Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

2014 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

After a dramatic race in Hungary, it's the summer break. Some weeks without F1 Smiley

I think the rivalry between Hamilton and Rosberg is just going to keep on getting more and more intense with plenty more twists and turns along the way.

Looking forward to it Smiley

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Re: 2014 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

My prediction:

1. LH, 2. NR, 3. DR, 4. FA, 5. KR, 6. VB....

Can't wait to watch that race

Don't know about you guys but I'm suffering serious F1 withdrawal symptoms since the last race ... hope I can make it till the next race weekend :)

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

F1 is becoming too clinically boring and the drivers resemble marionettes lacking real personality IMO.

OK, I prefer Mercedes winning rather than Ferrari but I cannot sense any passion. 

I barely care to watch a whole race it this season.

If Schumacher's Ferrari years was the zenith of F1 popularity worldwide, nowadays it is a definite nadir.

--

"Form follows function"

I have to respectfully disagree. Disregarding the fact that Mercedes has been ridiculously dominant, the racing from 3rd back to 10th has been the best we've seen in years: more overtaking, more battles to overtake, just a lot more going on on track. Much of this is because of the reduced aero packages on the cars, which actually makes it possible to stay close enough to fight for position, but, with the limitation of the tires, costly to not do it well.

The only thing I don't like is the whole concept of DRS zones. DRS is fine, but they should either let them use it whenever they want or eliminate it altogether. This system where the driver in front becomes a sitting duck just because the driver behind is within 1 second of him is artificial and ridiculous.

It's a lot more interesting than immediately previous years, or the Schumacher/Ferrari era.

Agree. Some great racing; occasionally even at the front.

Agree too re DRS. It did make the racing interesting again, but it is artificial. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that if they remove the DRS zones, we would be back to the boring no-passing of a few seasons ago.

At least on camera, the majority of the passing I've seen this season has been in the turns: the real stuff, the kind a driver earns. So, while getting rid of the DRS zone gimmick might reduce the number of passes on the straights, particularly in front of the grandstands, I still think there'd be a lot of passing going on this season. And, you might still see Hamilton blow by some cars in what would have been DRS zones as he works his way up to the leaders, after starting from the back of the grid or pit lane, following whatever mishap he had in qualifying that week.

I would have done it the other way, take out the DRS system but add a downforce generator, so we get to see passing on outside of turns etc.

--

In a sense, that's what the DRS system does, just the other way around, it eliminates downforce (and drag) on the straights. DRS would be fine if everyone was allowed to use it as desired, it's just the sitting duck aspect, where the car in front isn't allowed to use it while the car behind is, that makes it objectionable. 

The problem with adding more downforce than they currently have is that it actually makes overtaking on the turns harder. In past years, where cars were generating a lot more downforce, the aero packages that did this so disturbed the air coming off them that the following car, if it got too close, would lose downforce (because the angle of attack on the aero components would be all wrong due to the turbulence generated ahead), even if it had the same aero package -- for example, in the case of teammates.

The lower downforce generated by this year's cars is exactly why we've been able to witness the recent exciting battles between, for example, Alonso and Vettel, and Alonso and Ricciardo. In past years, the following driver would have had no chance in the turns and would have had to keep a greater distance to maintain downforce, and thus traction, leaving them even less in position to make a move on the straights as well.

Low downforce is good for exciting racing. DRS zones are a gimmick that undermines the integrity of the sport.

I know I am talking about the system in reverse, but in my mind if cars can have extra downforce, they would be taking different lines into corners and the turbulence factor would be moot as they are not actually following the same trajectory.

A car with the extra downforce can 'stick' on a faster line, but only if they have the guts and skill to take that line. And even if a pass didn't happen during the corner, the outside car should have a faster exit speed and higher top speed before the next corner and a pass should naturally occurred either on the straight or braking part. It creates 3 different points of potential passing instead of the single one during DRS zone. 

--

My fear is that passing on the outside is always a bad idea in racing.  You are always at the merci of the guy on the inside.  With open wheels there would be many more accidents.  Maybe...  Just wish the cars sounded like they did in the old days - last year...

Somehow, we made it though the Summer factory break ... can't wait till this weekend kiss

--

It seems to be OK to cause a collision that punctures your opponent's tyre?

--

@easy_rider911

I don't understand it either why NR hasn't been penalized for that action?!

-> NR is an ID**T!!!

Poor LH, great drive of DR and VB.

Finally KR is back and outpfermorming FA.

IMHO it would be great if LH would still win the championship by winning the last "double-worth"-race at the end of the year!

How comes that the RB were that fast on the mainstraights? They improved a lot...

The Belgian crowd rightly booed Rosberg. One should not win a World Championship this way. It should be a fair and clean fight.

--

Good discussion on BBC with Coulthard and Eddie Jordan. No malice on behalf of Rosberg but frustration and clumsiness. Lewis was unlucky to puncture a wheel. Otherwise he would have been the one to benefit. Nevertheless, Hamilton stayed out after the incident but couldn't make any progress like in the previous races when he came back from behind. He lost his temper and he could not drive. Too emotional, I think.

Overall a racing incident which could have been avoided.

Lauda and Wolff, understandably furious.

IMO Rosberg has an inferiority complex towards Hamilton, as driver and Hamilton cannot accept that Rosberg has had all the breaks and has been so much in front on points.

--

"Form follows function"

@reginos: I recommend you try to watch Sky's analysis. Rosberg turned in on Hamilton, realised he was too close then turned in again when there was no prospect of getting past. Hamilton stayed on the racing line and didn't deviate. Rosberg should have backed out of the challenge. It was never on.

As for Hamilton, the incident took a huge chunk of bodywork out of the carbon floor of the car. Hamilton said he lost 50 points of downforce. It wasn't that Hamilton was too emotional. He was stuck with a crippled car that could hardly catch other cars in front since he had much reduced downforce.

if Rosberg beats Hamilton in a fair fight, I would be the first to congratulate him but Rosberg is leading by eliminating his rival.

--

I didn't realise the extent of damage to Lewis' car. Thanks for pointing this out. 

So far Rosberg has been an unworthy championship leader, being there by good fortune. Today he showed his frustration and volatility towards Hamilton. 

When Rosberg passed Alonso on the straight the Mercedes was doing 331 km/h to the Ferrari's 306 km/h!!

--

"Form follows function"

No problem. If you look at the side of the rear left floor of Hamilton's car, it looks like the edge of a violin or a cello, with a huge chunk missing.

In the post race interviews, Rosberg had the nerve to say that the booing people were just British fans. He's deluding himself in the way that Vettel did last year when race fans booed Vettel for winning dirty.

Most race fans at Spa were Belgian and they are hardcore, very educated in F1 and very fair, just like British fans.

Sky did a very good slo mo analysis with a virtual hawkeye reconstruction. It's a must-see explanation IMO to really see what happened. The BBC doesn't have a SkyPad like Sky Sports F1 does.

Anthony Davidson said that, if a rookie made the same mistake as Rosberg, he would be punished heavily but Rosberg keeps getting away with murder. The Belgian stewards were too lenient.

And why was there no safety car to retrieve all the debris? The tyre carcass went everywhere. It ruined Massa's race since the rubber went into his engine air intake. Rosberg himself had tyre debris stuck on his aerial.

--

easy_rider911:

No problem. If you look at the side of the rear left floor of Hamilton's car, it looks like the edge of a violin or a cello, with a huge chunk missing.

In the post race interviews, Rosberg had the nerve to say that the booing people were just British fans. He's deluding himself in the way that Vettel did last year when race fans booed Vettel for winning dirty.

Most race fans at Spa were Belgian and they are hardcore, very educated in F1 and very fair, just like British fans.

Sky did a very good slo mo analysis with a virtual hawkeye reconstruction. It's a must-see explanation IMO to really see what happened. The BBC doesn't have a SkyPad like Sky Sports F1 does.

Anthony Davidson said that, if a rookie made the same mistake as Rosberg, he would be punished heavily but Rosberg keeps getting away with murder. The Belgian stewards were too lenient.

And why was there no safety car to retrieve all the debris? The tyre carcass went everywhere. It ruined Massa's race since the rubber went into his engine air intake. Rosberg himself had tyre debris stuck on his aerial.

--

Excellent analysis, 100% agreed!

--

2003 BMW M3 CSL (sold) / 2008 Porsche 911 GT3 RS / 2013 MINI John Cooper Works GP / 2014 BMW Alpina D3 biturbo Touring

I'm keen to see what happens once the Mercedes team debriefing is over. Lauda and Wolff were rightly furious. Mercedes should have had an easy 1-2 today. Instead, Rosberg had to battle hard to climb to 2nd place with Hamilton finally retiring early. Thanks to weak leadership (since Wolff and Lowe lack Ross Brawn's authority), Mercedes is gifting points and wins to Red Bull. No one doubts that Mercedes will still win the Constructors' Title, despite repeatedly tripping up like this. However, we, the fans, are being denied a proper wheel to wheel fight, like we saw at Bahrain.

--

And the truth is now coming out ...

Hamilton says that Rosberg has admitted at the post-race debriefing that he allowed contact to happen to "prove a point" ... i.e. he could have avoided a collision but he hit Hamilton deliberately.

People assume Rosberg is an angel. He isn't. Monaco showed it but it was just inconclusive enough so that people gave Rosberg the benefit of the doubt.

But I want to see this confirmed before relying on this info.

--

http://inagist.com/all/503566437013659649/

It appears that Mercedes may be instructing Rosberg to sit out the next race. Still unconfirmed. I cannot believe they would sacrifice points before the Constructors' Title is wrapped up. I think the internet rumour mill may be going into overdrive.

--

easy_rider911:

--

I also agree 100%.

Each GP I'm liking Ros less and less, no wonder he gets booed by the crowd.

Also great job by Ric, not only was he falwless but also brought out maximum performance of either sofe and medium tire. What a reality check this season has been for Vettel... who BTW had tto be warned again on this GP of not using the outside of the track in his favor when exiting the turns, especifically turn 15.

Lord_Driftalot:

Finally KR is back and outpfermorming FA.

What race were you watching?  You missed the minor details that Alonso dominated Kimi alll weekend but because the mechanics had fix the car on the grid (battery problem and would not start) he got a 5 second penality on the race which also placed him in traffic at the start too, the KERS would not work during the race, and he was down on power due to a fuel flow problem...none Alonso's fault, thats how Rai finished in front of Alo today. Had Alonso's car started correctly, he would of beenn on the podium today.
    And after 11 ALO vs 1 RAI races, which is not even funny,  you call today "outperforming" and being back? 1325269639981rolleyes.gif don't let your feelings make you loose touch with reality.

--

Rosberg may escape penalty for his actions today, probably because he is the leader in the championship and was against Ham, but Magnussen didn't and gets a 20 second penalty.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115549

"The driver of car 20 was defending his position on the straight between Turns 4 and 5 [Raidillon and Les Combes], a significant portion of car #14 was alongside car #20. The driver of car #20 did not leave enough space for car #14 and forced the car off the track," said an FIA statement.

Alonso was relatively unflustered by the late-race incident, saying: "When you are fighting for lower positions, sixth or seventh or whatever, it's a little bit less important.

"You just try to have fun, with safety as well, but it was not a big deal."

The penalty drops Magnussen from fifth to 12th and out of the points.

--

Joe Saward is a very respected paddock blogger ... he quotes Rosberg saying that he deliberately left his car's nose in such a position that it would catch Hamilton's car.

Surely consequences have to flow from this.

--

http://edit.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2014/08/24/Hamilton-slams-Rosbergs-driving/gnid-167129/

--

Joe Saward is a very respected paddock blogger ... he quotes Rosberg saying that he deliberately left his car's nose in such a position that it would catch Hamilton's car.

Why would he admit something like that even if it were true?!

--

"Form follows function"

My view is that Rosberg did this because he was still seething after what happened in Hungary when Hamilton refused to play ball with Rosberg's differing strategy. Why should Hamilton assist Rosberg's strategy if it would mean that Rosberg would finish ahead of him? Hamilton rightly said he was racing for himself, not for Rosberg. So Rosberg was unjustified in seeking revenge.

--

More confirmation of the admission from the BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28921431

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689681 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409315 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255791 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235015 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65542 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4649 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858075 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774136 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM