Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Futch:
    Hi Mike,

They are available for the front tyres and for the rear ones they are 10mm wider than OEM, section 345 instead of 335, exactly like the Supersport non N0 I have on my GT at the moment so yes they will fit.

Futch,

I was able to get a set of Cup 2's for my RS 4.0 by special ordering them through Tire Rack.  The correct sizes weren't available in normal stock, but could be ordered since they showed stock in Europe.

I see the front size for the Carrera GT is available on this link: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-cup-2/tire-details

However, it doesn't show the 345 rear size that you mention.  Do you have any more info?

BTW, I actually prefer 345 over 335 for the rear of a CGT - slightly less oversteer Smiley

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Futch:

Seriously, everyone with petrol in the veins should own once in his life a Delta Intergrale.

Check !!! My Evo Giallo sold in 2005 Smiley

Great experience, but a very expensive one...Smiley

Sorry for OT

Blueflame Smiley

lancia.jpg

Sorry for the offtopic, but nice video from 918 Spyder delivery... smiley:

http://youtu.be/lZtXz89WoV4?list=FL2N6cs0VQZNVTKguR7GBGvQ

Boyko23:

SmileySmiley

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:
    Boyko23:

SmileySmiley

SmileySmiley

Nice video and a very nice VIN...

Blueflame

Sorry back to topic. Really beautiful car the 918. But it's almost a shame to order a weissach pack car where the engineers have clearly put in a lot of effort into saving every  kilogram and then spec the standard wheels. They look great but that's over 15 kgs of the 40 kgs of the weissach pack weight gain gone! Just like that! And non suspended mass too.

Spec the sound system and that's another 5kgs. And add the lift system you add another 7 kgs. Aircon is only 1 kg. This car is painted so that's another 2 kg.

Your weissach pack car just weighs now 10 kgs less than a standard car.SmileySmiley

That's a lot of $ per kg...

Personally, considering the weight and complexity of this machine I would go for the standard one because, somehow I wouldn't dare track it regularly. When I saw it at Reading, the standard wheels looks really great too! 

Rodhium silver with red interior. Sweet! Smiley

Boyko23:

Smiley

Good one Smiley

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Futch:

Sorry back to topic. Really beautiful car the 918. But it's almost a shame to order a weissach pack car where the engineers have clearly put in a lot of effort into saving every  kilogram and then spec the standard wheels. They look great but that's over 15 kgs of the 40 kgs of the weissach pack weight gain gone! Just like that! And non suspended mass too.

Spec the sound system and that's another 5kgs. And add the lift system you add another 7 kgs. Aircon is only 1 kg. This car is painted so that's another 2 kg.

Your weissach pack car just weighs now 10 kgs less than a standard car.SmileySmiley

Personally, considering the weight and complexity of this machine I would go for the standard one because, somehow I wouldn't dare track it regularly. When I saw it at Reading, the standard wheels looks really great too! 

I have to disagree. As you said you wouldn't track the car often and so weight for mainly on the road is less critical. If you like the look of the standard wheels and want the carbon mirrors, rear wing, roof etc (all available as add on's) as well as the interior elements then the weissach pricing makes perfect sense. Difference is euro12,000, well worth the rear aero fins and window surround in my opinion.Smiley

I spec'd mine virtually as per this video.

FXEFFECTS:
    Futch:

I have to disagree. As you said you wouldn't track the car often and so weight for mainly on the road is less critical. If you like the look of the standard wheels and want the carbon mirrors, rear wing, roof etc (all available as add on's) as well as the interior elements then the weissach pricing makes perfect sense. Difference is euro12,000, well worth the rear aero fins and window surround in my opinion.Smiley

I spec'd mine virtually as per this video.

I see, you're starting from a Standard 918 to get to Weissach look. Yes it makes more sense then to get the weissach pack if you arrive within 12000 euros of its price.

I was focusing on performance and starting from a Weissach car to which you add the standard car options (wheels, aircon, stereo, lifter, paint, etc.) then your weight gain becomes marginal. So you're paying the weissach pack mostly for the looks and the prestige to own the more focused model. Fair enough.

I am curious how many clients will have the balls to spec their weissach cars with the 40 kgs weight gain. So no paint, no stereo, etc. nothing. In our GTE cars, a 20 kgs penalty is a few tens around a track, so 40 kgs means you gain maybe half a second, 5 seconds on the NBR maybe. So unless you're really serious about track day I would do the same and add some comfort options to the car.

It was possible to spec a Carrera GT without aircon and stereo but I've never see any. 

The more focused models always command a premium, today a 959 Sport is worth at least 50% more than a 959 comfort. So long term the Weissach pack could be the good bet.

W8MM:
    Futch:
    Hi Mike,

They are available for the front tyres and for the rear ones they are 10mm wider than OEM, section 345 instead of 335, exactly like the Supersport non N0 I have on my GT at the moment so yes they will fit.

Futch,

I was able to get a set of Cup 2's for my RS 4.0 by special ordering them through Tire Rack.  The correct sizes weren't available in normal stock, but could be ordered since they showed stock in Europe.

I see the front size for the Carrera GT is available on this link: http://www.michelinman.com/tire-selector/category/ultra-high-performance-sport/pilot-sport-cup-2/tire-details

However, it doesn't show the 345 rear size that you mention.  Do you have any more info?

BTW, I actually prefer 345 over 335 for the rear of a CGT - slightly less oversteer Smiley

Found it on Michelin UK page Mike. Bottom of the page under the TAB sizes and labelling classes.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2

Futch:

Found it on Michelin UK page Mike. Bottom of the page under the TAB sizes and labelling classes.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-cup-2

Perfect!!! Thanks so much!

--

Mike

Carrera GT + Tesla Roadster 1.5 & Model S + Panamera Turbo +  BMW Z8 + BMW 3.0 CSi + Bentley Arnage T + GT3 RS 4.0

Just hung up with my dealer. My car is entering production floor next Monday, also got an invite to fly over to see it, but has to be quick as it will only be on the floor Sept 1st, 2nd and 3rd, 3 days only. Porsche is getting the hang of building it now, before it was a week on the floor, now it's 3 days only.

I can finally see the finishing line!!

--

Congrats...Looking forward to seeing pictures and your initial review of the 918.

--

2014 Porsche 991 C4S Black with Sports Design Package,  2013 Porsche Cayenne Dark Blue Metallic, 2015 Porsche MACAN S (May 2014 Delivery) New York

Awesome, have fun Nick!!!

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Trip all booked up, gonna be at the factory on the 3rd, I am guessing it will be somewhere in the last couple stations where it will be 'almost' complete. 

My wife thinks I am out of my mind to fly half way around the world just to see 'a car' for an afternoon. 

I asked her if she would fly to France to see her customized Birkin getting stitched up, she said yes cause she can go shopping in Europe and make a vacation out of it mail

Not sure if she gets what I meant to ask.

--

Sounds great, man.  Hope you have a fantastic time.  A real memory in the making!

Any chance you'll get to drive a factory 918 around a bit while there?

Yet, were you able to refute her logic?

Whoopsy:

Trip all booked up, gonna be at the factory on the 3rd, I am guessing it will be somewhere in the last couple stations where it will be 'almost' complete. 

My wife thinks I am out of my mind to fly half way around the world just to see 'a car' for an afternoon. 

I asked her if she would fly to France to see her customized Birkin getting stitched up, she said yes cause she can go shopping in Europe and make a vacation out of it mail

Not sure if she gets what I meant to ask.

Of course she gets it... She's just trying to let you think she didn't Smiley

Have a nice trip! Smiley

--

Suzy

Nick, just tell her you're going to take the hour drive to go to the Auto-Salon in Singen and YOU can go shopping TOO!! blush They DO have a 959 Sport...

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Mithras:

Nick, just tell her you're going to take the hour drive to go to the Auto-Salon in Singen and YOU can go shopping TOO!! blush They DO have a 959 Sport...

SmileyExcellent idea!! They have an amazing collection of cars for sale!

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/en/

--

Suzy

davew (cincy):

Sounds great, man.  Hope you have a fantastic time.  A real memory in the making!

Any chance you'll get to drive a factory 918 around a bit while there?

Probably not, since I drove one already at my last group trip there. And I am only spending an afternoon there, fly in at 10:30am go straight to the factory and then fly out the next morning. The primary focus is just to see my car on the floor and maybe sneak in a pic or 2 of it Smiley

--

SuzyF:
    Mithras:

SmileyExcellent idea!! They have an amazing collection of cars for sale!

http://www.autosalon-singen.de/en/

--

Suzy

Holy cow I haven't even have mine yet and they have 3 for sale?

--

apias:

Her logic is beyond comprehension.

I left last Friday morning for a 4hr drive, by noon I already got a SMS from her showing off a little blue box, by the time I finished my Friday round she had sent over a couple more victory photos of her carrying 2 gigantic Hermes boxes, as in 1 of them can't fit in the front trunk of the Turbo S.  

She told me since I went on a trip, that means I would automatic buy something so that's the green light for her to spend money too.

--

Whoopsy:
    apias:

Her logic is beyond comprehension.

I left last Friday morning for a 4hr drive, by noon I already got a SMS from her showing off a little blue box, by the time I finished my Friday round she had sent over a couple more victory photos of her carrying 2 gigantic Hermes boxes, as in 1 of them can't fit in the front trunk of the Turbo S.  

She told me since I went on a trip, that means I would automatic buy something so that's the green light for her to spend money too.

That's the main logic of marriage. Everything you buy yourself costs the double. Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

I have been really interested in the car lately, after seeing all the videos online, the numerous tests, so I enquired Porsche and was immediately invited to try the car. The test occurred today in Holland on the Zandvoort track. 

First of all, what a track! Lots of turns, some blind corners, slow, fast, going up and down, really glad to have discovered it, really nice old school track.

Porsche legend Gis Van Lennep was there, it was awesome to meet the guy.

Very nice costumer event, first I drove a 991 Turbo then a 991 Turbo S and finally a 918 Weissach behind an instructor in a Turbo.

First the 991. Well, I think the choice of car was wrong, why not a GT3 since it was a track event? Shame… This is the first time I was driving the road car. The only 991 I had driven before is the RSR so can't even compare (metzger engine, hydraulic steering, much wider track, more aero, etc.).

I was a bit disappointed by both Turbo to be honest. I know I sold my 997 Turbos S a while ago but the normal Turbo didn't feel faster and the S a but more punch mid range. The big disappointment for me was the steering. The car goes where you point but it's completely lifeless, no feedback at all, it's disconcerting on a track. The car setup is too soft for the track even with PDCC and PASM etc all in full attack mode. The car however is very nice to drive on the limit, you loose the back very progressively. It's a very nice GT. The PDK also is not great, it's fast but it felt slower than the 918 for example.

Then the 918. Interior is super nice. Build quality is superb! It's a like a modern Carrera GT with that center console with an iPad on it, it's awesome. The seats are very upright, especially in the passenger seat you sit too upright I thought, this is weird coming from Porsche who usually makes perfect buckets.

First lap in E mode, it's awesome, engineer told me it's on par with a base Boxster, that's impressive. So much torque, then a few laps in race mode. The chassis is amazing, extremely stiff and rigid. The steering is surprisingly heavy but it's sharper than the Turbo and somehow you get more into coming up though your hands. No roll at all. For a road car, I mean, that's really extreme. Weight? Can't feel to be honest. the car is 1640 kgs, yes you feel the inertia on braking, but on acceleration it's really fast and neutral. Couldn't feel the 4WD either to be honest, I had a few oversteer moments on exit and the car's behaviour was just perfect. 

The brakes were very weird and disappointing, at the end of the straight, I slammed the brakes and there is no feel at all. Porsche guys said it was normal due to regen and than you get used to it, but I only did a few laps and I didn't. They are much more natural in Laferrari which also use regen.

The noise is superb, coming from right behind you. So loud! It really sounds like a race car a full speech. Doesn't' sing like a Carrera GT but it beast it in terms of volume easy!

My biggest disappointment weirdly was the combustion engine. It's too linear. For example, compared to Laf which I know very well, there is more torque in the 918, a mountain of torque actually but then between 7500 and 9000, you feel nothing. You see the rev going up but you don't feel any additional push if you see what I mean. Compared to Laf, that's when it becomes mental, those last 2000rpm the V12 just screams and delivers its ultimate punch. Also you are going so fast at those speeds, it's difficult to know where you are in the rev range in the Porsche. The Ferrari has this smart setup with diodes on the steering wheel. I was seating slightly too high in the Porsche even though I'm only 6ft.

Then we took a normal version on the roads. And it's even more impressive than on the track. Switching between E mode and Sport mode, driving in full electric is more fun than I thought and just amazing.

How to I compare the two cars? The Ferrari feels faster, no question, it's more mental, more playful. That's not saying it's faster around a track over one lap because the 918 has so much torque, but you need to adapt your driving a bit and get used to those brakes. The 918 feels its weight on braking too, there's more inertia going to the apex.

On the road, the 918 is the more versatile car, more usable I'd say, it's smaller, more discreet, just a better all rounder no question. 

Funnily enough, the perfect car would be a combination of both. The Ferrari is more of a supercar in the sense that it feels faster, the rear breaks traction more easily, there is more intimidation, it's also more fun, the 918 is glued to the road, the tyres are also much better though so that helps, Cup 2 vs Corsas. The E mode is amazing. The interior design and quality is amazing. I tested the burmeister and it's just brilliant. The stereo is the Ferrari is laughable. 

It feels a bit like the 80s when we had the 959 vs the F40. Porsche has gone further in the technological tour de force where the Ferrari feels more raw. (Although actually the 918 is stiffer, even in normal suspension mode. The Ferrari is more compliant in bumpy road mode and has a lot more body roll)

Hope this helped guys. Sorry not much structure in my post, just writing down my impressions as they came.

No word on number of cars sold but I got the impression that there plenty left available.

IMG_2374.jpg

IMG_2376.jpg

^ I call this first class driving impression  Its pity that guys like Futch are not present in automotive media...

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Futch!
    You came to the Netherlands to drive the 918 and didn't warn me?!?  laugh
    Fantastic to hear your impressions though, and extra interesting because all the experience you have with all those kinds of cars. Thanks for posting mate, and hope Holland treated you well wink

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Milanno:

^ I call this first class driving impression  Its pity that guys like Futch are not present in automotive media...

Thanks Milanno. One other comment on the track, it is so much better to have proper paddles that move with the wheel, especially now that those transmissions are so seamless,

You can downshift going into the corner and same on exit.

In the Ferrari, the paddles are fixed and it sucks, ok they are quite big but in the 918, you have those tiny little paddles just positioned perfectly, like a a race car, put simply.

Fixed paddles is absolutely awful when driving on a track or mountain roads.

Joost:

Futch!
    Fantastic to hear your impressions though, and extra interesting because all the experience you have with all those kinds of cars. Thanks for posting mate, and hope Holland treated you well wink

in and out trip so didn't see much but weather was great, track awesome and Porsche hospitality perfect! Smiley

Futch:
    Joost:

Futch!

in and out trip so didn't see much but weather was great, track awesome and Porsche hospitality perfect! Smiley

Futch thanks for sharing. Good to hear you had fun.  Are you getting one?

In terms of beauty and exotic looks which do you prefer

Also wanted to know if you've driven a pagani Huayra and what you think about them.

Cheers!

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    761745 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    435010 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    260317 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    257408 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    80877 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5318 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

871837 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    807195 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM