Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Tesla Model X Thread Closed

Porsche: Tesla’s Ludicrous mode is bullshit and the seats ‘suck’ http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheBoyGeniusReport/~3/abP8nIzfy9A/

koko:

Porsche: Tesla’s Ludicrous mode is bullshit and the seats ‘suck’ http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheBoyGeniusReport/~3/abP8nIzfy9A/

You added a bit of a dramatization (he neither used the words bullshit nor suck) but he didn't lie.

The Ludicrous mode is a real battery killer and the Tesla S seats aren't exactly great, I agree.

However...Porsche should be careful here. Tesla has a lot of experience with ELVs, Porsche doesn't.

Another thing is that marketing sometimes trumps great products.

Take the Nissan GT-R and the 911 Turbo S: So many, especially in the US, think that the Nissan GT-R is a great car and totally superior versus the 911 Turbo S. The truth is: The GT-R sucks if you take a closer look. You get what you pay for, the launch control overheats the gearbox after a couple of tries, sometimes the GT-R loose tire tread at very high speeds because the tires suck (and tire pressure recommendations seem to be too low for this heavy car), none of the tested GT-R (at least in Europe, incl. the latest Nismo) ever did 0-100 kph under 3 seconds (Nissan advertises the car with 2.7 seconds...which would be sensational) and owners always seem to have some sort of (more or less) serious issues with their cars according to the various GT-R forums on the internet.

Nissan knows how to advertise the car, Porsche is and was always way too "tame" when they advertised their Turbo S and of course both cars play in different price categories, no doubt about it.

I think Tesla did a terrific job to promote their cars so far, so until Porsche proves them wrong and/or does better, I would be very careful with criticizing Tesla. Just saying...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Well, keep in mind the GTR is 8 years old. Porsche has gone from 997.1 tip to 997.2 pdk to 991 pdk to 991.2 pdk.

I'm not sure the GTR ever really got a significant update like the 911 has.

noone1:

Well, keep in mind the GTR is 8 years old. Porsche has gone from 997.1 tip to 997.2 pdk to 991 pdk to 991.2 pdk.

The GT-R was crap from the start and Nissan still keeps it alive for whatever (publicity) reasons. Look at the Nismo.

Nissan always improved something, according to them, so they weren't standing still but they always kept production cost in mind, so... Smiley

It is surprising that the GT-R has such a good reputation in the US, in Europe, from what I know, the street (and track) cred is pretty bad. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Audi R8 V10 Plus (2017), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

However...Porsche should be careful here. Tesla has a lot of experience with ELVs, Porsche doesn't.

Careful!  Tesla has some experience building EVs in quantity, but one cannot necessarily discount Porsche's experience, nor its parent, the Volkswagen Group.  One would venture, that VW's EV experience and collective knowledge on the subject far outstrips Tesla's in-house knowledge.  Volkswagen, for example, has operated a research & development  laboratory in Silicon Valley for many more years than Tesla has existed.  Audi had developed a modern hybrid vehicle, the Audi Duo, back in 1989, in concept form.  The limited production version was released in 1997.  While, a hybrid is not a pure EV, many of the same components are shared in both types of vehicles.  

Audi and others in the Group keep hybrids and EVs in the research labs because the economics were not favorable and because the technology was somewhat limiting for the consumer.  Tesla, of course, has little pretense toward profitability, and as a result, has limited financial resources to compete against the majors when the R&D budgets allocate significant capital toward EV development and production.   Porsche, on the other hand, is a direct beneficiary of Volkswagen Group's increased R&D spending in this vertical.

RC:
    noone1:

The GT-R was crap from the start and Nissan still keeps it alive for whatever (publicity) reasons. Look at the Nismo.

Nissan always improved something, according to them, so they weren't standing still but they always kept production cost in mind, so... Smiley

It is surprising that the GT-R has such a good reputation in the US, in Europe, from what I know, the street (and track) cred is pretty bad. Smiley

No one in the US seemed to have an problems with them. Quite reliable cars from what I heard. I thought it felt too big and bloated when I was in one, but otherwise I didn't think it was a bad car.

How often do you go 300+ kph in the US? 

--

Just saw my first Model X this weekend. It looks quite nice from first glance, but when approaching it it's very bland like something is missing.. It seems to be an unfinished concept car still, but I guess its the result of best in class aerodynamics? Tesla should make a smaller SUV type vehicle, the model X is too minivan for my liking.

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Just saw my first Model X this weekend. It looks quite nice from first glance, but when approaching it it's very bland like something is missing.. It seems to be an unfinished concept car still, but I guess its the result of best in class aerodynamics? Tesla should make a smaller SUV type vehicle, the model X is too minivan for my liking.

I agree - the car looks horrible (on pictures, at least). Without reading the text I thought that this would be the new entry model (low price). I would never buy a car looking like this Smiley

We test drove the Model X last week. We are absolutely flashed by the car.  The power is insane as we all know and already in the 430HP versions with two 265HP engines it is very smooth and extremely fast. The car indeed feels like a next generation car.  The 770 HP ludicrous mode is as the name says insane and ludicrous. 

We are looking for a family car and this car does all it need to do for us. We hardly go for longer trips than 400km (Tesla claims 480 km range, so 400 might be realistic).. And even if, we are ok with taking a 40 min brake every 400km. 

We been test driving a 20 km serpentine road and it was such fun. Even the streets been wet I didn't feel any drift or slip at all, even I tried hard. The car hardly oscillates in the curves nor up and down on  acceleration or braking.

What did convince

• the user interface is spot on. It didnt take 2 minutes to understand where to find any function and use it. Also, it is like using computer - super intuitive, huge screen, proper google, etc.
    • drive train - suspension, engines - very convincing and what we are looking for
    • very quiet, it is pleasant just to hear tires and wind
    • very spacious. Rear seat space is absolutely fine for our 6 year old daughter. 
    • Seats are super comfy
    • All gadgets on board you wish to look for
    • Model X typical things are cool - windshield, door opener, self parking (the Garage is very narrow, so we will for sure use this function

What didh't convince

• Falcon Wings - are fun to watch but as SLS owner I know that they can suck a bit because they are slow and uncomfortable to use. Talking about a typical morning making shopping and going from bakery to butcher to post office... etc. (yes - in Germany those things are separated from each other - we are not going to the Super-Wallmart ;)
    • Outside design - a bit awkward. And I figured out that it is hard to find the right color as the car itself is not very attractive
    • Price - car is expensive, you can get Panamera/G63/GLS63 for the same amount. But hey - you are buying the future. Also, less fuel, no tax and service already included make a bit up for it.

We are test driving today a Range Rover and a Range Rover Sport - after that the decision will be taken :) Keep you posted!

Lars997:

Outside design - a bit awkward. And I figured out that it is hard to find the right color as the car itself is not very attractive

Very interesting review Smiley

The only thing: you comment on the design is even understated... I think the exterior looks very cheap and ugly Smiley Like some Chinese car manufacturer's idea of how a new car might look like...

MKSGR:
    Lars997:

Outside design - a bit awkward. And I figured out that it is hard to find the right color as the car itself is not very attractive

The only thing: you comment on the design is even understated... I think the exterior looks very cheap and ugly Smiley Like some Chinese car manufacturer's idea of how a new car might look like...

SmileySmiley

I wouldnt go so far. The car looks in reality much better than on picture. The quality looks actually quiet high. Interior is out of question, it looks, feels and smells high end (even though the seats are artificial leather, just the dashboard, etc. is real Napa leather). But the exterior design is really a bit ugly and reminds me a bit of this:

Lars997:
    MKSGR:
    Lars997:

SmileySmiley

I wouldnt go so far. The car looks in reality much better than on picture. The quality looks actually quiet high. Interior is out of question, it looks, feels and smells high end (even though the seats are artificial leather, just the dashboard, etc. is real Napa leather). But the exterior design is really a bit ugly and reminds me a bit of this:

These five-spoke wheels could be a bit larger on this Model X Smiley Is this 12"?

These pics are in white, not fair since white makes any SUV look bloated. Good colors are red, blue and of course black (since it hides many things like in any other car). The design is controversial, but at least it is unique, but is that any different than the 1st gen Cayenne, FF or Panamera being controversial too?

Lars, thank you for your opinion. Nice that you see the light on the X too. Coming from a car nut like you probably means that the car has good enough handling as I was exepecting, still need to schedule my test drive. Right now the X is edging the GLS 63 AMG for my next people mover... Make mine red and tan P90D 20" wheels with premium package and most of the goodies (same price as the AMG).

SciFrog:

These pics are in white, not fair since white makes any SUV look bloated. Good colors are red, blue and of course black (since it hides many things like in any other car). The design is controversial, but at least it is unique, but is that any different than the 1st gen Cayenne, FF or Panamera being controversial too?

Lars, thank you for your opinion. Nice that you see the light on the X too. Coming from a car nut like you probably means that the car has good enough handling as I was exepecting, still need to schedule my test drive. Right now the X is edging the GLS 63 AMG for my next people mover... Make mine red and tan P90D 20" wheels with premium package and most of the goodies (same price as the AMG).

I test drove the:

90D (very cool, different, looks pretty good, not great)
    Cayenne S (it's a Porsche, drives like a 911, love the looks)
    GLE AMG (power, but all mercedes to me are kinda boring).

I'm waiting for the Cayenne GTS to be available for a test drive, and I will also test drive the P90D. 

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:
    SciFrog:

I test drove the:

90D (very cool, different, looks pretty good, not great)
    Cayenne S (it's a Porsche, drives like a 911, love the looks)
    GLE AMG (power, but all mercedes to me are kinda boring).

I'm waiting for the Cayenne GTS to be available for a test drive, and I will also test drive the P90D. 

Or I'll just spend the money on season tickets for the Golden State Warriors... Smiley

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

Lars, great to get your impressions ! The X was also on my list, but we needed a car right now + I was unsure about the back seats, not being able to fold , so we got the Q7 ( very happy with it for our needs ) 

My wife still wants an S when we will replace the Mini JCW ......  But that would not make sense in our stable 

I am also all in favor of these cars. They bring novelty and push boundaries into new directions . Good for the car industry .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Everything is said here and of course - Gnil has a good comment, rear seats are not foldable. Which would make a huge impact for a family carrier which might need to move some stuff or be ready for an Ikea transport occasionally, too. 

We went yesterday to test drive the Range Rover Sport and Range Rover. Once we have been at the dealer my wife instantly fallen in love to an Evoque so we ended up driving 3 different cars. The Range Rover is way too much boat (soft, smooth, rocking), so it is out. The Sport is a great, luxurious car with a quit agile handling. However, it misses the fascination we always had from the previous model. It is just way to boring, especially the interior. The display and cockpit looks dated. Anyway - my wife loved the Evoque and wants one replacing her Mini. This would make perfect sense as it can add that extra "IKEA" space into the stable. So, when getting an Tesla we need to get that Evoque (actually I fear, she wants that Evoque in any kind of car stable situation;))

What I'm afraid of when getting a Tesla is, what if I don't like it, dont like to handle an EV  and I have a 36 or even 48 months lease running? Buying - I think is not an option as all the services and so on only is included with a lease. Tesla kind of pushes you towards lease. I mean, I had a 30 minutes test drive, but things might change when driving the car more excessive. Also - what you all are saying, for the same price you can get any upper luxury SUV.

I need to sleep some more days and maybe drive it again to see if the itch is still there!

Lars997:

Everything is said here and of course - Gnil has a good comment, rear seats are not foldable. Which would make a huge impact for a family carrier which might need to move some stuff or be ready for an Ikea transport occasionally, too. 

According to Tesla, their customers do not transport big loads themselves . The have them shipped Smiley  Maybe this is true in the US, but over here most people will do it themselves . That is the '' official'' reason for not having folding seats .

I would not buy a Tesla , only lease it , as I would be too afraid about selling it after 5 ou 6 years . If I would keep it grand max 3 years, buying would be ok ( with the big actual demand )  . But we keep our cars usually more then 5 years .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Lars997:

According to Tesla, their customers do not transport big loads themselves . The have them shipped Smiley  Maybe this is true in the US, but over here most people will do it themselves . That is the '' official'' reason for not having folding seats .

I would not buy a Tesla , only lease it , as I would be too afraid about selling it after 5 ou 6 years . If I would keep it grand max 3 years, buying would be ok ( with the big actual demand )  . But we keep our cars usually more then 5 years .

The other way of putting that, of course, would be to say that Tesla owners have to have their bulky stuff shipped because they cannot transport it themselves. Smiley 
    The real reason for the seats not being foldable is the fact that adding the additional hinges and catches necessary to allow them to be folded to those rather flimsy seat frames would make it extremely difficult to fulfil crash test requirements. 

--

fritz

I still don't like the look of the Tesla X, a car in this price range needs to offer something for the eyes as well. While the Tesla S is kind of timeless (my wife still calls it ugly... yesangry), the Tesla X isn't, it looks like a Japanese Minivan. The performance may be great but a family car needs to be fun as well and while I get the attraction of such a car, I think that many (incl. Lars and his wife) are falling a bit for the novelty factor here. In the end, other manufacturers will come up with the "right" design and interesting alternatives and maybe then, it could be time to choose.

Yes, I can see myself in an ELV as a daily driver to work (at least it needs to have a decent sound system) and maybe even as a family car for longer trips if they come up with a proper and pleasant design but as a weekend fun car, I would still choose something else.

Actually, I drove the Cayenne Hybrid quite often and I always liked the quiet electric mode most. However, I realized soon that I was driving slowly, very relaxed and...bored. I enjoyed the drive though but I also realized that I got hooked by the novelty factor (my gadget "soul" activated itself...) and while I enjoyed it, I would never be happy in such a car for a longer period of time.

This is also the reason why I think that hybrids still have a chance, especially in the high performance cars segment: A quiet electric drive for the city or when you want to save fuel and a powerful engine for fun, accompanied by the proper engine/exhaust sound. This would actually be my preferable car. An ELV wouldn't make me happy, sorry. 

I am pretty sure however that at some point, the coolness factor of ELVs will rise, especially in Europe. Right now, there aren't many choices and they are quite expensive but as soon as major manufacturers come up with something nice, there may be a shift in mentality. However, the price is still the main deciding factor here: Despite the VW scandal and despite the fact that most Diesel cars seem to produce more NOx than claimed, Germans are buying more Diesel cars than ever. The reason is simple: They consume less, Diesel fuel costs less and most Diesel cars offer nice performances because of the high torque. Even the threat that many Diesel cars may not be permitted to enter city centers in Germany in the next couple of years doesn't seem to scare buyers off. So the chances of ELVs having a breakthrough in Germany are pretty slim right now. I also don't see ELVs having success in Spain or Italy or even France, the next big countries in Europe. 

Tesla is lucky, they found a market gap in the luxury segment, Tesla S and Tesla X aren't exactly cheap and the success of the Model 3 remains to be seen, even if they have tons of pre-orders.

--

@Gnil @ Fritz:

Foldable seats is a huge factor and maybe even the deal braker. Thanks for pointing this out Gnil, almost overseen it. And yes - I would like to lease it, too. But again - what if you don't like the whole EV thing after a while, then you stuck in a contract.

@RC: 

Yep - the gadget soul is very hooked. And the fact that you drive slow and relaxed is exactly what would make me buy it!

Actually, I LOVE the fact that you can accelerate fast in a Tesla without making any noise.  That is one of my favorite things about the Tesla. I'm beginning to hate driving cars that make too much noise when you accelerate from the light.  I don't want people to think I'm racing with them.

--

2005 997S Blk/Blk

SoCal Alan:

Actually, I LOVE the fact that you can accelerate fast in a Tesla without making any noise.  That is one of my favorite things about the Tesla. I'm beginning to hate driving cars that make too much noise when you accelerate from the light.  I don't want people to think I'm racing with them.

You would think this would be the perfect car for Germany (people over here complain more and more about traffic noise...) but it gets boring fast, trust me. Maybe I need to change and maybe I will over the years but right now, I cannot imagine driving an ELV on a daily basis. 

--

For many the non folding middle row is a huge issue. Personally I am pretty sure I can fit more than the 7 suitcases that fit in the rear of my Macan so it is good enough, and I don't transport very large object, I have them shipped angry​ especially in a $130k brand new car. I can put the middle seat just forward enough to put the depth of one suitcase then put the rest behind with the third row folded. Didn't measure but the distance between the back second row seats all the way forward to the trunk has to be more than in the Macan with the seats folded (about 58" in the Macan).

That said the way the middle row of the X operates is reall cool and offers easier access to the third row than any other SUV, plus there is some room for small bags under the seats since they are each on a pedestal. Also do not forget that the X has a small front trunk too since there is no engine there angel That front crumple zone is one of the reasons the X is the safest car on the market today.

The design will not please everyone, but to me it doesn't look worse than the GLS, X5, Bentley SUV or last two Cayennes. RRS and new Q7 look way better though.

RC:
    SoCal Alan:

You would think this would be the perfect car for Germany (people over here complain more and more about traffic noise...) but it gets boring fast, trust me. Maybe I need to change and maybe I will over the years but right now, I cannot imagine driving an ELV on a daily basis. 

Maybe they can start piping in fake engine noise like in BMWs etc.Smiley

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

I didn't understand why the seats took so much engineering to produce until I went for a test drive. They move on their own track hidden under them. This car is well too over engineered and I love it indecision

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E & 991.2 GT3 on order

Mithras:
    RC:
    SoCal Alan:

Maybe they can start piping in fake engine noise like in BMWs etc.Smiley

I am pretty sure that at some point, ELVs will get a mandatory OUTSIDE fake engine noise of some kind because they are too quiet and endanger pedestrians and bicycle riders.

--

Tesla car drives owner to hospital after he suffers pulmonary embolism

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/37009696/tesla-car-drives-owner-to-hospital-after-he-suffers-pulmonary-embolism

Pretty cool. The guy is lucky he had the ability to program the car though. I wonder if voice activation can be used to "take you to the nearest hospital" or something? If not now, it will happen soon. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689929 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409425 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255836 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235069 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65578 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858176 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774288 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM