Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

What five cars that don’t exist would you like to see/buy/just have available?

We’re all always griping that ‘X’ doesn’t exist and you wished it did or “I would buy it if only it had ‘Y’ instead of ‘Z’”. So what would you like to see available. Maybe it’s something already available, just not where you are (North America is cursed by this), maybe it’s a car that doesn’t have the right engine or the seat configuration etc…

Here are mine:

Porsche 960 – Mid-engined car the size of a 488 or 650. Preferably with a turbo flat eight. A 4.8 litre, ~700hp, carbon tub car that would be raced against the other top GT cars as we know the 911 platform will have a hard time in 2017 against the turbo 488, 650LT etc… Even if priced just below the 650LT I still think it would sell and Porsche desperately needs a halo production car that isn’t a 911 Turbo. The 918 has ended and was the 959 of its era. Ferrari even after the F40 still had the Testarossa. Half of Ferraris and most McLarens are still faster than any Porsche other than the 918.

New RS America – 911 with GT3 engine, gearbox and most of its suspension. No large rear fixed wing (though maybe a revised and subtlety bigger extending wing). REAR SEATS but rest of interior more in keeping with GT3 (lightened, no sunroof, maybe alcantara instead of carpet in places etc…). A drivable, every day 911 that is track capable but indistinguishable from a ‘normal’ 911 to most non-porsche people. What the GTS should be!

A new Bentley Brooklands – Bentley desperately needs a coupe version of its Mulsanne. The Brooklands was IMHO the best Bentley of the last great number of years and is tasteful in a way the Phantom Coupe could never hope to be. I would love to see them do it again even if I doubt I could ever buy one new… (but used…..Mmmm).

Mercedes GLE with a V8 Diesel in North America – At least 340hp and 750nm. Tenorite Grey over Tobacco Brown with the open pore wood and it’s my next family car. The 350 diesel just doesn’t have the guts I want but I want a diesel family SUV.     

A modern Citroen SM – Now that there is a Maserati V6 again I’d love to see a quirky but beautiful Citroen with its amazingly comfortable suspension, pillows for headrests and a quick and great sounding Italian V6 up front to make it faster than it should be. 

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Re: What five cars that don’t exist would you like to see/buy/just have available?

A 991 RSR road-legal version (there were a few 73 RSR 2.8 that were street legal).  Would be similar to 991 RS but motor would have individual throttle bodies like RSR (but without the RSR's intake restrictor) for incredible sound and throttle response and would use the RSR's electro-hyrdraulic power steering.  Both PDK-S and 7spd Manual (all 7 gears for performance) would be available. 

Suspension would use racing quality coilovers (manually adjustable for high and low speed bump and rebound, not PASM).  Additional weight loss as well.

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Re: What five cars that don’t exist would you like to see/buy/just have available?

A spiritual successor to the M3 CSL that can be used everyday.  Light, nimble, adequate power, great sound and feel, but with some practicality. 

vantagesc:

A spiritual successor to the M3 CSL that can be used everyday.  Light, nimble, adequate power, great sound and feel, but with some practicality. 

That could happen with the BMW M2 CSL (or whatever top version they make).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Before reading the posts; after seeing the thread title all I could think of was:

George_Jetson_Car.jpg

Now that there are Singer Porsches, I don't have an answer. yes A car with the look and soul of a classic, with the best of the best internals would have been my wish otherwise.

Better still if Singer has PDK......................

--

I couldn't find the car of my dreams, so I built one myself smiley

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

Grant:

A 991 RSR road-legal version (there were a few 73 RSR 2.8 that were street legal).  Would be similar to 991 RS but motor would have individual throttle bodies like RSR (but without the RSR's intake restrictor) for incredible sound and throttle response and would use the RSR's electro-hyrdraulic power steering.  Both PDK-S and 7spd Manual (all 7 gears for performance) would be available. 

Suspension would use racing quality coilovers (manually adjustable for high and low speed bump and rebound, not PASM).  Additional weight loss as well.

Now that would indeed be awesome!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Mithras:

Porsche 960 – Mid-engined car the size of a 488 or 650. Preferably with a turbo flat eight. A 4.8 litre, ~700hp, carbon tub car that would be raced against the other top GT cars as we know the 911 platform will have a hard time in 2017 against the turbo 488, 650LT etc… Even if priced just below the 650LT I still think it would sell and Porsche desperately needs a halo production car that isn’t a 911 Turbo. The 918 has ended and was the 959 of its era. Ferrari even after the F40 still had the Testarossa. Half of Ferraris and most McLarens are still faster than any Porsche other than the 918.

This is the one I'd like to see to eclipse all the others.

It would have been great if this car was ready to coincide with the LM win. Porsche back at the top in motoracing and in road sportscars.

Unfortunately Porsche people have little ambition outside the 911 concept.

I also expect a 911 with flat 4 e-turbo hybrid without any amenities and with a single seat to save weight doing 45 mpg and winning economy runs around the world Smiley

--

"Form follows function"

991 Cabriolet with the engine and drivetrain from the GT3 RS, but without the suspension and other trick bits

I'm hoping for a gt4rs but I'd only take it with the gt3 engine (9k rpm) and pdk-s. PTS would also need to be sorted. It would need to have folding buckets and a roll cage.

I am intrigued by the concept of the 960, but my boxster gts with analog sport suspension and ptv is s very nice daily driver. If the 960 were positioned as a track car I'd be more interested. I don't really want a more attention getting street car.

There are plenty other 960 type cars... Porsche is wise not getting into that segment, it would only tarnish the 911...

modern 944, 4cyl. engine, big roof that's removable and sexy lines! 

--

1991 BMW 535i Granitsilber/White Leather

Ex: '91 BMW 318i, '89 BMW 525i, '74 Mercedes-Benz 280E, '87 BMW 325is, '86 BMW 325e, '05 Ford Focus ZX4 S, '85.5 Porsche 944

1. 918 Spyder (6.8L V12 / 5-Valves per Cylinder / Weight: 1,370 kg)

- With internal combustion engine (minus hybrid part) PDK or Manual

- 918 hp @ 10,500 rpm  +  1050 Nm with the most sophisticated 4WD system + manually adjustable torque split

- Top Speed: 370 km/h

2. 911 GT3 / RSR (Naturally Aspirated) Weight: 1,300 kg (2WD Only)

- 550 hp @ 9,000 ~ 9,200 rpm + 595 Nm

- Manual Gearbox or Optional: PDK

3. 911 Turbo / Weight: 1,420 kg (2WD) / 1,480 kg (4WD)

- 635hp @ 7,850 rpm + 800 Nm

- Manual or PDK

- Hardtop = Std / Sunroof = Optional

- Top Speed: 330 km/h

4. Ferrari V12 FR / Weight: 1,340kg

- 840 hp @ 9,800 rpm + 790 Nm

- Optional: Stiffer chassis / Suspension

- Optional: Semi-Racing Exhaust (Exhaust Valve Delete and Silencers) + activation button

- Special order: Manual Gearbox

5. Porsche Carrera GT (6.0L) V10 / Weight: 1,150 kg (2WD)

- 750 hp @ 9,500 rpm + 740 Nm

- Fixed roof

- Three-Stage Stability / Traction Control System

- Manual only with close gear ratio

/rant .......Smiley

A new carbon fiber356 with a working heater300hp and a dog leg 5spd would be nice

BiTurbo:

1. 918 Spyder (6.8L V12 / 5-Valves per Cylinder / Weight: 1,370 kg)

- With internal combustion engine (minus hybrid part) PDK or Manual

- 918 hp @ 10,500 rpm  +  1050 Nm with the most sophisticated 4WD system + manually adjustable torque split

- Top Speed: 370 km/h

2. 911 GT3 / RSR (Naturally Aspirated) Weight: 1,300 kg (2WD Only)

- 550 hp @ 9,000 ~ 9,200 rpm + 595 Nm

- Manual Gearbox or Optional: PDK

3. 911 Turbo / Weight: 1,420 kg (2WD) / 1,480 kg (4WD)

- 635hp @ 7,850 rpm + 800 Nm

- Manual or PDK

- Hardtop = Std / Sunroof = Optional

- Top Speed: 330 km/h

4. Ferrari V12 FR / Weight: 1,340kg

- 840 hp @ 9,800 rpm + 790 Nm

- Optional: Stiffer chassis / Suspension

- Optional: Semi-Racing Exhaust (Exhaust Valve Delete and Silencers) + activation button

- Special order: Manual Gearbox

5. Porsche Carrera GT (6.0L) V10 / Weight: 1,150 kg (2WD)

- 750 hp @ 9,500 rpm + 740 Nm

- Fixed roof

- Three-Stage Stability / Traction Control System

- Manual only with close gear ratio

/rant .......Smiley

#1, #4, #5 physically simply cannot be done.

130hp per liter is just about the max a modern NA engine can put out, and most of the torque has to be tuned out in order to squeeze out those kind of output. 

Ferrari is the expert on high output high revs V12s and even they can't get their 6.2L V12 spinning much faster than what it is doing now. The 800HP version in the LaFerrari is just about the limit. Too much rotating mass in a big V12. And even that person has to have most of the torque tuned out when compared with the F12 version.

The small V8 in the 918 and the Speciale push out over 130hp per litre but they are also nearing the max limit and without much torque output. 

--

vantagesc:

+1 Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Whoopsy:

#1, #4, #5 physically simply cannot be done.

130hp per liter is just about the max a modern NA engine can put out, and most of the torque has to be tuned out in order to squeeze out those kind of output. 

Ferrari is the expert on high output high revs V12s and even they can't get their 6.2L V12 spinning much faster than what it is doing now. The 800HP version in the LaFerrari is just about the limit. Too much rotating mass in a big V12. And even that person has to have most of the torque tuned out when compared with the F12 version.

The small V8 in the 918 and the Speciale push out over 130hp per litre but they are also nearing the max limit and without much torque output. 

A bit of daydreaming wouldn't hurt Smiley especially the CGT if it did meet my specs, I'd fly to Germany and spec the car just to avoid my dealers screw up from time to time.

960 5liter  8 cylinder boxer engine

it's coming!!!

DJC:

960 5liter  8 cylinder boxer engine

it's coming!!!

I know that Porsche is working on a new 8-cyl. engine and I know that Porsche is examining the possibility (development apparently already started in an earlier stage) of a "960" but so far, I haven't heard any specifics (the 8-cyl. engine is coming for sure, the "960" I don't know).

Not so sure about a flat 8 engine though, even if Porsche already has experience with it (racing).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

In an interview last year Mueller said that a turbo flat 8 was ready. The only car that would suit this engine is a 960 type of car.

Besides Porsche heritage (908 series)  a flat 8 would give a low COG and be something unique; too many V8s and V6s around.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

In an interview last year Mueller said that a turbo flat 8 was ready. The only car that would suit this engine is a 960 type of car.

Do you have a link?

Besides Porsche heritage (908 series)  a flat 8 would give a low COG and be something unique; too many V8s and V6s around.

True but there was a rumor that Porsche actually developed a flat 8 engine for the 911 but this engine became too heavy and the performance advantages (vs. flat 6 with turbo charging) weren't big enough, so they dropped it.

Right now, it makes more sense for Porsche to develop a base 8-cyl. engine for usage in the Cayenne/Panamera and possible additional models like the 928-style Coupe and a possible "960" (with major differences of course).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    True but there was a rumor that Porsche actually developed a flat 8 engine for the 911 but this engine became too heavy and the performance advantages (vs. flat 6 with turbo charging) weren't big enough, so they dropped it.

Disappointing - I figured this was the only reasonable way forward for the GT3, without drastic weight loss.

I don't see how they can even add 20% more power to the NA Flat-6 - guess Turbos are coming to GT3...

--

RC:
    reginos:

Do you have a link?

As far as I remember It was an interview in Auto Zeitung but I haven't kept the magazine. 

Right now, it makes more sense for Porsche to develop a base 8-cyl. engine for usage in the Cayenne/Panamera and possible additional models like the 928-style Coupe and a possible "960" (with major differences of course).

If so, this will be the joint Audi-Porsche new engine which was mentioned in the Autocar last week. V6 and V8 of 500cc per cylinder suitable for both gas and electric + gas turbocharging.

--

"Form follows function"

I don't. Believe it will be a V8

porsche is known for the boxer motor and 

it makes absolute sense they lead and not follow

I have good information the racing 960 is already done

DJC:

I have good information the racing 960 is already done

Do you know what engine or other specs?

--

A cross plane v8 suffers from a lot of counterbalancing reciprocating mass, and uneven firing (bank to bank). A flat plane v8 suffers from excessive vibration. Isn't the flat 8 the best design for an eight cylinder engine?   (assuming available space in the engine bay)

reginos:

I would be inclined to question whether a flat 8 would have a lower CoG than a vee engine, as one of the heaviest parts of the engine is the crankshaft.
    This resulted in the Carrera GT's engine being fitted with an ultra-small flywheel/clutch to allow the crank to be lower in the chassis. A boxer engine needs room for exhaust manifolds below the crankshaft centre-line, meaning the shaft itself cannot be as low in the car as might be the case with a vee.   Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 5/15/24 8:44 AM
    art.italy
    811716 1808
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    451598 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    270280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    91664 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    8479 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

890568 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    847881 3868
    Porsche GT4RS 4/21/24 11:50 AM