Crown

Board: Porsche - Carrera GT / 918 Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

Re: 918 latest news Thread Closed

F12 or FF, you can't go wrong either way...

Hahaha nice one Whoopsy.
    The story sounds a bit better now you've explained a bit... whoah, can you imagine, the anticipation here might be almost s high as your own ;-) 

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

I am in the process of extinguishing Porsche badges in the garage. Just got rid of the Macan S that I had since May. The Turbo S could be next to go if my wife still wants a Maserati. Only Porsche left will be their master piece, 918.

Just placed a deposit for a 2015 FF, will be trading in the Speciale for it in Nov. Also ordered a late production Speciale to replace the original one, but it could change to a Speciale Spyder when it is announced, it is already in the system and I am having the 1st one.

Was quite torn between the F12 and the FF, my wife initially hates the FF's design and loved the F12, but after some thinking she convinced me to get a FF instead of the F12 because of the bigger backseats and the FF will be a great replacement for our Turbo S, which she drives a lot.

Gonna be metallic black on black leather with yellow stitching and seat belts. Zero carbon bits but with a big ass glass roof.

The next Speciale will be my choice of TDF Blue over black and blue accents. But the colour scheme could still change as it will be quite far out.

The Speciale will be the 1st car ever for me to buy again after getting rid of. It is THAT good. Seriously, nothing really come close yet. Thought about trying a F12, but in the end I know I will miss the Speciale.

Only reason the F12 lose the fight with the FF was the lack of 2 extra seats and the fact that it's borderline unsafe to drive a 740HP car with only 2 rear wheels. Also, no matter how powerful and fast and good the F12 is, the 918 trumps it.

Quite a turn of events within a few days, I got so fed up with Porsche that I am willing to drop a mil on Ferraris to clean house.

--

Some garage you will have. Congratulations!

I completely understand Whoopsy.... he doesnt ask for to much attention. If you buy such a car, you should have an reliable contact person and delivery date. It shouldnt be to much to expect, that Porsche commits to an reliable date and taking care on any kind of requests. Its the luxury of the luxury products and this comes with a kind of luxury service - you should mean at least. 

Unfortunately Porsche isnt used to do that kind of service. It starts with the "normal" 911 buyer - which is treated worse than a KIA client. The sales persons (at least here) are arrogant and the service people aren't any better. You have to ask and please for anything. They think they "are Mrs. & Mrs. Porsche" just because they have an employee badge saying that! And being brutally honest - we are the most stupid ones eating up all of that behavior!

@Whoops - congrats to your new garage setup! Sad for Porsche to loose just a good client!

if Canada Porsche have Brains, they will notice that they lost one of their most valued Clients and might try to make it right.

if not, well then i guess they desrve no different.

i too feel that when you spen a lot of Money with a certain brand, you should get the Service you expect and then some more.

--
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

Perfect choices Whoopsy... The FF is a masterpiece, basically same as 991 TTS, just much better and more $$$. Haven't tried the Speciale since I have not use for such sharp cars but if you say it is a masterpiece, it must be...

I wonder when we could see FF facelift? If they make something like they did with Californuia, FF could get decent look.

--

My new blog with automotive & motorcycle renders: tessoart.blogspot.com

Funny, I was thinking Nick did not like the Speciale. yes

Regarding Porsche, they made enough money off Nick on the 918. The TTS and Macan are chump change. Nevertheless, they should have been more attentive to his needs. I suspect there will be more Porsche's in Nick's garage in the future.

Also sold my S8 and canceled my order for the new Golf R. I felt the decline of Porsche is from the increased VW influence and the direction Piech is taking Porsche. 

VAG is milking the Porsche brand dry, excessive cost cutting combined with excessive price increase. Not sure what more they want from Porsche as it is already the marque with the biggest profit margin. 

My ex-Macan S, together with a Cayman S I demo earlier, drives nice but felt cheap inside. Neither has the upgrade leather interior and it just doesn't feel right. If I were to price them with the proper interior the price is just insane. 

Initially I had wanted to stay with Porsche for our next car, we need something bigger than the Turbo S, but the junior Panamera is being shelved so they have nothing for us. Panamera is just way to big and they have nothing else offered.

The FF's target market is a very narrow one, and not many competitors, Bentley Continental, and the new S63 Coupe and that's about it. Power 4 seat, not 2+2, 2 door coupe with awd. I didn't like the AMG's dash, and I felt like I am 30 years too young to drive a Bentley so only the FF is left. 

Regarding the Speciale, yes it is a sharp car, but if I don't push it it can be a nice tourer too. It may have the bare carbon interior instead of plush leather, and it can be a little noisy inside, but it does drives really really nice, especially if I set the suspension to soft setting. On soft setting the ride is between the super nice 12C with the active suspension and my Turbo S on normal. Closer to the 12C than the Turbo S. Unbelievably good on bumpy roads.

--

nberry:

Funny, I was thinking Nick did not like the Speciale. yes

Regarding Porsche, they made enough money off Nick on the 918. The TTS and Macan are chump change. Nevertheless, they should have been more attentive to his needs. I suspect there will be more Porsche's in Nick's garage in the future.

Speciale is the second favourite car I have ever drove, after the 918. Even my wife likes the Speciale Smiley  and she isn't the hardcore driver and she likes the Speciale more than the Turbo S which she preferred before.

I have a pretty good idea of what's coming down the Porsche pipeline, and nothing there will get me back. A Cayman GTS was quite tempting but not for the price they want for my config. After the drive in the Cayman S, I keep asking myself if I don't need the 2 little seats in the back and the iconic 911 shape, what reason should I buy a 911 over a Cayman?

--

Isn't the 918 part of the "direction" that Piech has taken things?

Whoopsy:
    I have a pretty good idea of what's coming down the Porsche pipeline, and nothing there will get me back.

991 GT3 RS, 960, Cayman GT4, new Panamera, new Panamera Coupe, smaller Panamera, later on facelift for whole 991 line-up Smiley Nothing of those thing seems attractive to you Smiley

I have serious doubts Whoopsy`s account is hacked Smiley

--

Gnil:

My dealer delivered the first Swiss car about 2 or 3 weeks ago. It went to a guy living in my neighborhood . 

He owns several Porsche ,  the yellow CGT is also his .

photo 5.JPG

1404052579354photo 4.JPG

1404052589656photo 3.JPG

1404052601060photo 2.JPG

1404052609722photo 1.JPG

Mmmm... magnifique ! Lucky him ! Time for a new Swiss Rennteam meet... Would you invite him?

--

Nicolas
    2012 991 Carrera S

Milanno:
    Whoopsy:
    I have a pretty good idea of what's coming down the Porsche pipeline, and nothing there will get me back.

991 GT3 RS, 960, Cayman GT4, new Panamera, new Panamera Coupe, smaller Panamera, later on facelift for whole 991 line-up Smiley Nothing of those thing seems attractive to you Smiley

I have serious doubts Whoopsy`s account is hacked Smiley

--

I didn't like the fish eye headlamp cover on the 991, so unless the facelift change that, any variant of the 991 is not going to be an option. 

At first I thought I like the new interior with all the buttons, but having driven a Cayenne and a Cayman and living with the Macan for a while, I totally hates it now. Especially so when I look down and see empty blanks, they are a constant reminder of me going cheap and not ordering stuff. Also, I keep pressing the silver strips instead of the actual black buttons for functions. 

New Panamera is not going to be smaller, it will stay the same size, biggest change I think will be a 3 seat rear. The junior Panamera is shelved for a while so no smaller sports sedan from Porsche.

I like driving around in the Cayman, so a GT4 variant is going be very attractive, but that interior I just can't get over with.

Pana-coupe is also going to have the general interior, so same answer. 

The rumoured 960, it's not going to be better than the 918, and I also don't think it can match the Speciale, it will very likely be better than a Italia though. But that also make it stuck in no man's land within my garage. But it should be a very attractive option for others. 

The quality issue is a on going concern. My first 997 Turbo was rock solid after 5 years when I trade it in for the .2 Turbo S. While I loved that car, the quality is a couple notches lower, creaks and cracks through out the whole cabin whenever I go over bumps. I lived with it because I loved the 997s.

I also had been talking to some of the service guys at the the dealership and they all agreed that the 991 is another notch down from the 997 on build quality. On the surface the 991 might look better but underneath they are not. 

The latest 'possible delay' on the 918, I really wish I can talk about it, but I cannot find words that can describe it without betraying my promise. But after learning what happened and combined with everything else that's been going on, was the final straw for me to 'clean house'.

Never say never, I am keeping my doors open for the generation after 991. 

--

amjf088:

Isn't the 918 part of the "direction" that Piech has taken things?

The 918 project started before VAG bought Porsche in December 09. It was well underway as Porsche shown the concept already at Geneva 2010. 

Walliser had a pretty good autonomy on the project, the car is 'his' vision, more than anyone else.

But it wasn't a no expense spared project, there are compromises somewhere in there. And it seems those Piech directed cost cutting measures are coming back to haunt Porsche. (On the 918 project Walliser only answers to the board and Piech is the Chairman)

In Porsche's history until now, they have never made a better, more complicated, more advanced car, the 918 is their current masterpiece despite the faults. The CGT came close but it was pretty straight forward conversion from the race program to street car so a lot simpler and faster as a lot of the development was already done.

--

Whoopsy:
    The CGT came close but it was pretty straight forward conversion from the race program to street car so a lot simpler and faster as a lot of the development was already done.

If you ask me, every road-legal sports car should be product of racing program development. That is one more reason why CGT is so respected between true petrolheads. When you stand in front of CGT you know that is REAL racing beast suited for road Smiley

--

Whoopsy:

The latest 'possible delay' on the 918, I really wish I can talk about it, but I cannot find words that can describe it without betraying my promise. But after learning what happened and combined with everything else that's been going on, was the final straw for me to 'clean house'.

It's a shame we can't learn about this. Maybe later when it all gets sorted out and Porsche is over it you could share with us?

Enmanuel:
    Whoopsy:

It's a shame we can't learn about this. Maybe later when it all gets sorted out and Porsche is over it you could share with us?

When/if I find it on the internet or another source, then I can break the news as it would then be considered 'public knowledge'. About all I can share is the 1st 918 in Canada, the yellow one in Edmonton, is not delivered yet. It's been at the dealership for almost 2 weeks now. That car is actually pretty unique, the owner has all the acid green trims and stitching in the interior changed to yellow, even the seat belts are yellow, so the interior is all black with the yellow stuff.

--

Technical or supplier issues?
    And does it concern rest of the world and already delivered vehicles?

Nico997:
    Mmmm... magnifique ! Lucky him ! Time for a new Swiss Rennteam meet... Would you invite him?

Another meet would be nice Smiley I  see you've got a new car Smiley

My neighbor is very '' discrete '' and not too social ... I see his cars, talked to him once, but he avoids any contacts.....

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Whoopsy:

I am in the process of extinguishing Porsche badges in the garage. Just got rid of the Macan S that I had since May. The Turbo S could be next to go if my wife still wants a Maserati. Only Porsche left will be their master piece, 918.

Just placed a deposit for a 2015 FF, will be trading in the Speciale for it in Nov. Also ordered a late production Speciale to replace the original one, but it could change to a Speciale Spyder when it is announced, it is already in the system and I am having the 1st one.

Was quite torn between the F12 and the FF, my wife initially hates the FF's design and loved the F12, but after some thinking she convinced me to get a FF instead of the F12 because of the bigger backseats and the FF will be a great replacement for our Turbo S, which she drives a lot.

Gonna be metallic black on black leather with yellow stitching and seat belts. Zero carbon bits but with a big ass glass roof.

The next Speciale will be my choice of TDF Blue over black and blue accents. But the colour scheme could still change as it will be quite far out.

The Speciale will be the 1st car ever for me to buy again after getting rid of. It is THAT good. Seriously, nothing really come close yet. Thought about trying a F12, but in the end I know I will miss the Speciale.

Nick,

You may also consider TDF exterior over chiccolate alcantara with blue 3D fabric. Chiccolate will contrast and show carbon interior much better than black and it will contrast nicely with blue stitching and blue exterior color. Also don't forget to get alcantara tunnel this time around which is an inexpensive option but it increases the interior quality of the specialle dramatically. 

You have a beautiful garage in a beautiful country; very lucky of you Smiley

--

ONUR

THE BEST CAR EVER smiley

11 E92 M3 CP - 09 Audi TTS Coupe - 07 997 Carrera S - 05 M3 Coupe - 03 M3 Coupe - 96 M3 Coupe EVO (PASS TIME HISTORY)

Black beauty angel Desired adjustments are related to calipers color.

--

Woah! Wonderful, just wonderful. Absolutely sinister, and I love how the overall shape jumps at you, rather than all the details...
    Also, the headlight shape is much more flattering in this color than in a lot of other colors.

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

How about the AM rapide? Not FF territory but still nice...

Isn't the FF as big as a Panamera ? Each time I see one it looks like it takes up all the space road and it is so long .

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

Perfect pair!

The FF is 4 inches shorter and one inch lower. Width is the same.

1406561792233image.jpg1406561792294image.jpg1406561792327image.jpg1406561792358image.jpg

For 99% of the population out there these cars would be identical...

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM