Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

4trac:
    MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Just stunning. Only 100lbs extra and no loss of rigidity. Porsche is 20 years behind with its GT car offerings.

This looks like a car for girls. Much too feminin.

Rubbish.  It has elegance and lightness in its design - these are purely design characteristics, that many men can appreciate.  

I am sure that some men can appreciate the design as well. However, the car looks like a candy you sucked for some time and then spit out againSmiley

I wonder if they will do a 570GT Spyder, that would be the car to get 

--

Actually come to think of it, the next McLaren is always the one to get.

Whatever they have on sale, it will be old news in about 9 months anyway.

--

Oh oh, Markus ans Nick, get your flame suits on now... critisizing McLaren is almost as blasphemous as critisizing Tesla 

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:

I wonder if they will do a 570GT Spyder, that would be the car to get 

Smiley

Carlos from Spain:

Oh oh, Markus ans Nick, get your flame suits on now... critisizing McLaren is almost as blasphemous as critisizing Tesla 

I like the design of the 720s by now (still need to drive the car though) - this might mitigate their anger Smiley

MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

I like the design of the 720s by now (still need to drive the car though) - this might mitigate their anger Smiley

Ok, you are on probation for now, but don't push it Smiley

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Whoopsy:

Actually come to think of it, the next McLaren is always the one to get.

Whatever they have on sale, it will be old news in about 9 months anyway.

That's exactly what I've been saying. Then I got flamed by the ML fanboys. All two. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Three ;)

3.5 indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | Powerkit White - The fastest car on Rennteam
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

Hmm, I do have a 720S on order...................

--

Whoopsy:

Really? What happened? I thought you weren't such a fan of McLaren due to the fact that they are all essentially variations of the MP4-12 tub, combined with too many variants resulting in plumetting resale value... or do I have you mixed up with someone else?

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

No matter what people think of McLaren but they definetely set the bar much higher, especially for Porsche. Ferrari at least tried hard with their 488 but Porsche completely lost the performance advantage, even if their cars are fast on the track. I am actually surprised how McLaren does it, especially considering the size of the company.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

Joost:
    Whoopsy:

Really? What happened? I thought you weren't such a fan of McLaren due to the fact that they are all essentially variations of the MP4-12 tub, combined with too many variants resulting in plumetting resale value... or do I have you mixed up with someone else?

What happened? Well they moved away from the ugly joker face Smiley

For me the shark face now is a great improvement over the joker face, but still not as nice as the original 12C face.

--

RC:

No matter what people think of McLaren but they definetely set the bar much higher, especially for Porsche. Ferrari at least tried hard with their 488 but Porsche completely lost the performance advantage, even if their cars are fast on the track. I am actually surprised how McLaren does it, especially considering the size of the company.

Depends on what do you understand by "performance advantage". I couldn't care less about the power output or straight line acceleration (you can't seize all the potential of this cars on an open road unless you live in Germany). What I care about is lightweight, feeling, how the car behaves on a twisty road, design, you get my point right? 

And in this regard Porsche has no competition. 991R and .2 GT3 are the best examples of that. 

Whoopsy:
    Joost:
    Whoopsy:

What happened? Well they moved away from the ugly joker face Smiley

For me the shark face now is a great improvement over the joker face, but still not as nice as the original 12C face.

+1

--

Porsche, separates Le Mans from Le Boys

alexalex88:
    RC:

Depends on what do you understand by "performance advantage". I couldn't care less about the power output or straight line acceleration (you can't seize all the potential of this cars on an open road unless you live in Germany). What I care about is lightweight, feeling, how the car behaves on a twisty road, design, you get my point right? 

And in this regard Porsche has no competition. 991R and .2 GT3 are the best examples of that. 

How are those the best example of that? If you don't care about performance, why buy 991 models and not 997? Why not 996? How about 993? How about some 1970s 911 that was 47 lbs wet and looks vastly cooler than any modern 911?

The latest 911s are the least involving 911s ever created and they take more control away from the driver than any 911 generation before it. They weigh more too. This is pretty much true for every brand because all new cars employ better and better technology that does more and more while just letting the driver point and shoot.

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

Could you do a test drive already? I am very excited to try the car Smiley

Whoopsy:

Smiley

--

Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

No surprise there. What cars DON'T you have on order??!!! SmileySmileySmiley Ohhh, now I know, a Tesla is missingSmileySmileySmiley

Same will happen with people bashing the GT2 RS. Some months later "got one on order"

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:
    Carlos from Spain:
    MKSGR:
    Carlos from Spain:

Could you do a test drive already? I am very excited to try the car Smiley

No not yet. But I have talked to someone that had driven each variant of the 12C platform and his view and opinions in cars is very close to mine. He said the car blew him away.

--

noone1:
    alexalex88:
    RC:

The latest 911s are the least involving 911s ever created and they take more control away from the driver than any 911 generation before it. They weigh more too. This is pretty much true for every brand because all new cars employ better and better technology that does more and more while just letting the driver point and shoot.

Thats why the MANUAL comes SmileySmileySmileySmiley,but agree,993 and 964 are the best Smiley

alexalex88:
    RC:

Well, I am driving a R8 now, so... Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet (2015), Porsche Cayenne S Diesel (2017), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mini JCW (2015)

noone1:
    alexalex88:
    RC:

How are those the best example of that? If you don't care about performance, why buy 991 models and not 997? Why not 996? How about 993? How about some 1970s 911 that was 47 lbs wet and looks vastly cooler than any modern 911?

997 and 991 might not be the lightest or more involving cars out there, true, but for me both have a great compromise between what I demand on a car, which are the attributes mentioned before without leaving apart the comfort and a modern look.

Each one to his own, personally I don't need +700hp under my right foot, that's all I'm saying.

alexalex88:
    noone1:
    alexalex88:
    RC:

997 and 991 might not be the lightest or more involving cars out there, true, but for me both have a great compromise between what I demand on a car, which are the attributes mentioned before without leaving apart the comfort and a modern look.

Each one to his own, personally I don't need +700hp under my right foot, that's all I'm saying.

+1 Smiley

--

You can never ever have enough power in a car but this power needs to be put on the ground and this is where the problem starts. I get that daily driver 911 thing but personally, I just got bored with the 911 routine. Once the 960 shows up, I could be in again if the car is what I expect it to be.

--

Don't think this was posted a few days ago; Drive Tribe and Catchpole's review of the 720S, driven in Italy.  His conclusion is quite interesting; that the 720 is almost aimed more at the 911T than it is the 488 etc., as a result of McLaren prioritizing both speed and daily usability.  In other words, he argues you cannot have both daily usability and expect spine tingling excitement, and that the 720 sacrifices some of the latter for the former. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKigmMDDv04

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

martini964:  RC:  Thats why the MANUAL comes SmileySmileySmileySmiley,but agree,993 and 964 are the best Smiley

Nah, Long Hood 911 (65-73) Smiley

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

RC:

McLaren has a huge advantage of not competing against its own model hierarchy and past offerings in one sense. The 911 has been slow incremental changes.  Ferrari too has done this.  Both companies are well capable of offering a carbon tub and turbo engines with huge output but that doesn't follow from the path they have set. Let's see how they respond. 

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/17/24 7:48 AM
    GnilM
    662118 1775
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    401169 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    254593 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    229172 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    59532 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4378 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

853501 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    761835 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM