Crown

Board: Ferrari Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 488 GTB/GTS

RC:

One reason I am thinking to finally get that R8 V10 Plus I always wanted, found a pretty attractive car (basically new but for almost half the money of a new one) and I'm negotiating the details with the dealership but they need to take my GT500 in, which is (of course, it is a US car) a serious problem in Germany. I could sell it privately but this is not really easy (most private buyers are not serious, want just to take a test-drive or to negotiate you down seriously on the price, etc.).

Re. private sales, yes they do take a bit of people interaction, but my experience is you can get a better price, as serious buyers often prefer to deal with the original owner than a dealer who suddenly loses the cars history.  A dealer will offer you a discounted price up front; when selling yourself you are in control of the discount, depending of course on the demand for the car. 

--

2011 Range Rover Sport S/C,  2009 Porsche 911S

intouch1:

but in the same time seeing a Porsche on every corner speaks for the quality of the cars. secondly as Porsches are actually driven, they are widely available as used cars and therefore driven by even more people.

many Porsche owners can afford exotics, but shy away due to their flashiness. so Porsche is a good compromise between having a sports car and not wanting to flash it.

but as said above, it has made Porsche les exclusive.

Quiet true. That's why I was owning only once a Ferrari (F430) and I sold it after the 5th day of ownership. Way too many bad eyes. 

My point was just, that this was a Ferrari thread and again people came and compared the Ferrari with their Porsche. Yeah we know other manufacturers are producing fast cars, too. A Porsche is fast, a Lambo is fast, even that Audi might be fast and a Nissan is quiet fast, too. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and this is a different story. It is not about performance, is about the emotions. As a car enthusiast I think everyone should at least once owned a Ferrari in his life. It is a symphony we are comparing with some beat boxer. As simple as that!

So - we love our Porsches' but we adore that Italian Supercar!

ISUK:

This is one major benefit of sharing a lot of the tech with Audi.

Especially with the audiovisual interfaces where Ferrari really falls down big time still , and so does McLaren with the Iris farce. It will be interesting to see if Ferrari has finally cracked it with the GTC Lusso  - I am not holding my breath though !

All Ferrari has CarPlay optional...

SciFrog:

I think only the Lusso and California has CarPlay, the 488 and the F12 doesn't as they don't have a big touch screen.

--

crayphile:
    ISUK:

This is one major benefit of sharing a lot of the tech with Audi.

Especially with the audiovisual interfaces where Ferrari really falls down big time still , and so does McLaren with the Iris farce. It will be interesting to see if Ferrari has finally cracked it with the GTC Lusso  - I am not holding my breath though !

Lamborghini have also made a much better job of the steering wheel controls for the direction indicators and wipers etc than Ferrari have. Everything about the infotainment system is intuitive whereas in a Ferrari it is anything but these days IMHO.

Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

I think only the Lusso and California has CarPlay, the 488 and the F12 doesn't as they don't have a big touch screen.

You can get CarPlay on both f12/TDF and 488

koko:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Ah, good to know!

--

RC:

GT4 has...manual?

Here, I did it... indecision

Its gearbox is the GT4's most perfect attribute!

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550, 79 635CSi

Grant:
    RC:

GT4 has...manual?

Here, I did it... indecision

Its gearbox is the GT4's most perfect attribute!

+1

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Lars997:
    intouch1:

but in the same time seeing a Porsche on every corner speaks for the quality of the cars. secondly as Porsches are actually driven, they are widely available as used cars and therefore driven by even more people.

many Porsche owners can afford exotics, but shy away due to their flashiness. so Porsche is a good compromise between having a sports car and not wanting to flash it.

but as said above, it has made Porsche les exclusive.

Quiet true. That's why I was owning only once a Ferrari (F430) and I sold it after the 5th day of ownership. Way too many bad eyes. 

My point was just, that this was a Ferrari thread and again people came and compared the Ferrari with their Porsche. Yeah we know other manufacturers are producing fast cars, too. A Porsche is fast, a Lambo is fast, even that Audi might be fast and a Nissan is quiet fast, too. But a Ferrari is a Ferrari and this is a different story. It is not about performance, is about the emotions. As a car enthusiast I think everyone should at least once owned a Ferrari in his life. It is a symphony we are comparing with some beat boxer. As simple as that!

So - we love our Porsches' but we adore that Italian Supercar!

Smiley I would say exactly the same thing and add Lambo to the subject, pure exotic brand, love both.

--

J.Seven

Whoopsy:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Ah, good to know!

Whoopsy is right, at least until last March. When I configured my TDF, carplay wasn't available. Nor should it be as you can't touch the screen. For the California and FF it is indeed different. F12 is same as 488 and Laferrari and quite possibly the worst infotainment system on sale right now in the car industry. Slow, bugs and poor quality.

I must admit that after a while, the 675LT system is not great either, smart but too complicated and very slow. I like the PCM in my Porsches, also the system in the M3 CRT is excellent.

For real drivers those toys matters because we spend a lot of time on the road and not always gunning it.

same here, had a 360 modena for a week when it was a current model and just could not put up with the attention and quickly swapped back to a Porsche.

the Audi is somehow in my view is the best of both worlds. exotic car looks with teutonic manufacturing and Audi prestige. it might have all the attributes of a 488 or huracan but being german i feel it not as 'in your face' as the italians.

i really cannot explain it but ferrari (especially in Germany) has an image problem. maybe its got to do with the Schumacher ferrari hype. maybe its with some of the people who drive them. especially in cities like berlin.

at least for the entry models. for the high end models its different imo.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

intouch1:

same here, had a 360 modena for a week when it was a current model and just could not put up with the attention and quickly swapped back to a Porsche.

the Audi is somehow in my view is the best of both worlds. exotic car looks with teutonic manufacturing and Audi prestige. it might have all the attributes of a 488 or huracan but being german i feel it not as 'in your face' as the italians.

i really cannot explain it but ferrari (especially in Germany) has an image problem. maybe its got to do with the Schumacher ferrari hype. maybe its with some of the people who drive them. especially in cities like berlin.

at least for the entry models. for the high end models its different imo.

It is all over Germany like this. I went to a Ferrari meeting and quiet frankly, they all have been very weird people. I couldn't identify at all, probably that's what keeps me away. Nevertheless - I adore those cars!

Futch:
    Whoopsy:
    koko:
    Whoopsy:
    SciFrog:

Ah, good to know!

Whoopsy is right, at least until last March. When I configured my TDF, carplay wasn't available. Nor should it be as you can't touch the screen. For the California and FF it is indeed different. F12 is same as 488 and Laferrari and quite possibly the worst infotainment system on sale right now in the car industry. Slow, bugs and poor quality.

You can still have it even without the touchscreen.

It's been an option since last year. 

4trac:
    RC:

One reason I am thinking to finally get that R8 V10 Plus I always wanted, found a pretty attractive car (basically new but for almost half the money of a new one) and I'm negotiating the details with the dealership but they need to take my GT500 in, which is (of course, it is a US car) a serious problem in Germany. I could sell it privately but this is not really easy (most private buyers are not serious, want just to take a test-drive or to negotiate you down seriously on the price, etc.).

Re. private sales, yes they do take a bit of people interaction, but my experience is you can get a better price, as serious buyers often prefer to deal with the original owner than a dealer who suddenly loses the cars history.  A dealer will offer you a discounted price up front; when selling yourself you are in control of the discount, depending of course on the demand for the car. 

I know but I barely have time and there are lots of weirdos out there, especially in the used car market. I prefer to get a couple of thousands less if it can spare me the hassle to deal with people who just want to have a free test-drive or even try to cheat me. Smiley

The R8 I found is really attractive, it is perfect (options, color, very low mileage, 2015(!) model, price, etc.) but the GT500 could prove itself to be a serious problem.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I see the Audi as a compromise for you - but one you will not be happy with very shortly. Maybe you should let go the mustang & Jeep and Combine those in a tuned RS6 or E63 or something. What's the Point in sitting low and have less Performance than with yr former TurboS which u sold rather quickly with more luggage space and usability than a R8......yes

BjoernB:

I see the Audi as a compromise for you - but one you will not be happy with very shortly. Maybe you should let go the mustang & Jeep and Combine those in a tuned RS6 or E63 or something. What's the Point in sitting low and have less Performance than with yr former TurboS which u sold rather quickly with more luggage space and usability than a R8......yes

Like all petrolheads (me included) I think RC gets bored pretty quickly and needs a change....I've just spent serious money - to me -  improving our home (that combined with the value of our Boxster GTS would have got me a very nice low mileage 458 Italia) Smiley  However I would never have gotten approval from SWMBO for such a purchase unfortunately Smiley.... 

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Volvo V40 R Design daily drive

BjoernB:

RS6 = station wagon...no!!! Never! Smiley

E63 = sedan...no!!! Never! (had a E55 AMG and a Panamera Turbo S, never ever a sedan again...)

Turbo S = boring.

I do not need luggage space, the R8 is supposed to replace the GT500 as a weekend fun car, nothing else. The GT500 is fun to drive but the manual and the lack of traction are sometimes annoying, especially on public roads.

The Jeep will go next year and won't be replaced (no need for a SUV anymore and for three or four weeks a year, I can rent a luxury SUV).

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

Like all petrolheads (me included) I think RC gets bored pretty quickly and needs a change....I've just spent serious money - to me -  improving our home (that combined with the value of our Boxster GTS would have got me a very nice low mileage 458 Italia) Smiley  However I would never have gotten approval from SWMBO for such a purchase unfortunately Smiley.... 

Sometimes this is true, indeed. However, I want to replace the GT500 because every little issue I have, it costs me a lot of time and nerves to "fix" it. I need a weekend toy car with a dealer close by and I don't like manual, especially in a car with serious traction issues.

--

RC:
    dreamcar:
    BjoernB:

Sometimes this is true, indeed. However, I want to replace the GT500 because every little issue I have, it costs me a lot of time and nerves to "fix" it. I need a weekend toy car with a dealer close by.

I can sympathise with that.Smiley  Ever since my local Porsche dealer and I fell out my next nearest dealer where we got our GTS from is 60 miles (100km) away. No major issues except the PCM won't retain Points of Interest on the map in the memory and three trips there and back and it's still not fixed. Smiley

--

I don't see the R8 being way less boring than the TTS...

As inconviniences the Audi has a more exotic look, it is a two seater, has less cargo space and it's an Audi. You're going to get rid of it as soon as you can.

alexalex88:

I don't see the R8 being way less boring than the TTS...

As inconviniences the Audi has a more exotic look, it is a two seater, has less cargo space and it's an Audi. You're going to get rid of it as soon as you can.

Main appeal being the vocal n/a Lamborghini V10 engine I guess - in the real world the latest TT RS with 400 bhp won't be much slower. Getting almost impossible to get a proper sounding sports car these days as more and more are being ruined and muffled by turbochargers Smiley

--

The only advantage of the old R8 (or the 911 GTS for that matter) over the 991 TTS is that they are cheaper. Boring or not the 991 TTS is in a different league. Now in the company of the 488 or the Huracan I agree that the Turbo is boring.  

Herbaliser:

The only advantage of the old R8 (or the 911 GTS for that matter) over the 991 TTS is that they are cheaper. Boring or not the 991 TTS is in a different league. Now in the company of the 488 or the Huracan I agree that the Turbo is boring.  

yes, turbo s has absolutely amazing performance. but i do agree it is a boring car....even when not put in context with huracan or 488.

i would even chose an amg gt-s over the turbo.

since i had my 997 turbo, i never considered going for another one. Porsche needs to put more emotion into that car...even if at the price of performance imo....its just too perfect.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

The AMG GT-S? That's two classes bellow the Turbo. If you don't care about performance at all, every choice can be rationalized. Even the AMG. 

if we should judge a car buy the people who uses them I would never use a Porsche anymore, the typical porsche client today are : stupid football players, daddy pays kids, arrogant cougar wifes, and people who think thay are the coolest in the world just becuase they have a macan diesel!!!!

I tell you a fun story, since all know I like cars and have been racing in the recent past, people likes to show me their cars in order just to have a talk regarding nice cars, a guy came to me and said...I just bought a Posche it's so fast ..bla bla bla bla...so I was expecting a 911 gt3 /turbo ...or at least a sporty car...he showed me his macan diesel....and i replied...where is the Porsche can't see it here ???...ahh you meen the vw..ahhahaha 

The Ferraris is normally owned by the BAR people we say here....they just use it to show up and dirve it for 1000 km in 5 years, and never have been over 200kmh!!! normally fat rich old people..ahhah

well so I just don't care about what people say or think, but I really loves understatement, so to flashy cars is not good for me, unless you drive them in the night just to have fun.

Today people hates you if they see you in a Lambo o Ferrari...Porsche is different since it is everyday car with huge performance and you can almost pass by without that people notice you.

But since I have owned all of them at least once, lambo and ferraris gives you other thrills !

--

993 c2

Sad state of Europe these days, you have to hide...

SciFrog:

Sad state of Europe these days, you have to hide...

Yes, it looks like we all have to move to Miami Smiley

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

I got really scared with the GT500, scared that I will encounter a very lengthy and costly repair...I

It took my mechanic in Germany over four months to find and get me a transmission bell from the US (old one was "penetrated" by an exploding clutching and since my car has the track package, I needed a specific transmission bell, the version for the gearbox with gearbox cooling system). The part just wasn't available and my mechanic has good contacts to the US, incl. US military channels (which usually get parts faster to Germany...) but it wasn't available in the US because of the gearbox cooling system (different transmission bell).

This "fear" of the unknown is just a bit too much of an adventure... 

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/16/24 3:13 PM
    watt
    755527 1797
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    431696 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    258891 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    255955 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    79945 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5266 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

869004 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    803088 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM