Crown

Board: Porsche - 911 - 991 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GTS

SciFrog:

A convertible is always more emotions than a coupe. It actually amazes me that anyone would buy a coupe 911 or a cayman when you can get the same performance in the convertible for not much (or even less) money...

A couple of years ago, when I was tracking my cars on a regular basis, I would have disagreed with you. Now, I fully agree, a nice and sporty convertible is like a motorcycle (considering the "open air" feel) without the helmet, without the protection gear and without the risk. 

Still craving for that Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-2 Spider I saw at a local dealer and if the craving doesn't stop, I may go for it. Smiley

I was actually surprised that Carlos chose a Coupe for himself, especially since he lives in a region with much more sun and heat than I do (well, minus this year maybe when we had in Bavaria more often temperatures over 35-40°C than the South of Spain Smiley) but I think he is still in the "developing" phase where I was a couple of years ago, when a convertible was out of the question until I actually got my first one, a 997 Carrera GTS Cab which wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. My current 991 C4 GTS Cab is a completely different story.

I guess I'm getting older, so track racing became secondary, enjoying daily driving a primary goal. My 991 C4 GTS Cab is just perfect for that. 

Btw: I already have winter tires on my GTS, Michelin Pilot Alpin N0. Had some rain and lower temps in Bavaria last week and I was driving in my GTS and I am absolutely amazed how fast you can be on wet pavement, the tires are excellent. Tried the same in the Mini JCW with Dunlops Winter 4D, I wasn't even close to the speeds I achieved with the GTS, just amazing rain and tire setup, easily controllable, even with Sport setting active (Sport Plus not recommended on rainy roads), Porsche again outdid themselves, a huge compliment here. Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

I've done the convertible thing in my beginnings and do not like it. I doubt I will get a covertible anytime soon, I guess it depends on ppersonal preference, type of driving, country, etc. Recently tested a Boxster, and while a great car, the open top experience was a drag for me.

I do not like being exposed to the scorching sun in a place were you cannot escape it if you want, not too mention being stopped at a light,etc. do not like the wind noise and buffeting when driving, do not like the attention you get when driving, do not like the looks of the cab versions, really do not like the extra weight they carry around as well as the softer chasis, etc. the only plus is the exhaust sound.I can see why some people like covertibles though, I realise its a matter of taste and understand the reasoning behind the convertible for some people, but for me I like the coupe much better kiss

--

⇒ Carlos - Porsche 991 Carrera GTS

Carlos from Spain:

do not like the wind noise and buffeting when driving,

in 991 cab with windows up and wind deflector deployed, there is almost no buffeting up to 90mph, and wind noise is very low. 991 Cab has the best 'wind management' of any open top car IMO

RC:

Still craving for that Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-2 Spider I saw at a local dealer and if the craving doesn't stop, I may go for it. Smiley

Btw: I already have winter tires on my GTS, Michelin Pilot Alpin N0. Had some rain and lower temps in Bavaria last week and I was driving in my GTS and I am absolutely amazed how fast you can be on wet pavement, the tires are excellent. Tried the same in the Mini JCW with Dunlops Winter 4D, I wasn't even close to the speeds I achieved with the GTS, just amazing rain and tire setup, easily controllable, even with Sport setting active (Sport Plus not recommended on rainy roads), Porsche again outdid themselves, a huge compliment here. Smiley

The Gallardo Spyder is a great car. You'll be hooked on the sound of that V10 with the roof down or even with it up and the rear window down. You only live once so at an absolute minimum take it for a test drive just to tick that box off Smiley

I was very impressed by the wet weather grip of the 991 GTS cab even on all season tyres. It was so confidence inspiring that I thought the car I was in must be an AWD version but to my surprise it wasn't. I think this car could be the pick of the 991 range - GT3 excluded.

RC:
    , a nice and sporty convertible is like a motorcycle (considering the "open air" feel) without the helmet, without the protection gear and without the risk. 

It has nothing in common, sorry, absolutely nothing ! You must of been day dreaming when writing that Smiley

I also do not like convertible . And my wife can't stand them . She comes from sunny south africa and all she wants it to hide from the sun . She had way too much sun during here life and now she avoids it as much as possible ( not taking about the heat )

I also find it very uncomfortable to sit in a car with the sun hitting my head , and extremely uncomfortable doing the same in a city with trafic lights .

I also feel way too exposed on a cab . Don't like that either .  In a car, I want to  be in a cabin . When I want to feel the outside, I drive a motorbike .

--

964 Carrera 4 /  997.2 C2 ,  -20mm /  991 GT3 RS 

Best time to drive with open top is mornings and late afternoon early evening or even at night...

ISUK:

The Gallardo Spyder is a great car. You'll be hooked on the sound of that V10 with the roof down or even with it up and the rear window down. You only live once so at an absolute minimum take it for a test drive just to tick that box off Smiley

Agree!  I drove an Audi R8 V10 Spyder with manual and the sound was intoxicating...

--

16 Cayman GT4, 73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

Gnil:
    RC:
    , a nice and sporty convertible is like a motorcycle (considering the "open air" feel) without the helmet, without the protection gear and without the risk. 

It has nothing in common, sorry, absolutely nothing ! You must of been day dreaming when writing that Smiley

You may be right...since you have to wear that stupid (in the sense of hot, uncomfortable, viewing angle restricting and hairstyle destroying) helmet and protective gear to be at least a little bit protected. Smiley

I also do not like convertible . And my wife can't stand them . She comes from sunny south africa and all she wants it to hide from the sun . She had way too much sun during here life and now she avoids it as much as possible ( not taking about the heat )

I love the sun, so does my wife. We drove in summer all the time with an open top, even at over 40°C for over four hours. There is nothing more pleasant than the sun for us, one reason why we hate winters and love summers. Lake Mead in summer, at some point it had over 47°C in the shadow there, is paradise for us. We are always 4-5 hours on the lake in a boat and we love it. To each his own I guess. Smiley 

I also find it very uncomfortable to sit in a car with the sun hitting my head , and extremely uncomfortable doing the same in a city with trafic lights .

Oh well, you chose Switzerland for living...lucky you. Smiley Smiley

I also feel way too exposed on a cab . Don't like that either .  In a car, I want to  be in a cabin . When I want to feel the outside, I drive a motorbike .

So I guess you ride a motorcycle with a helmet and protective gear? Smiley It feels less outside than in a tank. Smiley

My favorite family photo...(we had 126°F at Lake Mead on that day, 52°C). Kids love heat too, no issues, they drink a lot.

heat1.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

ISUK:
    RC:

I was very impressed by the wet weather grip of the 991 GTS cab even on all season tyres. It was so confidence inspiring that I thought the car I was in must be an AWD version but to my surprise it wasn't. I think this car could be the pick of the 991 range - GT3 excluded.

I agree with you but I actually said I wouldn't get another weekend toy (the GT500 is more of a children's dream come true since I couldn't afford a real Cobra) and while my wife seems to be a more open minded towards such a car right now (neighbor and friend got himself a McLaren 12C Spider), that used Gallardo would be 120k EUR. For a used car, a lot. I could get an Audi R8 V10 Plus with a 5 year warranty and only 15k km for under 95k EUR. Winter time is perfect for buying such a car but I still haven't made up my mind. Also maybe because I actually want to buy my Carrera GTS out of the lease at some point, so... Smiley

--

RC:
    Gnil:
    RC:

You may be right...since you have to wear that stupid (in the sense of hot, uncomfortable, viewing angle restricting and hairstyle destroying) helmet and protective gear to be at least a little bit protected. Smiley

I love the sun, so does my wife. We drove in summer all the time with an open top, even at over 40°C for over four hours. There is nothing more pleasant than the sun for us, one reason why we hate winters and love summers. Lake Mead in summer, at some point it had over 47°C in the shadow there, is paradise for us. We are always 4-5 hours on the lake in a boat and we love it. To each his own I guess. Smiley 

Oh well, you chose Switzerland for living...lucky you. Smiley Smiley

So I guess you ride a motorcycle with a helmet and protective gear? Smiley It feels less outside than in a tank. Smiley

My favorite family photo...(we had 126°F at Lake Mead on that day, 52°C). Kids love heat too, no issues, they drink a lot.

heat1.jpg

--

Fully agree wit Christian and having a convertible is like having three cars in one, with hardtop , with soft top and open. Nice family pic Smiley

--

J.Seven

RC:

heat1.jpg

--

I can't see the heat ...... and you are all in the shade ! Smiley

If you want to have a wrinkly skin as quick as possible and skin cancer, spend as much time as you can under the sun ! Your kids will also appreciate later on in life .

--

You talk to me about skin cancer? Funny, really funny. blush Have you read this on the internet? 

A little hint: Sun protection, shades, a healthy immun system and the gift from god (or whoever) not to be a light shaded type (my wife isn't exactly a natural blonde either broken heart). Also, yearly dermatologist checks and the happy circumstance that I barely have moles, neither do my wife or kids. Skin cancer can be detected early if awareness is high, no problem but like I said before, I have a darker type of skin. I would worry even more about my eyes, this is why we always wear sunglasses and we made our kids wear them as well since a very young age.

Also, another gift from whoever is up there: I do not not really sweat much in heat, only when I work out. I really love heat, the warmer the better. The only situation I hate heat is at night in bed. In winter time, I have not more than 20°C in my dorm, I sleep like a baby. 

Long story short: We are aware of the risks but the risk of you taking a sunbath or even skiing at 2000-3000 m in winter time in Switzerland is actually higher.  80-90% of the UV light is actually reflected by the snow, even if there is no visible sun. Good luck with that. wink Of course water (like ocean or lakes) reflect UV light as well (up to 100%) but there isn't much difference and the higher altitude actually increases the risk (as far as I remember, exposure intensity  to UV light raises by 6-7% per 350 m or so of altitude compared to the almost "flat" beach, sorry about not knowing the precise number but I just don't remember anymore and I'm too lazy to look it up).

Can you see the heat now? Smiley

kesTuAKsdDIoeX6SUTcx4zyg5NkIug-MN5vpvnbrvcs.jpg

--

RC:

You talk to me about skin cancer? Funny, really funny. blush Have you read this on the internet? 

A little hint: Sun protection, shades, a healthy immun system and the gift from god (or whoever) not to be a light shaded type (my wife isn't exactly a natural blonde either broken heart). Also, yearly dermatologist checks and the happy circumstance that I barely have moles, neither do my wife or kids. Skin cancer can be detected early if awareness is high, no problem but like I said before, I have a darker type of skin. I would worry even more about my eyes, this is why we always wear sunglasses and we made our kids wear them as well since a very young age.

Also, another gift from whoever is up there: I do not not really sweat much in heat, only when I work out. I really love heat, the warmer the better. The only situation I hate heat is at night in bed. In winter time, I have not more than 20°C in my dorm, I sleep like a baby. 

Long story short: We are aware of the risks but the risk of you taking a sunbath or even skiing at 2000-3000 m in winter time in Switzerland is actually higher.  80-90% of the UV light is actually reflected by the snow, even if there is no visible sun. Good luck with that. wink Of course water (like ocean or lakes) reflect UV light as well (up to 100%) but there isn't much difference and the higher altitude actually increases the risk (as far as I remember, exposure intensity  to UV light raises by 6-7% per 350 m or so of altitude compared to the almost "flat" beach, sorry about not knowing the precise number but I just don't remember anymore and I'm too lazy to look it up).

--

Now I can see the heat . Reminds me of when I used to live inland California . I have no problem with heat . I actually like it too .

I did not need the lecture on UV  Smiley Just talk to people living in South Africa or Australia , you will see what I mean .  Not so with mountaineers . Remember, we do not ski in bikinis Smiley

People who did not grow up in hot sunny country do not have the same relationship with the sun then people , like you and me , who come form ' cold' countries . We want sun ( you on your head Smiley , me only on the roof or the palm tree protecting my head ) . People who has sun all their lives , tend to avoid it . 

Why do you think we have so many people from the middle east in summer moving to my part of the world ?

--

RC:

--

In short, you must be extremely blessed by nature? Smiley

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

Don't know if  he is blessed by nature, but he sure is blessed by a beautiful wife and family...wink

Wonderbar:

Don't know if  he is blessed by nature, but he sure is blessed by a beautiful wife and family...wink

Thank you. Smiley Smiley

Sorry, I didn't want to brag (I realized afterwards from the reaction of some that it may have looked that way), I just love this photo because everyone looks so cool in it, including the smaller kids. Also, this photo always reminds me of our love for heat, family and...Lake Mead. Smiley The water in Lake Mead is always warm in summer and the kids just love swimming there. Usually, I barely get them into the water because they hate cold water (everything below 25°C). My wife is a passionate alpine skier and me and the kids know how to ski pretty well too but we all hate snow and the cold. Smiley In winter time, we all kind of hibernate and become alive in spring and summer. Smiley

--

Gnil:

Now I can see the heat . Reminds me of when I used to live inland California . I have no problem with heat . I actually like it too .

I did not need the lecture on UV  Smiley Just talk to people living in South Africa or Australia , you will see what I mean .  Not so with mountaineers . Remember, we do not ski in bikinis Smiley

Most basal and squamous cell cancers develop on sun-exposed areas of the skin, like the face, ears, neck, lips, and the backs of the hands. It is a misconception that sun tanning is the most dangerous situation because this is actually one of the rare moments people actually use sun screen to protect themselves. How many people use sun screen on a daily basis if they do not go to the beach or to suntan? How many people are using sunscreen when they drive in the cabriolets? I often see "red" faces in spring and summer when I stop at a restaurant and see people getting out of their cabriolets. Motorcycle riders are the second group with "red" skin, mostly underarms because many wear t-shirts in summer and not protective gear as they should.

People who did not grow up in hot sunny country do not have the same relationship with the sun then people , like you and me , who come form ' cold' countries . We want sun ( you on your head Smiley , me only on the roof or the palm tree protecting my head ) . People who has sun all their lives , tend to avoid it . 

I do not come from a cold country. Smiley Also, the people I know who lived in hot countries all the time only avoid sun when they need to work because they do not want to sweat in their work suits. In countries where A/C is pretty common, like the US, people enjoy the warm weather. Not all of them of course but we also have people who enjoy the cold in Europe but I'm certainly not one of them. 

Why do you think we have so many people from the middle east in summer moving to my part of the world ?

Maybe because of the hot women, booze and nicer environment?! Smiley Smiley

Don't worry, most of our friends love vacationing to colder countries and at least half of them hate the US (no culture, unsafe, no good food, people are phony, everything looks the same, bla bla bla...the typical prejudice). Also, unfortunately, we also have many snobby friends, mostly doctors, who need to combine their family vacation with museum visits and a lot of cultural stuff (their kids always tell my kids how boring it is) but I made it a habit to read about the cities they visit and "question" them about these locations when we meet, so I can expose their snobby nature because usually, they don't remember much about what they've seen and heard. Funny enough, they still want to meet with me and my wife, probably because they think I'm some sort of genius. Smiley OK, maybe I should shut up now but I doubt these people read Rennteam. Most of them are driving the most boring cars ever, despite their wealth but at least they drive an Audi station wagon in an Armani suit. Smiley Also, mandatory...the Robinson Club vacation. Smiley

--

My daily face cream has SPF 15 smiley so at least the face is covered...

RC:

Don't worry, most of our friends love vacationing to colder countries and at least half of them hate the US (no culture, unsafe, no good food, people are phony, everything looks the same, bla bla bla...the typical prejudice). Also, unfortunately, we also have many snobby friends, mostly doctors, who need to combine their family vacation with museum visits and a lot of cultural stuff (their kids always tell my kids how boring it is) but I made it a habit to read about the cities they visit and "question" them about these locations when we meet, so I can expose their snobby nature because usually, they don't remember much about what they've seen and heard. Funny enough, they still want to meet with me and my wife, probably because they think I'm some sort of genius. Smiley OK, maybe I should shut up now but I doubt these people read Rennteam. Most of them are driving the most boring cars ever, despite their wealth but at least they drive an Audi station wagon in an Armani suit. Smiley Also, mandatory...the Robinson Club vacation. Smiley

Smiley Keep this coming  - this thread is hilarious! Though pompousness is not just restricted to doctors - I know exactly what you mean - there is a lot of box ticking on places visited without actually any in depth appreciation of culture and history. 

SciFrog:

SmileyI don't mind a little color, as long as it doesn't look like this... Smiley Smiley

burnt-man.jpg

--

image.jpgAs I haven't done a proper introduction in here. Here is my 991 GTS. I had a black 997 before and I have to say that nothing beats black when it's clean however it's a real job to keep it looking perfect.

RC:
    SciFrog:

SmileyI don't mind a little color, as long as it doesn't look like this... Smiley Smiley

burnt-man.jpg

I always pictured you having hair.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

He totally beat you in the post processing there Blue... Can't even tell the real color of the car.

DocMo:

image.jpgAs I haven't done a proper introduction in here. Here is my 991 GTS. I had a black 997 before and I have to say that nothing beats black when it's clean however it's a real job to keep it looking perfect.

Great looking GTS Smiley

Expect random insults and comments about over-processed photos. Many people on this forum are true photophiles and have much on the topic to say. Some even own more camera gear than others own cars.

--

SciFrog:

He totally beat you in the post processing there Blue... Can't even tell the real color of the car.

A quick job but I'll come back with better photos in spring ;) 

for the color it's Agathe Grey 

SciFrog:

Yes, I need to do my homework better.

Funny you posted that, while I typed up the other post above Smiley

--

You will have to teach us how to turn agate grey into lavender...

SciFrog:

He can even turn wine into water... Smiley 

--

RC:

SciFrog:

I wish ...Smiley

DocMo:
    RC:

SciFrog:

I wish ...Smiley

Well, not water exactly.......    Smiley

--

fritz

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM