Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Tesla P85D vs Charger Hellcat

↵

Which would you choose..... for me the answer is easy - I love the noise. How about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWQ-dnpplaA

Re: Tesla P85D vs Charger Hellcat

Easy choice... Electric motors belong in vacuum cleaners and food blenders. Hellcat is a pretty cool car. Not very good looking, not very sophisticated, but there's something about it.

--

Suzy

I had car issues late last week and rented a Hemi Dodge Charger to take the family up to the cottage. What a PoS. Seriously, people say the Tesla interior is lacking (and I agree compared to a 7 series or even e-class) but the Charger, I haven't been in many "Domestic" cars recently but I thought they were supposed to have gotten better?!? Cheap, CHEAP plastic everywhere with rough edges. cruise control that came out of 1984 (loose speed, shift down two gears and accelerate then shift back up. OVER and Over again), just terrible gearbox computer management period. 

That Hellcat might have a fun engine but it sits in a crap car. I'd take the Tesla any day of the week.   

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

SuzyF:

Easy choice... Electric motors belong in vacuum cleaners and food blenders. Hellcat is a pretty cool car. Not very good looking, not very sophisticated, but there's something about it.

Just says Alpha Male all over it?

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T

W8MM:
    SuzyF:

That's not really how I look at it... (I'm not into Alpha Males Smiley). It's more like one of the last cars of a breed. Good and honest, old-fashioned American muscle car, but still good and sophisticated enough to be kind of "modern". If that makes any sense.  (It probably doesn't...) Smiley  

--

Suzy

Just says Tom Berenger all over it?

The Tesla would be boring in most situations IMHO, while the Dodge would always have that exhaust note. While not a huge fan of either, I would take the Dodge. 

The rush of electric torque for me please. The noise is just noise when you experience instant full torque....Tesla for me please

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

Tesla is the future. Safer, cleaner, cutting edge tech. 

W8MM:
    SuzyF:

Smiley You have a point here, Mike. Whenever I park my Shelby GT 500, I get quite many smiles from women, incl. my wife's friends (she has noticed it and doesn't understand the attraction of the Shelby). Smiley These cars have something brutish about them, it is difficult to explain. Also interesting: Most women think this is a very old car, they are highly surprised each time I tell them this is a 2014 model. Weird.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

palenimbus:

Boring, sterile, full of tech nobody understands (I do but I couldn't care less about it in a car), generic, soul-less...I could continue for an hour. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    palenimbus:

Boring, sterile, full of tech nobody understands (I do but I couldn't care less about it in a car), generic, soul-less...I could continue for an hour. Smiley Smiley

Smiley couldn't agree more. I've driven the Tesla pretty extensively when visiting family in California and the first 15 minutes, it's nice and fun, because it's new and different. After those 15 minutes, it turns into another boring sedan, that isn't such a good car as many people want to make us believe. Didn't like the driving experience very much. Build quality isn't on par with its pricetag either (maybe that has improved over the last two years though... Don't know). It definitely isn't my cup of tea.

I'd much more prefer the Charger, eventhough it isn't as retro and "muscle car" as a Challenger. And even without the Hellcat engine, but with the "regular" 6.2 V8, it would still be a lot more desireable. (I actually like what they've done in terms of the interior of this car. Huge improvement over the pre-facelift model).

--

Suzy

RC:
    palenimbus:

And drives as shitty as Citroen CX from early 1980s. In drive dynamics Tesla P85D is by far the worst car in its segment. 

There is no other cars in Tesla's segment. It's the only full size battery powered electric car.

The Tesla Model S is not a sports car, in fact while you see a lot of youtube videos showing off it's incredible acceleration it actually couldn't make it one lap around the n-ring at full speed without the batteries overheating. Would be more fair to criticize the drive dynamics of the Tesla roadster.

But 10 years from now fully electric cars will be the norm, combustion cars will probably be banned from many European city centres in the future, not just because of climate change concerns but because of localized air quality.

So you dinosaurs better start to get with the program indecision

palenimbus:

There is no other cars in Tesla's segment. It's the only full size battery powered electric car.

The Tesla Model S is not a sports car, in fact while you see a lot of youtube videos showing off it's incredible acceleration it actually couldn't make it one lap around the n-ring at full speed without the batteries overheating. Would be more fair to criticize the drive dynamics of the Tesla roadster.

But 10 years from now fully electric cars will be the norm, combustion cars will probably be banned from many European city centres in the future, not just because of climate change concerns but because of localized air quality.

Would you buy a car today for an eventuality which may (or may not) arise in 10 years time?

--

fritz

palenimbus:

Not a chance. Smiley Traditional hybrids will definitely increase in popularity, and cars that have the ability to use fully electric and/or combustion (like e-mode only), but it will be a long time before fully electric cars are the norm. IMHO, of course. Smiley

SuzyF:
    It's more like one of the last cars of a breed. Good and honest, old-fashioned American muscle car,

I think it's more like the "bad boy" of cars. Smiley

As long as electric cars will have excessive weight, I doubt I will enjoy them. I could imagine driving a Tesla in the US if I had to commute in LA from A to B each and every day (this can be pretty stressful) but over here in Germany? On the Autobahn or even in the city? Not really. 

--

RC:
    W8MM:
    SuzyF:

Smiley You have a point here, Mike. Whenever I park my Shelby GT 500, I get quite many smiles from women, incl. my wife's friends (she has noticed it and doesn't understand the attraction of the Shelby). Smiley These cars have something brutish about them, it is difficult to explain. Also interesting: Most women think this is a very old car, they are highly surprised each time I tell them this is a 2014 model. Weird.

RC - Hey... this is the only reason I drive a Harley Smiley

But honestly.... that little 356 Speedster is the pure nut-cracker. Every women likes it and gives you a cute smile .... and RC - believe or not.... way below 100 HP -  and 0 to 60 you better never measure SmileySmiley

Here's a little insight into what car buyers prefer when they have a choice of low-emissions concepts:

http://evfleetworld.co.uk/news/2015/Jul/Half-year-ULEV-registrations-exceed-2014-total/0438020733

--

fritz

Lars997:
    RC:
    W8MM:
    SuzyF:

But honestly.... that little 356 Speedster is the pure nut-cracker. Every women likes it and gives you a cute smile .... and RC - believe or not.... way below 100 HP -  and 0 to 60 you better never measure SmileySmiley

Smiley Smiley

Yesterday, I picked up my daughter at school in my 991 GTS Cab. All her class mates were outside because they had taken a class group photo. My daughter just called me ten minutes ago and told me that everyone, mostly the girls in her class, asked if this was her dad who picked her up. They told her that she has a pretty cool dad and this made her so proud. Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:
    RC:
    W8MM:
    SuzyF:

Smiley Smiley

Yesterday, I picked up my daughter at school in my 991 GTS Cab. All her class mates were outside because they had taken a class group photo. My daughter just called me ten minutes ago and told me that everyone, mostly the girls in her class, asked if this was her dad who picked her up. They told her that she has a pretty cool dad and this made her so proud. Smiley

hehe... even my 5 year old tells me in what car she wants to picked up Smiley

Let us enjoy this little fame.... we don't get anything else Smiley

Lars997:

Speak for yourself... Smiley

--

RC:
    Lars997:

Speak for yourself... Smiley

Big mouth Smiley

SmileySmileySmiley

Nice to see the new P85D upgrade to 762hp and 0-60 now in 2.8 seconds - 1/4mile in 10.9....

And the upgrade is called Ludicrous mode SmileySmiley
    --

EnglishManInNY:

Nice to see the new P85D upgrade to 762hp and 0-60 now in 2.8 seconds - 1/4mile in 10.9....

And the upgrade is called Ludicrous mode SmileySmiley
    --

As long as nobody puts a sudden corner in front of it, ludicrous mode sounds like fun.Smiley

The same could be said about the hellcat I am sure....

--

EnglishManInNY:

The same could be said about the hellcat I am sure....

No doubt about it, but it's 60 grand cheaper.

Flip phone or smart phone?

--

Smartphone that flips?

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690466 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409737 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255993 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235271 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65645 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858398 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774675 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM