Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Well, whatever it weighs on a scale in a magazine. They said the 720 at 1425 kg with a full tank of fuel.

Porsche has the GT2RS listed as 1470kg DIN.

You see the difference in marketing? McLaren claims the 720S weights 1283kg dry. It forgets it needs another 142kg of fluids.

--

I love me a Porsche Turbo but I would jump ship for that 720 I saw this morning.  If I was single and needed a pussy magnet...   or one hell of a speeding ticket    I would not last one Friday night in either case   But I can dream about it

As a married man the Porsche makes more sense. Less temptations of all types. Let's face it cars like the 720 are contest cars but the 911 is all business and sensible. 

I hear that girls let guys with 720s touch their 🤐  (We never talk about such obvious topics - sign of the times)Smiley

the 720 is not the car that needs to be compared with a GT2RS - the 720 is a much more a GT road car than a track car. The LT version needs to be compared then in 1.5 years with the RS - but Nick is very entertaining kiss

BjoernB:

the 720 is not the car that needs to be compared with a GT2RS - the 720 is a much more a GT road car than a track car. The LT version needs to be compared then in 1.5 years with the RS - but Nick is very entertaining kiss

I do compare the 720s with the GT2RS - these are certainly the fastest cars available and in a very similar price and performance bracket. Of course, you are right - the 750LT will be quicker. But today we have the 720s to compare Smiley

noone1:

Have you ever looked into buying an old LP550? Manual transmission, similar engine as the Performante, RWD... probably overall a more involving experience. Many aftermarket exhaust options too.

The Gallardo is so bad compared to the Huracan, not even sure why you mention it.

I drove the old R8 and the new one back to back once and was surprised how bad the old one was (so happy I didn't get a used one).

Similar engine to Performante? Are you kidding? The Huracan engine shares maybe less than 5%(!) parts with the Gallardo engine, the V10 engine for the Huracan and R8 has been completely redesigned, even if the specs are similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

MKSGR:
    BjoernB:

I do compare the 720s with the GT2RS - these are certainly the fastest cars available and in a very similar price and performance bracket. Of course, you are right - the 750LT will be quicker. But today we have the 720s to compare Smiley

I wouldn't compare the 720S with the GT2 RS, two different cars in my opinion. The 720S is more of a road super sportscar (maybe even hypercar), the GT2 RS is more of a track beast with supercar performance. For me, two different pair of shoes.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    noone1:

Have you ever looked into buying an old LP550? Manual transmission, similar engine as the Performante, RWD... probably overall a more involving experience. Many aftermarket exhaust options too.

The Gallardo is so bad compared to the Huracan, not even sure why you mention it.

I drove the old R8 and the new one back to back once and was surprised how bad the old one was (so happy I didn't get a used one).

Similar engine to Performante? Are you kidding? The Huracan engine shares maybe less than 5%(!) parts with the Gallardo engine, the V10 engine for the Huracan and R8 has been completely redesigned, even if the specs are similar.

Bad how? It's more involving, the manual transmission fells good, it's RWD, it looks similar (like a Lamborghini), sounds similar, and is way cheaper. V10 vs V10. Huracan 580-2 isn't even that quick. Probably barely quicker than a Gallardo 550-2 aside from the DCT.

The Gallardo is objectively bad compared to a Huracan, but a Huracan is objectively crap compared to a 488 or 720S or 911 Turbo S, but there are cases to make for each.

The Gallardo is an old and outdated car and you can feel every bit of this if you drive the Gallardo back to back to the Huracan. 

Manual transmission? Seriously? Why? RWD? Again, why? More involving? Are you trying to kill yourself or have fun in this car? Smiley You can get "more involving" in a GT500, no need to get a Gallardo. Smiley

The Huracan is such a success because it is a fantastic car. What Lamborghini never counted in was that Ferrari and McLaren would take the power ladder a notch higher. 

Porsche engineers were very surprises with the 670 hp of the 488 GTB when it showed up. Everyone expected something around 600 or 620 but not 670, same goes to Lamborghini. They really thought that with 610 hp, the Huracan will be good for at least a couple of years.

--

Um, because he just said he doesn't care about being the fastest and prefers all the other aspects.

noone1:

Um, because he just said he doesn't care about being the fastest and prefers all the other aspects.

Then why not get an old Porsche 964 RS instead? Smiley

--

Rc what will porsche do to stay in the game with mclaren?

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

EnglishManInNY:

Rc what will porsche do to stay in the game with mclaren?

My hope is the 960... Smiley 

--

As of right now, Porsche is not quite in direct competition with McLaren in the consumer market place.

McLaren buyers are mostly from disgruntle Ferrari buyers who couldn't get an allocations. And fed up Lamborghini buyers who don't want to look like pimps and douchebags.

The ones that jumped ship from Porsche to McLaren are someone who wants to try something unique, different.

The doors is a big draw, but that's only for people who doesn't want to be discreet. 

The performance is also a big draw, the 570 is great 'value', and the 720 is the top dog benchmark right now.

These arguments mostly applied to 'normal' car buyers though, for serial buyers or collectors, they are just getting another car for the stable, not replacing anything. 

Now on the other side of the coin, for people that looks for reliability, Porsche is still king reputation wise.

Their race cars can last a 24hr race and more, while the McLaren can do 24 minutes at best before blowing up. Ferrari still has the reputation of breaking down and Lamborghini, well they go up in flames. 

--

Smiley Smiley

The 960 could be a game changer for Porsche but maybe they are even a bit late to the game since everyone seems to go into the direction hybrid and/or ELV. We'll see soon enough...I guess.

--

Whoopsy I agree with your view. If I had to have one sports car right now I would take the GT3 for the emotion and value. Especially since I could get the GT3 and MB GTR for the same price as the 720. But if I could buy another car along with the GT3 the 720 is the one over a Ferrari or Lambo right now.  

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

RC:
    MKSGR:
    BjoernB:

I wouldn't compare the 720S with the GT2 RS, two different cars in my opinion. The 720S is more of a road super sportscar (maybe even hypercar), the GT2 RS is more of a track beast with supercar performance. For me, two different pair of shoes.

I disagree - a GT2RS is a very normal car to drive, you could even say too boring. It is just very efficient and precise. The 720s is as efficient and precise (to be verified in the upcoming track tests...) but more thrilling and special to drive.

Most people completely misunderstand what a GT2RS is. The GT2RS is a very normal and underwhelming car. Unless you take it to the track. On the Autobahn it is also very nice. But in most other situations it is not so exciting to drive as you only feel how good it is at very high speeds. The 720s feels much more special in most of the situations Smiley

The GT2 RS is the fastest and meanest 911 variant, while the 720S is basically a hypercar for supercar money. While I like the GT2 RS a lot, of course, I do not think that it belongs in the same car category with the 720S.

--

RC:

The GT2 RS is the fastest and meanest 911 variant, while the 720S is basically a hypercar for supercar money. While I like the GT2 RS a lot, of course, I do not think that it belongs in the same car category with the 720S.

Agreed. I think, as people have mentioned on the thread the comparisons are taking place because that is what is on the market now. I hesitate to add the word "available" because that does not apply to the GT2RS Smiley.

Whoopsy:

As of right now, Porsche is not quite in direct competition with McLaren in the consumer market place.

McLaren buyers are mostly from disgruntle Ferrari buyers who couldn't get an allocations. And fed up Lamborghini buyers who don't want to look like pimps and douchebags.

The ones that jumped ship from Porsche to McLaren are someone who wants to try something unique, different.

The doors is a big draw, but that's only for people who doesn't want to be discreet. 

The performance is also a big draw, the 570 is great 'value', and the 720 is the top dog benchmark right now.

These arguments mostly applied to 'normal' car buyers though, for serial buyers or collectors, they are just getting another car for the stable, not replacing anything. 

Now on the other side of the coin, for people that looks for reliability, Porsche is still king reputation wise.

Their race cars can last a 24hr race and more, while the McLaren can do 24 minutes at best before blowing up. Ferrari still has the reputation of breaking down and Lamborghini, well they go up in flames. 

The modern cars aren't, 5 years and you need to make the switch before you get screwed Smiley

I said reputation, not in reality. smiley

I know modern Ferrari’s are reliable, had 5 of them and none broken down.

i know modern Lamborghinis are not just driven by pimps and douchebags, I have one. (Or maybe I AM a pump and a duchebag?)

I know McLarens are reliable too, my 12C never failed me

As for Porsche, well, you all know about my 918 and how much time it spent in the shopsurprise

In the end, it’s the general public’s perception of the reputation. 

--

Tesla Model S P100D tested in latest Sport Auto...

0-100km/h 3.2s

0-200km/h 13.0s

2275kg test weight

Klein Kurs Hockenheim 1.16,3min

Not bad for what it is.

noone1:

Not bad for what it is.

The lap time indicates a inferior setup/suspension Smiley Also, 0-200 for a car like this is quite Ok but not superior at all Smiley 

It's from 2011 and it's supposed to be a generic sedan. Can't blame them for that.

Whoopsy:

...Or maybe I AM a pimp and a douchebag?...

Can’t say anything about the pimp aspect, but you sure are no douchebag Nick! I still have very fond memories of our meet up in Vancouver! Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

0-100km/h is def faster than that in my model s p100d. But it def feels weak after 150km/h. But it is my station car so.....

i may be taking a test drive in a 720s next weekend. My wife will divorce me..... angry

--

Whoopsy:

Could this be changing with Porsche pricing approaching McLaren levels ?

I was more or less told I wouldn't be getting a GT2RS by my dealer this weekend, they have 126 people who want one and I haven't bought enough cars from them in comparison to other better customers, purely business it seems and whilst they all seem to believe that the overs market will continue unabated and all GT2RSs will instantly show a 50K + profit they have to look after the people who have "looked after" them.

Following this I went to our local McLaren showroom (it is nearbye) and sat in the 720S and chewed the fat with the sales people. I am probably the most die hard Porsche guy on here (next to Leawood) having driven exclusively 911s since 1988 and I am seriously thinking about a change, I don't want to but I am finding it hard to channel my car emotions to a brand who IMO are not looking after their core support Smiley

On a Mclaren note, notice the measured torque figure, 771NM @ 6930rpm and peak power at 7580rpm that means the power curve is flat at right around 750PS for 650rpm, that is a LOT of power - an exciting Ricardo engine Smiley 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN

KresoF1:

0-100km/h 3.2s

0-200km/h 13.0s

2275kg test weight

You should also mention those 15 minutes "preparing" time to be able to launch ludicrous mode. Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    KresoF1:

0-100km/h 3.2s

0-200km/h 13.0s

2275kg test weight

You should also mention those 15 minutes "preparing" time to be able to launch ludicrous mode. 

Good point well made...

Link: https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris-harris-drives/chris-harris-drives-tesla-model-s-p100d

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM