Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche Carrera 911 [991.2] Facelift

Porsche 911 Carrera

The Porsche 911 has been the world's best-selling sports car for decades. Now the new generation has arrived to further extend this lead. With innovative turbo flat engines, an advanced chassis with an even greater spread between performance and comfort and a new infotainment system it is exceedingly well-equipped for this. Thanks to more than four decades of experience with turbo engines - in both motor racing and production sports cars - the new engines in the new 911 Carrera set benchmarks in terms of performance, driving pleasure and efficiency. The rear-axle steering available as an option for the Carrera models for the first time further greatly extends the range of driving dynamics.

Many exterior features of the 911 Carrera have been visually refined: these range from new headlights with four-point daytime running lights to door handles without recess covers, a redesigned rear lid with vertical louvres and new rear lights - including the characteristic four-point brake lights. In the interior the new standard Porsche Communication Management with a multi-touch display offers a considerably expanded range of functions and greatly simplified operation.

New turbocharged engines: 20 hp power increase coupled with lower fuel consumption

The completely new engine generation with bi-turbo charging raises the emotional driving pleasure in the 911 Carrera to an even more intensive experience: 370 hp (272 kW) of power at the rear of the 911 Carrera is waiting to be unleashed and converted into sporty propulsion. The engine in the 911 Carrera S now delivers 420 hp (309 kW). In both cases this represents a power increase of 20 hp (15 kW). Both engines have a displacement of three litres. The greater power of the 911 Carrera S results from turbochargers with modified compressors, a specific exhaust system and tuned engine management.

The new Porsche engines are characterised by significantly increased torque (60 Nm in each case) with maximum torque of 450 Nm and 500 Nm respectively delivered constantly from a low 1,700 rpm up to 5,000 rpm in both cases, thus ensuring excellent driving performance. At the same time with a maximum speed of 7,500 rpm the new engine generation clearly exceeds the top speeds of conventional turbo engines - underscored by the typical sonorous Porsche engine sound.

Every new 911 generation boasts enhanced performance and efficiency compared with the predecessor. For example, depending on the model variant, the new engine generation is almost twelve percent more efficient: fuel consumption is reduced by up to a litre per 100 kilometres. The 911 Carrera with PDK transmission now consumes just 7.4 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (a reduction of 0.8 l per 100 km), while the 911 Carrera S with PDK consumes 7.7 l/100 km (1.0 l less per 100 km).

The new 911 also boasts impressive performance: the 911 Carrera Coupé with Porsche-Doppelkupplung (PDK) and Sport Chrono Package sprints from zero to 100 km/h in 4.2 seconds - making it two tenths of a second faster than its predecessor. The 911 Carrera S with PDK and Sport Chrono Package performs its showcase discipline in just 3.9 seconds (also 0.2 s faster). This means that it is the first 911 in the Carrera family to undercut the magic four second mark. And the top speeds of both models have also increased further: the 911 Carrera now has a top speed of 295 km/h (an increase of six km/h), while the 911 Carrera S now even reaches 308 km/h (an increase of four km/h).

In conjunction with the optional Sport Chrono Package the 911 Carrera now has a mode switch on the steering wheel for the first time, derived from the hybrid mode switch of the 918 Spyder. The mode switch consists of a rotary ring with four positions for the driving modes "Normal", "Sport", "Sport Plus" and "Individual". Depending on the equipment, the latter setting enables drivers to configure their own individual vehicle set-up, for example the PASM, active engine mounts, PDK shifting strategy and sports exhaust system. In combination with PDK transmission the mode switch has an additional button, the "Sport Response Button". When this button is pressed the drivetrain is pre-conditioned for maximum acceleration for 20 seconds, for example before overtaking manoeuvres. For this, the optimum gear is engaged and the engine management adjusted to an even more spontaneous response for a short time.

A standard feature: reengineered PASM chassis lowers the ride height by ten millimetres

The 911 Carrera is the benchmark for driving dynamics of all-round sports cars. With every new generation Porsche further increases the spread between everyday comfort and circuit performance. For the first time, the new PASM chassis (Porsche Active Suspension Management), which lowers the ride height by ten millimetres, is a standard feature on board all Carrera models. It further improves stability during fast cornering. At the same time the new shock absorber generation with its wider spread characteristics enhance comfort thanks to an even more precise response characteristic and also improve the body connection during dynamic driving. New standard wheels with five slim twin spokes carry tyres with reduced rolling resistance and enhanced performance. Furthermore, on all variants the width of the rear rims has increased by 0.5 to 11.5 inches and the rear tyres of the 911 Carrera S now measure 305 instead of 295 millimetres.

The active rear-axle steering that is available as an option for the 911 Carrera S is chassis technology adopted from the 911 Turbo and 911 GT3. It further enhances the turn-in behaviour of the 911. In addition, it makes for high driving stability when changing lanes at high speeds. At the same time it ensures greater manoeuvrability in city traffic thanks to the turning circle reduced by 0.5 metres. The improved handling is transmitted to the driver via the new steering wheel generation with a design based on the steering wheel of the 918 Spyder. The basic steering wheel has a diameter of 375 millimetres; the optional GT sports steering wheel measures 360 millimetres. For unlimited everyday practicality Porsche offers a hydraulic lift system with integrated lifting cylinders in the struts of the front axle. Pressing a button increases the ground clearance at the front by 40 millimetres within 5 seconds and thus prevents the vehicle underbody from hitting the ground, for example on steep garage exits.

New Porsche Communication Management including online navigation

A standard feature of the new 911 Carrera models is the newly developed Porsche Communication Management System (PCM) including online navigation module and voice control. The PCM can be operated by performing multi-touch gestures on the seven-inch display, similar to operating a smartphone. User inputs by handwriting are possible, for instance. Mobile phones and smartphones can now also be connected via Wi-Fi. The smartphone tray being integrated for the first time in the centre armrest also offers battery-saving charging and optimised mobile phone reception. Also new is the option of connecting an iPhone to the PCM to use Apple CarPlay.

Real-time traffic information is available for significantly improved navigation. It gives the driver a quick overview of the traffic situation and guarantees dynamic adaptation of the route to this information. Google Earth and Google Streetview are also being integrated for the first time to offer better orientation. Other components of the PCM are Porsche Car Connect and the Porsche Connect app, which can be used for such functions as remote control of vehicle functions, transfer of destinations to the PCM for navigation and use of music streaming services by third-party providers via the PCM.

New and extended optional assistance systems

The 911 Carrera can now be customised even more precisely according to personal preferences with further new and improved assistance systems: the optional automatic speed control can now also brake moderately when the pre-set speed is exceeded, for example when driving downhill. The Adaptive Cruise Control ACC (option) now has a coasting function in conjunction with a PDK transmission. When driving in a queue the clutches are disengaged, thus saving fuel with unpowered coasting. The optional lane change assistant monitors traffic behind with radar and uses LED lamps in the left and right of the mirror triangle to warn the driver about approaching vehicles in the blind spot. In addition, Porsche increases the active safety of the sports car with the post-collision braking system as a standard feature.

Market launch in December 2015

The new Porsche 911 Carrera models will be launched in Germany on December 12, 2015 at the following prices including VAT and country-specific equipment:

• 911 Carrera - 96,605 euros
    • 911 Carrera S - 110,766 euros
    • 911 Carrera Cabriolet - 109,695 euros
    • 911 Carrera S Cabriolet - 123,856 euros

40 years' turbo experience in motorsport and series production

At Porsche, innovations and developments that have proved themselves under extreme racing conditions always benefit production models, too. Testing in motorsport in particular ensures the performance and resilience of new engines for production sports cars. In the development of charged six-cylinder flat engines Porsche can therefore look back on more than 40 years' experience. For example, turbocharging with a bypass valve was first used in 1972 in the 917/10 racing car before entering series production two years later in 1974 in the first 911 Turbo. In 1974 charge air cooling was also first introduced in the 917/10. In 1977 this technology then celebrated its premiere in the 911 Turbo 3.3. Further milestones in the development of turbo engines include sequential turbocharging with two consecutive chargers (for the first time in the super car 959), bi-turbo charging with two parallel chargers (for the first time in the 911 Turbo, type 993) and adjustable intake valves (for the first time in the 911 Turbo, type 996).

--

2008 Porsche Boxster S PDE2
    2012 Porsche Cayenne S [gone but never forgotten]

Re: OFFICIAL: 2016 Porsche 911 [991.2]

I like the tail lights, but not the other exterior changes.

I like it!

Looks great, but it's not even on Porsche.de yet? Is this officially offical info? I mean of course it is, it's the real renders from Porsche.. I just want more pictures, more detail shots of this thing. I like it a lot, especially the new tail lights. Even a base Carrera looks amazing, special and sporty.. a long ways away from that ugly 996 base Carrera. 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

unfortunately no info on 991.2 Turbo models....

Atzporsche:

Looks great, but it's not even on Porsche.de yet? Is this officially offical info?

From above: 

Market launch in December 2015 

Wonder how they are cooling the intercoolers without outside air inlets.

--

Whoopsy:

Is it related to that vent in the rear bumper (just aft of the rear wheels)?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    Whoopsy:

That's the air exit, where is the entrance? 

On 'normal' 911 Turbos, the side vents on the rear fenders provide fresh 'cool' air intake for the intercoolers and those air exits at the same spot on the 991.2. 

It would seems the intercoolers are drawing air from the engine compartment via the rear deck, that means 'warmer' air from the engine heat. Tune-ability of the turbos just dropped a couple notches. 

--

Whoopsy:
    Grant:
    Whoopsy:

That's the air exit, where is the entrance? 

On 'normal' 911 Turbos, the side vents on the rear fenders provide fresh 'cool' air intake for the intercoolers and those air exits at the same spot on the 991.2. 

It would seems the intercoolers are drawing air from the engine compartment via the rear deck, that means 'warmer' air from the engine heat. Tune-ability of the turbos just dropped a couple notches. 

that's probably the engineering based reason for the generally disliked vertical engine grill strakes ...to " waterfall "  the intake air as per this illustration , at the expense of pulling in warmed air exhausted from the engine , especially at in town speeds , vs the " Turbo " whose side scoop air intakes are always pulling in " cold " air , irrespective of speed 

So that's it, huh?  Hmmm.... 

Where were we with that discussion about yachts???  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Real studio pics from Autocar...

More pics>

honestly it does nothing for me....

I really like, what I see. Even the base Carrera has presence now.

So what's the story of the two central exhausts?

neunelf:

Optional Sport exhaust 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

It's a nice evolution. It doesn't get me all hot and bothered, but it is......nice.

Gnil:
    neunelf:

Optional Sport exhaust 

Thank you Gnil. Has Porsche confirmed this yet? It seems strange that they don't talk about it under visual changes. 

It's now official on the website!

Boyko23:

It's now official on the website!

And it confirms the sports exhausts (€2.606 in Germany). Thank you. 

Car looks really good IMVHO. I like all the (small) aesthetic changes.

Now lets wait and see how the engines "feel" like.

Turbo feel, muted sound and 40 kg heavier?

The value of my 997.2 just went up. indecision

1441612602234image.jpg

Mode switch on the multifunctional GT Sports steering wheel for four driving modes – plus SPORT Response button for maximum responsiveness. kiss

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, PCCB, Full Buckets

redline at 7,4 K revs

First impressions:

I like the rear bumper air vents behind the wheels on the rear view, but doesn't look right on the side view, like its unfinished, probably just one of those things that in real life it will look OK.

Front looks good, but the sportdesign version of the front bumper or GT3 version will look great.

Did I hear right? 40Kg heavier? wow! 997 was the same weight as 996, 991 was even lighter than the 997 and now boom 40kg. Guess its another drawback from the turbocharged engine ... and 60nm torque increase? wasn't it supposed to be 100nm?

Don't like the mode switch of the steering wheel, looks like an aftermarket screwed on bit. I'm sure they will find a much better integrated and fluid solution on the next generation, this looks like a last minute add on solution..

PCM screen looks nice and very well integrated into the console.

Not convinced about the sport exhaust pipes in the middle but not quite on the center, can't get the Audi TT or Renault Megane GT out of my head when I see them. Maybe in reall life it will be different?

I like the new rear lights!

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Official 0-200km/h for CS with LC is 12.9s

Official Ring time with SPASM/PDCC, PDK, RWS on street P Zeros is 7.34min or 6s faster then 991.1CS with all drive goodies. 

New options that will be introduced with C4/C4S models will include 450ps power kit, new sport design kit and new aero kit.

Btw, German price list and catalogue are on German Porsche web site in pdf.

Anyone have the co2 numbers?

every article is giving the co2 output as a reason for going turbo but nobody is giving the new co2 output yes

Can't help the feeling this 991.2 is going to be like the 996.1... the one to carry over a big change which needed another generation to get it right, and once that next generation is out it will be left as one of the least desirable 911 versions, like 1the 996, caught between the classic aircooled 993 and the modern 997. This 991.2 feels like an interim solution that will lack what the previous 997-991.1 had and what the next 992 gen will bring fully developed in a new gen, and thus once the 992 is out, will be left in a bad in between place.

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Seems that the rear-lights my be able to be retrofitted to the 991.1.... never worked before but this time it looks very much like similar dimensions.

I like it very much. kiss

--

Porsche 911 GT3 - Guards Red 997 MKII Clubsport

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662517 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401285 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229248 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59625 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853568 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761998 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM