Crown

Board: Motor Sports Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 2014 Belgian F1 Grand Prix at Spa-Francorchamps

As for Hamilton, he is emotional and he is inconsistent.

He was blessed with raw speed but he only has 1 world title. He should have won it in both 2007 and 2008.

I can't stand his image with his earrings ... and the celeb lifestyle hanging out with African-American rap artists in LA (such as Jay-Z) etc ... and having a popstar girlfriend and dog in the paddock as trophies ...

He lost his way. And his personality is the reason why this happened.

So, like I said previously, I don't like him on a person level.

Button and Webber are the kind of guys I would have a beer with, not Hamilton.

But I do believe Hamilton fights cleanly. I want Rosberg to do the same so that we F1 fans can just enjoy a great title battle, whoever wins.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

easy_rider911:

One more question that should help the analysis.

If a person wants to prove a point, can this be done unintentionally?

Exactly. It isn't possible.

The way I understood this "prove a point" quote is that Rosberg decided to hold on to see who would blink first. He was not willing to back off in the fear of an accident, because if the other guy feared for a collision more he could slow down first. He wanted to prove that he was not a softy unwilling to take risks. It was the second lap and Hamilton could exercise a different type of judgement, let Rosberg pass and re-pass him in the course of the next many laps. But Hamilton held on himself risking the ensuing impact. 

In summary, Rosberg didn't crash on Hamilton cynically (a la Schumacher-Villeneuve) but raised the stakes for a possible collision had Hamilton decided to hold on. Rosberg was risking retirement himself, because such a collision cannot be engineered to puncture the opponent's tyre and carry on regardless.

IMO this is a valid attitude because this is motor racing where collisions can happen. It is not a Sunday drive on a public road, where zero risks should be taken.

Of course I wasn't invited at the Mercedes briefing but neither was you nor the various journalists who comment on Rosberg's remark. Therefore, we can all interpret things our own way.

--

"Form follows function"

easy_rider911:

He was blessed with raw speed but he only has 1 world title. He should have won it in both 2007 and 2008.

I can't stand his image with his earrings ... and the celeb lifestyle hanging out with African-American rap artists in LA (such as Jay-Z) etc ... and having a popstar girlfriend and dog in the paddock as trophies ...

Hamilton lives a black guys lifestyle which is not customary in F1. But why should it be a negative thing? Provided that he doesn't use substances (unlikely given his circle of friends), his personal style and preferences are not relevant to his racing.

--

"Form follows function"

I unfortunately didn't see the race and, because it's always popping around on different channels here, it didn't get recorded, so I'm not able to watch that either. But, reading the comments on it, and the discussion of the incident and driver comments, here's my take on what happened...

Some drivers, through a history of aggressive, no-holds-barred driving develop a psychological advantage over their rivals in critical situations. Schumacher was one of those drivers, who you knew would absolutely not give way at a critical moment, the most extreme example of which is perhaps the 2005 U.S. Grand Prix when he forced Rubens Barrichello down the run-off following his pit lane exit to prevent Barrichello taking the lead in this otherwise bizarre race. Barrichello knew that Schumacher would not give way at the last minute, and, in fact, Schumacher held his line until Barrichello was forced off the track. In this game of chicken, Barrichello "knew" that Schumacher would wreck them both before he would give Barrichello room to go around him on the outside, and Schumacher used that "knowledge", or, more precisely, fear, to his advantage to keep the lead in an otherwise (almost literally) uncontested race.

Hamilton is also one of those drivers who plays this game of chicken to his advantage and has a history of forcing other drivers off track by an absolute refusal to ever yield an inch and aggressively using that reputation to his advantage at every instance. In fact, this was exactly what was going on in Hamilton's head at Hockenheim when Hamilton crashed into Button: Hamilton just assumed that Button would let him past because he expects everyone will let him past to avoid a collision.

So, should Rosberg simply give way and signal to Hamilton, "Do what you want to me on the track because in a tight situation, you know I'll back down first?" Or, should he, championship lead in hand, deliberately, "make a point," and let Hamilton know that he cannot assume that Rosberg will back down in a critical situation, even at the risk of taking both cars out of the race. This is the point that Rosberg wanted to make to Hamilton, and I suspect that Hamilton may be a little less sure of Rosberg yielding to him in the future.

So, was it deliberate? Yes. Did Rosberg cleverly puncture Hamilton's tire while limiting his own damage to a tiny bit of front wing? No. He knew he was risking taking himself out of the race. He also knew that there was no certainty that he would come off better, or even not worse, than Hamilton. But, he did it anyway, because he wanted Hamilton to know that he cannot expect a certain win in a  game of chicken with him. Rosberg knew the stakes, knew that he might end up taking only himself out of the race, but he did it anyway to send Hamilton a message; and the next time they find themselves in a similar situation, Hamilton will be that much less certain that, in a game of chicken with Rosberg, he will escaped unscathed. This is a high stakes game where you cannot gift your opponent a psychological edge and expect to win.

Lars997:

... Hearing from Hamilton after couple of rounds already that he wants to give up tells everything. The guy is not a good sportsman and I would expect him to get punished for giving up, too. Just because you are the last should not give you the option to park the car in the pit ...

Sorry Lars but this view is not well-informed.

In the previous race in Hungary, Hamilton fought back from 22nd on the grid to reach 3rd. The most determined fighters (who come back from a terrible position) are Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel IMO.

Hamilton's puncture in Spa caused the tyre carcass to damage his carbon floor. He had a huge chunk of bodywork missing. Visually to me it looked like 30cm x 20cm. Hamilton said he lost 40-50 points of downforce because of this damage.

Remember Hamilton's engine caught fire in the previous race ... Hamilton has one fewer engine than Rosberg for the whole season. So Hamilton wanted to save mileage on the Spa engine so that he could wipe out the engine deficit. There was no point driving a damaged car that could not score points. He preferred to save that engine.

In the end, his team were dumb. They made him keep going, even though he could not catch the cars in front of him. And he retired much later on. So he didn't score points and also couldn't save mileage on his engine.

--

997.1 C2S GT Silver/Cocoa, -20mm/LSD, PSE, short shifter, SportDesign rims, Zuffenhausen pickup, BMW Z4 2.5i Roadster Sterling Grey/Red

Hamilton/Mercedes absolutely made the correct decision to retire from the race. It would have been pointless and stupid to continue, particularly considering his engine deficit.

apias:

Hamilton/Mercedes absolutely made the correct decision to retire from the race. It would have been pointless and stupid to continue, particularly considering his engine deficit.

Agreed. What was dumb was the extended delay. They should have retired him much earlier in the race.

--

reginos:
    easy_rider911:

Hamilton lives a black guys lifestyle which is not customary in F1. But why should it be a negative thing? Provided that he doesn't use substances (unlikely given his circle of friends), his personal style and preferences are not relevant to his racing.

What I wrote is just relevant to whether or not I like him on a personal level. Of course, it isn't relevant to his racing. I respect his talent as a driver Smiley

--

easy_rider911:
    apias:

Agreed. What was dumb was the extended delay. They should have retired him much earlier in the race.

As mentioned above, I didn't see the race, but, yes, they probably should have pulled him off the track as soon as it was clear the extent of his damage, which would have been during the pitstop for his tire change.

apias:

I unfortunately didn't see the race and, because it's always popping around on different channels here, it didn't get recorded, so I'm not able to watch that either. But, reading the comments on it, and the discussion of the incident and driver comments, here's my take on what happened...

Some drivers, through a history of aggressive, no-holds-barred driving develop a psychological advantage over their rivals in critical situations. Schumacher was one of those drivers, who you knew would absolutely not give way at a critical moment, the most extreme example of which is perhaps the 2005 U.S. Grand Prix when he forced Rubens Barrichello down the run-off following his pit lane exit to prevent Barrichello taking the lead in this otherwise bizarre race. Barrichello knew that Schumacher would not give way at the last minute, and, in fact, Schumacher held his line until Barrichello was forced off the track. In this game of chicken, Barrichello "knew" that Schumacher would wreck them both before he would give Barrichello room to go around him on the outside, and Schumacher used that "knowledge", or, more precisely, fear, to his advantage to keep the lead in an otherwise (almost literally) uncontested race.

Hamilton is also one of those drivers who plays this game of chicken to his advantage and has a history of forcing other drivers off track by an absolute refusal to ever yield an inch and aggressively using that reputation to his advantage at every instance. In fact, this was exactly what was going on in Hamilton's head at Hockenheim when Hamilton crashed into Button: Hamilton just assumed that Button would let him past because he expects everyone will let him past to avoid a collision.

So, should Rosberg simply give way and signal to Hamilton, "Do what you want to me on the track because in a tight situation, you know I'll back down first?" Or, should he, championship lead in hand, deliberately, "make a point," and let Hamilton know that he cannot assume that Rosberg will back down in a critical situation, even at the risk of taking both cars out of the race. This is the point that Rosberg wanted to make to Hamilton, and I suspect that Hamilton may be a little less sure of Rosberg yielding to him in the future.

So, was it deliberate? Yes. Did Rosberg cleverly puncture Hamilton's tire while limiting his own damage to a tiny bit of front wing? No. He knew he was risking taking himself out of the race. He also knew that there was no certainty that he would come off better, or even not worse, than Hamilton. But, he did it anyway, because he wanted Hamilton to know that he cannot expect a certain win in a  game of chicken with him. Rosberg knew the stakes, knew that he might end up taking only himself out of the race, but he did it anyway to send Hamilton a message; and the next time they find themselves in a similar situation, Hamilton will be that much less certain that, in a game of chicken with Rosberg, he will escaped unscathed. This is a high stakes game where you cannot gift your opponent a psychological edge and expect to win.

This is EXACTLY what happened.  A true champion MUST never lose in a game of chicken.  This was a vital action NR needed to take to be a true Champion in this sport.  Nice guys finish last in racing and politics. It is combat with cars and the one with the PSYC advantage will win.  It helps a lot to be fast when you are alone on the track and in the lead - then you don't have to be so agressive and you can avoid incidents.  This is what Vettel used to do when he had the best car and a lack-luster team mate. (Gladstone and I met Mark W in Montreal at the QE where I was staying and would also have enjoyed a Beer with him)  Notice how now that Vettel's car is not at the top he is hardly a threat to anyone.  If you think Webber was fast - look at DR.  DR has destroyed the myth that Vettel is fast.  When a team has superior cars and equal drivers you see the most need to dominate and desire to not back down (and prove a point)  ala Senna vs. Prost.  Schumacher always avoided equal drivers on his team and intimidated the heck out of everyone - he was perhaps the most aggressive and his championships are a direct result.  Even in a slower car he dominated mentally until his first retirement.  His comeback was very difficult because he could not convince the others he was willing to take the same chances - and he could not fake it.  (Keep fighting Michael!)

I can't wait to see what happens next - it makes for interesting racing.  Life is not fair and we should not expect anything other than an all out effort by all drivers. 

Lastly - I wish to apologize to Easy Rider - Smiley my comment about being from London was intended to be humerous - my usual brand of sarcastic American humor.  Easy just seemed to be a little too wrapped up in the debate and I wanted to lighten it up a bit.  It is only racing and entertainment - picking team and sides in a debate is part of the fun.  Bernie is laughing at this thread all the way to the bank knowing this type of controversy is good for the sport as long as no one is hurt. Smiley  I'm 100% okay with that. 

Yeah, a die hard Hamilton fan speaking here... after the run-ins with Alonso when they were in McLaren I just love the guy  

Seriously I'm niether German nor English and neither a Hamilton oor Rosberg  fan, when the driver in front has practically the whole car length in front of you managing the corner, if you don't back down, you are deliverately provoking a collision, and conveniently jamming your carbonfiber into the other drivers rear wheel while at it...

Also, Rosberg already has a history, up until know he was relatively unknown since he was not an outstanding driver either, but this year with the advantage of being behind a Mercedes, he is able to win with only one rival and his true character has shown along the season against him with multiple questionable incidents already. He has racked up quite a reputation race after race, he has shown to be the least sportsmaship of the grid.

Hamilton is no saint, quite the opposite, personally I can't stand the guy and don't really care for seeing him win, but that doesn't make Rosberg's actions OK. Its no wonder why the belgian crowd boed him, and he is going to get boed by the tiffosi in Monza, and so on, its not a patriotic thing... people just don't like the "bad guy" winning at the ned of the movie.

--

Carlos: agreed kiss

Leawood911: no worries wink

Martin Brundle's view makes very interesting reading:

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9441022/nico-rosbergs-simmering-anger-with-lewis-hamilton-spills-over-into-fireworks-at-spa

--

At the end of the day, I suppose what bothers me about what happened on Sunday is the sheer injustice. I like to see a clean fight and may the best guy win. I don't like to see a guy profit from his own 'error' (as in Monaco and now Spa).

--

In the light of the controversy surrounding Sunday's race (I'm still pissed that my DVR failed to record it), here's an interesting article from 2008.

If you can set up a UK proxy ID, you can watch the race on BBC iPlayer.

--

This is Mark Hughes's take on Spa

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/report/22058/9440836/nico-rosbergs-spa-code-of-conduct-shaped-by-critical-moments-in-hungary-and-bahrain

--

I agree, easy. On the slow mo shots Rosberg definitely turned away to the left first but then had seconds by turning right in to Hamilton's tyre, its so blatant and he knew exactly what he was doing, it was an impulsive split second decision. Imo, NR was prepared to take the risk of any eventual outcome, to which he got the right one. Ive seen so many front wing hits causing punctures and so has NR. Enough said. 

--

throt

"I Have Done It!".

991 GT3 pick up in October.

I was actually able to watch a replay of the incident, and I don't think it's that straightforward. Those turns could very well have been reflexive and/or (over-)corrective moves. It happened so fast that I'm not sure he made any conscious decision to make those particular moves. Other than probably a determination to not give way going into the situation, I don't think he actually "thought" about what he was doing at that instant, but, he likely was prepared to take the risk of the outcome and knew what he was doing, and the rest was chance.

NR obviously knew what he was doing, the plan was to hit LH at the side and cause him to go into a tail spin with minimum damage to his own car.

I have notice a trend on this post, it seems all the germans are in support of NR despite the fact that the guy is more of a Monaco/Finn lad Smiley

So we must believe that Rosberg could engineer such a collision with such precision! If he loses his seat he might be employed as a stunt driver in Hollywood. 

I like Hamilton more than Rosberg as a driver, but what happened on Sunday was a racing incident between two drivers who would not back off.  The type of racing I like to see.

Rosberg (born in Germany by German mother) , races with the German flag on his car. It is understandable if he gets favour in Germany. Nothing unusual. Rosberg is more German than someone like popular in the UK, Mo Farah is British  smiley

--

"Form follows function"

I think it would help if we draw a distinction between the outcome and what Rosberg intended and did based on that intention.

The outcome is plain for all to see. Rosberg's front wing endplate caused a puncture.

My take is that Rosberg, when he turned in on Hamilton the 2nd time, didn't try to cause a puncture per se. He wanted to prove a point that he would not back down in the fight. He did deliberately leave the nose of his car in such a place that a collision would be inevitable. He could have backed off - so that in the remaining 42 laps, he could attack again and again. But he chose not to. That split second decision was him drawing a line in the sand that he was not going to give way, no matter what the consequences.

In effect, he was reckless as to the result of the impact. He knew that, when contact occurred, he would suffer front wing damage which is easily repairable in the race. He could also afford to lose out in the fight that much more than Hamilton since he had a 11 point lead at the time. The damage to Hamilton on the 2nd turn in would be to his tyre. It was not certain that damage would result but Rosberg did it anyway.

So, putting aside for a moment whether the harm to Hamilton was deliberate or not, one can say for certain that Rosberg did deliberately leave his car's nose in a place where a collision would result and that he was at the very least reckless as to the consequences for his car and the car of his rival.

In my view, it is unacceptable to ruin another driver's race out of recklessness.

Sure, it happens frequently when drivers like Maldonado ruin some blameless driver's race weekend.

But, between Rosberg and Hamilton, there is a world championship title fight and so the stakes are immeasurably higher. And that's why I wrote before that a world championship should not be decided in this way. I want a clean fight.

If Rosberg wins in a clean fight, that would be great and I would applaud him. But he is clearly ethically and morally unconcerned with how he wins. He did it in Monaco but there was no conclusive proof that he parked his car on purpose once he had already got his banker lap (also note, with no damage to his car).

In Canada, Rosberg cut a chicane to stay ahead of Hamilton. He gained from that manoeuvre by escaping the 1 second DRS window. He then lifted off the throttle a little later on when he was no longer under threat. 

However, a pattern is emerging that Rosberg doesn't fight fairly. As this tense battle continues, I think this is not the last time we will see his true colours.

--

easy_rider911:

In my view, it is unacceptable to ruin another driver's race out of recklessness.

Sure, it happens frequently when drivers like Maldonado ruin some blameless driver's race weekend.

Exactly,  that is not racing,  that is the lack of,  since because senseless collisions like those that serve no purpose but to cause a collision (there was no overtaking attempt possible there) we are deprived of being able to watch actual racing between the two drivers for the rest of the race since one driver had to retire and the result of the race is skewed by the fact that the driver that caused the collision and did not have the right of way in the corner nor any possibility to pass actually won the race while the driver that was actually in front and arguably has the best chances of winning the race had to retire. 

--

Rosberg is being criticized for essentially being ruthless in his pursuit of the championship. But he's not really doing anything that Hamilton, Schumacher, et al. haven't done before him. Hamilton in his day has run plenty of drivers off the track in similar situations.

Hamilton, could have backed off, in view of the probability of a collision that would harm himself more (given the relative points standings)  than the other driver. It was the second lap and there was plenty of scope for are re-pass.  But even if Hamilton finished one or two postions behind Rosberg because of that, it would have been better than risking a DNF.

Even if we assume that Rosberg decided to open the door to the lunatic asylum, it didn't mean that Hamilton should get inside too. Judgement and brains are as necessary as driving skills.

--

"Form follows function"

@reginos: apologies if I'm misunderstanding you but I don't see how it was possible for Hamilton to back off entering the corner while Rosberg was turning in on him for the 2nd time. And before that, during the initial attack in that corner, when Rosberg was halfway alongside with no prospect of overtaking, Hamilton already had the corner and was on the racing line so Rosberg backed off initially because he knew full well that he was inevitably going to run out of road.

--

apias:

Rosberg is being criticized for essentially being ruthless in his pursuit of the championship. But he's not really doing anything that Hamilton, Schumacher, et al. haven't done before him. Hamilton in his day has run plenty of drivers off the track in similar situations.

Doesn't make it OK for Rosberg to do it as well to who ever stands in his way, this season is Hamilton since that it's the only way he can beat him. 

--

@apias: ruthlessness IMvHO doesn't justify some of the moves that other drivers have done. For example, Senna crashing into Prost in Turn 1 at Suzuka. We would no longer tolerate such blatant recklessness today. It's worth noting and comparing this to the reaction to when Schumacher nearly drove Barrichello into a concrete wall on the start/finish straight during Schumi's comeback at Mercedes. 

IMO winning at all costs tarnishes the achievement since it calls the driver's integrity into question. That's why I personally never fully respected Senna. Yes, he was fast beyond belief but he was flawed. It is one thing to risk your own life but quite another matter to risk someone else's life for your own glory. That's why in my view, the way Senna was practically deified during the recent 20th death anniversary commemoration ceremonies looked at these dark aspects to his legacy with rose-tinted glasses.

By contrast, I loved seeing Webber overtake Alonso through Eau Rouge. Hard but fair racing with both drivers showing immense skill and complete trust in one another. The same cannot be said of the events at Spa last Sunday.

--

reginos:

Hamilton, could have backed off, in view of the probability of a collision that would harm himself more (given the relative points standings)  than the other driver. It was the second lap and there was plenty of scope for are re-pass.  But even if Hamilton finished one or two postions behind Rosberg because of that, it would have been better than risking a DNF.

Even if we assume that Rosberg decided to open the door to the lunatic asylum, it didn't mean that Hamilton should get inside too. Judgement and brains are as necessary as driving skills.

--

"Form follows function"

So everybody should just move away as soon as they see Rosberg coming and let him cleanly through as if he were a lapped driver? Because that is the only way Hamilton could have avoided the collision since he had the inside line,  was almost a car length ahead and could not even see what Rosberg was doing behind him. Sometimes a collision is both driver's fault in a split percentage, and Hamiton has been responsible for many collisions, but lets be fair, this one is all 100% on Rosberg. 

--

reginos:

--

"Form follows function"

You must either have been watching A1 racing or viewing the race in Black and white....Hamilton should have backed off despite being in front, what a stupid comment Smiley

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/28967288

Webber says Mercedes is no longer functioning as a team

--

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    690456 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409733 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255991 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    235267 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65643 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4657 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

858390 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    774663 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM