Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991.2 and future models Thread Closed

RC:
    spudgun:

I feel for you. In my street almost every garage packs an AMG, 911 or classic sportscar. Friendly petrolhead neigbourhood, like every street in the world should be.

One of my neighbors got himself a 12C and had serious problems with the neighborhood for months, it even went up to the major. Smiley His "mistake": The car is yellow and apparently very loud (sport exhaust). He left it always in front of his house instead of parking it inside the garage, kind of a red flag for the people living around him. Now everything seems to be back to normal but me and my wife were really surprised how vicious and mean people could be. They didn't do any damage to the car but they escalated the whole thing to a level where even the major and the local police were involved, which is absolutely ridiculous. Smiley Car was technically "approved" and once the neighbors learned that (and his wife brought them muffins and cake to apologize), things calmed down. It wasn't pretty though. 

I had a neighbor stopping me and asking me to slow down (I was doing 25 in a 30 kph zone Smiley). He didn't believe me, so I reacted very angry (not insulting him though, this is not my style). Since that time (three years or so ago), he doesn't greet, I do not greet and everything is just fine. Smiley Welcome to a small catholic German town in Bavaria.

Can't be too Catholic, jealousy and lust are sins.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJgI9zKuKeE

Ow SH!T If I didn't know better, I would think that even the new 911 turbo will get a turbocharged engine!!! no

Oh, wait... 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

That 4 cylinder Boxster sounds not so bad

--

SportCarGroup:

......unless one prefers heavy metal music Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIwPmpfRLE
    --

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Porsche-Jeck:
    SportCarGroup:

......unless one prefers heavy metal music Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuIwPmpfRLE
    --

public roads: Porsche 981S white/black/red, toll road Smiley : Porsche 997 GT3 Arctic/Black

Actualy I do prefer "heavy metal" music, but since with the new Boxster turbocharged engine we have no choice... i thought that its doesn't sound too bad Smiley

--

Growing up, the SL was one of my favorite cars. But man O man is the latest generation an absolute disproportionate mess. I'm also pretty shocked that design actually made it to production.

I like the front of the Turbo much more then the one before 

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

DaveChapin:

Growing up, the SL was one of my favorite cars. But man O man is the latest generation an absolute disproportionate mess. I'm also pretty shocked that design actually made it to production.

Polarizing design seems an attribute at many automakers and the SL is one of the more offensive designs.  For a car ladened with such technology it is almost incomprehensible that Mercedes-Benz would allow such an arcane, and unpalatable, model reach production.  However, many Mercedes designs have significant design flaws.  Look closely at the S-Class Coupé, it looks stunning at a distance but as you get closer, the design has slashes and cut lines that are inexcusable for the price.  

Well it's not like the rear of the new AMG-GT is very well designed either...

SciFrog:

Well it's not like the rear of the new AMG-GT is very well designed either...

Mercedes-Benz design is just strange and weirdly proportioned.  Every time I see an up E Class in side profile, my eyes are almost immediately drawn to the area between the grille and the bonnet, that is simply a poorly conceived line.

And yet they still look way better than any BMW angry and this is coming from someone who never cared whatsoever for Mercedes designs in the past.

There are still a few good BMW designs IMO.

I like the 6-series coupe, the 2-series 2 door ( a direct descendant of the 80s 3-series) and the i8.

The rest I don't even notice.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

I like the 6-series coupe, the 2-series 2 door ( a direct descendant of the 80s 3-series) and the i8.

The rest I don't even notice.

+1, except for i8 which is too fussy

i8 looks perfect here in sunny high tech Silicon Valley ...maybe not so much squeezed between double deckers at trawling speed in front Harrods on a rainy day

There are two i8 near where I live, one white/blue and one silver/blue. I like the design a lot. It is avant-garde but without the risk of looking excessively overstyled . It is conspicuous but it also blends well with other traffic. IMO it has all the elements of becoming a future classic.

--

"Form follows function"

MKSGR:
    KresoF1:

991.2 Turbo S with minimal camo...

On the picture from Zuffenhausen (in front of the Porsche museum) they also installed the new turbo Smiley turbo presentation seems to be at the IAA as well SmileySmiley

First turbo/turbo S deliveries expected for January 2016, BTW Smiley

reginos:

There are two i8 near where I live, one white/blue and one silver/blue. I like the design a lot. It is avant-garde but without the risk of looking excessively overstyled . It is conspicuous but it also blends well with other traffic. IMO it has all the elements of becoming a future classic.

I agree . Up close it looks like an alien space vehicle , but in opposing traffic at speed , it just has a " normal " sporty car appearing front and side view silhouette , not something " KRAZEE " like a Lambo Aventador , so it will age well to become a collector item decades from now . 

BTW, like the deridied flame surfacing BMW used 15 years ago ( and which many current MBZ models seem possesed with ) notice how the i8 's controversial floating canopy roof via delinking the rearmost pillar from the body below has already been copped by the mainstream in cars you can buy now such as the Nissan Murano cute ute : 

MKW:
    reginos:

I agree . Up close it looks like an alien space vehicle , but in opposing traffic at speed , it just has a " normal " appearing front and normal appearing sports car like silhouette , not something " KRAZEE " like a Lambo Aventador , so will age well to become a collector item decades from now 

trouble is, it won't be a working collectors item as the batteries will be kaput and there will be no replacements or replacements will cost a fortune

sfo:
    MKW:
    reginos:

I agree . Up close it looks like an alien space vehicle , but in opposing traffic at speed , it just has a " normal " appearing front and normal appearing sports car like silhouette , not something " KRAZEE " like a Lambo Aventador , so will age well to become a collector item decades from now 

trouble is, it won't be a working collectors item as the batteries will be kaput and there will be no replacements or replacements will cost a fortune

None of today's cars will work in 40 years, as many of the scores of CPUs inside them will have been roasted with no replacements anywhere , unlike current 40+ year old collectible cars which are all made of and run by " analog atoms " , not " digital electrons " ...that is the MAJOR difference ! 

I'm sure in 40 years there will be an flourishing industry replicating all sorts of CPU for your vintage 991 and 458. Where there is demand, supply follows.

In the meantime, buy any you can lay your hands on from wrecks and store them in a cool, dry place

spudgun:

I'm sure in 40 years there will be an flourishing industry replicating all sorts of CPU for your vintage 991 and 458. Where there is demand, supply follows.

The problem is that these CPUs are developed by different suppliers and may or may not communicate or negatively affect other CPUs if you just plug a future aftermarket  " replacement " CPU  for an obvious problem , esp with hacking now a developing software issue , good luck  in 40 yrs having many replacement " aftermarket " CPUs running the car in perfectly harmonized OEM fashion ! 

Look at OEMs now ...the billions of dollars of Ford and Microsoft research resulted in a the panned and embarrassingly withdrawn infotainment system that was introduced 3-4 yrs ago in their cars  to much fanfare ! 

Porsche will make available parts including ECUs, for their sportscars at least, for many decades after production ceases.

I am certain about this judging by this navigation module which they bothered to introduce for the classic cars since the 1965 911s! My compliments to Porsche for their Classic Department.

preview.jpg

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

Porsche will make available parts including ECUs, for their sportscars at least, for many decades after production ceases.

I am certain about this judging by this navigation module which they bothered to introduce for the classic cars since the 1965 911s! My compliments to Porsche for their Classic Department.

preview.jpg

No ECU needed for the car in that photo (engine runs on a purely mechanical analog computer - Bosch Mechanical Fuel Injection) Smiley

It is cool that Porsche made an audio/nav head unit that pretty closely resembles the old Becker radio (suits the look of the car and requires no cutting).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

reginos:

preview.jpg

This " vintage " two knob style DIN radio navi head unit, totally isolated from the rest of this analog era car, is the equivalent of mounting an iPhone to the center console ...far removed from your certainty that 40 years from now, Porsche will still be producing and stocking 60 yrs worth of thousands  of CPUs from their ever expanding model line !

in fact , your example actually shows you how easily upgradable or fixable  old analog cars are , since there is no complicated networked workaround needed for this product 

Exactly!

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2014 Mercedes A45 AMG - 2013 Mini Cooper S

MKW:
    reginos:

preview.jpg

This " vintage " two knob style DIN radio navi head unit, totally isolated from the rest of this analog era car, is the equivalent of mounting an iPhone to the center console ...far removed from your certainty that 40 years from now, Porsche will still be producing and stocking 60 yrs worth of thousands  of CPUs from their ever expanding model line !

in fact , your example actually shows you how easily upgradable or fixable  old analog cars are , since there is no complicated networked workaround needed for this product 

I think the unit stylistically fits very well. Its availability shows the attention old cars receive at Porsche, an ethos that will continue in time, for the sportscars. About the SUVs there can be doubts. Who will want to keep a 30+ year Cayenne alive, anyway?

Also the customer demand for a navigation module is proof that so many older Porsche are still in normal circulation around the world. This is partly because they are robust cars and partly because Porsche AG have this philosophy to make available parts for their cars almost indefinitely something which will continue.

Anyway, we'll speak again in 60 years  from now when I will want to replace my PDK car's control unit Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

preview.jpg

I have seen this mounted on a 964 3.6 Turbo at my dealer 

They now have a  special mechanic that does only the vintage cars . The market is booming .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688371 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408639 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255490 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234736 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65363 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4634 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857517 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773259 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM