Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: New Audi A4 .... Zzzzz

Huh, you live and learn...never heard of that car before

But seriously, there was a lot of influence on the B3 design, heck the roofline is still there on the new one (great piece of design imo btw}

I do like this car. I'll admit that Audi was lazy with the exterior. But when you look over the obvious, you realize that this car is packed with technology and a lot lighter than the previous model (up to 120 kg - the base model weight something like 1300 kg!!). This car might even drive better than a equivalent BMW.

You also have to look at the competition.

The 3-series is not what it used to be, which is way worst than an Audi A4 who just looks the same as the old one.

If any of you had the chance to drive an F30, you'll know what I mean. The steering feel is numb and everything has gone soft (suspension, handling, etc.). Plus, the BMW fells heavy on its feet (IMHO). And I haven't yet made any  mention of the cheap plastics used inside the cabin.... You really have to take the merino leather + leather dash to have a good looking interior.

The mercedes is nice, but you have to go for the AMG models to get things right (C63 or at least C450 AMG, which is very promising).

All things considered, a new S4 with 4WD and 360bhp with THAT cool interior as a DD sounds nice to me. Smiley

You also have to look into the details to see the appeal of this car8334951300x551AA4D151016.jpg
    Audi-A4-Avant-2015-Sitzprobe-1200x800-87e9e57772b97a7a.jpg
    Audi-A4-Avant-2015-Sitzprobe-1200x800-c2ff7da8c18ec6da.jpg
    Audi-A4-Avant-2015-Sitzprobe-1200x800-974ff691c168010e.jpg

So the new A4 now also has the full screen instrument binacle like in the new TT  ( WIN ) but they still felt compelled to mount  a bolt upright even larger " iPad " to mess up what is otherwise a nice new flowing low cowl upper dashboard ( FAIL ) 

Most mid - cycle refreshes  look more updated than this this B9 

And recall that they introduced their new " metrosexual artiste from central casting " design chief two years ago to much fanfare who promised no more same old same old !

Smiley

MKW:

So the new A4 now also has the full screen instrument binacle like in the new TT  ( WIN ) but they still felt compelled to mount  a bolt upright even larger " iPad " to mess up what is otherwise a nice new flowing low cowl upper dashboard ( FAIL ) ...

Yeah, this aftermarket-tablet-bolted-to-the-dash look is a trend that needs to die a quick death.

MKW:

So the new A4 now also has the full screen instrument binacle like in the new TT  ( WIN ) but they still felt compelled to mount  a bolt upright even larger " iPad " to mess up what is otherwise a nice new flowing low cowl upper dashboard ( FAIL ) 

And recall that they introduced their new " metrosexual artiste from central casting " design chief two years ago to much fanfare who promised no more same old same old !

Smiley

It's an Audi, so I assume that screen is, as usual, retractable. If you don't need it, you can hide it. If not, than it's indeed a fail. Besides, the virtual cockpit is not standard. It's optional, which means they have to have a screen for the cars without the virtual cockpit.

--

Suzy

I really like Audi technology and love the R8, i've been driving almost all audis, and i tell you a fun story:

In the autostrada here there is still stupid people driving very fast and at just 2 cm from your back in order to help you move into the right lane, so when yuo look into the back mirror you normaly understand if you can "fight" with some acceleration and leave the car behind.... but with audis its impossible they look all the same so you cannot recon  if it is A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 A 9 A12 A11 A13 A14.....so i thougt it was a small audi....but it was a big A8 v10.........so he passed me on the right with no problems...hahahahah

--

993 c2

This call will sell like hot cakes . It inspires confidence, strength , is a clean and boring design , confortable, excellent interior , latest technology . Everything most people want when they bay a car , specially in this segment .

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

It's very - well...German isn't it. Yes, I'm sure it'll cosset it's occupants and be infuriatingly reliable - but certainly isn't a car you'd buy with your heart (as has already been said on this thread). 

--

991 Carrera Black\Black, XC90 Black\Black, 120 Cab Black\Coral Red - 2 kids, 1 dog

xander71:

I really like Audi technology and love the R8, i've been driving almost all audis, and i tell you a fun story:

In the autostrada here there is still stupid people driving very fast and at just 2 cm from your back in order to help you move into the right lane, so when yuo look into the back mirror you normaly understand if you can "fight" with some acceleration and leave the car behind.... but with audis its impossible they look all the same so you cannot recon  if it is A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 A6 A7 A8 A 9 A12 A11 A13 A14.....so i thougt it was a small audi....but it was a big A8 v10.........so he passed me on the right with no problems...hahahahah

1435907300315gazzo.png

Saw it live and believe it or not, I actually like it. More than the BMW 3 series for example and while the new Mercedes C class looks "fresh", I kind of like the A4 more, I can't help it.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

amazon:

Plus, the BMW fells heavy on its feet (IMHO). And I haven't yet made any  mention of the cheap plastics used inside the cabin.... You really have to take the merino leather + leather dash to have a good looking interior.

BMW interior plastics on 1, 2, 3 and 4 series cars is appalling. The base dakota leather is terrible, doing its best to look like coarse vinyl.

bridggar:

It's very - well...German isn't it. Yes, I'm sure it'll cosset it's occupants and be infuriatingly reliable - but certainly isn't a car you'd buy with your heart (as has already been said on this thread). 

Audi and the rest of the established brands know their customers very well. This premium middle class is generally addressed to people for whom emotion is not very relevant for the remit of this type of car. Therefore, they concentrate on other more important attributes which are crucial for the buying decision. Enthusiasts who buy a A4 can afford to also buy a Porsche for example and cover their other driving needs. The rest who want family/business transport they are fully covered by what the Audi has to offer.

The same applies to the VW Golf, a car which some people ridicule as boring and samey but it is selling in millions. An Alfa Giulietta for example, is supposed to appeal to the heart but very few care to buy it simply because in this class what counts is practicality, longevity and safety instead of a frenetic engine note.

Or the 991 Turbo which on the internet is "muted and boring" but it sells more units than all the other similarly priced sportscar together.

Successful manufacturers like the German brands are very studied in their product planning and they know the market very well and surely better than anyone of us.

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:
    bridggar:

Audi and the rest of the established brands know their customers very well. This premium middle class is generally addressed to people for whom emotion is not very relevant for the remit of this type of car. Therefore, they concentrate on other more important attributes which are crucial for the buying decision. Enthusiasts who buy a A4 can afford to also buy a Porsche for example and cover their other driving needs. The rest who want family/business transport they are fully covered by what the Audi has to offer.

The same applies to the VW Golf, a car which some people ridicule as boring and samey but it is selling in millions. An Alfa Giulietta for example, is supposed to appeal to the heart but very few care to buy it simply because in this class what counts is practicality, longevity and safety instead of a frenetic engine note.

Or the 991 Turbo which on the internet is "muted and boring" but it sells more units than all the other similarly priced sportscar together.

Successful manufacturers like the German brands are very studied in their product planning and they know the market very well and surely better than anyone of us.

Yes, true. I said it in earlier posts...we are the "3%", the customers who want something different than the majority of customers.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Boring boring boring Smiley This is one of the most boring design from Audi, even if we were in 2010 this car would be already outdated regarding desgn.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

J.Seven:

Boring boring boring Smiley This is one of the most boring design from Audi, even if we were in 2010 this car would be already outdated regarding desgn.

It looks boring in photos but more bold than boring in reality. It is difficult to explain.

--

MKW:

Smiley

Couldn't agree more. The TT system is amazing and finally departs from the aftermarket look that started so many years ago with poorly integrated screens in the middle of the dashboard. 

Understaded, modern curves, elegant, classy. On top of that the leader in the tech department. The base model is of course always quite boring in any model and I've never been a fan of sedans. The Avant is much better. With the right wheels, packages, colur and config it will be the perfect daily driver. S4 avant will be a good one for sure but I can live with the 272hp diesel. I'll take one in Daytone gray with black-pack or Mythos black with alu optics and de-badge it.

Like was mentioned here before I draw some parallells to Apple and Bang & Olufsen design and don't be surprised - my house look like that inside out so an Audi is the perfect car for me. I would love to have a GT3 RS as well, but that one would mainly be driven on the track. Would put it on a trailer on my S4 and drive the GT3 RS to the track smiley

Do I have to say that I never would by a car in a non grey/silver/black colour (even the GT3 RS - of course in GT Silver). Call me boring, I can live with that. Just the same way that I would never show up in a red, green or yellow suit with Hawaii shirt either. Black, blue or grey suite with elegant shoes - thank you! indecision

Even Renault is putting out a better looking car ... IMO

Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_0c.jpg
    Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_01.jpg
    Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_07.jpg

Point is in your opinion. 

If you like this Talisman (what a name, beyond stupid) better then new A4... That is your, very subjective opinion.

I wouldn't say that this - what's its name? Talisman? really stupid indeed - looks better than the new A4, but I really think that Renault's recent design changed for the better. Have a look a the new Espace, really nice design (for such a car) with some clever design elements. Sorry for off-topic.

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

KresoF1:

If you like this Talisman (what a name, beyond stupid) better then new A4... That is your, very subjective opinion.

I still can't work out whether you are trying to introduce some  ...  um, objectivity Smiley ..... or humour into the discussion.  SmileySmiley

PS: I also don't get the problem with the name Talisman?  
    There are so many weird, synthetic car model names out there (I won't even start quoting examples, as there are so many) that I think that Renault has been very fortunate to find a "real" English name that has a real meaning with a positive aura (good luck charm), will be relatively easy to remember and pronounce, and has not already been registered as a trademark by some other company.  
    Maybe just a problem for those who were not previously familiar with the word?  Smiley
    --

fritz

fritz:
    KresoF1:

I still can't work out whether you are trying to introduce some  ...  um, objectivity Smiley ..... or humour into the discussion.  SmileySmiley

Fritz,

Smiley

Just wait for next S class size Renault which will use LL Cool R name.Smiley

fritz:
    KresoF1:

There are so many weird, synthetic car model names out there (I won't even start quoting examples, as there are so many) that I think that Renault has been very fortunate to find a "real" English name that has a real meaning with a positive aura (good luck charm), will be relatively easy to remember and pronounce, and has not already been registered as a trademark by some other company.  
    Maybe just a problem for those who were not previously familiar with the word?  Smiley
    --

fritz

Fritz,

Talisman is first of all not an english word. It is translation from arabic word "tilasm". 

Talisman will protect someone from what? Car that spreads good fortune and protects against bad omens?

Come on! What's next? Fiat Totem? Mazda Cross? 

KresoF1:
    fritz:
    KresoF1:

--

fritz

Fritz,

Talisman is first of all not an english word. It is translation from arabic word "tilasm". 

Talisman will protect someone from what? Car that spreads good fortune and protects against bad omens?

Come on! What's next? Fiat Totem? Mazda Cross? 

Yeh ,right, so the car-buying world is going to associate the name Talisman with Arabic. I don't think.   Smiley

How about meaningless or really dumb names such as:  Toyota Starion, VW Tiguan, VW Up!,  Datsun (later Nissan) Fairlady, AMC Gremlin, Pontiac Aztek, Subaru Legacy (something your dead aunt left you?), Dacia Logan (Johnny?), Ford Ka, Ford Kuga, Suzuki Jiminy,  just about any Hyundai or Daewoo model, most certainly every SsangYong model. Remember how much fun people had with the Porsche Gayman, or how many people still have problems spelling Porsche Boxter or Porsche Cheyenne correctly?

Compared with so many of those, Renault Talisman is almost ingenious. Smiley

--

fritz

KresoF1:

Wow, thats the name? I didn't even realize as I just saw the pics and clicked through them, we agree on that, it's a stupid name. But yeah that's one of the beauties of having options, something for everyone. Although I'd never buy a Renault, no matter how good it looked. If I had to choose looks over reliability I'm sure a german would take that cake home.

I also think that the Renault looks amazing compared to the A4 or 3series. The A4 looks like the old one. No need to get a new car and also - the new one looks already dated to to the similarity  - very very weak... hoped for some more innovations. 

Renault... the name is very cool. Better Talisman than A3.... 320.... C350..... Hey - this at least shows some creativity. The new Renault offers lots of innovations in this class. I.e 4-wheel-steering.... I only seen on a class above. I also have to say I like the look of the new Espace. Great design and same here - very innovative car.

Hope they are successful.

Lars997:

I also think that the Renault looks amazing compared to the A4 or 3series. The A4 looks like the old one. No need to get a new car and also - the new one looks already dated to to the similarity  - very very weak... hoped for some more innovations. 

Renault... the name is very cool. Better Talisman than A3.... 320.... C350..... Hey - this at least shows some creativity. The new Renault offers lots of innovations in this class. I.e 4-wheel-steering.... I only seen on a class above. I also have to say I like the look of the new Espace. Great design and same here - very innovative car.

Hope they are successful.

It is so interesting to read. I completely disagree with everything you wrote Smiley. But hey, that's what's make it fun and also proves that there is room for different alternatives Smiley

Enmanuel:

Even Renault is putting out a better looking car ... IMO

Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_0c.jpg
    Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_01.jpg
    Renault-Talisman_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_07.jpg

Looks like a more stylish VW Passat to me... Smiley Smiley

--

Lars997:

I've never owned and Audi or really been a fan. When trying to decide on a new small SUV for my wife recently we looked at the Q3 and Q5. Not being a follower of the brand, I asked the salesman when the Q3 was due for a facelift and was amazed when he told me that it had just had one; it already looked outdated and very bland. 
    Ended up not even bothering to do a test drive. 

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688075 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408501 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255461 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234685 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65314 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857416 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773075 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM