Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: World premiere for Porsche Mission E

Porsche is safe as long as Tesla doesn't deliver the interior as good as the competition...

The 800v is the issue. Tesla and other electric cars run 400v as far as I know. 

SciFrog:

Porsche is safe as long as Tesla doesn't deliver the interior as good as the competition...

I am sort of convinced that Porsche will deliver an electric car which has far superior handling and performance than Tesla Smiley Internet garage startup versus the most successful sports car manufacturer in the world.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

They will have to. 90% of the cars will be full electric in the next couple of decades... Already Porsche announces 310 miles capacity with 250 miles rechargeable in 15 minutes with all the torque benefits of the electric engines... How much more do you really need?

The luxury car manufactures will have to compete in the way they look, feel and drive in the electric era. Brands stand for something. Bentley will focus on amazing  interiors and massive torque. Porsche will focus on the tech and how it drives. I think Tesla will focus on being different and ultimately cheaper due to their ability to build cheaper batteries. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

Building cheer batteries will only last a few years. Then someone will make them for even cheaper. But the Gen 3 smaller priced cars will be Tesla bread and butter, they won't be able to compete with luxury german and japans auto makers.

Michael Mauer Interview on the Mission E. Said just like the 918 concept the Mission E production car will be pretty close. Cool!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S50_j7AczZA

--

1442424049790thumbup.gif

SciFrog:

Building cheer batteries will only last a few years. Then someone will make them for even cheaper. But the Gen 3 smaller priced cars will be Tesla bread and butter, they won't be able to compete with luxury german and japans auto makers.

Tesla will have the largest Battery factory in the world by a very large margin, equal to all the battery factories combined in 2014. They also have a very comprehensive supercharger network and many would argue they are the leader in Electric car technology.

If I was the luxury German CEOs I would take Tesla very seriously and not dismiss them the same way Nokia dismissed Apple and Google. Silicon Valley companies have incredible amounts of resources. Tesla's stockmarket capitalization is more than 30 Billion dollars already. 

I would like to know the following: (i) battery life (ii) battery replacement cost (iii) enviro effects of battery manufacturing/reconditioning/recycling.

I would also like to know what is the plan to develop a network of suoerchargers and the plan to improve national grids to support those superchargers. Currently when a few Teslas are charging brownouts occur.
    --

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

Ferrari will not make e-cars:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-09-15/ferrari-to-keep-loud-sports-cars-in-snub-of-suvs-electric-autos

--

"Dream as impractical, irrational and unnecessary as that may be... Here's to the Dreamers!" -- Porsche AG.

SportCarGroup:

S15_0818_fine.jpg

Next to the E the 991.2 looks like a car from a distant past. 

The 991.2 looks like it should be a in museum from that picture.

palenimbus:
    SciFrog:

Tesla will have the largest Battery factory in the world by a very large margin, equal to all the battery factories combined in 2014. They also have a very comprehensive supercharger network and many would argue they are the leader in Electric car technology.

If I was the luxury German CEOs I would take Tesla very seriously and not dismiss them the same way Nokia dismissed Apple and Google. Silicon Valley companies have incredible amounts of resources. Tesla's stockmarket capitalization is more than 30 Billion dollars already. 

Agree the German CEO's should take them seriously.  Just test drove the P85D with the Ludicrous option (0-60 in 2.8 sec.) and will be trading my 2015 S550 in on one this Friday.  A stunning car. Only thing the S550 has over it is the additional interior volume.  The interior fit and finish of the newest models are close enough to Mercedes as to be a wash for me.  Acceleration is almost breath taking, fully equal to 12C's I have owned in the past up to one hundred or so which is all I really care about.  The S550 felt a bit like a barge driving home from the test drive.  The two cars weigh about the same, but the Mercedes feels much heavier when driving.  Tesla feels glued to the road with its low center of gravity.

Conrad2 keep the updates on the P90D coming! I am about to order mine but was waiting to see if some of the updates for the ModelX make it into the Model S...

--

My Porsche salesman just told me the phones have been ringing none stop (for cars in general) since all the press re the Mission E....

--

Amazing design, I love it and its not easy to pul off, well done, it may be a study but they can apply the general design to anothe rmodel...

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Well I gave them the best vote of confidence of all. 

I put down a deposit already for a show car that may or may not reach production.

--

Whoopsy:

I put down a deposit already for a show car that may or may not reach production.

Have you received any hints (or do you have any feelings of your own) what it may cost?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

palenimbus:

The 991.2 looks like it should be a in museum from that picture.

SmileySmileySmiley Hilarious

--

J.Seven

SciFrog:

Tesla is losing technical staff to Apple in an apparent arms race using signing bonuses and salaries as weapons.  Apple has over $200 billion of cash on the balance sheet and can literally bludgeon Tesla in terms of hiring key technical expertise.  Rumors in the Valley are that Tesla is having problems with continuing development projects as a result of Apple's hiring activities.  

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Have you received any hints (or do you have any feelings of your own) what it may cost?

Absolutely no idea. I never even get a sniff out of Porsche for the Mission E before 2 days ago.

But if Tesla right now is already starting at 100k US, and the Porsche has a much better interior, add on the Porsche brand premium, it's not unreasonable to assume it will be at at least 130-150k?

--

Yeah, I was thinking at least that much too...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

I have never seen a 4 seater that I ''want'', not ''need''-until this thing showed up

It is unmistakably Porsche, modern and 'technical' but still with organic curves and classic lines (lights, hips...it's even got offset screen like 911s had the radio!)

About price - well if Alfa is asking almost 100k for their M3 this thing could easily be 200k, similar to 600-ish hp Panamera

What is the size of it? 5-seies, or 7, or maybe 3? Can't really judge it from the photos

Does it have 2 electric engines or 4( one per axle or per wheel?)

Oh, and I wouldn't mind it with a Carrera S engine and a gearbox of some sort, if it's not Panamera size

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

Absolutely no idea. I never even get a sniff out of Porsche for the Mission E before 2 days ago.

But if Tesla right now is already starting at 100k US, and the Porsche has a much better interior, add on the Porsche brand premium, it's not unreasonable to assume it will be at at least 130-150k?

(in the voice of Jeremy C. ) "Some say, that current 918 owners will be given first rights to de-bug - I mean own - the Mission E production car".   Smiley

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

lor:

I have never seen a 4 seater that I ''want'', not ''need''-until this thing showed up

It is unmistakably Porsche, modern and 'technical' but still with organic curves and classic lines (lights, hips...it's even got offset screen like 911s had the radio!)

About price - well if Alfa is asking almost 100k for their M3 this thing could easily be 200k, similar to 600-ish hp Panamera

What is the size of it? 5-seies, or 7, or maybe 3? Can't really judge it from the photos

Does it have 2 electric engines or 4( one per axle or per wheel?)

Oh, and I wouldn't mind it with a Carrera S engine and a gearbox of some sort, if it's not Panamera size

From the intro video, it looks to be 5 series sized, which make sense, as anything bigger isn't really a driver's car anymore.

Dual electric motors, front and rear with torque vectoring

--

Do these e-motors have clutches which open if the motor seizes? 

--

palenimbus:
    SciFrog:

This is why this company is a huge risk for investors. Many are hoping for Tesla to succeed or if not, to be bought but at more than 30 billion, I wonder who would buy them. If Mercedes would invest "only" Smiley 15 Billion in new technology, they would have better results.  

Tesla can succeed but it can also fail miserably. Elon Musk has certainly a strong personality and he seems to love what he does but nobody is safe from failure, not even someone like him. 

I agree however that if Porsche doesn't put the Mission E on the market latest next year, they do not need to bother. Tesla advances with each and every day in their domain and at some point, there is no way to beat them at their own game. I think this is what Elon Musk is basing his strategy on, keeping on and on and on until Tesla has the tech which nobody can "beat". Even now, their products are pretty impressive and if Tesla succeeds in getting the tech optimized and a more refined interior (not worthy of a 100+k car), it will be a game changer.

On the other hand, if one of the major car manufacturers starts to take this whole "e" business more serious (and it may already have happened, even if we do not know about it), Tesla could be in serious trouble. Right now, they basically have no serious competition but what...if? 

Sorry but I do not see how Porsche will change the game with a "Mission E". I rather think that Porsche needed or wanted something fancy to show off at the IAA but although I like the new design elements, I'm less and less impressed the more I look it and think about it. Nice study but if the real product is 2-3 years out, it won't succeed. Just imagine where Tesla will be in 2-3 years if they continue this way?

The only think I do not like with Tesla is their new Tesla X SUV: It looks hideous, I wouldn't want to be seen in one of these. Sorry but the back looks horrendous. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Tesla design is dull and anonymous, they look derivative and Korean.

I think the e-tron quattro that Audi showed off at the IAA will be more of a competitor to Tesla than the Mission E which will probably cost at least twice as much as the Tesla Model S.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM