Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

crayphile:
    noone1:

Is the upshift time fixed or is it still very throttle dependent?

Both I would say.

The second half of that is what bugs me. The click-wait-for-it-shift is, IMO, a huge flaw with how the cars feel. I remember a base Macan initiating the shift quicker than the McLarens. The shift itself is quick, but it's perceptively slow because of the latency between the click and the shift itself.

I really don't understand their logic in this. It doesn't actually accomplish anything desirable.

noone1:

Please stop driving over the speed limit on back roads. You're reckless and dangerous.

If that is a desperate attempt at trying to provoke me its not going to work Smiley its all good... plus it hinges on the fact that I would bother taking driving advice from you Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Oh come on Carlos and RC. You guys behave here like Judges and self-pleasing PPL. When RC talk about his Shelby and the Stability over 300 km/h on Highway Corners no one complains about the dangerous driving and now you guys come here and complain about noone1 statements and that a dragrace is uhhhhh what shall i say not the right behavour. And yes when you go on spirited driving you have all the time guys in front who clear the road .... hahaha - dishonest at best and far from reality. We are here to talk about cars and not to point all the time with the finger on other PPL.

hunterone:

Oh come on Carlos and RC. You guys behave here like Judges and self-pleasing PPL. When RC talk about his Shelby and the Stability over 300 km/h on Highway Corners no one complains about the dangerous driving and now you guys come here and complain about noone1 statements and that a dragrace is uhhhhh what shall i say not the right behavour. And yes when you go on spirited driving you have all the time guys in front who clear the road .... hahaha - dishonest at best and far from reality. We are here to talk about cars and not to point all the time with the finger on other PPL.

Well said Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

+1 

One who speeds with his family onboard is not in the best position to comment on this subject. wink

Back on topic!

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

crayphile:

At the risk of going back on topic Smiley, I just went for, shall we say a spirited  drive in the 720S on some country roads. Got held up Smiley by some Sunday drivers on multiple occasions but the 720S easily took advantage of short gaps shall we say. This is the real benefit of performance on a normal B road with traffic - and quite safe. It really is an astonishing machine and confirms what I and others have said before  - clearly the class leader for the moment. Mind bending acceleration and lovely steering feel and precision combined why a confutable ride and stability when required. I still think they have not quite nailed the  dual clutch gear change in the way Porsche and Ferrai have though.

You prefer it over all your other fabulous cars?Smiley

The reason why I ask is McLaren is growing on me. I am impressed with the 720. However, my concerns with McLaren are dealer location, service and depreciation.Smiley

--

"A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small bundle."

nberry:
    crayphile:

At the risk of going back on topic Smiley, I just went for, shall we say a spirited  drive in the 720S on some country roads. Got held up Smiley by some Sunday drivers on multiple occasions but the 720S easily took advantage of short gaps shall we say. This is the real benefit of performance on a normal B road with traffic - and quite safe. It really is an astonishing machine and confirms what I and others have said before  - clearly the class leader for the moment. Mind bending acceleration and lovely steering feel and precision combined why a confutable ride and stability when required. I still think they have not quite nailed the  dual clutch gear change in the way Porsche and Ferrai have though.

The reason why I ask is McLaren is growing on me. I am impressed with the 720. However, my concerns with McLaren are dealer location, service and depreciation.Smiley

First part you can't control. Second part the answer is they are great, the 3rd part is a given that's as reliable as the sun rising form the East. 

Get a second had one. Let someone else take the enormous haircut first.

--

bluelines:
    hunterone:

Well said Smiley

+1 - and I thought this morning there are 44 "news" on McLaren Smiley

nberry:

That’s not quite what I said. My point is that it is top in its class in which I would currently include the 488GTB, Huracan (not Performamte) and at slightly lower price points 991.2 Turbo S and R8 V10. You are right about depreciation - best to wait a year.

hunterone:

You need to understand one thing: When I drive a car, I analyze the driving in a way which pinpoints the weaknesses of a car. When I say dangerous, it is usually dangerous for regular drivers but not for me. I don't want to brag about my driving since only a few here know me personally but trust me, over 33 years of accident-free driving in high performance cars doesn't come from having a lot of luck. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

crayphile:
    nberry:

That’s not quite what I said. My point is that it is top in its class in which I would currently include the 488GTB, Huracan (not Performamte) and at slightly lower price points 991.2 Turbo S and R8 V10. You are right about depreciation - best to wait a year.

Very well said. I would get a 720S in a heartbeat if they had better lease Smiley offers and a slightly more dense dealership/repair shop network.

The 720S is a hypercar for supercar money, currently probably an unbeatable and an exceptional offer.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    hunterone:

You need to understand one thing: When I drive a car, I analyze the driving in a way which pinpoints the weaknesses of a car. When I say dangerous, it is usually dangerous for regular drivers but not for me. I don't want to brag about my driving since only a few here know me personally but trust me, over 33 years of accident-free driving in high performance cars doesn't come from having a lot of luck. Smiley

Join the club. I think you're not the only one with a clean record around here.

--

997.2 4S / BMW X5 40e / Donkervoort GT 

spudgun:
    RC:
    hunterone:

Join the club. I think you're not the only one with a clean record around here.

I never said that but it says a lot about my driving. Smiley Smiley

99% of my friends, incl. some you would call pro drivers, had a least one or two accidents in their lives. Accidents they caused. Smiley Sometimes, you do stupid things when you think you drive like a god. Such events bring you back to normal...if you survive them. 

--

TB993tt:

I was more or less told I wouldn't be getting a GT2RS by my dealer this weekend, they have 126 people who want one and I haven't bought enough cars from them in comparison to other better customers, purely business it seems and whilst they all seem to believe that the overs market will continue unabated and all GT2RSs will instantly show a 50K + profit they have to look after the people who have "looked after" them.

Following this I went to our local McLaren showroom (it is nearbye) and sat in the 720S and chewed the fat with the sales people. I am probably the most die hard Porsche guy on here (next to Leawood) having driven exclusively 911s since 1988 and I am seriously thinking about a change, I don't want to but I am finding it hard to channel my car emotions to a brand who IMO are not looking after their core support Smiley

On a Mclaren note, notice the measured torque figure, 771NM @ 6930rpm and peak power at 7580rpm that means the power curve is flat at right around 750PS for 650rpm, that is a LOT of power - an exciting Ricardo engine Smiley 

Well I've been researching hard on Mclaren road cars and spent even more time in the showroom, I really need a car with at least 3 seats to get the best use out of it but maybe I can get some DD use out of a two seater.

I was initially attracted to the 675LT but eventually decided that it wasn't really suitable as anything but a fun weekend car, its a bit wide, hard to get into, bad turning circle and pretty low also my Mrs thought it didn't look great Smiley

Next I thought hard about the 720S which is certainly an incredible thing and ticks most boxes but the more stuff I watched and read I didn't feel confident to get one of these in case I decided I didn't actually like the Mclarens, a short test drive doesn't really tell you what these cars are like to live with and use most days, For me spending 250+K with a risk that it didn't work for me and the probable large depreciation was too unpalatable..

The car which kept jumping out at me was the 570S, it looked fantastic and all the reviews showed to me that this car really is a sweet spot in the current line up sure it is not as ballistically quick as the 720S but it's certainly as quick as a 911 Turbo S and that's no slouch. I started thinking this could be the ideal Mclaren entry car which certainly could be an entertaining DD.

So back in the showroom Saturday afternoon, a new (used) car had come into stock. about an hour later my debit card had taken a beating.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

RC:
    hunterone:

It never gets old.

Smiley

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Congrats TB993tt can’t wait to hear your views on the car after a few miles. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

Congrats, I am sure it is a great car and you will have a lot of fun kiss

It looks absolutely brilliant Toby, looking forward to your impressions vs. Turbo S!

--

1992 Mercedes-Benz W124 500E / 2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS (sold) / 2014 BMW-Alpina D3 biturbo Touring / 2014 BMW-Alpina B3 biturbo Touring Allrad / 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Clubsport

Porker:
    RC:
    hunterone:

It never gets old.

Smiley

--

Why should it? Skills matter. Smiley Smiley

--

Congratulations, that 570S looks amazing and you certainly got a good deal. This car is a winner when it comes to the performance/value ratio. Smiley

--

Looks good, TB. Stick some of the latest rubber on it and you'll find that it's performance is a heck of a lot better than even the magazines claim. I've been tempted by Pacific Blue 570s. Great car for the (used) money.

Nice car congrats.

And RC: you are not the only Person in the whole world who can drive a car properly :)

hunterone:

Nice car congrats.

And RC: you are not the only Person in the whole world who can drive a car properly :)

Who said that? Smiley Why are you guys always so touchy? Smiley

--

It's crazy how good the LC has gotten that a RWD car can launch like this.

WARNING: The driving in this video will ruffle feathers of the professional drivers on this board.

noone1:

WARNING: The driving in this video will ruffle feathers of the professional drivers on this board.

Trust me, no "professional" driver gives a shit about drag racing. Smiley Smiley 

Unless you have a gas turbine with 2000 horses under the hood. Smiley

--

RC:
    noone1:

Trust me, no "professional" driver gives a shit about drag racing. Smiley Smiley 

--

That's what the American does thoughSmiley That's why they called Tesla a 'performance' car.

They can only do straights, corners to them are a foreign language.

--

RC:

So then why are you always so concerned about 200-300 times? 

noone1:
    RC:

So then why are you always so concerned about 200-300 times? 

Autobahn. I don't like it being "chased" by an AMG station wagon or RS6. Smiley

--

So then this exactly the type of video you'd want to see -- cars going flat out on a highway from various speeds.

noone1:

So then this exactly the type of video you'd want to see -- cars going flat out on a highway from various speeds.

Yeah but for him, it's legal for him to travel at those speed, AND their highway is built for those speed also, PLUS the other drivers are also used to seeing those speed on the highway.

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689282 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409069 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255686 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234938 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65494 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857875 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773873 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM