. Unless you basically live on an isolated island. Oh wait...I forgot. Smiley No offense meant but this is the reality.

As someone from and who just moved back to the Middle East, I want to call nothing but bullshit on the way leaders in this part of the world are handling the migrant crisis.

For starters, I was raised around the world. I spent many years of my life in different European countries, cities, schools and educational systems and take frequent trips to Europe every year. I feel more culturally connected to Europe and North America than I do to the Middle East and were it not for my passport which lumps me into the Arab box, I wouldn't even be mentally or emotionally bound to the area.

Our leaders have nothing but words and pledges. Blah blah blah brotherhood, Arab identity this, Muslim support that - and it's all a pack of steaming lies. Yes, money may have been set aside but with all these people fleeing with the shirts on their backs, what's some well-publicized headline about millions of dollars pledged by royals and figureheads to mean to these people? Saudi Arabia eats up almost all the Arabian Peninsula; are you telling me that somewhere in the sand, they can't build a few fast-tracked compounds or towns using trailers or whatever else to house the migrants? Logistically, it keeps them closer to home should they need to go back, their culture is dramatically more similar to the area than it is to Western culture, language barriers shouldn't be an issue... So why not?

Remember that little Syrian boy who was found face-down in the surf? I saw a political cartoon published in some Middle Eastern newspaper [probably Lebanese] where it showed the drowned boy and around him, greyed-out figures of Arab sheikhs in their headdresses asking if the boy is Sunni or Shia. As someone who only discovered the difference at the age of 20 when I moved back to the Middle East, I can only attest to the ridiculous amount of emphasis that is given to this sectarian stratification, where Shia are commonly viewed as heretic degenerates by the Sunni or as impostor Arabs due to the fact that many of them come from Iranian ancestry.

It's a load of steaming shit. There are so many problems in this world and if people wouldn't squabble over things that should otherwise not matter, we wouldn't be in half the wars, conflicts or issues we're currently in.

rulesdontapply

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

koko:

Sorry my friend I don't talk politics 

u guys have fun doing it. I guess I'll just stick to the Car stuff  : )

Don't worry, there are others like you... Smiley

head-in-the-loam.jpg

--

I agree wholeheartedly with Rulesdontapply and his views on the utterly unacceptable stance taken by Arab countries in the Gulf region! 

The US and the EU should organize a joint mission to the rulers of the region and put a ton of pressure on them (to put it mildly...) to start pulling their weight in this crisis, which they have contributed to greatly themselves by fostering extremist groups inside Syria.

It is all part, of course, of the great regonal rivalry with Iran, and the battlegrounds are Syria, Iraq and Yemen. It is about time that the leading powers put an end to this.  

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689871 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409397 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255814 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235051 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65570 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4650 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858149 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774247 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM