Crown

Forum - Thread

Re: 991 GT3 RS

Grant:
    SciFrog:

Limited? They sold 1000 R very easily, the market for 4 seater and convertible variants of that car is very big, easily in the thousands at prices close to $200k...

I disagree.  I think the demand for the car at $200k is largely because they built 991 units.  Tell the world you're building thousands of each Coupe, Convertible, and 4-seater and demand would look very different.

Yes, the demand is there because it is "limited" and "special". If you start building thousands of this car, then it will cannibalise on the rest of the 911 sales, which likely have much higher profit margin anyway.

Not to mention the Porsche Motorsport image, that offering a "convertible GT3 with rear seats" would seriously dilute the GT-brand and I hope they will never ever do this.

--

2015 981 Cayman GT4 | White | Full Bucket Seats | Sport Chrono
    2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | Sport Chrono | SPASM

noone1:

As far as suspension goes between exotics and Porsche, there was recently the TTS vs 488 comparison video and you could tell that the 911 had a much worse ride than the 488 just by observing the camera movement. Can't comment on it vs the 650S, but I've found the 12C comfort suspension to be much more comfortable than any other sports cars I've driven. S-Class? No, probably not, but then again, I lived in the area with some of the worst roads in all of America, so maybe I'm just so used to it and that no ride quality is ever really that bad. Even track mode feels fine to me in the 12C unless I'm literally driving over train tracks.

I am surprised: do you rank high-performance cars based on ride comfort? Smiley

On back comfort, yes. On ride comfort, no, because they all feel fine to me. WIthout driving a 488, 911, and 12C back to back I'd never be able to tell the difference.

To be fair though, 99.9% of miles driven on any high-performance car are normal roads. If I had to drive in a car with the equivalent of "track" settings, I would rate the overall experience quite poorly because I don't like constantly having rattles and bumps and clanks. It's not even about the physical feeling as much as it is how annoying it is to listen to. Same thing if a car has a loud exhaust that can't be muted enough. Tire drone is bad too.

I'm interested in owning high performance road cars, not low performance race cars. Maybe that's just me though.

Funny thing about comfort and a new S-Class. I've sat in a new S-Class and funny enough, my friend's 1990 5.0 Mustang GT has way more comfortable seats. They probably aren't as safe, but definitely way more comfortable. Love those old things.

bluelines:

Yes, the demand is there because it is "limited" and "special". If you start building thousands of this car, then it will cannibalise on the rest of the 911 sales, which likely have much higher profit margin anyway.

Not to mention the Porsche Motorsport image, that offering a "convertible GT3 with rear seats" would seriously dilute the GT-brand and I hope they will never ever do this.

That is your opinion. The rear seats don't add that much weight and are part of the DNA of the 911. Allowing bland specs of GT cars do much more damage for the image of GT cars IMHO...

Do you think the SA Aperta or 16M or LaF spider dilutes Ferrari brand?
    Do you think the Boxster spider dilutes Porsche?
    Do you think adding a cockpit to F1 or going back to antique manual transmission makes them more manly? Smiley

Sorry but there is a huge untapped niche by Porsche in a whole GT line that they could sell at a premium price and with more margin than the regular 911, especially since the new GT engine is much cheaper to build than the old one Smiley Heck they could even use the extra money to actually develop real cool tech like carbon tubs and weight saving measure instead of throwing money after bad useless hybrid technology.

bluelines:
    Grant:
    SciFrog:

Limited? They sold 1000 R very easily, the market for 4 seater and convertible variants of that car is very big, easily in the thousands at prices close to $200k...

I disagree.  I think the demand for the car at $200k is largely because they built 991 units.  Tell the world you're building thousands of each Coupe, Convertible, and 4-seater and demand would look very different.

It hasn't diluted any other brands.

Every exotic brand has a convertible version of their track-oriented cars. People say they're even better than the coupes. Hell, La Ferrari Spider is coming out shortly.

The only thing that would keep me out of a Spider version of any car is the looks. Most look like shit compared to the coupes. Targa would be my preference.

The 911R is not a GT car.

--

Of little, to make much: That is the dream of a human life.

Kobalt:

Regarding rubbing in the front and back:

There is a Service action: 28-16 (Workshop manual/4X00)

As I understand it they check the wheel alignment so it is original.
    In the front they replace the liners with new liners that are modified with heat by the Porsche Workshop.
    The mesh in the front fenders are removed.

In the rear the fenders are rolled to give more clearance. (FWIW: My dealer did not have the tools for that.)

The service action, is not a proper recall/campaign, and it does not apply to North American cars. Porsche did sent out a video on how to replace the liner/mesh to all techs. North American cars have a higher ride height.

But it is really really weird that some cars have that severe rubbing. Porsche has 20+ production GT3RSs running hard on Leipzig and they even had the carousel corner from the Ring there and none of the cars rubbed, not even lightly.

--

nberry:

It totally is, why are you saying this?

Oh btw, there is a outstanding campaign for the PDK transmission. Seems like some of those, when pushed hard, would go into limp mode. My VIN is not part of that campaign.

--

SciFrog:
    nberry:

Because it is not. Totally not.

--

bluelines:
    SciFrog:
    nberry:

LOL, that was a great reason...

How could it not be? It's that Porsche Motorsports spokesman's favorite car yet.

SciFrog:
    bluelines:
    SciFrog:
    nberry:

LOL, that was a great reason...

Maybe you should each state what you mean by 'GT car' in this context, just in case you are arguing about different meanings. (I've seen it happen before.)

Unlike the mules for the GT4, GT3, GT3 RS which all sported number plates with BB EM ("Entwicklung Motorsport") the R carried the LB plates used by normal Carreras, Caymans, Boxsters, etc. This tells you who actually drove the R project, regardless of marketing talk from AP.

--

bluelines:

Unlike the mules for the GT4, GT3, GT3 RS which all sported number plates with BB EM ("Entwicklung Motorsport") the R carried the LB plates used by normal Carreras, Caymans, Boxsters, etc. This tells you who actually drove the R project, regardless of marketing talk from AP.

Hmm no. No one really pays attention to 911 mules without wings. So they put a suitable number plate to match.

The R is sort of the ultimate undercover car.

--

bluelines:

Nah dude, they just used the LB plate so future buyers could blend in more. At first they thought that removing the wing would be enough to allow the 911R to go unnoticed like all the clients wanted, but then they realized someone on the Internet would out them to the world based on the development license plate.

Whoopsy:
    bluelines:

Hmm no. No one really pays attention to 911 mules without wings. So they put a suitable number plate to match.

Yes of course.

You mean those GT3 wheels did not give it away? Or that GT3 front facia? Totally undercover Smiley

--

bluelines:
    Whoopsy:
    bluelines:

Yes of course.

You mean those GT3 wheels did not give it away? Or that GT3 front facia? Totally undercover Smiley

LOL, come on, we are different breed, we can spot minute differences.

But to most people, a 911 mule without a 'come look at me' wing is hardly eye catching. 

--

True, but... I got it figured out. They sent all the remaining GT3 parts bins from Böblingen to Ludwigsburg where they assembled the R mules. Hence the LB plate. Hence the non-GT car indecision

--

Guys,how much sure we are that there will be a 991.2 GT3 RS?
    it is confirmed or not yet again?

i must take some decision...place a preorder or not?at my dealer till now no preorder on it.

the GT2 RS will be out of my pocket.laugh

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

You already spent far more time waiting to get your current GT3 RS delivered than you have owned it and you already want to start waiting for the next?  indecision

Told you, should have gotten a GT4 instead to end all desires indecision

--

Super Darius:

i must take some decision...place a preorder or not?at my dealer till now no preorder on it.

Do you expect the 991.2 GT3RS to perform much better than the current car Smiley As soon as the FL version will be available the resale values of the first generation cars will be quite unsatisfactory, I would expect. Maybe keeping the car you have is a good solution Smiley

noone1:

On back comfort, yes. On ride comfort, no, because they all feel fine to me. WIthout driving a 488, 911, and 12C back to back I'd never be able to tell the difference.

To be fair though, 99.9% of miles driven on any high-performance car are normal roads. If I had to drive in a car with the equivalent of "track" settings, I would rate the overall experience quite poorly because I don't like constantly having rattles and bumps and clanks. It's not even about the physical feeling as much as it is how annoying it is to listen to. Same thing if a car has a loud exhaust that can't be muted enough. Tire drone is bad too.

I'm interested in owning high performance road cars, not low performance race cars. Maybe that's just me though.

I feel very similar. However, then the turbo S is probably the perfect car... Also keeping in mind all the other qualities that make it so usable in 100% of your daily life... For example, why would I want a 675LT with these "fancy" doors, loud exhaust note etc. for the situations you describe above?

MKSGR:
    Super Darius:

Do you expect the 991.2 GT3RS to perform much better than the current car Smiley As soon as the FL version will be available the resale values of the first generation cars will be quite unsatisfactory, I would expect. Maybe keeping the car you have is a good solution Smiley

no no,i love mine,and the FL if there will be,i think will not perform like day and night in comparison on mine!!

it is only becouse maybe the .2 will be for real the last N/A RS SmileySmiley  and if the plan is to keep it for a long time maybe will be better than keep mine.Smiley

Bluelines: a friend sold a GT3 RS 991 and bought two Cayman GT4...he tells Cayman is better!SmileySmiley

--

997TT RS Tuning stage II(sold),2011 Cayenne Turbo(sold),waiting 991 GT3 RS

Super Darius:

it is only becouse maybe the .2 will be for real the last N/A RS SmileySmiley  and if the plan is to keep it for a long time maybe will be better than keep mine.Smiley

This is a game you will never ever win. There is no last. There is only first and then an evolution of new. This evolution will inevitably lead to increased performance and decreased driver involvement until the laws of physics hinders the evolution. At that point you are driving a PlayStation.

You however still have the chance to pick up the unique first GT4, rather than an ever evolving RS indecision

--

MKSGR:
    noone1:

I feel very similar. However, then the turbo S is probably the perfect car... Also keeping in mind all the other qualities that make it so usable in 100% of your daily life... For example, why would I want a 675LT with these "fancy" doors, loud exhaust note etc. for the situations you describe above?

Have you tried the new Audi R8 V10 Plus? Give it a shot, you may be surprised. In my opinion a good compromise between a 911 Turbo S and a Lamborghini Huracan. If I had the money, I would probably go for one... It sounds amazing! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

RC:
    MKSGR:
    noone1:

Have you tried the new Audi R8 V10 Plus? Give it a shot, you may be surprised. In my opinion a good compromise between a 911 Turbo S and a Lamborghini Huracan. If I had the money, I would probably go for one... It sounds amazing! Smiley

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Carrera 4 GTS Cabriolet, Porsche Macan Turbo, Ford Mustang GT500 Shelby SVT (2014), Mini JCW (2015), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014)

Not yet! I will try Smiley

RC:

It does sound great, I have to say.  There were a few at Scuderia Hanseat last year - one of the best sounding cars there IMO.. Surprisingly loud on full throttle too.. 

--

2015 911 GT3, 1964 Type 1

MKSGR:
    noone1:

I actually find the fancy doors superior to traditional ones, especially if you're often parking in tight spaces. As a bonus they look cool and they have the neat swipe-to-open sensors. As for the exhaust, I think there is a time and a place for loud, but I really dislike exhaust noise when cruising on the highway at 75mph. P13 in general is a bit too loud when cruising.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688164 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408540 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255472 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234692 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65327 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4632 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857443 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773124 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM