Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

SportCarGroup:

At this angle and light it looks like gun-silver...

Click for full size

21540717_d1fdc766f1d0f49bbe9e42625a2c9a57_xl.jpg

-

That looks amazing. I think it's just the normal liquid metal paint with whatever the lighting happened to be.

The 918 looks very striking and extreme when viewed from above, like in the picture.  However, this is the perspective looked at, the most seldom.

From the frequently observed other perspectives the car looks relatively plain and conservative, given its speed and price. A classic Porsche shape nevertheless.

--

"Form follows function"

Whoopsy:
    Futch:

I love the 959. But  its tech is completely dated. 

Actually the 918 is half CGT, good and half 959, in the sense that it is so complicated technologically that in 10 to 20 years time, no on will bother or know how to look after them. Today it is remarkably difficult to repair let alone to maintain a 959. When it came out, it was ultra sophisticated and today it is so dated. Its adjustable suspension are a nightmare, it uses special magnesium wheels that you can't find anymore and porsche more often than not doesn't have OEM spares. I know because I bought a comfort car and it costs me dearly to refurbish it and it was a bit of a nightmare.

I'm selling it without even having driven it because I ended finding a sport version which is the one to collect, lighter and simpler and a lot rarer. 

Get a 959, no doubt. Plus it has racing pedigree, and it is going up in value big time! But buy wisely. 

My point is of all three hypercars, the 918 is the most fascinating but also the most complex and the one that relies the most on battery tech. What if in ten years battery has moved on so much that it renders the 918 obsolete?

i desire one really badly, but I really want to see first which way they are heading in terms of value and reliability. 

It's the tech that fascinate me, I am a super geek at heart. To me the 959 is a showcase milestone in Porsche history, it's tech has gone into a lot of the road cars that comes after, I see the 918 the same way. The CGT is a completely different animal, it's not a tech heavy showcase car but a properly engineered street car that was conceived as a race car initially. 

I have had casual inquiries about the 959, they are indeed at a much higher prices than I thought they would be. Canepa in the US modified a few to make it more livable, i.e. the suspension and wheels. But they also tuned up the engine too and I didn't really want that. 

Yes after 6 dry laps maybe a couple more, but remember I was literally braking like my race cars ie around 100 bars on the pedals. You just don't do that in a road car, I did in this instance because I was arriving so fast and was surprised by the speed so to speak. 280 in the straight compared to 250 in the 911. Massive difference. I cooled the brakes and let it rest and it was fine there after by braking a little earlier and less pressure. 

I heard canepa modifies 959 by removing the tricky suspensions but investment wise it's better to get a sport. You can leave the engine untouched but this engine is probably the strongest engine porsche has ever built, it's good for 650 ps easy I'd say. It is literally bullet proof. 

The carrera GT is a race car project converted to a road car and to me, that makes it so cool. Carbon tub, carbon clutch, low weight and just so pure to drive. 

reginos:

The 918 looks very striking and extreme when viewed from above, like in the picture.  However, this is the perspective looked at, the most seldom.

From the frequently observed other perspectives the car looks relatively plain and conservative, given its speed and price. A classic Porsche shape nevertheless.

I agree but that's why Porsche are elegant and Timeless. In discreet colours the 918 is to the normal person a very special boxster and a lot of owners value that. 

The Ferrari special editions are all about extreme styling and aggressiveness. And they get away with it because it is ferrari. Mclaren has tried and the result is less convincing IMO. 

Futch, do you keep or still drive your more (relative to the rest of your stable) ordinary cars, like your 997.1 Carrera S or 997.1 GT3 RS?  Are you keeping all of them or are there some you let go because you do not drive them anymore or are made redundant by your other acquisitions?

Ziggy:

Futch, do you keep or still drive your more (relative to the rest of your stable) ordinary cars, like your 997.1 Carrera S or 997.1 GT3 RS?  Are you keeping all of them or are there some you let go because you do not drive them anymore or are made redundant by your other acquisitions?

I sold the 997S and the 997 turbo S. I still drive the RS 3.6 from time to time because it's amazing although the engine lacks torque compared to the 4.0 but I share it now so my mates can enjoy it too. 

As a dd I love driving the sport classic, it's a very fine car but mostly because it's achingly gorgeous and the interior is exquisite. Also the singer. I wish I could drive it more because it's a car that has several layers. It's like a tense ball of muscles that car. So pretty too. 

I also use a delta integrale. It's slow and doesn't brake but is uber cool. I get so many thumbs up in this car it's amazing!

I really really try to drive all my cars as much as possible and get enjoyment out of them, looks, noises, performance, feel etc. any trip is an excuse. 

Futch:
    reginos:

I agree but that's why Porsche are elegant and Timeless. In discreet colours the 918 is to the normal person a very special boxster and a lot of owners value that. 

The Ferrari special editions are all about extreme styling and aggressiveness. And they get away with it because it is ferrari. Mclaren has tried and the result is less convincing IMO. 

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the 918 will be viewed as a special Boxster hehe. It looks tame in pictures, but the car looks very, very exotic in real life. It's low, wide, has a crazy looking exhaust. Even with a low-key color the car is insane looking relative to normal cars.

Like the 12C for example; in pictures it's not that aggressive or exotic looking, but when I drive it around, it's crazy looking to the normal public. Same with the R8. Non-stop pictures etc. I don't live in LA or London though...

I said it in a positive way. In a darker colour most people wont look twice and that's a very good thing. Yes it is a gorgeous car, I saw it in weissach but it is not extravagant like a supercar should be. It is elegant and classy. And this Porsches owners love. 

I think the next RS will look more aggressive for example. 

The 12C I find bland and very generic. The 650 S is better with its P1 front. 

Oh I know, I was just saying that while some cars to us car nuts can look bland and not extravagant, I don't think they blend in at all in public. I look at everything because I'm a car person and my girlfriend wouldn't even look at an LF or P1 because she's never even had a driver's license, but for all those people who drive sports cars or just like cars in general, a 918 is wild looking. A black car in E-mode at night in Stuttgart may blend in.  Maybe.

This is just my experience in owning what many consider to be the more bland cars in recent memory ;) If you live someplace where these cars are the norm it may be a bit different, but I'd say even in most major cities and 918 will turn tons of heads and get tons of pictures taken.

It's only my opinion though. I'll have to wait until Whoopsy lends me his to test my theory ;)

You mean we should try a cruise down Wilshire? Or Sunset? 

But you know, last time in Stuttgart, while outside of the Museum, we saw a couple 918s waiting at the signal to turn into the factory, not a whole lot of pedestrians were looking at the 2 cars, neither did the 2 GT3RS in disguise that came out for testing get much attention.

--

Is that why you buy a car ?

personally I buy a car for my satisfaction ,I don't care what other people think 

if you want to impress other buy a Ferrari !!

Whoopsy:

But you know, last time in Stuttgart, while outside of the Museum, we saw a couple 918s waiting at the signal to turn into the factory, not a whole lot of pedestrians were looking at the 2 cars, neither did the 2 GT3RS in disguise that came out for testing get much attention.

Near the factory, you will draw more attention driving a VW Golf Smiley

Since this thread has evolved in a cool way, any real world thoughts on the LFA  are appreciated, thanks

DJC:

Is that why you buy a car ?

personally I buy a car for my satisfaction ,I don't care what other people think 

if you want to impress other buy a Ferrari !!

Wrong. If you want great drive feel and ownership experience buy a Ferrari. Looks is secondary.

Not sure this color combo has been posted - apparently delivered in Miami.

1407896121103pzhG7g7.jpg

It is still Liquid Metal Silver, looks dark because of the bright sunlight and car sitting in the shades

--

Too many colors IMO. Green calipers, red interior and metal silver exterior just does not look right to my eyes. 

So my deal with the initial F12 fell through. Lining up a couple more, a black one or a rosso corsa. I am seriously hooked on the V12. 

--

Whoopsy:

So my deal with the initial F12 fell through. Lining up a couple more, a black one or a rosso corsa. I am seriously hooked on the V12. 

Black! Red suits the rear engined better IMO. 

I am also all for black on the F12. There is one for sale at a garage near by and it looks so good in black. Elegant , mean and somehow discreet. Perfect for this kind of car. 

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

roadtrip:

Since this thread has evolved in a cool way, any real world thoughts on the LFA  are appreciated, thanks

The LFA is a very very special car. It's the most versatile of my supercars in the sense that you can really easily cruise along but then you gun it it's a proper beast.

The rear is very nervous yet progressive, very playful chassis. The most impressive characteristic of the car is its noise, tuned by Yamaha, it sings and sings, the valves opens up at 3000rpm and all the way to 9500 you can hear this wonderful F1 song it's insane. They tuned the noise so that it sounds the same inside the cabin, unlike the carrera GT which sounds very generic and coarse inside. It's truly wonderful. 

The second amazing feature that really surprises is how rigid the chassis feels. It's a carbon tub and it lets you know. The NBR version is stiff on the road but not uncomfortable. 

The brakes are better than the 4.0 which is saying something, maybe a bit over assisted. The gearbox is single clutch but not an issue. Very mechanical you can really feel the gears popping up on the upshift. 

Franckly it's just an epic car. It's super exclusive. Super special. Really well built. Only downside is in the uk, the service is crap. I think there are only two costumer cars and the lexus press car. Last summer I broke the right radiator and I had to wait four months for japan to send one over. Yep, four months!!!!! It was cheap though. 

--

sportcars-history.com

kudryavchik:

Futch, notice anything about this low-key black one? They didn't look twice because they never stopped looking at it angel

haha, look at the attention, this thing attracted... indecision

Yes it is gorgeous. Hey my GT is black so you don't need to convince me. It's a very nice blend of aggression and elegance. Like all black cars it doesn't catch the eye but once you see it of course you admire it. 

Perfection in JPG format indecision

porsche-918-spyder-c572314082014114556_5.jpg

On the ground in Toronto.

On the ground in Toronto. Second favorite colour combo. Love the red. Only brown with silver piping over the dark blue tugs harder.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

Futch:
    Whoopsy:

Black! Red suits the rear engined better IMO. 

I am trying really hard this time around to get a deal done.

Was a bit disappointed not getting the other car, that was a white one but since a black one become available I am not looking back anymore.

--

Saw my good friend's black F12 with burgundy interior recently. Absolutely stunningl

Mithras:

On the ground in Toronto.

On the ground in Toronto. Second favorite colour combo. Love the red. Only brown with silver piping over the dark blue tugs harder.

--

Past-President, Porsche Club of America - Upper Canada Region

That would be the 2nd 918 in Canada destined for Greater Toronto area. 3rd one will be Montreal. Then the 4th..........

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 4/17/24 7:16 AM
    GnilM
    774895 1798
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 4/7/24 11:48 AM
    Boxster Coupe GTS
    440404 565
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    262091 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    260327 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    84845 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    5442 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

879439 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    814287 3868
    Porsche Welcome to the new Taycan Forum! 2/10/24 4:43 PM