Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

Futch congrats on your second CGT, amazing the chance you have to change cars like I change my shirt Smiley Smiley  reading your posts are always a great pleasure. The V10 CGT is one of the best engine sounds out there tipical F1 sound. 

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

kissGt silver with brown interior is the classic Carrera GT combo IMHO! 

Ziggy:

It is indeed. This second car was never a plan to be honest. But the RSR was proving very difficult to sell so when the deal came through I figured it was that or risking keeping the RSR for next season and modern race cars are not keepers.

GT Silver/ Ascot is the classic Carrera GT. It's what I was looking for back in 08 and the black one showed up and was at a very good price. 

Having cars is one thing but driving them it what it's all about, especially the modern ones because of depreciation. The F12 will be next to go. Again this was a very good purchasing opportunity but they are going down fast so need to time it right to avoid the 599 tragedy.

I might part with the LFA too. Sad but maybe a good buyer and also the fact that the car I have is compromised for me. I'm really anal about my cars and some things really annoy me with the LFA. It's a canadian car so the lights are always on, the GPS doesn't work, the radio doesn't work and then the pedals are offset to the left and that drives me mad. I know, details, especially compared to the rest of the car but like I said, I'm anal. Aren't we all when it comes to ours cars. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on this forum...Smiley

@Futch: what is your opinion about the Carrera GT in terms of active safety. Some, including RC, consider it a very dangerous car with its lack of electronic aids. Have you also evaluated it in the wet?

--

"Form follows function"

reginos:

@Futch: what is your opinion about the Carrera GT in terms of active safety. Some, including RC, consider a very dangerous car with its lack of electronic aids. Have you evaluated it in the wet?

The car doesn't have ESP so I see RC's point you have to be careful in the wet (in the dry too mind you). It has a TC which you can deactivate and it has ABS.

With more modern tyres the handling is less snappy and more progressive, it's a very neutral car with a slight tendency to understeer but not much.

One problem is the width of the rear tyres, you have to be careful with aquaplaning and also oversteer in low gears in tight corners in the wet.

I have driven it in the wet and you have to be careful but it's not a vicious car. I wouldn't say it is dangerous. You can tell the car has racing genes for sure, but that's what also makes it wonderful. It can be challenging to drive but the rewards are even greater. It's really a driver's car. 

I took it on the one day course at the Porsche silverstone driving centre and there they have a low grip circle and also a kick pad on very low grip surface, it's all good fun but it also shows you that the car's handling is natural. 

Of all my cars, it's one of the most challenging at the limit but also the most rewarding. It is very similar to the Maclaren F1 GTR actually. Better brakes, better engine imo, heavier so less agile but very similar handling characteristic. The F1 doesn't even have ABS nor TC. Nor did the road cars to my knowledge. And nobody says they are dangerous are they? I think the people who say the GT is dangerous have a) not driven it or b) they've driven it like they drive a modern sport car with EPS on. In Lala, I floor the throttle in 2nd gear coming out of a hairpin in sport mode and as long I have lock, nothing happens. Ultra safe. Same in a 458 etc. I presume.

To answer your question, no I don't think it's a dangerous car at all, but you have to drive it with respect and most importantly, you have to have basic car control skills. I'm not saying car racing skills but one day with an instructor on a racetrack will teach you a lot for example.

Would it be better with an amazing ESP like there is in Lala? Yes of course. But then it wouldn't be as challenging either. it really is a racing car for the road.

Thank you for your expert reply  wink

--

"Form follows function"

Great reply, Futch.  What is LaLa?

LaFerrari ! 

--

"Form follows function"

For the average driver, the car is more than a handful. Francoise and Mike are very experienced and talented drivers. Even for good drivers. the car can be deadly. Look no further than the driver of the Walker car. By most accounts he was doing around 90 mph when he lost control.

Re: 918 latest news

For the average driver, the car is more than a handful. Francoise and Mike are very experienced and talented drivers. Even for good drivers. the car can be deadly. Look no further than the driver of the Walker car. By most accounts he was doing around 90 mph when he lost control.

Reply Quote Top Threads

the driver of the the walker car was a fool 
    no one drives any super ca at those speed in a populated area causing danger for himself and others around him 
    also he had cold tires 
    the first think you learn when racing is you don't do it with cold tires

DJC:
    Re: 918 latest news

Reply Quote Top Threads

the driver of the the walker car was a fool 
    no one drives any super ca at those speed in a populated area causing danger for himself and others around him 
    also he had cold tires 
    the first think you learn when racing is you don't do it with cold tires

I don't know the circumstances of the walker crash so I won't comment. 

All I can say is that today yes I have become an moderately skilled amateur racing driver but when I bought my GT in 08 I had close to zero experience. My previous cars were a Boxster S, a 996 C4 cab (shameful…) and a 599.

I was shit scared the first few kilometres but I really took it slowly and most of all, I did that course with Porsche at silverstone and I did plenty of trackdays with qualified instructors at tracks like Lurcy Levis where you can go off without harm. 

My point is that it's a special car that needs a minimum amount of car control skills that's all. Drive it like a fool and indeed, because of the lack of ESP, you can get hurt.

Wonderbar:

Great reply, Futch.  What is LaLa?

Laferrari yes. When I picked it up at Maranello, that's the nick name they've given it over there. It's a pretty lame name but at least it's better than Laferrari.

He may have been a fool but consider this;

Where do you think 99% of speeding is done? On a track?mail

To my knowledge there is nothing to indicate the tires were "cold".

The driver was an experienced track driver and an expert mechanic.

I drove my Carrera GT on the track and did !6000 miles on my GT and I can assure you the car car is a joy 

Don"t think because a person is professional he doesn't make mistakes in judgment ,

tacking a car to limits to impress 

from what I read he got into the car and drove at speed 90mph and considering the distance I don't beleive the tires could of been at good racing temperature  

DJC:

I drove my Carrera GT on the track and did !6000 miles on my GT and I can assure you the car car is a joy 

Don"t think because a person is professional he doesn't make mistakes in judgment ,

tacking a car to limits to impress 

from what I read he got into the car and drove at speed 90mph and considering the distance I don't beleive the tires could of been at good racing temperature  

FWIW, I have always maintained that the CGT is one of the best cars I have ever driven. But I also know that unless you are extremely vigilant you can loss it quickly unlike most other high performance cars.

Possibly the accident had nothing to do with the characteristics of the car or the skill of the driver. He might have lost his attention due to a distraction from something outside or even from his passenger and he crashed. At 90 mph you travel at 40 meters a second. That's enough for a momentary lapse of conentration to cause an accident in the  confines of a city street with lots of obstructions to crash on.

I don't think we should attribute this accident to the assumed dangerrousness of the Carrera GT.

--

"Form follows function"

IMHO the Carrera GT gets beaten too much for being "dangerous". Firstly, all cars are dangerous in inexperienced hands. Secondly, it is >600hp car. That is almost F1 territory! Bad things will happen.

There are two things money does not buy: style and experience  You see this far too often.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Agree

Futch:
    Ziggy:

It is indeed. This second car was never a plan to be honest. But the RSR was proving very difficult to sell so when the deal came through I figured it was that or risking keeping the RSR for next season and modern race cars are not keepers.

GT Silver/ Ascot is the classic Carrera GT. It's what I was looking for back in 08 and the black one showed up and was at a very good price. 

Having cars is one thing but driving them it what it's all about, especially the modern ones because of depreciation. The F12 will be next to go. Again this was a very good purchasing opportunity but they are going down fast so need to time it right to avoid the 599 tragedy.

I might part with the LFA too. Sad but maybe a good buyer and also the fact that the car I have is compromised for me. I'm really anal about my cars and some things really annoy me with the LFA. It's a canadian car so the lights are always on, the GPS doesn't work, the radio doesn't work and then the pedals are offset to the left and that drives me mad. I know, details, especially compared to the rest of the car but like I said, I'm anal. Aren't we all when it comes to ours cars. Otherwise, we wouldn't be on this forum...Smiley

Futch,

It is a smart move to sell RSR in exchange of CGT. Will you also sell one of the CGTs? If yes, which one?

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

pride355:
    Futch:
    Ziggy:

Futch,

It is a smart move to sell RSR in exchange of CGT. Will you also sell one of the CGTs? If yes, which one?

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

That would be the logical move. No point keeping two identical cars. I think they are going up, slowly but surely. So the idea would be to keep the 5000km one and sell my black one in the not too distant future, maybe in a year or two.

I bought the black one in 2008 when it had 6000km on the clock and two previous owners and now it has 26000km.

How about the GTI 1.9 do you still have it?

--

J.Seven

997.2 Cab 2S

Maserati Quattroporte Sport GTS

BMW X6 4.0D

BMW X5 4.4i V8

J.Seven:

How about the GTI 1.9 do you still have it?

Of course, but this one stays in France so I drive it less!!! I bought that car with a couple of friends for 7000 euros two years ago and now it's worth between 9000 and 10000 euros! Great deal. It's an icon. 

And tonight I took for a spin my Lancia Delta Integrale EVO. I've never had so many thumbs up in these two cars.

And no kidding, they are sooooo much fun drive! The Integrale gear ratios are super long and not much happens below 3000rpm, but beyond and all the way to 6000, it's just glued to the road! Brakes are awful but it's so alive, I love it! 5x time rally world champion!Smiley

I've never bought the line that the CGT was dangerous. It's just a car that you can't smash the throttle all day in any conditions and direction. I find it hard to believe I'd ever wreck a CGT even without any real track experience. Driving safely isn't really that complicated or difficult.

reginos:

@Futch: what is your opinion about the Carrera GT in terms of active safety. Some, including RC, consider it a very dangerous car with its lack of electronic aids. Have you also evaluated it in the wet?

Maybe you should add that this applies to mostly unexperienced drivers. I would never get a CGT for the reason I mentioned before: I love to experience the limit in my cars and with the CGT, I'm not so sure it would be safe enough for me. I have driven the CGT on a couple of occasions but I never pushed it too hard because A. it wasn't my car and B. I always had in mind that even Walter Röhrl crashed one. Walter is one of the drivers who usually knows his limits very well, so I really didn't want to press my luck. I have a lot of respect towards the CGT but also keep in mind that Futch already did and does professional race car driving and his training and additional experience surely makes him a better "fit" for the CGT than me for example.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

noone1:

I've never bought the line that the CGT was dangerous. It's just a car that you can't smash the throttle all day in any conditions and direction. I find it hard to believe I'd ever wreck a CGT even without any real track experience. Driving safely isn't really that complicated or difficult.

A little bit too much throttle in a curve with a little bit too much sand/little stones on the road and bye bye... Smiley This is why I said: Do not underestimate the CGT. It is not a dangerous car, it just isn't a car for beginners or even average experienced drivers. 

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Futch:

And tonight I took for a spin my Lancia Delta Integrale EVO. I've never had so many thumbs up in these two cars.

And no kidding, they are sooooo much fun drive! The Integrale gear ratios are super long and not much happens below 3000rpm, but beyond and all the way to 6000, it's just glued to the road! Brakes are awful but it's so alive, I love it! 5x time rally world champion!Smiley

Dammit, F., now I officially hate you. Smiley Smiley

If you ever want to get tired of this car, leave it in front of my garage. Smiley

--

RC:
    Futch:

Dammit, F., now I officially hate you. Smiley Smiley

If you ever want to get tired of this car, leave it in front of my garage. Smiley

You're actually one of the first guys to tell me how amazing that car is. I remember you had one. It's amazing you how much fun you can have with so little power. Epic hot hatch!

I don't want to go too far off-topic, but when it's about the Integrale, my heart starts beating faster! Smiley

Thinking about getting one for a while now, but there's something holding me back. Probably the infamous Italian build quality and the fact that I have to depend on finding a good mechanic to maintain the car. 
    I've been very tempted by this baby:
    http://www.delta-integrale.com/en-evo_16v_dealers_collection__limited_edition-150-info-60.html

It's quite expensive though (EUR 69,000), but damn... that color (Rosso Perlato Metallic) is just perfect! no

--

Suzy

2013 Porsche Boxster S (MT) | Basalt black metallic    [SOLD]
    2014 Audi A6 Avant 3.0 BiTDI Quattro | Moonshine blue metallic

SuzyF:

http://www.delta-integrale.com/en-evo_16v_dealers_collection__limited_edition-150-info-60.html

It's quite expensive though (EUR 69,000), but damn... that color (Rosso Perlato Metallic) is just perfect! no

Very nice! Smiley Get it Smiley

I have seen one of those Martini Integrales a lot around where I live. Super cool car.

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

bluelines:
    SuzyF:

Very nice! Smiley Get it Smiley

I have seen one of those Martini Integrales a lot around where I live. Super cool car.

Couldn't be more OT than that but it's for a just cause, a monument of the automotive world. Seriously, everyone with petrol in the veins should own once in his life a Delta Intergrale. And a 968 Clubsport. And an E30 M3. And a 993. 

Back to Lancia, yes 69k euros is pushing it but low mileage clean cars are commanding serious premiums now!

I love the Martinis but they can go up to 100k euros! That's just silly.

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    688803 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    408812 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255576 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234826 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65426 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4638 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857668 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773557 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM