Crown

Board: Porsche Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: World premiere for Porsche Mission E

Interesting article about Tesla gaining lots of sales versus BMW 7, S class and A8. Traditional manufactures can't ignore this move away from the ICE

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/10/19/tesla-model-s-passes-bmw-audi-getting-close-to-mercedes-in-europe/

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

Hmm, wrong class. The Model S competes with the A6, E class and 5 series. Let's see who those numbers stacked up.

--

I agree as a size model the Model S is a A6 , E or 5..  But I have also noticed that it is actually old S , 7 series and A8 drivers who buy the Model S + women.  

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS 

I am replacing my BMW750 with a Model S 85D so I am an example in point.

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3 2017 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

Good luck.

Btw, this is general question for members here that are fascinated with Tesla...

If you are Petrol heads who value excellent drive dynamics and driver involvement how can any of you value Tesla S 85D?

It is the car with the worst drive dynamics in this size class. Yes, pretty fast in single straight line attempt. I drove it on 350km long trip and car is really pure POC drive dynamics wise. My BMW M550d x drive Touring is far, far better in drive dynamics, comfort and pretty much everything important to me. 

And btw, I am not against e-cars. In fact my company will have e-Golf from next week as company city commuter.

Well, as Elon said, building cars isn't easy, you can't just ask Foxconn to do it.

This makes me wonder exactly who they have doing their road tests, though, after comments here about handling:

Just last month, the magazine awarded one version of the car — the all-wheel-drive Tesla Model S P85D — 103 points, a tally so high it broke the Consumer Reports road-test ratings system. Its driving performance was better than any other vehicle the magazine has evaluated.

But Fisher said road-test scores are based on the performance, comfort and road manners of the cars Consumer Reports buys and evaluates.

So, apparently, according to CR, it drives better than a 911? 

I do think there will come a point in our lifetimes where the though of driving a gasoline powered car for commuting, consuming fossil fuel and spewing CO2 in the air, will seem very archaic.  I just hope that the use of gas powered recreational vehicles will be allowed to persist.  Grandfather rule I suppose.

vantagesc:

I do think there will come a point in our lifetimes where the though of driving a gasoline powered car for commuting, consuming fossil fuel and spewing CO2 in the air, will seem very archaic.  I just hope that the use of gas powered recreational vehicles will be allowed to persist.  Grandfather rule I suppose.

Toyota has just gone on record with the prediction that it expects to have ceased production of cars with internal combustion engines by 2050. 

--

fritz

KresoF1:
    EnglishManInNY:

Good luck.

Btw, this is general question for members here that are fascinated with Tesla...

If you are Petrol heads who value excellent drive dynamics and driver involvement how can any of you value Tesla S 85D?

It is the car with the worst drive dynamics in this size class. Yes, pretty fast in single straight line attempt. I drove it on 350km long trip and car is really pure POC drive dynamics wise. My BMW M550d x drive Touring is far, far better in drive dynamics, comfort and pretty much everything important to me. 

And btw, I am not against e-cars. In fact my company will have e-Golf from next week as company city commuter.

Completely agree with your assessment Smiley. Its a shockingly poor car for anyone who values handling and ride let alone build quality. The "hit" from the electric motor on take off is exactly that  - a very short lived rush followed by complete motoring banality.

fritz:
    vantagesc:

Toyota has just gone on record with the prediction that it expects to have ceased production of cars with internal combustion engines by 2050. 

Well, if I'm still around to drive by then, or able to, I'll probably need a self-driving car anyway, and won't care much how the engine works, as long as the car remembers where I'm going.

For me the Tesla is a perfect DD. After a hard day at work I just want to get in the car and now let it drive. As for excitement I love the throttle response and urge of the electric motors. I don't want to have to change gear or wait for turbo lag. I just want to go and go fast. I agree it could not replace a weekend toy. Hence why I am thinking of replacing my TTS with a 991.2 GT3. The Tesla would be replaced by the Mission E. But I think my wife would never want anything other than a Model X. These statements hold true even if oil drops to new lows. 

Btw I did graduate in Computer Science over 20years ago so I am an old geek at heart Smiley

--

I have no doubt the future is in electric cars, and i applaud Tesla's success and inventiveness.  But i would never buy one at its 100K price tag.  Its looks are too model car like, and the interior comfort and finish are standard at best.

That's why you lease it. I never buy any of my DD cars. Especially EVs. They are out of date like iPads or will be in my mind. 

--

apias:

Well, if I'm still around to drive by then, or able to, I'll probably need a self-driving car anyway, and won't care much how the engine works, as long as the car remembers where I'm going.

Hahaha, I agree completely. Smiley  

The cool thing about failing from dementia is that the sufferer doesn't give two craps about what other people think.  Whatever works is coolSmileySmiley

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

EnglishManInNY:

For me the Tesla is a perfect DD. After a hard day at work I just want to get in the car and now let it drive. As for excitement I love the throttle response and urge of the electric motors. I don't want to have to change gear or wait for turbo lag. I just want to go and go fast. I agree it could not replace a weekend toy. Hence why I am thinking of replacing my TTS with a 991.2 GT3. The Tesla would be replaced by the Mission E. But I think my wife would never want anything other than a Model X. These statements hold true even if oil drops to new lows. 

Btw I did graduate in Computer Science over 20years ago so I am an old geek at heart Smiley

I am 100% a petrolhead but I do get the attractiveness of a Tesla S85.

It is kind of a novelty gadget on 4 wheels and the constant software updates actually improve the experience.

If I had the money to be able to own many different cars at the same time, I think the Tesla S85 would be one of them. Not because it is a great car but because it combines two things I love a lot: Gadgets and cars. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I can't get over how many Model S I see every day in my daily commute. It's incredible. Nothing special about them at all in Northern Virginia. It seems like every marginally successful person is driving them. Men and women of all nationalities. I have more exclusivity driving my Toyota 4Runner as my DD. What really bugs me about them are the ones that have custom license plates making some sort of green statement about being carbon free or oil free etc etc. Come on folks, no one in this area is charging those cars on 100% renewable fossil free electricity.

Rant over!

wink

SimpleSkin:

Come on folks, no one in this area is charging those cars on 100% renewable fossil free electricity.

Rant over!

This is the real issue. Has anyone found any genuinely independent and reliable data on overall energy use and CO2 emissions on how the Tesla compares to, wait for it, the most fuel efficient diesel, or even petrol cars? I would be very interested to see it - and I mean that with an open mind Smiley

crayphile:
    SimpleSkin:

Come on folks, no one in this area is charging those cars on 100% renewable fossil free electricity.

Rant over!

This is the real issue. Has anyone found any genuinely independent and reliable data on overall energy use and CO2 emissions on how the Tesla compares to, wait for it, the most fuel efficient diesel, or even petrol cars? I would be very interested to see it - and I mean that with an open mind Smiley

Cray - I will agree that EVs are only as good as the energy that powers them and what makes them. But tesla is trying to be as clean as possible. Solar power for their factories and their gigafactory and mining sourcing. They are trying far harder than any company or government out there. Give them credit for that. If you ask me they don't get enough credit. 

I used to think of a future with no ICE and hated it. Now after experiencing a few EVs I am not worried. For my DD at least.  Can't wait for a true EV Porsche!

--

This is from 2006 by Elon Musk: http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/secret-tesla-motors-master-plan-just-between-you-and-me

--

Mike

918 Spyder + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

Drive a Model S and you'll never go back. It's an amazing machine. I can't wait for the Model 3 and will seriously consider it! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Atzporsche:

Drive a Model S and you'll never go back. It's an amazing machine. I can't wait for the Model 3 and will seriously consider it! 

In current state of Tesla cars development totally disagree.

If I after four test drives of various Tesla S models (S85 D included) decide to replace my BMW M550d X drive Touring with it I would consider enormous change in my personal character. From perosn who value drive dynamics and overall engagement to person who do not like any drive dynamics at all. Tesla S is drive dynamics wise Citröen CX of modern times. 

If you've lots of time on your hands - and you want to know Elon's thinking on tesla, this is worth a read:-

http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/05/elon-musk-the-worlds-raddest-man.html

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

Model S is a straight line rocket, no doubt about it, and that's one attribute that most drivers like. It does ok in corners but not quite up to par to a certain segment of drivers. 

--

Whoopsy:

Model S is a straight line rocket, no doubt about it, and that's one attribute that most drivers like. It does ok in corners but not quite up to par to a certain segment of drivers. 

No, it doesn't ok in corners.

Car is crap on country roads.

Auto Zeitung tested S85D against Audi RS7 on Contidrom and RS7 was 10s faster on dry track. 10s on short track... 

One of my business partners bought S model and praised it as much as possible. Then in his narrowmindidness he decided to drive from Zagreb to Dubrovnik with his Tesla... Trip lasted for me(M550d xDrive Touring) around 4h20mins with one coffe stop. He travelled one full day... Ok, stupid mistake that he made since he belived in Tesla advertised range (he forgot that speeding around 160km/h will empty batteries pretty quickly). Nevertheless, he proudly said that he achieved zero emissions and that my diesel BMW polluted the air. When I asked him how is the electricty for his Tesla produced he said: "clean electricity from local e-station in Zagreb!" My reply was:"you mean electricity most likely produced by local Nuclear Power Plant? And this electricity is more ecological in production then diesel fuel produced for my BMW?" Debate ended in his words:"you ruined it for me from now on. As a ecology driven person I need to cope now with the fact that Nuclear Power Plant is producing electricity for my Tesla."

Point is not black or white. Just IMHO way too many Tesla owners belive 100% in totally wrong claims or lack reality in certain prespective. Everything is grey, and with much more then 50 shades of it...

The more electric cars there are translates into more fuel left for us petrolheads! kiss

--

2011 Porsche 911 [997.2] Carrera 4S (Platinum Silver) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche Panamera GTS [970.1] (Basalt Black) {Sold}
    2013 Porsche 911 [991.1] Carrera S (GT Silver)
    2014 Porsche 911 [991.1] GT3 (Agate Grey

“The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively” ― Bob Marley

many electric car owners conveniently forget or deliberately ignore the CO2 produced when the electricity is generated

and they do the same re:all the nasty toxic stuff in the batteries, which will require safe disposal in future

read the articles people posted previously re toxic batties and co2. It's not as if the ICE is good for the planet.

--

SimpleSkin:

I can't get over how many Model S I see every day in my daily commute. It's incredible. Nothing special about them at all in Northern Virginia. It seems like every marginally successful person is driving them. Men and women of all nationalities. I have more exclusivity driving my Toyota 4Runner as my DD. What really bugs me about them are the ones that have custom license plates making some sort of green statement about being carbon free or oil free etc etc. Come on folks, no one in this area is charging those cars on 100% renewable fossil free electricity.

Rant over!

wink

True. I saw at least two dozens of Tesla S during my three week US vacation back in the summer. I even remember one license plate, ZEROEMS or so. So the drivers are proud of their green image, indeed.

This whole year, I think I saw two Tesla S in Germany. One had Norwegian license plates. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

sfo:

many electric car owners conveniently forget or deliberately ignore the CO2 produced when the electricity is generated

and they do the same re:all the nasty toxic stuff in the batteries, which will require safe disposal in future

This is actually the biggest problem right now because nobody has a clear vision (or solution) of how do deal with this issue.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688736 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408786 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255563 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234818 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65406 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4636 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857653 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773515 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM