Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Carlos from Spain:

While we are asking, can we have a Tesla section classified under Off-topic -> Religion? smiley 1497879697817bhauen.gif

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

While we are asking, can we have a Tesla section classified under Off-topic -> Religion? smiley

Best post ever kiss

Carlos from Spain:

While we are asking, can we have a Tesla section classified under Off-topic -> Religion? smiley 1497879697817bhauen.gif

--

SmileySmileySmiley

Carlos from Spain:

While we are asking, can we have a Tesla section classified under Off-topic -> Religion-->Cultsmiley 1497879697817bhauen.gif

--

Fixed

--

martini964:
    Carlos from Spain:

While we are asking, can we have a Tesla section classified under Off-topic -> Religion? smiley

Best post ever kiss

X2 Smiley

McLaren Patent Application 20170101140, Adjustable component cooling device for controlling downforce generated by a vehicle
    SUMMARY OF INVENTION
    According to a first aspect of the present invention there is provided: an automobile comprising: a flap provided on the underside of the automobile, the flap being deployable from a first position in which, when the automobile is in motion, the flap extends minimally into the flow of air beneath the automobile up to a second position in which, when the automobile is in motion, the flap extends maximally into the flow of air beneath the automobile so as to reduce the downforce generated by the automobile; and a control unit adapted to receive one or more inputs that indicate the dynamic state of the automobile and select a position of the in dependence on the said dynamic state so as to control the downforce generated by the automobile, the control unit being configured so that if the inputs indicate that the automobile is undergoing braking the position of the flap is selected so as to counter the tendency of the automobile to dive due to braking.

Suitably the flap is positioned in a position between the first and second positions.

Preferably the flap is positioned in front of the front wheels of the automobile.

The inputs could include one or more of suspension load, automobile speed, lateral g-force, steering position, brake pedal force, brake pedal position, forward acceleration of the automobile, or the position of one or more active aerodynamic devices of the automobile.

According to a second aspect of the present invention there is provided: an automobile comprising: first and second flaps provided on the underside of the automobile, the first and second flaps being positioned symmetrically about the centreline of the automobile, wherein each flap is deployable from a respective first position in which, when the automobile is in motion, each flap extends minimally into the flow of air beneath the automobile, up to a respective second position in which, when the automobile is in motion, each flap extends maximally into the flow of air beneath the automobile so as to reduce the downforce generated by the automobile; and a control unit adapted to receive one or more inputs that indicate the dynamic state of the automobile and select positions of the first and second flaps between their respective first and second positions, the positions of the first and second flaps being chosen in dependence on the said dynamic state so as to control the downforce generated by the automobile, wherein if the inputs indicate that the automobile is cornering, the positions of the first and second flaps are selected so as to counter roll of the automobile.

Suitably the control unit is configured to select the positions of the first and second flaps such that the flap on the outside of the corner is extended to a greater degree than the flap on the inside of the corner.

Suitably the control unit selects the first position for the flap on the inside of the corner.

Preferably the first and second flaps are positioned in front of the front wheels of the automobile.

The inputs could include one or more of suspension load, automobile speed, lateral g-force, steering position, brake pedal force, brake pedal position, forward acceleration of the automobile, or the position of one or more active aerodynamic devices of the automobile.

Suitably, if the inputs indicate that the automobile is undergoing braking, the positions of the first and second flaps are selected so as to counter the tendency of the automobile to dive due to braking.

Suitably the positions of the first and second flaps elected between their respective first and second positions in dependence on the one or more inputs.

According to a third aspect of the present invention there is provided an automobile comprising: a cooling duct arranged to channel cooling air to a component of the automobile when the automobile is in motion, the cooling duct extending to underneath the automobile; a restriction located within the cooling duct, moveable from a first position in which airflow to the component is substantially unimpeded, to a second position in which the airflow to the component is substantially impeded, such that, when in motion, the automobile generates more downforce when the restriction is in the second position than when the restriction is in the first position; and a control unit configured to, if the temperature of the component is below a predetermined level, select the position of the restriction so as to control the downforce generated by the automobile and, if the temperature of the component is above the predetermined level, select the first position for the restriction.

Preferably the restriction comprises movable louvres.

Preferably the automobile comprises a front splitter, and the duct extends from a region above the front splitter to underneath the automobile.

Preferably the duct extends to a wheelarch of the automobile.

The said component could comprise the braking system of the automobile.

The said component could be a radiator.

The said component could be an engine compartment of the automobile.

The automobile could further comprises a second duct arranged to channel air from a region which is at relatively high pressure when the automobile is in motion to a region underneath the automobile, the second duct comprising a resilient elastic restriction arranged to substantially close off the duct, the duct being configured such that motion of the automobile generates a pressure difference across the elastic restriction, the elastic restriction being configured to open when the pressure difference approximately exceeds a predetermined value so as to allow air to flow from the relatively high pressure region to underneath the automobile and reduce the downforce generated by the automobile.

The region of relatively high pressure could be the cooling duct.

The region underneath the automobile could be in front of a front wheel of the automobile.

The resilient elastic restriction could be arranged to be substantially flush with a surface of the cooling duct when it substantially closes off the second duct.

The automobile could further comprise a flap positioned on the underside of the automobile, the flap being deployable from a first position to a second position such that there can only be an airflow from the relatively high pressure region to the relatively low pressure region through the second duct when the flap is deployed from its first position.

http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20170...0170101139.php
    http://www.freshpatents.com/-dt20170...0170101140.php

Basically letting air from over the car move to the underside in order to counteract diving and body roll. In the mean time it could be used to cool components... pretty interesting, and you'd think this would only work at very high speeds... 

Thanks for posting!

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Did the rounds at local dealers this weekend. Besides an amazing orange TDF at Ferrari, I was blown away by the Bentley SUV interior but more importantly by the 720S. This car looks and beats anything south of a hypercar and the attention to details is stunning (like the small roof glass or the rear airflow scoops, and the stunning interior with matte carbon). The dealer offer me the car for the weekend but I refused because I would probably end up without a license or wanting to buy the car that I have no real use for (2 seats and not convertible). Of note the new DB11 has rear seats about the size of the California ones...

SciFrog:

Did the rounds at local dealers this weekend. Besides an amazing orange TDF at Ferrari, I was blown away by the Bentley SUV interior but more importantly by the 720S. This car looks and beats anything south of a hypercar and the attention to details is stunning (like the small roof glass or the rear airflow scoops, and the stunning interior with matte carbon). The dealer offer me the car for the weekend but I refused because I would probably end up without a license or wanting to buy the car that I have no real use for (2 seats and not convertible). Of note the new DB11 has rear seats about the size of the California ones...

Your words clearly prove to me that you never looked at a R8, the details and it's interior. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

I have, there was one open in Aspen and looked at it every day. It was nice, red interior. I even posted a pic of it before. Audi dealer is not in my rounds though...

SciFrog:

I have, there was one open in Aspen and looked at it every day. It was nice, red interior. I even posted a pic of it before. Audi dealer is not in my rounds though...

Drive one...sit in it...touch the materials...then come back and tell us how you like it. Smiley

Every time people do that, they are in love with the car and the only excuse is..."but it is an Audi.." Well...

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

"It is a VW" indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:

"It is a VW" indecision

So is a Bugatti Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Fabspeed just did a wheel dyno

kingjr9000:

720S?  Very impressive to make 700hp at the wheel!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

bluelines:

"It is a VW" indecision

So is Porsche, Lamborghini, Bentley...and yes, Bugatti.

Newsflash: Your GT4 is a Cayman. Just in case you thought you got yourself a 911... Smiley

--

Grant:
    kingjr9000:

720S?  Very impressive to make 700hp at the wheel!

Indeed. Smiley

--

Drove the 720s two days ago for 3 hours mixed highway a/b roads. General impression is a big step up. This car is so fast and stable. The Acceleration from 200-300 is awesome and from the feeling as fast as 100-200 in many other cars. Max. Speed was 335 but not tried to do more.

Pros:

Look mostly inside and out - like a mini P1 especially from behind. Air channels. Details.

Build Quality

Visibility

Engine Performance but its aTurbo so for the NA Lovers they need to look further but no NA car will reach this performance

(High Speed) Stability

Overall Ride Quality in Comfort and Sport Mode

Cons:

Fuel Consumption – even higher than in my 12C. Went through a Tank in 150km highway driving

Gas Tank is as small as before

Gear Box in Sport Mode with that “unnatural” short interruption to simulate more emotions is for me counterproductive and brings under fast driving at a/b roads a little bit of instability to the car

Too much torque or better tires needed. The stock P Zeros are good but for this car you need Corsas or Trofeos.

Overall I love it and when I have the money for sure I would buy it.

In Austria the Tax is nowadays very high only EVs and Hybrids have very low tax so I wait for an Hybrid P14 or 992 Turbo S but in Germany I would buy this car in an heartbeat.

Thanks for the review. Must chase my dealer for a drive sooner rather than later.

RC:

Newsflash: Your GT4 is a Cayman. Just in case you thought you got yourself a 911... Smiley

SmileySmiley

The gloves have come off!

Gloves on. Don't want to hurt him. Or get banned indecision

--

bluelines:

You'll break yu nails , buddy Smiley Smiley..Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

--

throt:
    bluelines:

Smiley Smiley

C'mon guys...we all have chest hair (...or do we? Smiley Smiley).

--

Not sure, buddy. I remember when blue posted pice of him and his new arrivals . He didn't look too hairy, did he surprise..

Typical Swiss boy indecision..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

Not sure, buddy. I remember when blue posted pice of him and his new arrivals . He didn't look too hairy, did he surprise..

Typical Swiss boy indecision..

You mean Swedish, right? 

I love my Swedes hairless (well, in the "right" regions). Smiley Smiley

--

RC:
    throt:
    bluelines:

Smiley Smiley

C'mon guys...we all have chest hair (...or do we? Smiley Smiley).

We do, but do you have hair on your nails? Smiley You're really not a real man if you don't have hair on your nails... Smiley

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662551 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401288 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254605 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229254 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59631 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4381 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853574 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    762008 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM