Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

Whoopsy:

Loved the LWB, while they are the same seats as in the 918, in the GT3RS they are a little bit more lean back, and that tiny bit lean makes all the difference in the world, even my wife said oh these are nice. 

that's really good to know, thanks.

sfo:
    Whoopsy:

Loved the LWB, while they are the same seats as in the 918, in the GT3RS they are a little bit more lean back, and that tiny bit lean makes all the difference in the world, even my wife said oh these are nice. 

I was thinking that adding just a little more rake would be even better.  I wonder if it's possible to mount the seats with washers or spacers under the front mounting tabs (maybe with slightly longer bolts)?  Maybe that's too risky for liability reasons?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

throt:

Congrats, Whoopsy.

Thats my only complaint with my 991GT3, lack of torque. However, thats part and parcel of the lump, it loves to be worked.

Enjoy in good health....

The Porsche NA engines are just begging to stay above 3-4k rpm. that's where the real fun starts. Quite different than my giant Ferrari V12s, they are just as happy lumping along at 1500 rpm as they are at 6k. 

--

Grant:
    sfo:
    Whoopsy:

I was thinking that adding just a little more rake would be even better.  I wonder if it's possible to mount the seats with washers or spacers under the front mounting tabs (maybe with slightly longer bolts)?  Maybe that's too risky for liability reasons?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

In the RS? While there are tons of room to lean the seat back, I am not sure about the strength of the replacement bolts in a crash scenario. 

--

Some interesting tidbits about the weight of the car.

Porsche spec the weight of the GT3RS to be at 1420kg per DIN standard, but when they report to the Government of Canada, the RS magically gain a few and stands at 1520kg.

For comparison, my 918 is reported at 1695kg, vs Porsche's own 1634kg for Weissach car and 1675kg DIN weight. TO be fair, my Weissach car has everything added back, only lightweight options left were the Magnesium wheels and the titanium bolts.

My F12 is reported at 1633kg, vs Ferrari's claim of 1524kg dry, 1630kg curb.

My FF is at 1678kg vs 1790kg dry, 1880kg curb. <- This is the big surprise!

Interestingly, my G63 is reported at 2550kg, right on the Mercedes published EU weight.

--

Haha, on weights, someone on Fchat weight the LaFerrari at 1650kg, there goes another 'lightweight' myth. It is not much lighter than the 918.

--

Whoopsy:

Porsche spec the weight of the GT3RS to be at 1420kg per DIN standard, but when they report to the Government of Canada, the RS magically gain a few and stands at 1520kg.

There are two "common" European standards for the weight of cars, the DIN standard already mentioned and the newer ISO standard, which allows for the same car contents as DIN plus 75kg for driver and some provision for light luggage. Based on your info above, the ISO weight for the GT3 RS should therefore be 1495kg.
    The declared Canadian market certification weight of 1520kg would suggest that the Canadian regs call for an additional 25kg allowance above the usual ISO figure, for instance?  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:

The declared Canadian market certification weight of 1520kg would suggest that the Canadian regs call for an additional 25kg allowance above the usual ISO figure, for instance?  Smiley

it's because the 90 liter fuel tank takes more fuel?

sfo:
    fritz:

There is an allowance for fuel in both DIN and ISO weights (90% of the full tank capacity, IIRC), so that could well be the explanation for two differing certification weights being quoted for the same basic model which is available with two different tank sizes as an option.

--

fritz

Whoopsy:

In the RS? While there are tons of room to lean the seat back, I am not sure about the strength of the replacement bolts in a crash scenario. 

Yes, you would certainly want to use very high quality bolts (these are easily available from a place like Fastenal, local outlet here in town).  You can order almost anything, including very high strength steel alloys or even Titanium.

--

sfo:
    fritz:

Extra 30L of fuel works out to be around 22kg.

--

fritz:
    Whoopsy:

There are two "common" European standards for the weight of cars, the DIN standard already mentioned and the newer ISO standard, which allows for the same car contents as DIN plus 75kg for driver and some provision for light luggage. Based on your info above, the ISO weight for the GT3 RS should therefore be 1495kg.

Can't find the Canadian import regulation on declared weight, they don't really published the regulations but manufacturers all know how and what to declare. 

--

Whoopsy, when Area 27 opens will they have calibrated scales? I thin kit would be interesting to take a bunch of cars, fill them all with gas and otherwise have them empty of luggage but in regular driving condition and weigh them all. I think everyone would be in for a big surprise for a number of cars!

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Oh, some more driving impressions.

It seems the RS rides better with the suspension in firm (sports) setting.

In normal mode, the car bobbles quite a bit, over bumpy roads or speed bumps. But when in sports mode, the 'impact' while firmer and more jarring, the oscillation is gone immediately after the initial 'hit'. The sports mode is still 'softer' than the normal mode in my 918 however.

More on the LWBs.

Those seats are a challenge to get into in the 918 with the tiny door opening, I already had my seat set to the lowest setting. In the RS, I also had the seat at it's lowest point, it is a tiny bit of challenge to get in, but with the bigger door opening it's almost nothing. But if the seat is adjusted higher up, the side of the seat will definitely gets in the way, and my butt will 'fall' straight down onto the seat cushion after getting over the side. But once in, I don't really want to get out :)

--

Whoopsy, thanks for your write-ups, they are invaluable! Looking forward to Atomic80's photoshoot, it will be epic! Smiley

Nick, your dealer needs a talking to. He should have provided you with a full tank of gas. Most San Diego dealers provide a full tank of gas.

As I posted earlier and you are now experiencing the GT3 and RS aren't much to talk about below 5000rpm's. Once you get over 6000 the car becomes alive. Below 5000 the exhaust sound carries the day and makes you feel like your in a proper sports car.

Finally, why concern yourself with the weight of the car? It's not like your going to return it to the dealer.indecision

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Nick, it's my fault, the car came in late the day before, they did the PDI in the morning, had it detailed and I walked in to pick up the car, they were suppose to provide a full tank of gas, told me I could take their company card to fill up but I declined, I REALLY REALLY want to drive this thing.

Now that I have almost 24hrs with the car and put on 70+km, I think I can compare it with my old Speciale. 

The Speciale is a Ferrari, a mid engine V8 Ferrari, it WILL get looked at, the GT3RS is bright orange with a gigantic wing, no one is gonna miss it, so both tied for last place in the discreet department.

Power, not yet, haven't really opens up the engine yet, gearbox-wise, I will take the Speciale one. The PDK is great in my 918, but I feel like in the RS there is some hesitation from rest, especially in traffic, as if the car can't decide if it wants to slip the clutch for smoothness or just bang it in for control, the throttle tip in is also abrupt, I think the car is telling me to man handle it, the RS simply doesn't like being babied around.

Suspension tuning also goes to the Ferrari, perfect body control over bumps with the magnetorheological shocks, doesn't matter it's in normal or soft, the car simply doesn't bobble around. 

I can totalling live with the RS's interior, it is not as bare as the Speciale, and even with the big wing rearward visibility is still better than the Speciale, I only wish Porsche put parking sensors or camera on the car like the Speciale though.

As I said before, the RS suffers greatly on 'tram lining' on roadways, the extra wide tires just love to follow the ruts, Speciale with the narrower front tires doesn't have that problem. But the extra front tires means I can just throw it in a corner for turn-ins, it just grabs and go, so much fun. The Speciale is more agile with the mid engine layout but I think the RS is more fun to drive. 

The RS is not a quiet car, the car is full of crackles and creaks from the engine, but it doesn't drone badly like the Speciale, Porsche wins the sound from the inside department. 

--

Congrats on the car, Nick.  It is absolutely fantastic!

How far out (construction schedule) is that track you were talking about a while back?  

Schedule to be drivable next spring

oh sneak peek:

1440121441552image.jpg

--

Congrats Nick !! can't wait to keep reading about your experience , you and Dario are really taking us vicarious lifers for a ride. Also looking forward to the Atomic shoot, your 918 shoot covered me in wallpapers for a long while, guess it's time to change it up again. 

Congrats & many thanks Nick for all the reports kiss.

Really great to read all the driving impressions and comparison points to your other cars. Please continue to entertain us while we are waiting for our baby!

--

Cayman GT4 / Awaiting 991 GT3 RS / Gone: 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8, 997.2 GT3, Lotus Exige S, 964 Turbo 3.3

Whoopsy:

Haha, on weights, someone on Fchat weight the LaFerrari at 1650kg, there goes another 'lightweight' myth. It is not much lighter than the 918.

The only explanation left is, the F12 is the lightest V12 in the current Ferrari lineup *Weeeeee* Smiley

I hate to say this, but the additional KERS / Hybrid system is to blame for the extra weight on all 3 hypercars.

I thought that real light weight was an objective of the past for car manufacturers.

Not feasible anymore given the new technologies and the new safety requirements and within the cost/price constraints. The only cars which have lost weight are some dinosaurs like the Q7, the previous Cayenne etc.

However, being heavier is not an anathema with modern AWD, AWS and other tricks. Look at the 918 and in terms of ordinary cars the GT-R which was the fastest and the heaviest in its time.

--

"Form follows function"

I have the same problem with the PDK. Occasionally, when starting slow in first gear (while in sport manual) it seems to hesitate and suddenly lurch forward. Often going from 1st to 2nd gear the car abruptly launches forward. When I mentioned this to the service department they told me it was normal.Smiley

Also, when I first got the car I wrote how it sounded like the entire car was falling apart. There are noises from everywhere. But I am told this is a race car and quite normal. You get use to it.

Nick, the car will not disappoint. Once you are able to take it close to its limits it is a blast.Smiley

--

nberry:

I have the same problem with the PDK. Occasionally, when starting slow in first gear (while in sport manual) it seems to hesitate and suddenly lurch forward. Often going from 1st to 2nd gear the car abruptly launches forward. When I mentioned this to the service department they told me it was normal.Smiley

Also, when I first got the car I wrote how it sounded like the entire car was falling apart. There are noises from everywhere. But I am told this is a race car and quite normal. You get use to it.

Nick, the car will not disappoint. Once you are able to take it close to its limits it is a blast.Smiley

--

Mine relates to all that above, Nick. Mine sounds like a load of metals tools rattling around in a big bag when pulling away on a cold engine. Clutch clatter however appears to have subsided a bit as the miles go on.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

Perfect description!kiss

--

reginos:

I thought that real light weight was an objective of the past for car manufacturers.

Not feasible anymore given the new technologies and the new safety requirements and within the cost/price constraints. The only cars which have lost weight are some dinosaurs like the Q7, the previous Cayenne etc.

However, being heavier is not an anathema with modern AWD, AWS and other tricks. Look at the 918 and in terms of ordinary cars the GT-R which was the fastest and the heaviest in its time.

Making a car under 3000 .lbs is totally feasible these days, particularly as CRFP becomes available in large scale production.  But people are impressed by one-trick ponies like like the GTR that can do 3-4 laps at a time.  They also want more equipment in the cabin than they used to.  Much of the 918's sublime performance is due to the torque.  Tire technology has come along tremendously, but the 918 isn't really achieving its sublime performance through cornering.

As an aside, what is the common refrain I keep hearing from my GT3 friends?  Too fast to really exploit on the street.  There is a reason that cars like Singer will sell for over $500k.  I think manufacturers would be better off now focusing on reducing weight and increasing fun factor.  600-700hp is just not usable in today's world on anywhere but a race track or for short bursts.  

Congrats Nick!

I can confirm all what you told,and also for me there is a lack of torque respect my former tuned 997TT,but now that i'm near 900 kms done,i start to know better the car and the engine...and is FUN,another world respect a 911 Turbo...so i "forgot" the torque,i put a gear less and is damn fast too!!

make the good boy,open a new thread with pictures,it is worth!

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:

make the good boy,open a new thread with pictures,it is worth!

Hijacking existing threads is my M.O. Smiley

Did a morning run with my PCA chapter:

IMG_4560.JPG

But the damn car is so intoxicating to drive, much more so than my 918 to be honest. I kept driving all morning and put on 300km total. I didn't want to stop at all, but my bladder tells me otherwise Smiley

I think I exercised the car properly though:

IMG_4561.JPG

--

Wow, thats a big compliment from you, being a owner of a 918.

Its got to be the hardest car to run in because all the fun is above 5500rpm. GT3 / RS are 2 cars in one, they can be civil and evil, brilliant.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689958 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409447 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255840 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235074 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65586 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4651 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858196 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774313 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM