Crown

Board: McLaren Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: McLaren on a winning streak

If one doesn't have a P1 or a 918, the 720S is the car to get.

--

Whoopsy:

720s is more modern than the two "vintage cars" you mention... Probably the best choice if you need a car to drive Smiley

MKSGR:
    Whoopsy:

720s is more modern than the two "vintage cars" you mention... Probably the best choice if you need a car to drive Smiley

What I mean is that it's the fastest thing out there..........

--

Congratulations! That's one serious looking car.

Although I am not a fan of a silver sport car, I think silver is a perfect color for this car.kiss

--

Where the willingness is great, the difficulties cannot be great.

You have made me want a 720s again......

--

Tesla Model S P100D & Model X P90D & 2016 BMW i8 & 2017 Sept 991.2 GT3 ordered. 2020 Porsche Mission E on order

The Spyder version is coming out, Geneva next year.

600LT, from the 570S series, is due Pebble Beach this year, gonna be a 2019 model, Spyder version of that is 2020.

Don't say I only have connections with Porsche indecision

--

720S on my list of wants.. Monster performance.

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October 2014.

991 GT3.2 pick up April/May 2018. ( Hairy Chest Spec ).

Rennteam Hairy Chest Advisor.

throt:

That machine would put even more hair on your chest bro Smiley

--

2017 991.2 Carrera 4 GTS | GT Silver Metallic - The GT3 Killah!
    2013 Audi S3 | Glacier White

I said it before, Porsche needs to change their strategy, their reputation is suffering.

As a long time Porsche customer and diehard fan, I currently find no car in the Porsche model line-up to want me switch from my R8. yes

Yes, I could even imagine getting a McLaren but their lease offers suck (so far).

The 720S is certainly a new benchmark, I am curious how Porsche wants to fight this car with the new 992 Turbo S, basically impossible (even if the Turbo S gets 640-650 hp).

I actually think that Lamborghini will get into the same "trouble" soon as well if they aren't careful. Once they switch to a turbo charged engine, they need to up the power substantially. The only reason people are buying Lamborghini right now are the fantastic n/a engines and sound. If they go turbo on the Huracan, the next Huracan needs to have at least something close to 700 hp or more. Otherwise, they're "toast".

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (W213), Mini JCW (2015)

bluelines:
    throt:

That machine would put even more hair on your chest bro Smiley

Smiley,,,

i can man handle that son of bitch,,,, my little sweet pea...

Friday is my pick up day of my hairy chest .2GT3.. Smiley...But straight off to gay it up with PPF and a Ceramic Coating due to it being tha last N/A,,, it’s a keeper Smiley...

Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

Is the 720S an event to drive though ?.. Sure it’s quick but as discussed before, outright power is not the whole story...Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

throt:

Is the 720S an event to drive though ?.. Sure it’s quick but as discussed before, outright power is not the whole story...Smiley..

I hate Smiley to take my R8 again as an example Smiley but let's be serious here: Do a couple of seconds(!) difference on the Nordschleife really make a difference in real life driving? I am always driving in a group with many different cars, some of them, by numbers, faster on the track than mine. During real life driving though, this difference is barely noticeable, basically unnoticeable now that I run my R8 on Cup 2 as well. All drivers are excellent drivers, so not much of a difference here. So when a 720 S is a couple of seconds slower on the 20 km long Nordschleife, it doesn't really matter.

What matters in daily life though is the emotional part of a car (sound, excitement, looks, whatever), power (Autobahn) and even maintenance/running cost.

I love Porsche and I had a good time in Porsche cars but a few seconds faster on the Nordschleife won't cut it for me, sorry. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

throt:

Interesting question a pal who has a new GT3 mentioned in one of his Porsche groups (its a Porsche oriented whatsapp group mainly full of younger guys running new GT Porsches for free ie no depreciation) that I had got a 720S and the reactions were quite hostile all saying the GT2RS is a 100% more fun and the 720S is soulless.....

Thing is the 720 can do pottering around quietly really well and of course when you unleash the power it is a total animal it tears the tarmac and cracks in the gear changes giving an almighty wallop in the back as the next gear engages and sounds 700hp savage, even when going slowly the enticingly vibrating engine and sublime steering combined with its looks and interior beauty don't feel soulless at all to me. I suspect the young "rich kids" are pissed off because they can only afford depreciation free cars Smiley   

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:
    throt:

Interesting question a pal who has a new GT3 mentioned in one of his Porsche groups (its a Porsche oriented whatsapp group mainly full of younger guys running new GT Porsches for free ie no depreciation) that I had got a 720S and the reactions were quite hostile all saying the GT2RS is a 100% more fun and the 720S is soulless.....

Thing is the 720 can do pottering around quietly really well and of course when you unleash the power it is a total animal it tears the tarmac and cracks in the gear changes giving an almighty wallop in the back as the next gear engages and sounds 700hp savage, even when going slowly the enticingly vibrating engine and sublime steering combined with its looks and interior beauty don't feel soulless at all to me. I suspect the young "rich kids" are pissed off because they can only afford depreciation free cars Smiley   

LOL. Any how many in that group actually own and have a GT2 RS currently? There haven't even been many deliveries.

Both turbos, both DCT. What's 100% more fun about being slower?

GT2 RS is going to depreciate. People jumped the gun with that Ring record lap and now the 720S just put the smack down with on it with Corsas. Funny this is, the 720S Spider will do the exact same thing to it lol. Wouldn't be surprised if the Pista is quicker too.

TB993tt:
    throt:

Maybe and for me - I wouldn't care about any car that loses value. Firstly it got to cut it. I really hope the 720S gets your pulse up, I really do. Smiley..The GT3 is just the best bang for the buck still, imo.. Would love a go though in a 720S, the speed must be immense. Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

RC:
    throt:

I hate Smiley to take my R8 again as an example Smiley but let's be serious here: Do a couple of seconds(!) difference on the Nordschleife really make a difference in real life driving? I am always driving in a group with many different cars, some of them, by numbers, faster on the track than mine. During real life driving though, this difference is barely noticeable, basically unnoticeable now that I run my R8 on Cup 2 as well. All drivers are excellent drivers, so not much of a difference here. So when a 720 S is a couple of seconds slower on the 20 km long Nordschleife, it doesn't really matter.

What matters in daily life though is the emotional part of a car (sound, excitement, looks, whatever), power (Autobahn) and even maintenance/running cost.

I love Porsche and I had a good time in Porsche cars but a few seconds faster on the Nordschleife won't cut it for me, sorry. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991.2 Carrera GTS Cabriolet (2018), Audi R8 V10 Plus (2016), Mercedes E63 S AMG Edition 1 (2018), Mini JCW (2015)

Great that you love the R8 still Smiley.. You going to part ex up for the next one?, you surely will Smiley...

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

TB993tt:
    I suspect the young "rich kids" are pissed off because they can only afford depreciation free cars Smiley   

Plus they like to spout motoring journalist's sound bites. Reminds me of the Patek vs Lange comparison on the other board. In many cases the equivalent Lange is a better product but will lose money hand over fist compared to the Patek. Same with the 720S which is significantly below list already on the used market and some fools are paying close to £500K for the GT2RS - Yes, I know its production limited etc,  but still Smiley.

These perceived good residual value can vanish as fast as they appeared. Once a few flipper start loosing money and/or Porsche floods the market, it is game over.

The 720S is a better car by any measure except for track junkies. A 720S spider would simply be something that Porsche doesn’t even come close to offer.

SciFrog:

These perceived good residual value can vanish as fast as they appeared. Once a few flipper start loosing money and/or Porsche floods the market, it is game over.

The 720S is a better car by any measure except for track junkies. A 720S spider would simply be something that Porsche doesn’t even come close to offer.

I agree 100% - with these performance figures we know now, incl the fake lap times on „special“ tires - who still wants a GT2RS. These inflated prices and the hype will be gone quicker than most can imagine.

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

I agree 100% - with these performance figures we know now, incl the fake lap times on „special“ tires - who still wants a GT2RS. These inflated prices and the hype will be gone quicker than most can imagine.

Smiley,,, absolutely... The 720 is not only breaking hearts,,,, its breaking records.. Definitely a hairy chest tool Smiley..

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

SciFrog:

A 720S spider would simply be something that Porsche doesn’t even come close to offer.

That to me is the kicker. It will do pretty much exactly what the coupe will do, but with a top that comes down. The only reason we're not comparing a GT2 RS to a McLaren convertible is for business reasons.

The 720S is simply the superior product, and that's to be expected considering the price and the fact that it is designed to be what it is from the start.

crayphile:
    TB993tt:
    I suspect the young "rich kids" are pissed off because they can only afford depreciation free cars Smiley   

Plus they like to spout motoring journalist's sound bites. Reminds me of the Patek vs Lange comparison on the other board. In many cases the equivalent Lange is a better product but will lose money hand over fist compared to the Patek. Same with the 720S which is significantly below list already on the used market and some fools are paying close to £500K for the GT2RS - Yes, I know its production limited etc,  but still Smiley.

How much below list in the UK? They are below list in the US, but generally pretty much on par with any exotic in this price range. They are definitely not suffering from P11 depreciation as far as I can tell. Seems like that trend is officially over.

noone1:
    SciFrog:

The 720S is simply the superior product, and that's to be expected considering the price and the fact that it is designed to be what it is from the start.

In the UK the list price on the GT2RS with Weissach is about the same as a reasonably specced 720S 

--

997 GT2 2014 3.9 Mezger, 800PS @ 1.2 bar

2018 McLaren 720S 

993 Turbo, 2006 built 3.8, 577PS/797NM, 1440kg DIN sold to a worthy enthusiast.

TB993tt:
    noone1:
    SciFrog:

In the UK the list price on the GT2RS with Weissach is about the same as a reasonably specced 720S 

Oh damn. I thought a maxed out RS was $250K here in the US, whereas 720s are coming in like $330-350K. Maybe I'm wrong about the RS pricing, or maybe UK pricing is just different.

noone1:
    How much below list in the UK? 

£25K to £30K

Whoopsy:

The Spyder version is coming out, Geneva next year.

600LT, from the 570S series, is due Pebble Beach this year, gonna be a 2019 model, Spyder version of that is 2020.

Don't say I only have connections with Porsche indecision

The 600LT should be a fierce track competitor - hope the base price stays under $200k...

--

18 GT3 Manual, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 16 Cayman GT4, 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

MKSGR:
    SciFrog:

Dont say that to loud, i was pretty hard attacked here with this tyre question

@tb993tt concratulation o your car, and your infromation about your logfiles on your gt2 are great.

This are my 2 mac rides. Still prefere the 675lt over the 720s mostly because i think the lt feels sharper and more precise, but could also be because ot the bucketseats in the Lt vers the normal seats in the 720s. But the 720s is def the quiker car on strightlines no doubt about it. Great companie

BDED15A0-310F-4E92-BCA4-AD800EED947D.jpeg
    5E0C4FF3-CE89-4F59-89BD-67D51137DDFA.jpeg

DDF44799-6B10-434F-BB5D-769B1BA90536.jpegBut had also a small problem on the 720s with airbrake failure. currently at the dealer. Never had a problem on the lt with that

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690500 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409763 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    256017 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235280 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65650 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858426 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774711 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM