Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

Mcracing1, wow great couple of cars. I seriously considered a 675LT and your colour, Chicane Grey is what I would have chosen in the end I decided that I wanted to daily drive the car and the 675 was not as practical, getting in and out was harder, turning circle not great and really it's not built as a daily driver not that that ever stopped me before ! I think I'm getting a bit softer with age and the 720 ticks the right boxes kiss

Your 720S looks a similar spec to mine, the yellow interior is very nice (was one of my favourites) and goes great with white and the yellow calipers and of course I approve of the wheels blush

I see you have the carbon paddle shifters I agonised over these but in the end couldn't man math justify the cost and stuck on a set of these below, not quite as cool but very effective.

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

Wow looks great, didnt even knoe that this was possible.

Yea truning circle of the Lt is rubbish, and i think the lift system aswell to slow. But otherwise for me, perfect sportcars

Let’s be honest. The McLaren looks more like supercar compared to any Porsche except for the 918. It draws more attention to the point that if a Porsche was parked alongside a McLaren I doubt anyone would notice the Porsche. However, from a value/performance measure Porsche has it all over the McLaren. Additionally, the McLaren is burdened with massive depreciation, a brand known to pump out different model cars like skittles and has a horrible dealer franchise system particularly in the US. 

The brand operates like its trying to survive. enlightened

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

TB993tt:

Mcracing1, wow great couple of cars. I seriously considered a 675LT and your colour, Chicane Grey is what I would have chosen in the end I decided that I wanted to daily drive the car and the 675 was not as practical, getting in and out was harder, turning circle not great and really it's not built as a daily driver not that that ever stopped me before ! I think I'm getting a bit softer with age and the 720 ticks the right boxes kiss

Your 720S looks a similar spec to mine, the yellow interior is very nice (was one of my favourites) and goes great with white and the yellow calipers and of course I approve of the wheels blush

I see you have the carbon paddle shifters I agonised over these but in the end couldn't man math justify the cost and stuck on a set of these below, not quite as cool but very effective.

You made the single best choice you could make regarding a McLaren. I put those on mine and it transformed the experience, believe it or not. The normal ones were just not comfortable and didn't feel good for something that would constantly be pressed. Extending them made them so much easier to click.

And yeah, and like $400 or something like that they were $3000 cheaper than the OEM ones :x

The OEM are nice looking, but the pricing is just insane.

nberry:

Let’s be honest. The McLaren looks more like supercar compared to any Porsche except for the 918. It draws more attention to the point that if a Porsche was parked alongside a McLaren I doubt anyone would notice the Porsche. However, from a value/performance measure Porsche has it all over the McLaren. Additionally, the McLaren is burdened with massive depreciation, a brand known to pump out different model cars like skittles and has a horrible dealer franchise system particularly in the US. 

Performance measurements aren't really linear though, so I'd actually say the value/performance measure is not so rosy on the Porsche end of things. I mean, what is the measure? Lap times? Straight line speed? If it's just "this is good enough for the streets" then sure, you could even buy a 2009 Lamborghini and it would be fantastic for real world roads. When it comes to objective measurements, I don't think anything other than a GT2 RS is even close to a 720s, and I think the new 600 LT due out soon will serve up some humble pie to the GT3/RS with the correct tires.

McLarens also no longer appear to depreciating a lot.

P1 is still at a premium, 675 was normal, 570 was normal, and 720S seems normal given the prices. 720S has been out a little less than a year now and as Crayphile said, like 10-15% under sticker. That's pretty solid if you ask me for such an expensive car. 911 Turbos depreciate more than that in my opinion.

So yeah, it seems like the depreciation thing was just an issue with 12C/650s. The brand is hitting homeruns these days and the prices reflect that new brand awareness.

nberry:

I presume prices in US are different to ROW, from the article just posted in GT2RS thread - the 720S tested is quoted as 35K Euro CHEAPER than the GT2RS 

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

TB993tt:
    nberry:

I presume prices in US are different to ROW, from the article just posted in GT2RS thread - the 720S tested is quoted as 35K Euro CHEAPER than the GT2RS 

Well, that says base price. You can probably add 30K Euro of options to that 720S. I mean, you could add 150K of options if you want to, but yeah, probably 30K of options on a nice spec 720S.

No idea what options there are on a GT2 RS.

noone1:

Well, that says base price. You can probably add 30K Euro of options to that 720S. I mean, you could add 150K of options if you want to, but yeah, probably 30K of options on a nice spec 720S.

Thanks for pointing that out I presumed they were both optioned up when I looked at the GT2RS price :)

--

2018 McLaren 720S 

720S press car used by AMS cost around 340K € on Germany. Performance version with full CF options.

TB993tt:
    noone1:

Thanks for pointing that out I presumed they were both optioned up when I looked at the GT2RS price :)

Keep in mind though that most options are irrelevant with respect to performance though. Very few options will have meaningful impact on the performance.

I mean, you just bought one, so I'm sure you know where the money can be spent/saved on a car. I think $320K is a very good spec in the US. Not sure about Europe.

Man, all this hot McLaren talk has me tempted to pull the trigger and liquidated some Bitcoin ;) but I'm concerned I will end up bored with the unusable speed. It felt bonkers quick, but that actually became a problem with the 12C -- was always worried I'd get a huge ticket. 

I feel like I could only use this car well in Europe where there don't seem to be police every 20m. I'm not thrilled with the launch car used inventory. Too many whites and greys. Would really like to see a volcano red.

Eh, maybe it's just that Spring weather that's created that exotic itch again.

noone1:

Man, all this hot McLaren talk has me tempted to pull the trigger and liquidated some Bitcoin ;) but I'm concerned I will end up bored with the unusable speed. It felt bonkers quick, but that actually became a problem with the 12C -- was always worried I'd get a huge ticket. 

I feel like I could only use this car well in Europe where there don't seem to be police every 20m. I'm not thrilled with the launch car used inventory. Too many whites and greys. Would really like to see a volcano red.

You need to go outside and caress your Rav4 and all will be well in the world again SmileySmiley. Joking aside , I believe I said it first - the 720S rules  - for the moment at least.

So MSO has been turning out some pretty crazy paint jobs lately. A member of a few forums recently got a mix of reds that I saw on Instagram, and I also just came across this one. Would really love to see something like this with the doors closes. Hard to tell how it looks like this.

noone1:

Bitcoin already looks well past its sell-by date! Smiley You should definitely trade it in for something tangible... Smiley

How about putting down a 100% founders deposit on a Tesla Roadster...  they won't hear you coming! Smiley

Or alternatively a new Audi R8 with that glorious naturally-aspirated screaming V10 engine? Smiley

Do you have any photos of your legendary McLaren MP4 12C to share on Rennteam? Smiley

Was the performace of the 12C so boring that you traded it in for a Toyota Rav4? Smiley

How about you call McLaren for a test drive in the 720S and report back?  driving.gif

Boxster Coupe GTS:
    noone1:

Bitcoin already looks well past its sell-by date! Smiley You should definitely trade it in for something tangible... Smiley

How about putting down a 100% founders deposit on a Tesla Roadster...  they won't hear you coming! Smiley

Or alternatively a new Audi R8 with that glorious naturally-aspirated screaming V10 engine? Smiley

Do you have any photos of your legendary McLaren MP4 12C to share on Rennteam? Smiley

Was the performace of the 12C so boring that you traded it in for a Toyota Rav4? Smiley

How about you call McLaren for a test drive in the 720S and report back?  driving.gif

No way I'd put down any deposit in a Tesla Roadster LOL. I like the idea of it, but I'm not crazy. I don't even buy exotics new or first year, so no way in hell I'm buying a vaporware Roadster 2-3 years early.

No R8 for me. Too similar looking to the original. I only like to buy really new designs, that's why I never wanted a 675 or anything like that. Has to be very different inside and out. Also doesn't help if I feel like I've seen car constantly on the Internet. And well, this is RT, and RC posts about his R8 so much that I'm already bored of the car and I've never even owned it. Would rather have an LP580 anyway ;)

Performance of the 12C wasn't necessarily boring. The reality is though that in the US you're rarely driving below 30 mph unless you're coming to a stop, and the max on a highway is like 80. So that means you realistically get 50mph of room to "play". Well, the torque and acceleration of modern cars is such that you barely get to switch gears unless you want to decimate the speed limit. When you first get the car that's kinda fun, but the effect wears off and you just get more concerned about getting tickets because there are police everywhere it seems. So while that was slightly more tolerable in the past with a manual given the additional interaction, with a DCT it's just kinda ehhhh.

The 720S felt insanely fast, and as the numbers show, it clearly is. I honestly don't think I even gave it 100% from a low gear and probably short shifted it a bit. I rarely did a full throttle pull in 1st gear with the 12C either. So yeah, it's a sweet car, but I feel like it will wear off just like the 12C did and now I'll have an even less usable car that's too quick. In Europe I feel like you can hit empty roads with no police pretty easily. In the US, it feels like there are cops everywhere.

Here's a picture I took when selling it. I have more, but they are just close ups of stuff, so nothing you've never seen before.

Just stick to your RAV4 and you're fine... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:

I should put pics up of my other ride. Smiley. RAV4 is nice compared to my shit box Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:
    RC:

I should put pics up of my other ride. Smiley. RAV4 is nice compared to my shit box Smiley..

Unless you're driving a Dacia Duster, I think you're fine... Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

RC:
    throt:
    RC:

Unless you're driving a Dacia Duster, I think you're fine... Smiley Smiley

Not sure about that, bud. Vauxhall Zafira's are not to clever either. Its a workhorse. A good few month back the shit box was parked up and a car's mirror went along its entire right sided length whilst passing Smiley.. At first I thought it was some jealous thug with the key trick but then I thought, no, don't think so Smiley. So, in June its off the the car Doctors for some tender loving care Smiley.

Had it from brand new and I always remember the pick up day of it. The salesman, bless him, made it a big day for meSmiley..I always remember him walking me towards it and him looking at my face and then saying to me - ""isn't it beautiful"".. Nearly said to him - ""No, not really"" Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:
    Vauxhall Zafira...

This is wrong. On so many levels. Smiley

Smiley Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

bluelines:
    throt:
    Vauxhall Zafira...

Smiley Smiley

Better than a RAV4... Isn't the Zafira the design base for the Tesla X? Smiley

--

bluelines:
    throt:
    Vauxhall Zafira...

Smiley Smiley

Smiley Smiley,, Its a hairy chest tool , buddy..

I also have a sticker in the rear window of the shit box. It says ""my other car is a Porsche"" Smiley..

I post pics of both rides - the shit box and the GT3 ,, okay Smiley Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:

Better than a RAV4... Isn't the Zafira the design base for the Tesla XSmiley

Ooh, that hurt. For the Vauxhall drivers Smiley

--

throt:

I also have a sticker in the rear window of the shit box. It says ""my other car is a Porsche"" Smiley..

Your are excused, buddy SmileySmileySmiley

Looking forward to the pics. I don't think we ever had a pic of a Vauxhall. Never. Ever.

--

bluelines:
    throt:

Looking forward to the pics. I don't think we ever had a pic of a Vauxhall. Never. Ever.

No shit Sherlock Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Hey, the Rav4 doesn't draw attention, it has back seats, and doesn't come with a wing. From what I can gather, that's like 90% of why people on here buy Porsches ;)

noone1:

Hey, the Rav4 doesn't draw attention, it has back seats, and doesn't come with a wing. From what I can gather, that's like 90% of why people on here buy Porsches ;)

Actually, it does. Smiley Not in a way everyone would enjoy though. Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:
    throt:
    Vauxhall Zafira...

Smiley Smiley

Actually the Zafira was totally developed by Porsche for Opel/Vauxhall. This is a fact.  angry

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

reginos:
    RC:
    bluelines:
    throt:
    Vauxhall Zafira...

Smiley Smiley

Actually the Zafira was totally developed by Porsche for Opel/Vauxhall. This is a fact.  angry

--

"Porsche....and Nothing else matters"

Smiley Smiley Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761251 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    434677 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260152 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257297 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80823 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5311 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871558 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    806811 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM