Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

Blueness, you will need to wear your helmet even in town now 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Muahahaha! 

I think it is time for a another data loss. Across the entire Internet.

Yes Gnil, from now on it is helmet on every day indecision

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

bluelines:

Muahahaha! 

Choose your helmet design from below: Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Hahahha Bluelines,take off the lines,you are too easy to find.indecision

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

bluelines:

Muahahaha! 

Can you please take a picture of your car in front of a Starbucks for internal Rennteam benchmarking? Smiley

Ziggy:
    bluelines:

Muahahaha! 

Can you please take a picture of your car in front of a Starbucks for internal Rennteam benchmarking? Smiley

I would propose you take a pic in front of a Mövenpick as the coffee's better there.  Smiley

--

fritz

fritz:
    Ziggy:
    bluelines:

Muahahaha! 

I would propose you take a pic in front of a Mövenpick as the coffee's better there.  Smiley

... with Obama in the passenger seat. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

Rossi:
    fritz:
    Ziggy:
    bluelines:

Muahahaha! 

... with Obama in the passenger seat. Smiley

You just didn't... Smiley Smiley

This "Obama" thing is slowly becoming a running gag on Rennteam... Smiley

Here is the latest rumor for you guys. GT4 with PDK seems to be under consideration (whatever this means), it may take a while though (Cayman 981.2?). Don't kill the messenger, a guy I know claims he saw a PDK equipped GT4 but the car had black cloth to cover it (when parked outside Weissach). So it seems they want to keep this under wrap, which also means there could be one at some point. A lot of speculation, I know, especially since Porsche always tests different variants of prototypes.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

It will not be called GT4 indecision

BjoernB:

It will not be called GT4 indecision

GT4.5Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

GT4RS?

GT3 indecision

--

bluelines:

GT3 indecision

OK, now things are getting confusing... Smiley Smiley

--

I think a PDK GT4 was inevitable.  Just glad I got one before that happens.  I think one of the reasons they gave the current GT4 such tall manual gear ratios is so they can show an improvement with PDK (better ratios).  Otherwise the difference is small (using identical ratios).

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

A GT4 with PDK makes perfect sense, much more sense than a manual one. And they will sell many more, more $$ for Porsche. I still predict they will make as many GT4 as they can sell in the next few years.

If you think about it a GT4 with PDK is the equivalent in the 98x platform of what many here including RC have been dying for in the 99x: a GT3 with rear seats and no wing. It is what the GTS should have been all along.

Surely Porsche is reading here and listening too. We want cars more fun to drive. Once Porsche finds a way to incorporate this in their strategy, they will deliver.

SciFrog:

A GT4 with PDK makes perfect sense, much more sense than a manual one. And they will sell many more, more $$ for Porsche. I still predict they will make as many GT4 as they can sell in the next few years.

If you think about it a GT4 with PDK is the equivalent in the 98x platform of what many here including RC have been dying for in the 99x: a GT3 with rear seats and no wing. It is what the GTS should have been all along.

Surely Porsche is reading here and listening too. We want cars more fun to drive. Once Porsche finds a way to incorporate this in their strategy, they will deliver.

Smiley  Except for the minor points that the GT4 does not have rear seats and does have a wing?  Smiley

--

fritz

Sorry didn't make my point clear or you read it too fast.

What I meant is Porsche seems to be listening and will provide a GT4 with PDK. The next logical step is to offer a GT3 with rear seats...

The bucket seat fiasco continues...

P11 seats no longer available on the UK configurator (in fairness I think they have been on stop order for a few weeks now), however P03 folding bucket seats have just appeared instead.

They are however £300 more expensive than the P11 LWB seats were!

Currently neither my dealer or any UK dealer has been able to tell me if P11 seats will re-appear later (in time for my October build slot). yes

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

SciFrog:

What I meant is Porsche seems to be listening and will provide a GT4 with PDK. The next logical step is to offer a GT3 with rear seats...

Yes, they listened to all the GT3 owners who asked for a manual and then they built the GT4... with manual! Smiley

You should drive the GT4 first before making too many statements about PDK suiting the car better than manual Smiley

--

RC:
    bluelines:

GT3 indecision

OK, now things are getting confusing... Smiley Smiley

Makes perfect sense, if you think about it Smiley

--

bluelines:
    SciFrog:

Yes, they listened to all the GT3 owners who asked for a manual and then they built the GT4... with manual! Smiley

They built the GT4 manual so it wouldn't eat into GT3 sales because of the cheap GT4 price. They won't make that mistake again with a PDK GT4...

You should drive the GT4 first before making too many statements about PDK suiting the car better than manual Smiley

I won't drive it since I have zero interest in a track oriented car for street use. I certainly get more street fun in my manual Mini convertible with LSD... Manual vs auto is a very subjective matter so I misused the term "suit". What I should have said is that in today's perspective it doesn't make sense to put a manual transmission in a performance oriented car (Ferrari, McLaren, Lambo...). An analogy would be to say that you prefer to put worse tires on your super fast car because it slides more so it is more fun...

A couple of new options available today on GT4 configurator in addition to P03 Folding Buckets.

• 12-o'clock marking on steering wheel in Yellow, code 887  UK price is £162.00    Must admit that was a really nice feature on the Geneva cars that I was hoping would make it into production, but £162 seems a little steep given what it is! heart
    •  
    • Lightweight battery (lithium ion), code 192 - UK price £1538.00

--

SciFrog:
     An analogy would be to say that you prefer to put worse tires on your super fast car because it slides more so it is more fun...

That is exactly what Subaru and Toyota have done with the BRZ, FR-S, and FT-86 (used tires from the Prius to make it entertaining and playful at the limit, though limits could've been higher with stickier tires).

I have a friend (who has ordered a GT4) make an anology to wristwatches recently and the move away from purely objective performance in sports cars:

"I have a theory the move is already well underway, which is a big part of the reason classic Porsche prices have been going nuts lately. For 100 years we've been chasing speed, but what happens when speed is so easy it's a given? Tesla P85D, Dodge Hellcat, etc... It's hard to step back to gain perspective, but consider the wristwatch: for over a century a man took pride in the accuracy and small size of his watch.  Accuracy had real value: you could trade three early chronographs for a top of the line frigate. But as technology progressed accuracy got easier.  Batteries came along, followed quickly by quartz movement. Suddenly everyone could afford a watch that was more than accurate enough, at which point accuracy ceased to be the measure of a watch.

Today the most valuable watches are not the most accurate or the smallest... Take a few steps back and I feel like sports cars are just getting batteries, but with watches there's no downside to too much accuracy. And Porsche knows it, which is why they dribble out only enough hp to keep customers happy, and why they've switched to making performance as usable as possible rather than simply chasing more. This makes a lot of sense in some ways, but I feel like in the process they're not focusing enough on feel, challenge, etc.

As a racing company going faster is at the core of what they do- when the compass no longer points north, will they lose their way?"

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Adam2S:

A couple of new options available today on GT4 configurator in addition to P03 Folding Buckets.

• 12-o'clock marking on steering wheel in Yellow, code 887  UK price is £162.00    Must admit that was a really nice feature on the Geneva cars that I was hoping would make it into production, but £162 seems a little steep given what it is! heart
    •  

--

£162 for the 12 o'clock is a bargain compared to the (IIRC) $3.5k a couple of guys were quoted in the US via the Exclusive dept... angel

--

2011 987S, 1964 Type 1

DaveGordon:
    Adam2S:

•  

£162 for the 12 o'clock is a bargain compared to the (IIRC) $3.5k a couple of guys were quoted in the US via the Exclusive dept... angel

Well I guess when you put it like that! Smiley

Also available on GT3-RS now too but in Orange:

12-o'clock marking on steering wheel in Lava Orange, code 888   UK price is also £162.00

--

Grant:
    SciFrog:
     An analogy would be to say that you prefer to put worse tires on your super fast car because it slides more so it is more fun...

That is exactly what Subaru and Toyota have done with the BRZ, FR-S, and FT-86 (used tires from the Prius to make it entertaining and playful at the limit, though limits could've been higher with stickier tires).

I have a friend (who has ordered a GT4) make an anology to wristwatches recently and the move away from purely objective performance in sports cars:

"I have a theory the move is already well underway, which is a big part of the reason classic Porsche prices have been going nuts lately. For 100 years we've been chasing speed, but what happens when speed is so easy it's a given? Tesla P85D, Dodge Hellcat, etc... It's hard to step back to gain perspective, but consider the wristwatch: for over a century a man took pride in the accuracy and small size of his watch.  Accuracy had real value: you could trade three early chronographs for a top of the line frigate. But as technology progressed accuracy got easier.  Batteries came along, followed quickly by quartz movement. Suddenly everyone could afford a watch that was more than accurate enough, at which point accuracy ceased to be the measure of a watch.

Today the most valuable watches are not the most accurate or the smallest... Take a few steps back and I feel like sports cars are just getting batteries, but with watches there's no downside to too much accuracy. And Porsche knows it, which is why they dribble out only enough hp to keep customers happy, and why they've switched to making performance as usable as possible rather than simply chasing more. This makes a lot of sense in some ways, but I feel like in the process they're not focusing enough on feel, challenge, etc.

As a racing company going faster is at the core of what they do- when the compass no longer points north, will they lose their way?"

--

Of course, racing is not the equivalent of driving a sports car on public streets.  The sports car driver is looking for exhilaration of the senses and a fast race car, especially, on the street fails that basic premise.  There are many days, such as today, that taking the MG TC out for a trip up and down Lake Shore Drive in Chicago is much more rewarding than taking a GT3 on the same.  Speed is relative and even in heavy traffic, the TC feels very lively at 45 mph.

Grant,

I think Pete's analogy to mechanical wristwatches is absolutely spot on.  I adore wearing my mechanical watches even though my iPhone tells better time and I don't have to wind it or reset the time.  Cars are now too fast for public roads and now manufactures must pay attention to other aspects to keep us interested.

very well said ! wink

vantagesc:

Grant,

I think Pete's analogy to mechanical wristwatches is absolutely spot on.  I adore wearing my mechanical watches even though my iPhone tells better time and I don't have to wind it or reset the time.  Cars are now too fast for public roads and now manufactures must pay attention to other aspects to keep us interested.

Details... I agree. Power and performance alone won't do it anymore and if the sound goes away too, it will be difficult for manufacturers to make their customers happy. Interesting times ahead but not necessarily in a positive way.

--

vantagesc:

Grant,

+1

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/11/24 6:53 AM
    GnilM
    752975 1796
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    430647 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258561 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255445 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79499 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5256 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

868252 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    801796 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM