Crown

Board: Other Sports Cars Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

New Audi A4 .... Zzzzz

Sleepy designs seem to be the current trend at Audi, what a lazy attempt. There is (IMO) nothing, to like about the looks of the new A4. Yeah it's an small "entry level" german sedan, but they could've at least tried to make it look good. 

Audi-A4_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_01.jpg
    Audi-A4_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_07.jpg

Audi-A4_2016_1280x960_wallpaper_0c.jpg

Re: New Audi A4 .... Zzzzz

I think in the so called premium class buyers prefer this type of designs. Safe designs, generally enjoyable and inoffensive to the eye. Solid but not extreme.

Buyers also don't care too much about high performance, challenging handling and exhausts notes. They like high cabin quality, robust bodies  

safe handling and comfortable cruising. Most of the cars sold in this class are turbodiesels which proves something.

Audi like BMW and Mercedes know this market very well.

I am sure Audi will sell as many A4s in a week as Alfa Giulia in a year.

--

"Form follows function"

I can barely tell the difference on the outside. While I am a fan of their interiors the exteriors on their latest designs are among the most boring in the industry. Credit to the likes of Hyundai for example (can't believe I am saying this) for having much better striking exteriors. 

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

I had a good lough at the familiar thread title. indecision

Other than that, I couldn't agree more, when I saw the first pics a while ago, I was thinking Audi totally ran out of ideas...

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I love it!  I already liked the previous one and this looks the same, only a tad more modern. Now quickly bring that RS5 with a n/a V8 and I'll immediately sign an order.

--

Suzy

I like it. New A4 3.0TDI quattro with 272ps and 8 speed tiptronic will be awsome daily driver. 

I would buy it. On the other hand I would not take new Gulia even for free (some most likely it will brake down sooner or later).

KresoF1:

I like it. New A4 3.0TDI quattro with 272ps and 8 speed tiptronic will be awsome daily driver. 

I would buy it. On the other hand I would not take new Gulia even for free (some most likely it will brake down sooner or later).

Giulia is still on top of my list, although the A4 looks better to my eyes (for a daily driver at least), but the Giulia is an Alfa Romeo and there's no brand I love more than that. They don't brake down. I've owned two myself and my parents more than 10  over 25 years or so and they never had an issue. I just hope that the fit and finish is more on par with the German premium brands this time. That was the biggest downside for me of Alfas from the last 20 years.

--

Suzy

Audis are always examples of design from the Bauhaus movement and may not appeal to many drivers.  However, once again, that is by design and an integral part of the Audi corporate culture.  It is the execution of simple elements and proportions are Audi trademarks and are exemplified within this new car.  

I just can't put Audi in the same class as MB and BMW since it is engineered as a FWD car

And Alfa..."this time is different! for real''

In the end it all comes down to the feeling behind the wheel, Audi for me was never as good as a BMW

Original TT was one of the worst cars I've ever driven

Alfa might even be able to deliver judging by the specs and then the looks become irrelevant

lor:

I just can't put Audi in the same class as MB and BMW since it is engineered as a FWD car

In the end it all comes down to the feeling behind the wheel, Audi for me was never as good as a BMW

Alfa might even be able to deliver judging by the specs and then the looks become irrelevant

Haven't checked out the last from MB and BMW, have you?

Alfa is very much limited by its FCA ownership.  It is a pipe dream of Marchionne and one that parallels his dream of making Maserati the profit engine of that hobbled group.  Maserati failed with many dealerships in the United States having 2014 inventories, at the time of writing this post, in excess of 2015 inventory levels.  

U.S. car magazines have had Audis outpacing the corresponding models by BMW and Mercedes.  

lor:

So, you belong in very big group of Croats that love Alfa Romeo.Smiley

164 was the worst car that I driven, closely followed by 156 (I must admit that I loved 156 orginal design).

Oh, I do not like Megan, Clio amd Civic in their sporty versions as will.

If you want pretty interesting rwd car check out M235i, both manual and automatic. 

New Gulia? Again, let's at least wait for final specs. It is based on shorted new Ghibli platform and new Ghibli... Is not good car at all... It only and really only has nice exhaust sound.

A4 is the white goods of cars.

I have driven current 3 series(and all before) and previous model C(and many other MBs) ...thing is I have my own standards what makes a good car and don't care much what tests say...for me car has to have no understeer of offer a way to drive around the understeer and if it doesn't its crap to me no matter how fast or grippy it is...I rate little Toyota MR2 latest gen as a better chassis than a Lotus Elise which has more grip, changes direction faster and is faster in general but in MY HANDS they just understeer...and I don't care what some pro racer can do with it, he's not going to be driving me around

My favorite journalist considering the taste in cars was John Barker from Evo who is now gone , went to work for Jag with Metcalfe I think. I don't speak German so don't know what their guys think

FCA could make their plan work if they play it well, market seems to like either premium or cheapest cars, mid class where Fiat Lancia Alfa were is hard to sell, they have to make their cars premium

lor:

I have driven current 3 series(and all before) and previous model C(and many other MBs) ...thing is I have my own standards what makes a good car and don't care much what tests say...for me car has to have no understeer of offer a way to drive around the understeer and if it doesn't its crap to me no matter how fast or grippy it is...I rate little Toyota MR2 latest gen as a better chassis than a Lotus Elise which has more grip, changes direction faster and is faster in general but in MY HANDS they just understeer...and I don't care what some pro racer can do with it, he's not going to be driving me around

My favorite journalist considering the taste in cars was John Barker from Evo who is now gone , went to work for Jag with Metcalfe I think. I don't speak German so don't know what their guys think

FCA could make their plan work if they play it well, market seems to like either premium or cheapest cars, mid class where Fiat Lancia Alfa were is hard to sell, they have to make their cars premium

Maybe your driving style is not the very best one?

Did you drove 458 Italia or 458 Speciale? They understeer on the limit. It is Ferrari's safety net. 

FCA builds crap, especially in the United States and Canada, and a significant reason why the company struggles financially.  Today FCA officials are appearing before a NHTSA hearing on failures to properly recall heavily defective vehicles.  I'll stay with the Volkswagen Group vehicles.  

Wow... I've always hated cars that were "overdesigned", with too may details and design curves, etc going on.... the new A4 however... it seems like it wasn't designed at all! Nothing special, nothing exciting, just... vanilla car... Really weird to see!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I haven't driven any Ferrari or Lamborghini ever

Did drive the R8 V8 if it counts as a Lambo and actually liked it and would rate it as a very very good and talented car, just not to the point i'd want to own it also hated the interior because of asimetrical shape which drives me nuts in any car, better chassis than a Boxster/Cayman for me probably because of a longer back

And my driving style sure isn't perfect buy it is what I have to live with, my point was that it is more important how a car suits you personally and not some journalist or racer or whoever

Joost:

Wow... I've always hated cars that were "overdesigned", with too may details and design curves, etc going on.... the new A4 however... it seems like it wasn't designed at all! Nothing special, nothing exciting, just... vanilla car... Really weird to see!

They succesfully stole that idea from Porsche Smiley

--

Suzy

Rossi:

I had a good lough at the familiar thread title. indecision

Exactly what I was going for, trying to recover some of what was lost Smiley

SuzyF:
    Joost:

The new A4 is probably one of the most designed cars currently in or entering production and many of its details are obscured in the photographs.  German automakers build cars with the intent of showing off to the other German automakers with levels of technical sophistication.  Audi has a core competence in bending sheet metal, both steel and aluminium, that is unrivaled in the industry.

It would make an awesome tan sedan! High performance cloaked in "nothing to see here". kiss

Gladstone:

It would make an awesome tan sedan! High performance cloaked in "nothing to see here". kiss

Yes and that is why the performance variants are so wonderful - the ultimate Q ship!

CGX car nut:
    SuzyF:
    Joost:

The new A4 is probably one of the most designed cars currently in or entering production and many of its details are obscured in the photographs.  German automakers build cars with the intent of showing off to the other German automakers with levels of technical sophistication.  Audi has a core competence in bending sheet metal, both steel and aluminium, that is unrivaled in the industry.

Smiley That's probably why I like them so much. At least I think so.i like their sort of minimalistic approach. I like Audis for the same reason why I like, for example, Apple products and Bang & Olufsen products, if that makes any sense. They just suit me for some reason.

--

Suzy

Just sold my latest Audi (an S3) today. The period of ownership lasted all of 8 months this time before extreme boredom set in and I was not at all sad to see it go. Every time I buy an Audi I end up regretting it as they are just unremittingly dull to drive although well engineered. They are emotion free zones on wheels in spite of what their marketing may claim. It's like automotive mogadon. I replaced it with a new Boxster S that I got a great deal on and I couldn't be happier to have a Porsche back on fleet smiley

ISUK:

Just sold my latest Audi (an S3) today. The period of ownership lasted all of 8 months this time before extreme boredom set in and I was not at all sad to see it go. Every time I buy an Audi I end up regretting it as they are just unremittingly dull to drive although well engineered. They are emotion free zones on wheels in spite of what their marketing may claim. It's like automotive mogadon. I replaced it with a new Boxster S that I got a great deal on and I couldn't be happier to have a Porsche back on fleet smiley

Can't argue with that... I would never replace my Boxster with any Audi (or most other cars for that matter).

However, as a business car/daily driver, they are just perfect for me. I genuinly miss my previous A6 Avant. I would happily trade in my M4 to get it back.... Smiley

--

Suzy

CGX car nut:

I know! Still doesn't make me want it though... I guess an A4 is not a car you order with your heart but with your brain. 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Joost:
    CGX car nut:

I know! Still doesn't make me want it though... I guess an A4 is not a car you order with your heart but with your brain. 

It depends, for example, in the northern Midwest section of the United States, during the winter season an Audi makes much more sense than a Mercedes, BMW or Porsche.  Another important factor is the discretion factor of Audi ownership when compared with the other premium brands.  

SuzyF:

Can't argue with that... I would never replace my Boxster with any Audi (or most other cars for that matter).

However, as a business car/daily driver, they are just perfect for me. I genuinly miss my previous A6 Avant. I would happily trade in my M4 to get it back.... Smiley

I can understand using one as a business car as most journeys these days are on heavily congested roads where all you really want is a reliable conveyance to get around in and Audi make perfect cars for this.

They are victims of their own success though as when you sell cars in the sort of numbers they do then styling becomes a case of designing something that will appeal to the broadest spectrum of buyers as physically possible. When you then add to that the German automotive management mindset that everything must look like the same sausage just cut to different lengths then you get the identikit looks across the dozens of models they make. This new A4 is a perfect example of this. This photo shows that Audi's design department is even lazier than Porsche's Smiley The only true major advance in styling was the evolution of the B2 80 model into the B3 version in 1986 when they discovered the wind tunnel Smiley Since then it's been a case of nip and tuck every few years Smiley It's been successful though so inoffensive and subtle revisions sell. If you were to compare similar model segment cars from a company like Alfa Romeo for instance the styling of successive models gave radical new redesigns - Alfetta, Giulietta, 75, 155, 156, 159 would feature in a similar timeline photo to the Audi one below. That philosophy of total redesign hasn't worked nearly as well in terms of sales hence why the new Giulia follows German styling traits so heavily.

Model history.JPG

Wasn't B3 a facelift of a NSU RO80Smiley?

lor:

Wasn't B3 a facelift of a NSU RO80Smiley?

No, but the Volkswagen K70 was.  Smiley

volkswagen_k70_1971_photos_1.jpg

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/29/24 1:47 PM
    Enmanuel
    691198 1781
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    410270 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256291 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235442 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65765 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4747 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858905 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    775238 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM