Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Jeep Confirms Hellcat-Powered Grand Cherokee

apias:

Here you go RC

XXL

1440651283831popcorn.gif

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Lets see what kind of mark ups the dealers put on this one!

But it will be a beast! And I love beasts with traction!

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

See yachting comment

Very cool!

Just thought I'm done with another Jeep. Our SRT is great but the service and dealer network in Germany is very much improvable! But hey - seeing this gives me already temptations to go for another round!

apias:

Here you go RC,

http://blog.caranddriver.com/jeep-confirms-hellcat-powered-grand-cherokee-to-dealers-reveals-0-60-time/

Tempting...very tempting but only if Chrysler decides to bring this puppy to Europe. Unfortunately it either ain't going to happen or they will ask a fortune for it. Smiley

Btw: In my opinion, the Jeep GC is the only car the Hellcat engine makes actually sense. The Challenger and Charger are way overpowered and need AWD.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

There is always hope!

apias:

There is always hope!

I do not think Chrysler will bring this car to Europe. Certification would be pretty expensive and it would seriously "harm" their CO2 /fleet consumption numbers. Also, it could hurt the image of Jeep in Germany (according to my local dealer).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

... Also, it could hurt the image of Jeep in Germany (according to my local dealer).

How so?

apias:
    RC:

... Also, it could hurt the image of Jeep in Germany (according to my local dealer).

How so?

I understand that - but the number of cars is so limited - it never ever would hurt the image! Most people wouldn't know that and most wouldn't care!

Jeep has a certain (positive) image in Germany and even the SRT was kind of a (small) problem but people didn't really realize that this is not your typical Jeep off-roader. Now with a Hellcat engine equipped Grand Cherokee, Jeep would actually enter the luxury performance SUV market here and people would certainly notice. Not sure it would do them good. My local Jeep dealer thinks that it wouldn't be the best idea from a marketing point of view but he plans to import the car from the US for customers who really want it. However, the price tag will be insane in my opinion, especially at the current exchange rate. Yes, performance will be amazing on this car but would you really want to spend 120k EUR for a Hellcat Jeep? I'm not so sure. For under 90k EUR, I could be tempted but we all know that this isn't going to happen.

--

I will not spend 120k for an Hellcat - but if I have to spend 30% more for the lease I pay right now, I might do it as it still would be 30% of what you have to pay for an AMG or Turbo Cayenne

RC:

Jeep has a certain (positive) image in Germany and even the SRT was kind of a (small) problem but people didn't really realize that this is not your typical Jeep off-roader. Now with a Hellcat engine equipped Grand Cherokee, Jeep would actually enter the luxury performance SUV market here and people would certainly notice. Not sure it would do them good. 

So, you mean driving around in what people now see as a high-end luxury brand -- i.e., that you are flaunting your wealth?

apias:
    RC:

Jeep has a certain (positive) image in Germany and even the SRT was kind of a (small) problem but people didn't really realize that this is not your typical Jeep off-roader. Now with a Hellcat engine equipped Grand Cherokee, Jeep would actually enter the luxury performance SUV market here and people would certainly notice. Not sure it would do them good. 

So, you mean driving around in what people now see as a high-end luxury brand -- i.e., that you are flaunting your wealth?

Currently, a Jeep is not perceived as a luxury brand or lifestyle SUV but a serious off-roader, incl. my Grand Cherokee SRT (which of course is ridiculous but people don't have a clue about the tech and details, Jeep is Jeep to them). I always get very positive feedback for my Grand Cherokee (which is and always will be weird since this truck is not different from a Cayenne or X5) because people simply think this is a serious off-roader and not a show-off SUV. 

I know, I know but this is a fact. Once people start to realize that a certain Jeep model is nothing else than a Cayenne or whatever, people will start changing their opinions and attitudes. My Mustang is another similar story: Since the car looks kind of "old" or vintage, people actually think this is an old vintage car, believe it or not. Most of the people are very surprised to learn that this is a 2014 car and has quite some modern tech in it. For me, these false beliefs are a huge advantage because people do not really get jealous or envious. My car is parked in an "open" garage and doesn't have a single scratch or damage. Try this with a Porsche 911 and after a couple of days, you get the "results". Smiley

This belief (Mustang...old vintage car) is also the reason people, incl. the police, accept the loud exhaust sound and trust me, it is really loud. Nobody cares...this is an "old" car. Smiley Smiley

Perception is everything...

--

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (SRT with Hellcat engine) is confirmed!

Apparently it will hit 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds (meaning: 3.8 seconds from 0-100 kph).

Price tag? Somewhere between 90k and 100k USD.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk (SRT with Hellcat engine) is confirmed!

Apparently it will hit 0-60 mph in 3.5 seconds (meaning: 3.8 seconds from 0-100 kph).

Price tag? Somewhere between 90k and 100k USD.

Very interesting car and price. As far as I could see it is planned for Mid 2017 which is far away of today. And seeing that the other Hellcats are still didn't make their official way to Europe I have only small hope that we can buy a car over her. Smiley

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/jeep/2016-jeep-srt-hellcat-ar166284.html

Video: He clearly says before end of 2017

I think I am going to pass on this one because according to my Jeep dealer, it is very unlikely that Chrysler Germany is going to officially bring the car to Europe and I do not want a grey import for various reasons (learned my lesson from the GT500). Also, once the grey import car hits Germany, it will cost at least 120k EUR (assuming that next year, the USD will have parity with the EUR). Too much for a US car, sorry to say that, especially after the many little issues I had with the GC SRT.

I am still eying a used G63 AMG or even a used Cayenne Turbo S (facelift). Was even thinking about a G65, a car I could keep all my life  but the G65 sounds surprisingly bad compared to the G63, so... enlightened Unfortunately, you cannot get a "good" car with low mileage (under 30k km) for under 120k. Unbelievable. 

Same with the Cayenne Turbo S facelift, the prices are pretty stable right now.

Maybe when fuel prices go up, prices for SUVs go down. yes

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I'm not sure if the G is able to compensate a GC SRT. But maybe the next generation in 2017 might be a good substitute, but current car is not on the level of a modern car (IMO). For myself, I probably will extend the SRT for another year. Too many cars are in the pipeline, Dec. 2016 is not a good time for a change. Facelifts, new models, everything is coming in 2017 - Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jeep.... all will be out a 12 to 18 months later. And I hate to have right away an old car again!  As the G has stable prices, it probably would make most sense to take one of those, but once the successor is out, the current cars will drop, too. I guess there is no way to make the next decision right! heart I'm really confused. 

Lars997:

I'm not sure if the G is able to compensate a GC SRT. But maybe the next generation in 2017 might be a good substitute, but current car is not on the level of a modern car (IMO).

I had a G550 (equals G500 in Germany) as a rental car for two weeks and it was wonderful and in my opinion at the level of a modern car (design-wise maybe not, my wife isn't a friend of the design). Mercedes again refreshed the G class and added even more modern features, so...

For myself, I probably will extend the SRT for another year. Too many cars are in the pipeline, Dec. 2016 is not a good time for a change. Facelifts, new models, everything is coming in 2017 - Range Rover, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, Jeep.... all will be out a 12 to 18 months later. And I hate to have right away an old car again!  As the G has stable prices, it probably would make most sense to take one of those, but once the successor is out, the current cars will drop, too. I guess there is no way to make the next decision right! heart I'm really confused. 

Actually, I would cancel my SRT lease tomorrow if I could. The Jeep is only used for longer trips (skiing, Italy in spring/summer), it only has 10k km and I have it for almost two years now. My wife kind of regrets not getting a Cayenne instead, so we wouldn't need two SUVs (Macan and Jeep). I really like the SRT, cool car, sounds amazing (kids love it) and it attracts a lot of attention everywhere I drive it but in the end and it is a very comfortable car for longer trips but it doesn't really make me happy as much as I expected it would be. So in February 2017, when the lease runs out, the car will go. No doubt about it.

--

The other day I was being a G in a roundabout . Sad view . I would never buy such an old car , unless I would like on a farm in some remote country .

We are looking ( again ) to change our family car . Need lots of space as we have 3 kids .  Last year when I looked I could not decide on any of the cars I tried ( X5, Range Rover Sport ) as they all felt dead boring or not practical for us . So I left it and leaped my old horrible family car . But now the gear box is giving up . I have to change.

In the last 3 days, I test drove a Range Rover Discovery diesel 3.0 , a GL ( S ) 350 ,  a GLE 450,  and a Q7 3.0 TDI

Surprisingly the best seems to be the Q7 . The most modern, light for it s size, only diesel I ever drove that felt ok, good handling for such a big car  and It was my wife's favorite ( she did't like the old Q7 at all )   I would take it with the petrol engine ( if I can try it out before ) 

I just hesitate with a GLE 500 . That could be quite nice . The trunk is actually pretty big for it's size .

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil, honestly try the new Volvo xc90. Much better looking than the old one, wonderful interior, 7 seats etc...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Gnil:

The other day I was being a G in a roundabout . Sad view . I would never buy such an old car , unless I would like on a farm in some remote country .

We are looking ( again ) to change our family car . Need lots of space as we have 3 kids .  Last year when I looked I could not decide on any of the cars I tried ( X5, Range Rover Sport ) as they all felt dead boring or not practical for us . So I left it and leaped my old horrible family car . But now the gear box is giving up . I have to change.

In the last 3 days, I test drove a Range Rover Discovery diesel 3.0 , a GL ( S ) 350 ,  a GLE 450,  and a Q7 3.0 TDI

Surprisingly the best seems to be the Q7 . The most modern, light for it s size, only diesel I ever drove that felt ok, good handling for such a big car  and It was my wife's favorite ( she did't like the old Q7 at all )   I would take it with the petrol engine ( if I can try it out before ) 

I just hesitate with a GLE 500 . That could be quite nice . The trunk is actually pretty big for it's size .

For example a CLS Shooting Brake, would that not offer sufficient size? Seems to offer great style and more fun than any SUV can offer?

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Gnil:

G500 or G63? Completely different experience. Also, the latest facelift brought a lot of modern tech to the G class.

Never ever a Diesel again. Boring. Only advantage: Fuel consumption.

The new Q7 is actually quite interesting but at the same time also very boring looking. It is the novelty factor which attracts attention, it will fade off fast. Audi also plans a very interesting hybrid and a sportier version with V8 (I think), so maybe worth considering.

Not a fan of Mercedes SUVs, with the exception of the G class or maybe the new (and bigger than GLE) GLS.

In a big SUV for the family, only a nice V8 is fun. My wife's Macan Turbo is quick and everything but I actually enjoy driving the Jeep GC SRT more.

Oh boy do I miss my Cayenne GTS (V8)...you cannot imagine.

Right now, I would look for a new X5M, Cayenne Turbo facelift or Range Rover Sport SVR.

Or anything similar with a V8 engine.

--

Porker:
    Gnil:

For example a CLS Shooting Brake, would that not offer sufficient size? Seems to offer great style and more fun than any SUV can offer?

A CLS is ugly, also my wife hates station wagons (many women do as far as I know...).

--

RC:
    Porker:
    Gnil:

A CLS is ugly, also my wife hates station wagons (many women do as far as I know...).

Just because you think it is ugly doesn't mean it is... Same goes for your wife's opinion... Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Yeah, I think the CLS Shooting Brake is pretty damn sexy. And in 63S form fast as you'd ever need.

--

Porker:
    RC:
    Porker:
    Gnil:

Just because you think it is ugly doesn't mean it is... Same goes for your wife's opinion.

Smiley

--

This isn't just my opinion, or my wife's. I know a bunch of people who love cars and I know how often we discussed the CLS. Actually, "our" (all these people) opinion about people owning/driving a CLS is quite bad but to each his own I guess. You cannot really discuss tastes in a reasonable and objective way. Smiley Smiley 

--

Mithras:

Gnil, honestly try the new Volvo xc90. Much better looking than the old one, wonderful interior, 7 seats etc...

My wife does not want a Volvo Smiley

But I agree that is looks much better then before and modern . I can not comment on the handling , but the Q7 was very impressive for such a big car . The MB GL felt like a car from 10 years ago in comparison 

--

964 Carrera 4 --  997.2 C2S , -20mm --  991 GT3 RS 

Gnil:
    Mithras:

My wife does not want a Volvo Smiley

And that in a nut shell is why Volvo has such a hard time. The whole "Honestly! Try it, I know it's a Volvo but..."

I think it will take another generation to fix/change.

--

Don't overlook the new interior of the GLS, it seems fantastic... Still thinking about a red GLS AMG 63 to replace the very old Q7... Or a 550...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690483 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409755 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256003 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235275 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65649 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858414 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774688 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM