Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

Rossi:
    pmarkow:

oday we had our test drive in the 488GTB on the hungaroring. we (12 ferraris) took off from vienna and drove out to budapest...quite a sight to behold for those we passed on the highway:::))))

after the introductory lap in our own cars (about fifty ferraris, see the first attached pic) on the track there were  individual test drives with the 488, fifteen minutes each. so there is really nothing on the 488's performance that i can add which you don't know already. estethically i really like the car, even the side scoops. as far as i am concerned the weakest part is the rear end, which seems overly busy. they had cars in rosso met (too dark for my taste), rosso corsa (much better) and one in giallo modena with black roof (Smiley 21). the sound: not bad for a turbo charged car, but nothing like the 458. 

all in all, it is a tough decision between the 458 speciale and the 488GTB but in the end i shall opt for the 488.

cheers peter

Sorry to say, but your driving report sounds frighteningly sobering. Smiley

you are so right.......the 488 has everything going for it brainwise, but not as far as the heart is concerned.

i am still working on a slot for the F12 VS, slim chances though.

peter

Peter,

Post more pics of the 488. Not the 458 devil

i didn't take more pics of the 488. strange, no:::))))? maybe i should add that the car pulls a lot, much like the F12. on track i did not feel turbo lag. just a crazy push forward, starting at very low revs. you need to be fast with shifting, the car reaches redline in no time.

p

ps: all in all, the 488 seems like a wonderful every-day supercar. practical and superfast, lots of traction, top electronics. is it a queen of hearts? probably not.

peter

You don't sound excited at all.

pmarkow:

ps: all in all, the 488 seems like a wonderful every-day supercar. practical and superfast, lots of traction, top electronics. is it a queen of hearts? probably not.

peter

So a car to replace a Turbo S, not an addition... Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

pmarkow:

peter

Is this lack of emotional feeling due to poor engine sound compared to 458? How about Huracan is this an option for you?

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

koko:

Strange when you say something like this about a Ferrari, no? Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

Rossi:
    koko:

True. I guess he wants something more aggressive than 488.

Could always buy a Huracan. It's probably a step above the Speciale in performance while retaining the engine noise and NA characteristics. Throw Trofeos on it if you want the max performance.

I like the huracan but it got nothing on the Speciale!

koko:
    Rossi:
    koko:

True. I guess he wants something more aggressive than 488.

I could understand if he said, the 488 leaves me cold in comparison to a Speciale, but I'm a bit worried as he said compared to a 458... Smiley

--

Stefan,

Friend of mine which owns 458 Speciale was on press drive in Italy about 20 days ago. He drove 488 GTB and directly compared it to his Speciale. 

At first, impression was that new car is not so exciting at all due to his sensory feel. Even worst, when he drove 488 GTB right after Speciale he felt that there is no contest which caris better and more exciting. 

But, then his colleague from one Italian car magazine step in 488 GTB and asked him to follow in his Speciale. It was a shock experience. 488 was so much faster in straight, in corners that he almost lost control of his Speciale in trying to keep up closely.  After pretty long evaluation they both came to conclusion that objectively 488 GTB is superior car and that about 98% of Speciale "sensory overload" excitement is coming purely from exhaust sound/engine note. 

Imagine engine is screaming at 9000rpm and you feel totally awsome... Split second later 488 GTB overtakes you without a sweat and suddenly you do not feel that awsome and some strange emotions are starting to surface...

That is what my friend wrote in his very long email with 488 GTB drive impression. 

Yes, 488 GTB is apparently less exciting sportscar in sheer Ferrari "sensory overload" way then Speciale. More "german in feel" to quote my friend. 

Is it better or not? I do not know. It is after all very subjective opinion how to value that "sensory overload" feel...

KresoF1:

Stefan,

Friend of mine which owns 458 Speciale was on press drive in Italy about 20 days ago. He drove 488 GTB and directly compared it to his Speciale. 

At first, impression was that new car is not so exciting at all due to his sensory feel. Even worst, when he drove 488 GTB right after Speciale he felt that there is no contest which caris better and more exciting. 

But, then his colleague from one Italian car magazine step in 488 GTB and asked him to follow in his Speciale. It was a shock experience. 488 was so much faster in straight, in corners that he almost lost control of his Speciale in trying to keep up closely.  After pretty long evaluation they both came to conclusion that objectively 488 GTB is superior car and that about 98% of Speciale "sensory overload" excitement is coming purely from exhaust sound/engine note. 

Imagine engine is screaming at 9000rpm and you feel totally awsome... Split second later 488 GTB overtakes you without a sweat and suddenly you do not feel that awsome and some strange emotions are starting to surface...

That is what my friend wrote in his very long email with 488 GTB drive impression. 

Yes, 488 GTB is apparently less exciting sportscar in sheer Ferrari "sensory overload" way then Speciale. More "german in feel" to quote my friend. 

Is it better or not? I do not know. It is after all very subjective opinion how to value that "sensory overload" feel...

just shows that speed is not everything

No, it isn't.  But, to achieve same speed in Speciale as in 488 GTB even the best driver need to work harder and as a potential byproduct experience some sweat.

Well there will be a 488 "Speciale". After all they are not exactly the same car segment even if people cross shop then...

I'm sure there will be... just like there was a 360 CS and a 430 Scud, there was a 458 Speciale and there'll be a 488 whatever.  Always money to be made on limited production 'Raris!

KresoF1:

No, it isn't.  But, to achieve same speed in Speciale as in 488 GTB even the best driver need to work harder and as a potential byproduct experience some sweat.

But does anyone buy a Ferrari for its effortless performance?  It's not a car that I think of when I consider the fastest and most efficient to get from A to B.  It's about fun and excitement, right?

Otherwise, why does anyone buy a 1962 250 GTO when a brand new California T is faster and easier to drive?

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Grant:
    KresoF1:

But does anyone buy a Ferrari for its effortless performance?  It's not a car that I think of when I consider the fastest and most efficient to get from A to B.  It's about fun and excitement, right?

Otherwise, why does anyone buy a 1962 250 GTO when a brand new California T is faster and easier to drive?

True. The big question is: HOW exciting is the 488 GTB really, perhaps not compared to a Speciale/Scuderia, but to a 458, Turbo S, Hurracan, 650 S, to name a few. Smiley

--

It will be very interesting to see in few weeks press comparos between 488, Huaracan and Mclaren 650. I wouldn´t compare 991TTS and R8 V10 to those, but it could be nice to see their figures too.

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

Rossi:
    Grant:
    KresoF1:

True. The big question is: HOW exciting is the 488 GTB really, perhaps not compared to a Speciale/Scuderia, but to a 458, Turbo S, Hurracan, 650 S, to name a few. Smiley

Now, that is the very good question! Smiley

For example is 488 GTB really worth extra 25K € over 570S (for cars with similar options)?

Most will say yes because it is Ferrari after all.

I wont compare it against 991 Turbo S since this car is aiming at different kind of buyers which value daily usability much more then "sensory overload".

R8 V10 Plus is most probably the best buy in junior midengine supercar market. But, most buyers in this class finds it unattractive or even ugly. 

Huracan? No fucking way! Only someone who is deeply in love with Huracan design could go for it. Wise person would know for the fact that Huracan is technically deficient car in comparison with new R8 V10 Plus.

pmarkow:

peter

I was also at Hungaroring for 488 test drive. The car is more like 991 Turbo S, how it drives and how it accelerates.

somehow the cars were limited to 7600 rpm rev limiter which comes so quickly without warning. You feel like you are shortshifting the car when you shift at 7500-7600 rpm.

The engine/exhaust sound from outside is nice; I like it. But from inside, you hear the turbo noise more and the exhaust sound less.  The experience doesn't fullfill you. The emotional part of the car is lost. The test cars in Maranello which are newer have higher rev limiter. Even Ferrari states that 670 hp at 8000 rpm.

The steering is the same as the 458 italia. But the driving feel of the car is filtered furthermore. IMO, the 458 is at the limit in this department. It should be the closest thing to daily drive. The 488 takes this to 2 steps further and now in Porsche terratory which is an unnecessary thing, IMO. The car is fast; there is no doubt about it. You feel the extra torque while accelerating at the midrange. But MP4-12C was faster than italia and 650S is faster than Speciale and Ferrari is always the exciting car albeit slower.

After driving the 488, I respect Lambo and Audi more for their brave move for keeping their NA engines. 

I'm not against turbo engine. Actually I like them in the right place. I have ordered an Audi S3 for my daily drive. But if I buy a Ferrari, I'm not buying it to be a super daily driver. I want emotion, sound, excitement. This things diffrantietes the Ferrari from the rest. Now, the ground of the game has changed for Ferrari, IMO. 

I hope, they will make the track version with more excitement. Otherwise, I either keep my italia more or switch to Speciale. I want a fast track car for sure but what I enjoy most while driving counts the most. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

KresoF1:

Stefan,

It is true that 488 has unbeliviable traction at the track. It was my first time at Hungaroring and I don't know the track at all so can't compare the handling directly with my italia (by the way my car is MY13 and has track setup riding on Trofeo R). I regularly track my italia at Istanbul Park and I drive very agresively. I have posted many videos at track; I even oversteer the car around 170-180 km/h. But I couldn't oversteer the 488 at Hungaroring evenif İn race mode. Since I had an italian instructor with me, I didn't push the car as I did with my car but nevertheless, I haven't lost the traction once. Also as I said before, the filteration from the chassie is too much IMO. You feel that the extra rigidity of the body but you also feel very comfortable, actually too much comfortable for lapping the track. 

The first impressions can change; but I really prefer Speciale even if it is 2 sec slower on Fiorano.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    pmarkow:

peter

I was also at Hungaroring for 488 test drive. The car is more like 991 Turbo S, how it drives and how it accelerates.

somehow the cars were limited to 7600 rpm rev limiter which comes so quickly without warning. You feel like you are shortshifting the car when you shift at 7500-7600 rpm.

The engine/exhaust sound from outside is nice; I like it. But from inside, you hear the turbo noise more and the exhaust sound less.  The experience doesn't fullfill you. The emotional part of the car is lost. The test cars in Maranello which are newer have higher rev limiter. Even Ferrari states that 670 hp at 8000 rpm.

The steering is the same as the 458 italia. But the driving feel of the car is filtered furthermore. IMO, the 458 is at the limit in this department. It should be the closest thing to daily drive. The 488 takes this to 2 steps further and now in Porsche terratory which is an unnecessary thing, IMO. The car is fast; there is no doubt about it. You feel the extra torque while accelerating at the midrange. But MP4-12C was faster than italia and 650S is faster than Speciale and Ferrari is always the exciting car albeit slower.

After driving the 488, I respect Lambo and Audi more for their brave move for keeping their NA engines. 

I'm not against turbo engine. Actually I like them in the right place. I have ordered an Audi S3 for my daily drive. But if I buy a Ferrari, I'm not buying it to be a super daily driver. I want emotion, sound, excitement. This things diffrantietes the Ferrari from the rest. Now, the ground of the game has changed for Ferrari, IMO. 

I hope, they will make the track version with more excitement. Otherwise, I either keep my italia more or switch to Speciale. I want a fast track car for sure but what I enjoy most while driving counts the most. 

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

Love your review Smiley

btw, when will the first 488 arrives in Turkey ??

let me take a step back and explain my impressions better. first of all, onur gave an excellent report on the 488's driving dynamics (much better than i ever could). also, onur's comparison with the turbo S is very valid....except that the 488 is the much more desirable car in every respect. it looks the part and for everybody not used to ferraris it is just plain 'want'. so my judgement is a bit from the spoiled person's perspective of a road driver (i have used the 458 as my only car for two years - not really as a DD since i travel around a lot and sometimes don't use the car for one or two months) while onur's is from a track-oriented person.

so where does the apparent lack of emotion come from? certainly it is the sound at least partly. also, i just could not make the 488's rear step out an inch, it feels soooooo planted, sort of like a 4WD car. eerie....all in all it seems super-civilized, even on track. on the road you don't need to downshift anymore when overtaking, just press the accelerator even when you are going at 1500 revs. the car just pulls. 

comparism to other cars in the same (or similar) class: huracan feels one or two steps down in all respects (particularly in practicality), audi R8 is too small and too ugly for my taste and the maccis.....well i would not even get close to them.

this leaves the speciale and the F12 from ferrari and the GT3 and GT3 RS from porsche....

btw, the ferrari instructor raved about the upcoming limited edition F12 VS.

cheers peter

Loooooool @ R8

did you hear anything about 488 spider? 

koko:

Loooooool @ R8

did not check on the 488 spider.

p

koko:

Loooooool @ R8

The car is ready (spider) but Ferrari is waiting for the next year.

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

A few pictures I took on Thursday @Hungaroring:

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

I am def not fond of the black plastic extending from the rear lights....just doesn't not look right...

--

2013 BMW 750 xDrive & 2014 x5 & 2014 991 TTS Cab 2014 BMW i3

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    766953 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    437880 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    261596 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    258552 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    83103 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5342 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

877951 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    810607 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM