Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

He's lucky he was still alive when he got there.

Model S 2.0 review by Matt Farah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slvgVpVCm1U

I like what one of the commenters wrote: 

Bit disappointed you didn't really talk about how fun or more specifically how little fun it actually is driving a Tesla fast on a canyon road. I like Teslas and it's incredible what they have achieved in a short time, but Tesla fanboys love comparing it to the M5, RS7 etc. And when you are comparing it to them, it's just not fun to drive! Tesla's are great for everyday driving, but you would never take it for a canyon drive on a Sunday just for fun.

Exactly my point. kiss 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

No way, would I trust auto-pilot, driving through those canyon roads. Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

I agree, I too have major trust issues when it comes to any kind of autonomous driving system. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Interstate 70 across Kansas would make autopilot very tempting.

Gladstone:
    Interstate 70 across Kansas would make aircraft autopilot very tempting.

Fixed that for you. They don't call them "flyover states" for nothing.  Smiley

--

fritz

Gladstone:
    Interstate 70 across Kansas would make autopilot very tempting.

but not across Colorado on a busy sunday Smiley

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

SoCal Alan:

and why would one ever consider... that road is a dream! I will drive a model X this weekend, let's see how it feels. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Tesla Model S Hits Barrier With Autopilot ON

Just as things were beginning to quiet down regarding Tesla's Autopilot system and its alleged faults, this incident could add a bit more fuel to the fire.

The images were posted on reddit a few days back and according to the driver/owner of the vehicle, the car simply hit the barrier while Autopilot was in command, resulting in both the steering wheel airbag and foot area airbag going off.

This is what the driver had to say:  

"So I was driving in the left lane of a two lane highway. The car is AP1 and I've never had any problems until today. Autopilot was on didn't give me a warning. It misread the road and hit the barrier. After the airbags deployed there was a bunch of smoke and my car rolled to a grinding stop. Thankfully no one was hurt and I walked away with only bruises."

However, the car driving behind him had a dashcam and managed to capture the entire accident, revealing that right before the incident occurred, the driver failed to take control despite several warning signs indicating that there was a lane shift coming up.

In defense of the first-gen Autopilot system, those lane markings (yellow line especially) led directly into the barrier, which is very dangerous for a car designed to follow said markings.

What are your thoughts on this incident?

The autopilot should be outlawed, it clearly not ready... and the fact that drivers who use it seem to shut down their brain when autopilot in ON does not help...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Dumb driver

Some people set examples in a good way and others do it in a different way. Autopilot will never be idiot proof. The idiots are much too clever to let that happen.

I don'T get that people are relying too much on their assistants. 

I love love love the Pilot-Assist on my Volvo as well as on the Mercedes. Having the car helping you steering really makes long trips pleasant. BUT - I would never rely on it 100%. I know exactly what the system is capable of. Also - the system would switch off in such a situation, not going to support you. I don't know why Tesla is going a different way and promises that it can master such situations?

You must be either arrogant, a fool or a total stupid to rely on this cars assist system. Also - I don't like to have a system like the Tesla on the same street I'm driving on. They should ban it!

My wife's Cayenne S Diesel has ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). I used it a couple of times and will probably never use it again. Sorry, just not my thing. Actually, it is pretty annoying. I prefer a simple cruise control and everything else, I leave to...me. I like being in control, will never get a car with Autopilot, sorry.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

My wife's Cayenne S Diesel has ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control). I used it a couple of times and will probably never use it again. Sorry, just not my thing. Actually, it is pretty annoying. I prefer a simple cruise control and everything else, I leave to...me. I like being in control, will never get a car with Autopilot, sorry.

The ACC is IMO a very good thing, I know it from BMW and Mercedes and I really like it on the highway. You have to get used to it though but after a while, driving with ACC is very relaxed kiss

Josef:
    RC:

The ACC is IMO a very good thing, I know it from BMW and Mercedes and I really like it on the highway. You have to get used to it though but after a while, driving with ACC is very relaxed kiss

I use it every Friday when leaving at the end of the day to get to the mountains , and again on Sunday , when coming back . Loads of jams, dark, people driving impatiently, boring , boring boring . ACC was very strange but actually in those stop and go traffic it is very helpful and relaxing . BUT, I always stay alert, and my right foot is always ready to take control again if anything is not right 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Training is a big issue and it is virtually nonexistent for most automobile users.  Aviation suffered through the transition period when engineers started to realize the issues with "man-in-the-loop" when the autopilot hands back control to the pilot when the plane is barely flying.  These issues and the resulting crashes happened with highly trained professionals.  Now it is being foisted on drivers with the bare minimum of driving skills.  

I have used ACC for at least 40,000km. I got scared and hit the brakes only twice, and might have been OK if I didn't but didn't risk it. For people with boring réplétive drives with traffic, it is a must.

Autopilots are not ready. That's one of the main reason I didn't get a Tesla, because I would have used it extensively but at too much risk.

SciFrog:

I have used ACC for at least 40,000km. I got scared and hit the brakes only twice, and might have been OK if I didn't but didn't risk it. For people with boring réplétive drives with traffic, it is a must.

Autopilots are not ready. That's one of the main reason I didn't get a Tesla, because I would have used it extensively but at too much risk.

It can become very comforting when used under most circumstances.  However, with varying road conditions, notice that there are a multitude of intersection lines in that video, the system failed to identify its proper trajectory, instead continuing straight and into the jersey barrier.  

RC:

I am exactly the same, however I don't live in an area where I have many hours in repetitive commutes on freeways... maybe I would feel different if I did.  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Given how many "AutoPilot" equipped Tesla there is out there on our roads (200k or so) it is quite a good verdict that there are not more accidents reported caused by the AP. Of course every opportunity will be taken to bash the Autopilot when there is an accident and all Tesla haters get their fix.

Why not instead focus on how many accidents that has been saved due to the nannies in Teslas and other cars equipped with radars, cameras and sensors. That are probably many many more than where the Autopilot was the root cause for the accident. Full autonomy is far out, but it is a great development with all the semi autonomous systems and Tesla is currently one of the leaders in this domain together with Mercedes.

I have used autopilot quite often now in my wife's model x. It def takes some stress off from driving on highways. Only once did I feel uncomfortable and took over. You def can't just switch off your brain with it on but it's fairly impressive. 

--

Tesla Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2014 991 TTS Cab & 2014 BMW X5 & 2014 BMW i3 2017 - Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

RC:

Budy - you are just not often enough in long distance business trips. If you have to go from A to B for 3 hours on a Monday morning, that's the way to go. The time I did Autobahn racing on my business trips is over for a long time. Different if I want to enjoy the car for a 1 hour trip or so. 

Lars997:
    RC:

Budy - you are just not often enough in long distance business trips. If you have to go from A to B for 3 hours on a Monday morning, that's the way to go. The time I did Autobahn racing on my business trips is over for a long time. Different if I want to enjoy the car for a 1 hour trip or so. 

I really wanted to give it a chance. I sometimes do some very long trips, up to 1800 km even Smiley... but ACC sucks, I just like to be in control. The most relaxing thing for me is...me driving. Smiley

The only time I would probably want to have ACC is in Florida when I travel from Orlando to Miami on Florida's Turnpike. Oh boy is that way boring and dull...my eyes always want to close. Smiley Same goes to the last part of the way from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. Over 40 miles or so only straight and nothing to see. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Model S testing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7xKWGzLjlo

Battery % ** 0-60mph * kW
    ***** 10% ** 3.90s *** 329kW (no Launch Control, no ludicrous plus, no max battery power)
    ***** 24% ** 2.89s *** 485kW
    ***** 50% ** 2.70s *** 527kW
    ***** 76% ** 2.53s *** 559kW
    ***** 99% ** 2.50s *** 576kW (wheelspin)

Speaking of Tesla testing, they recently announced in a filing that although production of the Model 3 is beginning in July, as of Jan 1 this year, they had not yet got a single beta testing car on the road.  Maybe they are so good road testing takes just a couple of days?  Or since they are basically software and a couple of motors, testing is all done virtually? 

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/03/tesla-model-3-beta-test-cars-on-road/?hcid=ab-around-ab-tile-13

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

I suspect Musk has become accustomed to "over promising and under delivering" but the analysts and the market would always forgive him if his next project were going to be an even bigger growth opportunity. I think delay of the Model 3 will be the final clincher though.

mcdelaug:

...I suspect Musk has become accustomed to "over promising and under delivering"... 

Speaking of which; how is i going with the solar rooftiles? They were the buzz of the town when introduced but I don't hear anybody about them anymore...

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    780401 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    442447 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    263248 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    261572 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    85729 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5875 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

881306 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    818479 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM