Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

RoadTest Review - 991 Carrera GTS

Rear.logo.jpg

Three years ago I posted a roadtest the 991 CarreraS when iit came out on the market that you can view here (991 CarreraS RoadTest: https://www.rennteam.com/forum/thread/20295064/ROADTEST_New_991_CarreraS/page1.html  ).

Now I hope to be able to transmit my impressions and experience with the 991 Carrera GTS and bring you as close to it as possible, from the point of view of fellow sportscar fan, not a journalist.

Since the 991 generation has been out for a while we are all quite familiar with its differences with the 997 by now,, so in this review I will try concentrate more on the differences between the GTS and the regular 991 CarreraS, although I will still compare it in general with the 997 generation.

In this case as many of you know, the GTS used is my own that recently arrived from our Mecca, the Zuffenhausen  factory.

As a fan of high-revving screaming atmospheric engines, their linear power delivery, their instant-direct throttle, their unmatched exhaust sound, and high engine speed nature, I decided I had to replace my 997 now before the downsized turbocharged engines were the only option anymore and atmospheric engines would disappear thanks to the EU bureaucrat’s strict future CO2 and mileage regulations.

This and the fact that precisely at this time the GTS model version was being offered, my second favorite model in the 911 lineup after the GT3, made the choice very clear for me. Fortunately I was still in time to get a GTS allocation and optioned it to my liking.

(Click on the images to see them in better quality since the forum software poorly resizes them automatically when embeded)

Side-Torrona2.jpg

Re: 991 Carrera GTS - Extensive RoadTest Review

EXTERIOR

When looking at the GTS’ exterior the first thing that stands out is the color combination of the GTS Carmine Red and matte black wheels. The Carmine Red is  a darker that the regular Guards Red, which in my opinion results in a more elegant red and less in your face while still remaining sporty.

top.casa.jpg

The wheels of the GTS are the 20” wheels that  up until now were exclusive to the Turbo S, but finished in matte  black (or shiny silk as Porsche calls it) exclusively in the GTS. The wheels in black looks really good when combined with the exterior red, the only other case in which I like black wheels are in white body cars. A bonus is that these  wheels do not look dirty with the build up of brake pad dust since it’s not the same color but also due to matte black finish. And  they whole is completed with the calipers being red matching the bodywork.

These wheels come with centerlocks as well, like in the GT3 or TurboS. The centerlocks even though derived from motorsports to allow for a faster tire change and also decrease the rotational masses compared to the traditional lug nuts, in these street versions the centerlocks are more an aesthetic element than anything else because they do not provide quicker or easier wheel changes in this case and the decrease in the rotational mass of the centerlock in iis offset by the reinforcement the street wheel need around it compared to the five lug nuts. That said as an aesthetic  element it could not look better, they really stand out when looking at the car since they are not common and add to the sportiness of the car.

1438692091241Centre-locks.jpg

The second thing that stands out in  the GTS is the extra width of the rear wheel arches since the GTS even in its RDW version comes with the 44mm wider widebody of the GT3 and AWD versions.

Also the lack of chromed elements is another thing that make it look sportier than the regular Carrera. The word sportier is a word that I will be repeating a lot when talking about the exterior, interior and driving experience, the downside is that for this reason it grabs a bit more attention than I like when I’m driving enjoying the car.

For example in the exterior, lots of shiny metal elements have been replaced by black ones, from the rear engine cover to the headlight covers and their corresponding washer heads, or the wheels, or the read model designation letters, or the exhaust tips that come in black chrome.

front.side-baiona1.jpg

The GTS comes with the SportDesign side mirrors like the ones in the GTS. Apart from their more sporty design they are also smaller than the standard ones which is nice.

The front bumper is also the SportDesign bumper, which is not only lower than the standard Carrera bumper and reduces buoyancy increasing stability at higher speed, but also comes painted down to the bottom lip, which is part of the bumper and not a removable black lip.

front.side-tecla2.jpg

The headlights come darkened in the GTS, and the headlight washer heads come in black instead of chrome. This in combination with the black wheels and intakes makes the front end look sportier and less shiny. It also comes standard with Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) which rotates the lights into the corners to increase visibility in curves and also adapts the intensity of the beam according to the speed.

And to finish with the front end, another detail that is different from the std Carrera is that the lateral bumper turn signals and LED in the GTS.

The trunk of the GTS is 125 liters, which is the same as the other widebody AWD versions and GT3, but a  bit less than the RWD Carreras which have 145 liters.

trunk.jpg

Following the “sportier” theme of the GTS, the GTS does not come with sunroof so that the roof line looks cleaner. This works with me since personally I’m not a fan of sunroofs in the 911, in my previous 997S I opted with the factory sunroof delete option, its something I don’t use when driving because of the buffeting and noise, it adds weight, often develop rattles and while not the case of the 991 generation, they decrease headroom in the 997/996 versions.

In the rear, the major changes in the GTS is the read engine cover which is a more classic design and in black, with the outer part of the ribs in shinier black, this makes it stand out more to give it a sportier touch to the rear. To give the GTS’ a more distinguishing touch they also added a matching black rear grill were the AWD versions have the reflector between the rear headlights. The exhaust tips come in chrome black in the GTS as well.

Rear-tecla2.jpg

The rear spoiler remains unchanged in the GTS which I like since I’m not a fan of rear wings (save for the GT3), however an interesting detail is that the spoiler in the GTS raises to a higher position than the Carrera/S, this is to give it more downforce on the rear axle, I’m guessing to balance the SportDesign front bumpers more aggressive aerodynamics effect on the front axle..

Under the engine lid as we  all know there is nothing to see, there wasn’t much to see already on the 996/997 but still, its  a shame.

1438692195460engine.jpg

And finally the last thing about the exterior in the rear is the model designation letters which come in black of course. However so many words there (“Porsche 911 Carrera GTS”)  doesn’t make sense to me and frankly I find it a bit distasteful, so I opted to remove the  “911 Carrera GTS” and just leave GTS in the center.

INTERIOR

The interiors of the different 911 (Carrera, Turbo, Targa, etc) look all very similar, even to other models like Cayman or Boxster, so the combination of black alcantara with the red stitching give the GTS interior a bit of a different fresh look, similar of what happens in the GT3. The carbon fiber bits of the interior as well as the GTS branded elements all over the interior also contribute to that, like in the center sphere of the instrument panel, the headrests, door sills, carpets, etc).

interior3.jpg

gts.collage.jpg

The alcantara, which all over the interior, gives it a sportier look and combined with the red stitching even more. Specifically the alcantara covers the middle of the front and rear seats, the steering wheel, the PDK stick, the center armrest, the doors, the glovebox, and the roof and its pillars. The rest which is not alcantara is black leather.

The seatbelts have a carmine red border that matches the other red accents of the interior, it's a nice touch without making the seatbelts too loud like when they are solid red.

The inside trim strips are in carbon fiber which is the most fitting in such an interior. The only thing is that the finish on the carbon fiber elements is too shiny, would look better if they were matte.

door.panel.jpg

The GTS comes standard with the SportDesign steering wheel, which has a... you guessed it, a sportier design, and with the perfect thickness in my opinion. It also displays SportChono modes and launch control indicators in the radius. What did surprise me was how nice to the touch was having the steering wheel covered in alcantara, and provides great grip.

interior2.jpg

Something very important about the steering wheel is that it has paddles to control the PDK and not the anti-sportive un-ergonomic buttons on the radius. Speaking of buttons, fortunately being a sport steering wheel, there are no button of any type on it, I never liked any on the steering wheel because they sometimes got in the  way when you are changing hand positions quickly and aggressively, and also tend to make the steering wheel bigger in the middle in order to have enough surface to house the buttons.

Another detail in the GTS if you opt for the GTS Interior Package is that the central sphere of the instrument cluster comes in red which compliments very well all the other red touches of the interior (without the GTS Interior Package it would come in black, the same as in the base Carrera, and in the CarreraS it comes in silver color)

instruments.nights.jpg

In general, the interior of the 991 gives the sensation of being a bit more spacious than the 997 and 996, I think due to the fact that the windshield in the 991 is more curved and therefore the center part is more forward, and the fact that the seats have a bit more travel backwards due too the greats distance between axles.

The GTS comes with Sport Seats Plus and the GTS logo engraved in red  stitching on the headrests. I already had these  sportseats in the 997S which we excellent in terms of comfort and lateral support, but I under the impression that they are even a bit better in the GTS, maybe because of the alcantara holds you more in place than regular leather.

interior1.jpg

The doors in the 991 have a bit more storage room than in the 997 with two separate compartments, one is open and the other has a lid which opens laterally, which I quite like better than opening upwards like in the 997.

door.jpg

The SportChrono dial on the dash now works as an analog/digital watch as well as a crono, and not just a chrono like when the 997 came out back in 2004, so at least not the dial is not completely useless.

sport.chrono.dial.jpg

The quality of the interior has improved significantly with respect to the 997, for example the buttons are much better, in the 997 they were not only more simple and generic but also the rubberised coating tended to degrade in time. As is customary in Porsche, all the controls you need to access during driving are laid out in buttons through the console, no need to dive into menus and submenus using joystick or wheel-buttons. Some may not like so many buttons but everything is functional and rapidly accessible via buttons which is important especially in a sportscar, just like on racing cars.

console.jpg

I  still don't like the PDK stick, it is very well built and nicely finished, more so in the GTS because it's covered in alcantara, but that is not the problem, in my opinion this thing is too big, it looks huge in the middle of the console and there is no need for that, it would look sportier if it were smaller, at least the size of the manual stick, and looks more like the stick of a sedan or SUV.

pdk.stick.jpg

The PCM has come a long way since when it was introduced in the 996 Mk-I I had. It has a lot more functions now and the 7” screen has a touch interface, just don’t expect it to react like a tablet or smartphone, it is slower and less responsive, specially trying to scroll through a list or the GPS map, for things like that you are still better of using the wheel-buttons.

That said, the touch feature is very useful to select options very quickly without having to move through the different elements on the screen with the buttons and selecting them. The only thing is that the screen gets more dirty now because of touching it.

With the Mobile Phone Preparation option you basically get Bluetooth connection to your phone. Linking the phone the first time takes two seconds and the operation of the phone functions are very easy. It also allows for streaming music from your phone to the PCM via Bluetooth.

I also included the GPS Navigation extra, more for the multimedia features it includes than the actual Navigation. You get a 40GB hard drive (Jukebox) where you can store all your music, and you also get a USB port in your glovebox that can also reproduce music or be used to copy music into your Jukebox. You get a 3.5mm jack as well but with the Jukebox, USB port and Bluetooth streaming, the jack is kind of superfluous.

The optional Comfort Package for the GTS actually includes the Navigation extra mentioned in the above paragraph, as well as rear camera that when activated by selecting reverse gear, can overimpose the front&rear ParkAssitst animation. The rear camera also shows that car’s trajectory when back up according to the steering wheel position but it's difficult to trust what you see in the camera and still rely instead on the mirrors and rear window, and ParkAssist.

rear.camera.jpg

The BOSE sound system is decent, at least in the coupe version, and in my opinion the best quality/price ratio. Something I notice though is that if you turn the volume up, the base of the speakers in the doors may cause metal things like keys in the door pockets to rattle.

The instrument cluster in the 991 is similar than in the 997 save the left sphere which in now a LCD screen. Not a fan of all the instrument spheres being screens, it's like using a digital vs an automatic analog wristwatch, but having just one of the lateral spheres being a screen is a good idea. Its very functional providing information without having to look over to the PCM screen and easily switching from the different displays via a stalk on the steering column. It can show info like the navigation map, navigation directions, on board computer trip info, tire pressures, G forces, chrono, temperatures, music, and phone.

spheras.jpg

The smokers package is a no cost option that gets rid of the ugly change open pocket in the center console, and in its place provides a lid with a small pocket and a lighter that when removed leaves an extra 12v outlet. Bellow you can see the difference between the standard non-smokers pocket and the optional smoker’s  package.

smoker-package.jpg

To end this trip through the interior just mention the rear seats which are basically the same as in the 997.

interior.rear.jpg

ENGINE

The GTS has a version of the direct injection 3.8liter atmospheric of the CarreraS with 430HP, but the increase of HP via the optional CarreraS powerkit, thanks to a variable resonance induction system and an improvement of the internal air conduction of the engine through smoother cylinder heads and new intake camshaft and valve-spring kit. The end result is increased output on the high end of the rpm range but without sacrificing some on the mid-low range. The GTS also incorporates a third middle radiator in the front for greater cooling just like the Powerkit fitted CarreraS.

Side-baiona3.jpg

The power delivery is progressive allowing you to better adapt it to the available traction, but it is an engine that likes to be on the mid-high end rpm range as is usual with these types of engines. It’s not characterised by excessive of torque at low rpms but at you start to cross the midrange the engine starts frenzy and puts a bigger and bigger smile on your face, at 5000rpm it shows its most aggressive side and its music to the ears as this atmospheric screams wanting to climb higher and higher and still higher. With the unique GTS exhaust sound it’s a match made in heaven that you never get bored of hearing.

Rear.side-tecla1.jpg

I’m going to mention milage because it’s interesting that with 75HP more than my ex-997S, the GTS has better milage. And the car is still new so the milage will improve even further along the first year.

Also very very nice bonus on the GTS is that thanks to having the widebody chassis but no AWD in this case, you can opt for a 90 liter fuel tank at no extra cost. This large fuel tank will not reduce the size of your trunk nor has any other disadvantage, and it is very convenient not having to stop as often on gas stations. Depending on your driving you can see an autonomy from 400km up to as much as 900km! if you are for example driving at constant speeds even at highway speeds that would be illegal in most of Europe. Amazing efficiency.

Side.casa.jpg

The downside on this section goes to the Start&Stop function, I may be old fashioned but the gimmick of the engine stopping when you are sitting on a stoplight ready to go is to save a drop of fuel not something that agrees with me. On top of this you cannot deactivate this function permanently so you have to deactivate it manually via the button on the console every time you start the car. By now it has become second nature along with activating the sport exhaust with is right next to it. If you deactivate the Start&Stop the sailing-coasting function will also be deactivated by the way.

console.buttons.jpg

TRANSMISSION

I  will start by saying that I have always been one of those manual diehards, for me being able to manually shift gears modulating the clutch,using the stick, and coordinating it with the brake and throttle, is a fundamental part of the driving experience of a sportscar, and bypassing most of that via automation was missing out.

On top of this the traditional automatic transmissions (ex: torque converter) were always slower and less sporty than the manuals so it was all pretty much black and white for me, manual for sportcars and auto for big sedans. But with the advancement of technology and the new double clutch sequentials we have reached a point where all the disadvantages of the auto trannies have disappeared; they are no longer significantly heavier, they are not slower in shifting, they no longer have that rubber band throttle response, they don’t have less and longer gears, they don’t have worse milage, etc. So much so that the PDK even beats the manual in some of these points.

But no matter how good they still can’t offer the experience of shifting the gears yourself with the stick and pedals. So its no longer black and white and while I have tested the PDK multiple times and in different models, you can’t reach a clear conclusion on whether you will appreciate the PDK enough to compensate the loss of involvement of the manual or will you get bored with the PDK in time.

So after 400,000km (250,000miles) in manual 911’s and in spite of loving manual transmissions, I decided to take a leap of faith and opt the GTs with the PDK.

Rear-torrona2.jpg

The PDK being a double clutch sequential has almost instantaneous gear changes since it has the gears arranged in two separate banks (pairs vs odds) and can clutch and declutch the next gear simultaneously from the other bank without having to wait to do one before doing the other.

While these are the fastest gearboxes in the market, not all are created equal, and what makes the PDK stand out is how intelligent it been made for sport driving, the PDK clearly has Porsche DNA in it.

In auto mode you will find that it always retains the correct gear, not too long, and knows when to upshift or hold the gear even if the speed or rpms are the same. This is the goal of all auto trannies but PDK is specially good at this, and with sport driving clearly in mind.

Side-Torrona3.jpg

For example you can observe how it will precisely adapt the gear to the type of braking you are doing. If you brake hard for a turn, it will realise that and will downshift more aggressively and retain a shorter gear to give you engine brake through the turn so you don’t use the brake to shave speed mid turn if needed, and also providing a lower gear for maximum acceleration out of the corner, with the next gear ready on the other bank ready to whip it in place.

front.side-tecla1.jpg

It is also amusing to hear it downshift the gears into the corner like that as it blips the throttle with each one so as to rev-match the gears and not unsettle the already unloaded rear axle with too much engine brake when declutching the lower gears. What we do manually with heel-toe but perfect everytime. That said, I don’t think this would be the same at all without sport exhausts, which make it much more audible.

On the other hand, when you are accelerating  and how you accelerate, when you lift off the throttle, the PDK will either retain the current gear to give to back acceleration when you step back in the throttle again, or shift to a higher one if you were cruising instead to lower the rpms and keep the momentum better.

It’s so efficient at predicting what to do on each situation and type of driving that even if you switch to manual mode, you are not going to go any faster, not even on a track IMO, maybe even the opposite because in auto you have less to divide your concentration.

Rear-torrona3.jpg

The manual mode is more for those times when you want to play with the gears more, maybe seek a bit of more involvement. During auto mode however you can manually override the auto mode by using the steering paddles at any time, after which if no more input is done via the paddles, it will revert back to auto mode after a bit.

On the other hand when you are in manual mode, auto mode is still in the background too. If you are coming to a stop for a stoplight for example and you do not drop the gears to first gear, the PDK will ultimately do it for you so that you are still ready to launch on first gear when you get the green light, and it can’t happen that you forget you are in manual and left it on third gear and try to launch off and bog it.

Side-Tecla1.jpg

In manual mode you have an indicator in the instrument cluster that recommends when you should upshift but in reality what is telling you is when it is OK to upshift and not do it too early and force the engine. Something hard to do anyways since it’s always telling me to upshift way before I’d like to, pretty hard to upshift too early then.

Something very important to me in regards with the PDK is that it needs to come with paddles on the steering, and not the archaic buttons inherited from the Tiptronic. The metal paddles on the SportDesign steering wheel have a good feel and are well designed.

paddle.close.up.jpg

Porsche is one of those makers that fixes the paddles to the steering wheel instead of the steering column, so that the paddles turn with the wheel. This favors when using them during turns that need low-med wheel turn since the hands still remain at the 10 & 2 positions and the paddles right at your fingertips, as opposed to very aggressive turn with lots of wheel turn in which you need to shifts your hands through the steering wheel and in which case you tend to loose the reference of the paddles. Personally I like this setup since during latter scenario is when I would be shifting the least compared to moderate wheel lock.

levas.y.volante.jpg

So what is my conclusion with the PDK? well to date I can say that I’m happy with the PDK, if I  had too choose all over in this car I would choose PDK again, and that is saying a lot coming from a manual diehard. That said, I still don’t know if I will have the same opinion in the long run, you will have to ask me next year for example. The PDK while not as fun as a manual it is still fun, in a different way than the manual, and it's faster and more efficient, and for a daily driver like this car is going to be, it's more practical and versatile. Without sport exhausts though I think I would like it less, and without an atmospheric engine even less, because it would be more boring.

Rear-tecla1.jpg

Fortunately for those that still prefer a manual gearbox, it is still offered but I don’t know for how long though if they got even people like me to switch, some models like GT3 or Turbo don’t come with a manual anymore, but I hope they still offer manuals for a long time since maybe down the line I will want a manual again. Right now I would venture that 80% of sales are PDK cars.

Hand brake is electronic now in the 991, takes some getting used to though in a PDK car I don’t miss the hand lever, and it’s part of the hold function when starting from an uphill, but if I had a manual I would still do.

Rear.side-torrona2.jpg

SOUND/EXHAUST

The 996 sounded great with the sport exhaust option, the Mk-1 997 as well, but with the Mk-2 997 the sport exhaust was not the same, it was more muted and timid, fearing this would be the end of the old sounding sport exhaust maybe due to noise regulations, the 997 GTS version at the end of the generation cycle brought it back. And along with the 991 the sport exhaust started to sound great again, but in the 991 GTS they have taken it even further to the point that its one of the best sounding 911 I have heard.

The GTS does not sound the same as a CarreraS with sport exhaust, they have given it a unique sound, more aggressive and with a deeper engine growl. I’m sure part is due to the admission modifications the GTS has but part has to be by design on purpose. You can even feel the rise in vibrations from the car when you activate the sport exhaust.

exhaust.tips.jpg

It not easy to explain with words but compared to the CarreraS its more lower pitched and less muffler like. They seem to have given lots of importance to the sound in the GTS that even with the sport exhaust deactivated, the GTS still sounds different. In fact, while in the CarreraS when you deactivate the sport exhaust, the sound turns into the regular exhaust sound, in the GTS the change is only partial, it is still louder and more aggressive than normal exhausts. If the 996/997/991 CarreraS goes from for example 10 to 0 when deactivating the sport exhaust, in the GTS it goes from 10 to 5.

And the exhausts on this unit are still new, with a few thousand kilometers they will get fully burnt in and will sound to 100% of their potential, as is usual with all sport exhausts.

CHASSIS

The chassis is new in the 991 and that is very apparent. One of the differences is the 10mm increased wheelbase which moves the engine slightly forward, and makes the 991 56mm longer overall in spite of the decrease overhang of the front and rear bumpers.

Side-baiona2.jpg

One of the most noticeable changes in my opinion is the increased front track, something that worked well in the 997GT2RS & GT3 4.0 and they decided to incorporate on the whole 991 lineup. This gives the front end more stability compared to the 997 and inspires even more confidence going into corners and direction changes.

Rear-torrona1.jpg

The GTS comes also with the widebody of the AWD and GT3 models which not only makes the outside  body 44mm wider on the hips but also makes the rear track wider by 26mm too.

In general the chassis of 991 is more rigid and sways less in the corners than the 997 (probably in part due to the wider front and rear track) but at the same time it's also more comfortable.

And that more comfort is significant but on the other hand the GTS does not sacrifice any of its sporty behaviour to obtain that increased comfort. Used to be a dichotomy that the harsher the ride the better the car handled but not anymore. My ex-997S had the -20mm sport suspension but the GTS is dynamically superior in everything (handling in the turns, stability under braking, high speed stability, overall grip, weight transfer stability, etc). I suppose the dynamic engine mounts on the GTS also plays a role in the this comfort at no cost thing compared to the 997.

Rear.side-baiona1.jpg

The handling is still the typical “911” handling, precise steering with great feedback, excellent traction under acceleration, neutral handling setup, etc Only that the 991 takes it all one step further than the 997 (save for the steering), and the GTS one step further than the regular 991 CarreraS, the GTS feeling a bit sportier, a bit more precise in the steering than the CarreraS.

The 991 incorporates not an electromechanical steering in place of the traditional hydraulic powersteering, something which at first really worried me since the steering is one of the things I love most about the 911 and which is hard to match on other cars. After testing the 991 when it was introduced I came out not totally convinced that it was  a step in the right direction in terms of feel and feedback (aside from being lighter and more fuel efficient), not after being used too the Mk-1 997S-20mm which had in my opinion the best steering setups of any 996/997 Carrera.

In its defense I have to mention that that first 991 I tested had the Power Steering Plus option which is supposed to soften the steering at lower speed to make maneuvering like parking more comfortable, but what it did is soften the steering in general, not only when parking, and made it too light and detached. This is an option that I completely advise not to get, especially on a 911.

I don’t know if the GTS has a different steering setup than the regulñar CarreraS or it's because of the changes in iits geometries but its more direct and precise, with a good weight to it. In the GTS I  don’t miss the 997-20mm’s steering so much its almost as good… almost.

front.side-torrona1.jpg

Sport Chrono package is standard on the GTS, something that I consider one of those absolute must option on the 991 anyways, since the Sport and Sport-Plus modes allow you to extract a sportiveness the 911 can give in certain moments than would otherwise go unused. It should be standard equipment on all 991’s, it’s like buying a 911 with a factory rev limiter at 4000rpm and you need to get an option to remove the limiter.

And the Sport Chrono is even more important in the 991 generation since it also includes the Dynamic Engine Mounts, something that appeared first on the 997 GT3. These engine mounts are not fixed anymore but are controlled electronically so that during sporty driving or at high speeds they are stiffened and therefore reduce the swaying movement of the engine mass increasing stability during weight transfers. this is something I noticed right away as soon as I took to the highway on the first 991 I tested.

At lower speeds however, the mounts soften and allow more cushioning of the engine within the chassis and increase comfort not allowing to it transmit the vibrations and movements of the engines to the chassis as much, and therefore the passengers.

Since this GTS has PDK, the rear differential is an electronic one called PTV Plus, as opposed to the manual versions which have a less sophisticated mechanical one called, PTV.

In regards to RWD vs AWD, after having driven and compared both versions of the last generations (and having owned both versions) you can see that with each generation of 911 the differences between RWD and AWD are becoming smaller and smaller.

On one hand the AWD versions in sporty driving handle more and more like RWD, they have less understeer and the steering does not lose as much feedback when the torque is diverted to the front axle in times of greater rear slip angle. And on the other hand the RWDs with the improvements in stability technologies, improvements in grip and chassis, the improvement of tire compounds and construction, etc there are less situations where an AWD would take advantage of its extra FWD traction.

Rear.side-torrona1.jpg

In my opinion, only if I were to use the 991 under snow conditions with snow tires or very rainy with very cold temperatures I would go for the AWD version. But under moderate climate conditions (ex: hot summers & rainy winters) the RWD has the same level of tracción and safety at the limit. And there are still some drawbacks to AWD like the heavier kerb weight so only makes sense if you are not really going to take advantage of it. There are other reasons however, some people like the AWD just to have it there because they are new to the 911, others because of the wider rear which makes it look better, however the latter won’t apply to the already widebody GTS.

Side-Torrona1.jpg

I have always opted for the sport suspension option, in my 996 I had the M030 -10mm, on my 997 the P17 -20mm, but on the GTS I opted for the -10mm PASM that comes standard and not the -20mm S-PASM. The reason being that the front bumper of the GTS is not only reaches lower and more forward than the standard bumper but it also comes painted down to the bottom lip which is part of the bumper, it’s not a removable unpainted black lip. I have already scratched the lip the first day I had the car, if I would have opted for the -20mm S-PASM it would have been a problem for me for everyday usability. So its something to consider first before getting the -20mm in the GTS.

side.close.front.jpg

The weight in general has not increased in the 991 in spite of being a new generation, in fact it's a few kilos lighter than the 997 thanks to greater use of aluminum. And the GTS is only 10Kg heavier than the CarreraS even though it has the widebody.

In regard to brakes, the GTS has the same brakes as the CarreraS, 340mm diameter and 34mm width in front and 330mm & 28mm rear. Compared to other brands Porsche does not disappoint in the brakes category, the feeling of the pedal is very good and progressive as usual but haven’t tested them hard yet in terms of fading. They do tend to look a bit small inside the big 20” wheels though. The PCCB’s offer a bit better pedal feel and produce less brake dust so the wheels don’t get as dirty, but in my opinion they just don’t justify the price, not by a long shot.

wheel.jpg

The GTS comes with 305/30/ZR20 tires on front and 245/35/Zr20 on front, the same as the CarreraS but the GTS comes with 1” wider wheels for more support for the tire’s lateral walls (9J x 20 front and 11,5J x 20 rear).

This GTS came with Pzero and I’m not a fan of Pirelli though it’s been a long time since I have used Pirellis and they seem to have improved, but when it comes time to change them I will go for the Michelin PSS.

Side-Tecla2.jpg

CONCLUSION

Rear-baiona1.jpg

The GTS occupies the place between the CarreraS and the GT3 in sportiveness and experience at the wheel, but without sacrificing everyday usability and practicality, the perfect equilibrium for those like me that always wanted more sportiveness in the Carrera model range but the GT3 was too impractical for a daily driver.

In the history of the 911 there have been moments of great changes and this GTS coincides with the disappearing of atmospheric engines due to the downsizing and restrictive legislations. In spite of this, the 911 will continue to adapt to the times as always and continue improve over the previous generation, after 50 years now of that there is no doubt.

But with a unique look both in exterior and inside, a very special sound, and the more time limited production of the GTS, you get the impression that the engineers at Porsche used this model to give a farewell tribute to the 911 atmospheric engine.

Side-baiona.jpg

1438693718159key.jpg

STANDARD OR SPECIAL OPTIONS ON THE GTS MODEL

• Widebody +44mm

• Increase to 430HP

• Sport Exhausts

• 20” TurboS wheels in matte black with centerlocks

• SportDesign front bumper

• SportDesign side mirrors

• Bi-Xenon headlights with PDLS

• Sport Chrono pack with dynamic engine mounts

• Sport Seats Plus

• SportDesign steering wheel with paddles

• Darkened front headlights with washer tips in black

• Exhaust tips in chrome black

• Lateral front turn signal lights in LED

• Rear model designation in black

EXTRA OPCIONAL EQUIPOMENT:

• Carmine Red exterior

• GTS package

• Alcantara black interior with red stitching

• Decorative pieces in carbon fiber

• Seatbelts with carmine red borders

• Center sphere in instrument cluster in carmine red

• GTS logo stitched in red in headrest

• Black carpets with Porsche logo stitched

• Comfort package

• GTS Navigation, 40GB multimedia hard disc, and USB port

• Front and rear Park Assists

• Rear camera

• Telephone module

• Heated seats

• Rain sensor

• Interior and exterior self dimming mirrors

• PDK

• BOSE sound system

• Mobile phone pre-install (bluetooth)

• 90 liter gas tank

• Smoker’s package

• Cruise control

TECHNICAL SPPECS OF THE GTS - PDK

Performance:

Max speed 304 km/h

Acceleration from

• 0 – 100 km/h 4,0 s
    • 0 – 60 mph3,8 s
    • 0 – 200 km/h13,5 s
    • 0 – 400 m (1/4 mile) 12,1 s
    • 0 –1.000 m 22,1 s

Engine:

• Capacity: 3.800 cm3
    • Power: 430 CV at 7.500 rpm
    • Max Torque: 440 Nm a 5.750 rpm
    • HP/liter: 113,2 CV/l
    • Max RPM: 7.800 rpm

Mileage (NEFZ):

• Total 8,7 l/100 km
    • City 12,2 l/100 km
    • Intercity 6,7 l/100 km

Weight:

• Unladen weight DIN 1.425 (1.445) kg

Body:

• Length 4.509 mm
    • Width 1.852 mm
    • Width with side mirrors 1.978 mm
    • Height 1.295 mm
    • Wheelbase 2.450 mm
    • Front track 1.538 mm
    • Rear track 1.560 mm

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Superb report - many congrats wink

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Bravo, Carlos.  You put so much effort and work into this, thank you so much!!! blush wink

Read it twice...highly enjoyable. kiss Will comment on it tomorrow though, have to go. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Awesome, many thanks!

Yesterday I test drove a Targa GTS and the noise it makes at full throttle with Sport Plus on is addictive.

--

1992 964 Carrera 2 - 2012 Cayenne Diesel - 2013 Mini Cooper S - 1995 BMW318ti

Excellent, Carlos wink

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Carlos,

Great report !! Fact based, but still, allows your love for driving to come through.

And the GTS in Carmine Red looks stunning. 

The lips are not that expensive to replace US$189.00 and if you are going to replace buy two and have them painted at the same time to reduce the cost of painting. It will be part of the cost of ownership.

Thank you very much much for all of the effort you put into your report. A lot more comprehensive than any car magazine review.

Have fun driving it!

Congratulations again on a beautiful car and thanks for the excellent report and photos, Carlos.  kiss

--

fritz

Congrats, Carlos. Thank you for the extensive write up and pics, absolutely brilliant.

I agree 100% about the size of the PDK stick, would look so much better if it was half the size.

Hope you fully enjoy your ownership.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

Carlos, many thanks for this very well considered write-up; are you sure you do not work for the Spanish Tourism organizations??  The photos are truly magnificent.  

But one of your comments made me run out to our 997 to check:  you wrote "Porsche is one of those makers that fixes the paddles to the steering column instead of the steering wheel, so that the paddles do not turn with the wheel."  I think you intended to say the opposite - the paddles do turn with the steering wheel as they are attached to rear portion of the wheel, and are not in fact fixed to the steering column.  Unless they changed the 991 opposite to the 997...

In any case you put a lot of work into this review.... and all that driving as well - what a hero!  kiss  I can only imagine what distance you will put on this car after the incredible distance on your 997 !  

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

Brilliant report Carlos, really enjoyed the read!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Outstanding report!

What is puzzling is the Carrera S has the Start&Stop feature as does the GTS. Yet, there GT3 does not have it and thank God for that. The feature is a pain. The little gas you save eats at the life of the battery.

Carlos, once you become accustomed to PDK, you'll never go back to manual.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Fantastic review! Smiley

Carlos, many congrats! Smiley

Carlos, outstanding review and unbelievable pictures! kisskisskiss Thank you so much for the time and effort to put it together!  Please keep us inform about your long-term opinion of PDK, which may possibly evolve.

As a note, in your post regarding the chassis, "chasis" in the title (in bold) is spelled wrong and you may want to correct it.

Thanks again!

Fantastic review ! 

Thanks you guys, very happy that you enjoyed the read and the photos, well worth the time to do it for you guys! SmileySmiley

pcosta:

The lips are not that expensive to replace US$189.00 and if you are going to replace buy two and have them painted at the same time to reduce the cost of painting. It will be part of the cost of ownership.

Thanks for the tip! Smiley

4trac:

But one of your comments made me run out to our 997 to check:  you wrote "Porsche is one of those makers that fixes the paddles to the steering column instead of the steering wheel, so that the paddles do not turn with the wheel."  I think you intended to say the opposite - the paddles do turn with the steering wheel as they are attached to rear portion of the wheel, and are not in fact fixed to the steering column.  Unless they changed the 991 opposite to the 997...

Thanks for catching that, indeed its a mistake, came it the other way around than intended in that paragraph, will correct it now! Smiley

Ziggy:

As a note, in your post regarding the chassis, "chasis" in the title (in bold) is spelled wrong and you may want to correct it.

Thats a typo too, chasis is in spanish, thanks! Smiley

--

i may be wrong but i thought the gts and the power kit on the s are exactly the same?

I'm sure i must have missed something?

steelested:

i may be wrong but i thought the gts and the power kit on the s are exactly the same?

Actually the engine modifications on the GTS to reach the 430HP are different than the ones on the CarreraS powerkit, and were specifically made for the GTS.

--

Amazing review Carlos..thanks for the sharing.

By the way..where did you take the photos...in the north of spain ?

Saludos

Makes sense as I've driven both and preferred the gts

Carlos from Spain:
    steelested:

Actually the engine modifications on the GTS to reach the 430HP are different than the ones on the CarreraS powerkit, and were specifically made for the GTS.

Excellent write up and pics!!! Smiley Enjoyed reading it very much! Thanks for sharing Smiley

Regarding the power kit, are you sure this really the case? Porsche did two different power kits for the very same engine both ending up at 430hp Smiley It is not just hard-to-interpret Porsche marketing waffle which has caused some confusion? Smiley Like Porsche's statement that the GTS fills the space between the S and the GT3 when in fact it has 99% in common with the S and only alcantara bits in common with the GT3... 

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

... Like Porsche's statement that the GTS fills the space between the S and the GT3 when in fact it has 99% in common with the S and only alcantara bits in common with the GT3... 

I think they mean the price space.

bluelines:
    Carlos from Spain:
    steelested:

Excellent write up and pics!!! Smiley Enjoyed reading it very much! Thanks for sharing Smiley

Regarding the power kit, are you sure this really the case? Porsche did two different power kits for the very same engine both ending up at 430hp Smiley It is not just hard-to-interpret Porsche marketing waffle which has caused some confusion? Smiley Like Porsche's statement that the GTS fills the space between the S and the GT3 when in fact it has 99% in common with the S and only alcantara bits in common with the GT3... 

This is from Porsche press kit, maybe these mods on the GTS became a new powerkit for the CarreraS afterwards, but they imply that the mods were done specifically for the GTS, in fact in the Spanish version is says "specifically designed for this model":

The engine of the 911 Carrera GTS models is an advanced development of the liter 3.8 liter six-cylinder from the 911 Carrera S. An additional 30 hp was gained by completely reworking the intake manifold. The variable resonance induction system that was specially developed was essential to boosting the engine's power and torque. In this system, the central intake manifold flap is supplemented by six additional resonance flaps, one in each individual cylinder runner. They are simultaneously opened or closed based on engine speed and accelerator pedal position. The result: oscillating tube charging provides for better filling of the combustion chambers. This ensures that an optimal amount of fresh air reaches the combustion chambers in all driving situations, generating high torque at low revs and more power at high revs.

In parallel, airflow within the engine was optimized. The goal: more charging at high revs for more power. To achieve this, the intake ports of the cylinder heads were geometrically optimized, and they were machine-lapped, i.e. smoothed, by a new process, which reduces their resistance to air flow. New intake camshafts with a larger valve stroke and a modified valve-spring kit enable induction of more fresh air into the combustion chambers over a
    longer period. The results: improved resonance charging which, in conjunction with the reworked engine control system, leads to optimal charging of the combustion chamber. The driver can access the full torque of the 911 Carrera S engine, and thereby its elasticity, as well as more power from the GTS engine at full throttle. This leads to very impressive driving characteristics in the 911 Carrera GTS.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662517 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401285 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229248 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59625 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853568 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761998 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM