Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayman Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: Cayman GT4

Intersting analogy. Well except for a few models Porsche is going in the wrong direction then...

So Porsche is Rolex, ferrari Richard Mille, RR is Patek, Bentley is Breguet...

SciFrog:

Intersting analogy. Well except for a few models Porsche is going in the wrong direction then...

So Porsche is Rolex, ferrari Richard Mille, RR is Patek, Bentley is Breguet..

so going by that analogy.... 

RR and Porsche have the best resale value and brand exposure.

Ferraris are over-priced and more for showing off after people get sick of buying Porsches.

and Bentley, well.... no one cares about their new offerings.  Smiley

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

This is all toooooo funny...

sfo:
    vantagesc:

Grant,

I think Pete's analogy to mechanical wristwatches is absolutely spot on.  I adore wearing my mechanical watches even though my iPhone tells better time and I don't have to wind it or reset the time.  Cars are now too fast for public roads and now manufactures must pay attention to other aspects to keep us interested.

+1

Since I got it, I wear my Apple Watch (cheapest one, black on black) on a daily basis and I just love it because I do not have to look at my iPhone when I receive messages or news.

However, whenever I meet with friends in a nicer location or I just go there with my wife (restaurant, city, weekend meet or whatever), I put on a classic watch. Yes, maybe I'm a snob or show off but I don't care. Smiley Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

More intel on the bucket seats situation as I have heard it.  Bear in mind this may only apply to RHD production.

• P11 LWB now on stop unless you had an order accepted and already on the system. Any amendments to such orders run the risk of LWB being rejected again.
    • Orders currently being processed with P11 LWB are subject to 10-12 week delays.
    • No new forward orders for P11 LWB will be accepted at this time.
    • P03 folding buckets now available to order as an alternative however cost increased from £1907 (for P11) to £2226 (P03).
    • P03 folding buckets only apply to orders before August at which time P11 LWB will be available once again at the original cost and at this time all associated delays are expected to be resolved.

If true this is excellent news for me, in that my October slot will now be October again and I should be able to have P11 LWB.

Bit of a fiasco though and makes you wonder if Porsche are just using the 2 month hold / substitution of P03 buckets to stockpile enough P11 LWB for the remaining production run.yes

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

Adam2S:

More intel on the bucket seats situation as I have heard it.  Bear in mind this may only apply to RHD production.

• P11 LWB now on stop unless you had an order accepted and already on the system. Any amendments to such orders run the risk of LWB being rejected again.
    • Orders currently being processed with P11 LWB are subject to 10-12 week delays.
    • No new forward orders for P11 LWB will be accepted at this time.
    • P03 folding buckets now available to order as an alternative however cost increased from £1907 (for P11) to £2226 (P03).
    • P03 folding buckets only apply to orders before August at which time P11 LWB will be available once again at the original cost and at this time all associated delays are expected to be resolved.

If true this is excellent news for me, in that my October slot will now be October again and I should be able to have P11 LWB.

Bit of a fiasco though and makes you wonder if Porsche are just using the 2 month hold / substitution of P03 buckets to stockpile enough P11 LWB for the remaining production run.yes

Stockpiling of parts is not a favoured solution in an age of just-in-time deliveries. Restricted production quantities would be more likely be catered for by "rationing" orders of the option concerned.
    From your description it sounds more likely that production of P11 seats has been unexpectedly interrupted by some sudden event, such as a bankrupt supplier or a factory fire, for example, and that it is taking some time before it can be restarted again, maybe at another site.   Smiley

--

fritz

GT4 at The Goodwood Festival of Speed

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/motor-shows-goodwood-festival-speed/cayman-gt4-wins-goodwoods-seal-approval

--

Current - Aston V12 Vantage, Morning Frost White, Buckets, Manual

On Order - Cayman GT4, Racing Yellow, LWB

Nice!

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

kisskisskiss

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

Quote: ...the GT4 is flattering and forgiving... Unquote , SmileySmileySmiley

I'm actually not sure it's a good thing if the car is too forgiving.  In many cars you get out what you put in.   Some cars require some concentration which keeps the driver engaged.  Is that the case here?

derder:
    SciFrog:

So Porsche is Rolex, ferrari Richard Mille, RR is Patek, Bentley is Breguet..

Ferrari is definitely NOT Richard Mille because the soul of Ferraris are their  in house made engines, everything else pretty much outsourced to outside auto suppliers or the Fiat parts bin for the mundane parts down in the bowels .

RM is the opposite ..building a few in house casing pieces and parts but mainly being a final assembler and marketing machine . They outsource  all their movements ( engines ) from bespoke to order outfits  such as Vaucher or APRP .

Building movements all in house is what separates the men from the boys ..like MBZ from super expensive kit car builders such as Zagonda , which RM is more similar to.

Ferrari would not be held in the same esteem if all their  motors were built by AMG, Ricardo , etc...because when all is said and done, their  cars values are still really what has been jokingly but lovingly said through the years : it is all about their engines and the body and chassis and interior are thrown in for free , for your $300K + !

vantagesc:

I'm actually not sure it's a good thing if the car is too forgiving.  In many cars you get out what you put in.   Some cars require some concentration which keeps the driver engaged.  Is that the case here?

Let's not get too stuck up on interpreting one single word Smiley The GT4 is exceptionally well balanced. You can throw it around and abuse it very hard without upsetting the handling. You cannot do this with a 911, not even the latest 991. Hence it is more "forgiving" if you like. So are all 98x models, actually.

As to your concern, you get what you put in and I am confident there is no other car in the entire Porsche line-up which will keep you as engaged as the GT4. I think you would have to go back to a 997 GT3 RS to get the same level of engagement and involvement as a driver.

Amen Smiley

--

Thanks.  I raise it because it's something that almost every review has raised.  I know in my Lotus you cannot just throw the car around without regard to weight transfer etc. I see a lot of first time drivers spin. :)

MKW:

Building movements all in house is what separates the men from the boys ..like MBZ from super expensive kit car builders such as Zagonda , which RM is more similar to.

I meant to write "  such as  Pagani's Zonda " , not Zagonda 

vantagesc:

Thanks.  I raise it because it's something that almost every review has raised.  I know in my Lotus you cannot just throw the car around without regard to weight transfer etc. I see a lot of first time drivers spin. :)

I was surprised how much you could throw it around on the track without regard to weight transfer. I managed a few mistakes in the turns, but the car was on rails. My 991 C4S would have spun off, and I did twice last year, with this treatment. 

--

I don't have a subscription to Top Gear (maybe someone here has digital subscription), but they just had the 2015 Speed Week and the GT4 and the 458 Speciale tied for first place afaik (from another forum).

Here are some excerpts:

"The Ferrari costs 208k pounds, which makes the Cayman even more of a bargain. Here is a car that feels more 911 GT3 than warmed up Cayman S. A car that polishes your inputs, refines your abilities. A manual gearbox that adds extra involvement, matches your downshifts as you brake and change direction, carving and slicing through the countryside with monotonous brilliance.The engine builds to a raw, mechanical climax, the suspension is firm but compliant, and there's always more - more grip, more speed, more fun. It's an almost seminal sports car at this price level. At any level. It dominated the track, and on real world roads, it's another flawless performance.'

...The GT4 is imperious, incredible, and well worth selling a child for"

Other cars included Huracan, Z06, GT-R, AMG GT-S, Elise 220 Cup, Caterham 420R, etc...

--

73 Carrera RS 2.7 Carbon Fiber replica (1,890 lbs), 06 EVO9 with track mods. Former: 73 911S, Two 951S's, 996 C2, 993 C2, 98 Ferrari 550

That sums it all up pretty well! kiss

--

Grant, I bought the issue for $5 in Apple newsstand. Was a really short article and not worth it just for GT4 content.  The full article is on RL anyway.   

If the car feels like it is on rails on the track, need to drive faster!  It will be interesting whether this "easy" trait of the GT4 will be a positive or negative for me in the end.  Definitely will make setting a lap time more confidence inspiring but at the same time I've always enjoyed driving a car the requires some respect.  Grippy tires tend to mask a lot too as you have to be going very fast to really experience how the car handles on the limit  

Perhaps this is why some people just prefer 911 handling dynamics though in some ways they are inferior to mid engine design. 

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough" wink

Mario Andretti

Nice video of the GT4 at Goodwood.  Henry Catchpoke commenting that it's one of the most fun cars he's driven.  

http://youtu.be/W52n_Wwfyik

MKW:
    MKW:

I meant to write "  such as  Pagani's Zonda " , not Zagonda 

Zagonda sounds just as nice. Smiley

--

We're at the point where you can be the fastest or just sound like you're the fastest.

The secret of life is to admire without desiring.

I got to sit in a GT4 today - friend had it delivered 2 weeks before launch date somehow.  I was relieved that I had enough headroom in LWB seats with a helmet!  Headrest does tend to push your chin down with helmet though - might look for a slimmer helmet.  Very cool car!  No driving nor riding yet - was parked getting a clear bra...

--

Cayman GT4 review by TheGetawayer:

http://youtu.be/nOx_2dIg4Zo

Nice review.  I wonder who will be the first to offer a lower ring & pinion - hopefully Porsche Motorsport.

--

Grant:

I got to sit in a GT4 today - friend had it delivered 2 weeks before launch date somehow.  I was relieved that I had enough headroom in LWB seats with a helmet!  Headrest does tend to push your chin down with helmet though - might look for a slimmer helmet.  Very cool car!  No driving nor riding yet - was parked getting a clear bra...

--

Sat in one at Festival of Speed - main things that struck me were a very heavy clutch, great short-shift gear linkage but I don't like the new sport design wheel, it is spoilt by horrible cheap plastic inserts in the spokes. I know the old sport design wheel has plastic trim on the spokes but it is not so obviously cheap and nasty.

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

heavy clutch as in 997 GT3 heavy?  or just heavier than your boxster GTS?

been hearing mixed opinions re the clutch weight. but i guess each person's perception of heavy is different.  standard boxster clutch is featherweight compared with 997 GT3/RS clutches!

--

BMW 1 M + C63 (gone).   997.2 GT3

GT4 clutch is no where near 997 GT3 heavy .

It felt actually pretty comfortable to me . Like in my 964

--

997.2 C2 ,  -20mm  I 964 Carrera 4 I 991 GT3 RS on order delivery early Sept .

Does the clutch have an assistance system (servo)? 

--

"Form follows function"

derder:

heavy clutch as in 997 GT3 heavy?  or just heavier than your boxster GTS?

been hearing mixed opinions re the clutch weight. but i guess each person's perception of heavy is different.  standard boxster clutch is featherweight compared with 997 GT3/RS clutches!

I've not had the privilege to experience a GT3 sadly. I understand it is heavier to keep the throw shorter which makes sense. Smiley

....and yes clutch is much heavier than my GTS - it's got PDK Smiley

--

Porsche Boxster GTS Carrara white / Skoda Octavia Mk.3 daily drive

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688954 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408904 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255619 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234878 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65459 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4640 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857732 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773679 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM