Crown

Board: Porsche - Cayenne Language: English Region: Worldwide Share/Save/Bookmark Close

Forum - Thread

OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014

A sharper design, boosted efficiency and extensive set of standard features: Those are the key characteristics of the new Porsche Cayenne1). As a sports car among sport utility vehicles (SUVs), besides offering five seats and extensive high-end features, it primarily offers a lot of room for a lot of driving fun. With high performance and typical Porsche design DNA.

The new generation of the Cayenne will launch on the market in five versions: Cay-enne S, Cayenne Turbo, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne S Diesel and – in a world premiere – the Cayenne S E-Hybrid2), which is the first plug-in hybrid in the premium SUV segment. This model, together with the Panamera S E-Hybrid and the 918 Spyder, make Porsche the world's only carmaker to offer three plug-in hybrid models. All Cayenne engine versions show improved performance figures as well as better fuel economy than comparable previous versions. A new engine is the 3.6-litre V6 biturbo of the Cayenne S that was fully developed by Porsche.

The Cayenne is a unique success story at Porsche. The company introduced the first generation in 2002. This vehicle made the idea of a sports car in the SUV segment a reality – and it set standards right from the start. Sales have exceeded all expectations: Over 276,000 first generation vehicles were produced (2002 to 2010), and around 303,000 units of the second generation, which was introduced in 2010, have already been produced so far. So the Cayenne is not only boosting profitable growth at Porsche, it is also creating a solid economic foundation for investments in future generations of sports cars.

Sharpened exterior design
    In its latest version, Porsche designers have given the Cayenne an even sharper design with precise lines and purposefully placed light refracting edges. Entirely new are the design of the front body, the front wings and the bonnet. Also new are the airblades: These air fins on the right and left of the vehicle's front end efficiently guide cooling air to the intercoolers and also make a strong visual statement.

At first glance, the new Cayenne can be clearly made out as a Porsche by its bi-xenon headlights, which are standard in the base and S models, with "hovering" four-point LED daytime running lights that are typical of Porsche. The high performance standard of the top model, the Cayenne Turbo, is emphasised by standard LED headlights with the Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS).

The rear section of the new Cayenne was also thoroughly updated: the layout of the rear lights creates a three-dimensional effect; the brake lights – like the LED daytime running lights in front – are designed in four elements. The license plate recess, boot handle and lights are now integrated more elegantly into the boot lid. Designers also re-designed the car's horizontal lines, giving the vehicle an even fuller stance on the road. The newly designed exhaust tailpipes are now integrated in the lower rear section. An automatically activating boot lid is a standard feature.

In the interior, designers devoted much of their effort to the driver's space – the driver now gets a new multifunction sport steering wheel with shift paddles as standard; its look and functions are based on the steering wheel of the 918 Spyder. They also made the rear seating system even more comfortable, and seat ventilation can now be ordered as an option for the rear seats.

Better efficiency
    Power and torque were boosted while improving fuel economy, enabled by numerous individual modifications to the entire drivetrain: for Porsche these are not incompatible or contradictory goals. For instance, all new Cayenne models consume significantly less fuel, because of a coasting function, the further advanced "auto stop-start function plus" and optimised thermal management. Active cooling air flaps are now being used for the first time in the Cayenne models. They are located behind the middle air inlet and are controlled by engine management. They are opened or closed according to the specific driving situation and cooling needs; this way they adjust the air volume that is available for cooling. When they are closed they improve aerodynamics, which reduces air drag and thereby improves fuel economy.

The Cayenne S E-Hybrid is the first plug-in hybrid in the premium SUV segment. The technical progress made here is immense compared to the previous Cayenne S Hybrid. The new model has a lithium-ion traction battery with an energy capacity of 10.8 kWh, which enables an all-electric driving range of 18 to 36 km, depending on the style of driving and route topography. The power of the electric motor was more than doubled: from 47 hp (34 kW) to 95 hp (70 kW). The combined fuel consumption is now 3.4 l/100 km (79 g/km CO2). The three-litre V6 supercharged engine (333 hp / 245 kW) and the electric motor (95 hp / 70 kW) produce a combined system power of 416 hp (306 kW) at 5,500 rpm and a total system torque of 590 Newton metres from 1,250 to 4,000 rpm. This enables driving performance on the level of a sports car: zero to 100 km/h in 5.9 seconds and a top speed of 243 km/h. The top speed in all-electric driving is 125 km/h. The traction battery can be charged from the electric power grid or while driving. Relevant vehicle data can be called up from a smart phone using the standard Porsche Car Connect feature.

The hybrid tradition at Porsche extends back to the year 1899 and to the Lohner Por-sche – the world's first vehicle to have a battery-powered electric drive as well as a combustion engine, which was designed and built by Ferdinand Porsche. In the current model line-up, the Panamera S E-Hybrid is setting standards worldwide as the first plug-in vehicle of the premium class. The Cayenne S E-Hybrid is now transferring this forward-looking technology to the premium SUV segment. Extraordinarily powerful hybrid technology has also already been implemented in a sports car, in a super sports car no less – the 918 Spyder. This car serves as an example of technology transfer from motorsport to production cars: the most advanced form of hybrid drive technology is currently implemented in the 919 Hybrid, and it is also being studied for production vehicles.

The new 3.6-litre V6 biturbo engine of the Cayenne S, which was developed entirely at Porsche, is another example of how downsizing with reduced engine displacement and fewer cylinders does not compromise core values: the engine's NEDC fuel consumption is between 9.8 and 9.5 l/100 km (229-223 g/km CO2), which is one litre less than with the previous V8 engine. The biturbo V6 develops a maximum power of 420 hp (309 kW) at 6,000 rpm – a gain of 20 hp/15 kW. The car's torque of 550 Newton metres is available from 1,350 to 4,500 rpm (gain of 50 Newton metres). The previous power density of 83 hp (61 kW) per litre engine displacement was increased to 117 hp (86 kW) (gain of around 40 percent). With its standard eight-speed Tiptronic S transmission, the Cayenne S accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in just 5.5 seconds (5.4 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono package) – 0.4 seconds faster than the previous Cayenne S. The vehicle's top speed is now 259 km/h (gain of one km/h).

The Cayenne Turbo is characterised by a high level of performance readiness, uninterrupted forward thrust and an ability to handle any driving situation. 4.8-litre engine displacement, eight-cylinders and biturbo boost result in engine power of 520 hp (382 kW) at 6,000 rpm, its torque is 750 Newton metres from 2,250 to 4,000 rpm. This lets the Cayenne Turbo accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in just 4.5 seconds (4.4 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono package). Its top speed is 279 km/h. Fuel consumption is 11.5 to 11.2 l/100 km (267-261 g/km CO2).

The diesel versions of the Cayenne combine sportiness with even better fuel efficiency. For example, the three-litre V6 engine in the Cayenne Diesel produces 262 hp (193 kW) at 4,000 rpm and has a fuel consumption of 6.8 to 6.6 l/100 km (179-173 g/km CO2). Thanks to its SCR system, the car already conforms to the EU6 emissions standard. In interplay with its torque of 580 Newton metres, from 1,750 to 2,500 rpm, the car can accelerate from zero to 100 km/h in 7.3 seconds (7.2 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono package), and its top speed is 221 km/h. The 4.2-litre V8 engine of the Cayenne S Diesel produces 385 hp (283 kW) at 3,750 rpm and a torque of 850 Newton metres from 2,000 to 2,750 rpm. From a standstill, it reaches 100 km/h in 5.4 seconds (5.3 seconds with the optional Sport Chrono package). Its top speed is 252 km/h, and its NEDC fuel consumption is 8.0 l/100 km (209 g/km CO2).

Chassis tuning of the new Cayenne was optimised for even greater comfort, naturally without compromising its dynamic pace. This makes the spread between comfort and sportiness even greater than before – and it validates the Cayenne claim to being the sports car in the SUV segment.

The new Cayenne models will launch on the market starting October 11, 2014. In Germany, the Cayenne Diesel will cost € 66,260, the Cayenne S € 80,183, the Cay-enne S Diesel € 82,087 and the Cayenne Turbo € 128,378. The Cayenne S E-Hybrid will cost € 82,087, which is exactly the price of a Cayenne S Diesel – and is around € 1,000 less than the price of the previous Cayenne S Hybrid. This was made possible by synergistic effects realised by Porsche in the area of hybrid technology. Therefore, effective immediately the price of the Panamera S E-Hybrid is being lowered by over € 6,000 to € 104,221. Cited prices include VAT and country-specific features.

cayfl1.jpg

cayfl2.jpg

P14_0626_a5_rgb.jpg

Cayfl3.jpg

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Re: OFFICIAL: Cayenne (958) Facelift 2014

Thanks for the info RC. I am looking forward to placing my order for a Turbo. I noticed that you cannot build a Cayenne on the Porsche website any longer. I assume they are switching over the info to the 2015 model.

--

991 Carrera S Cab, Mercedes SL550, Cayenne Turbo

US configurator should be working soon, the German one already works for some while now (couple of hours).

I really like the facelift but only with the new LED headlights (pretty cool looking, I wish they had done the same with the 911 LED lights). Actually, I think the Cayenne looks now better than the Macan with these headlights but let's see how the Macan LED headlights will look alike. I've been told they will look quite similar.

--

RC (Germany) - Rennteam Editor Porsche 991 Turbo S, Porsche Boxster S (981), Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (2014), BMW X3 35d (2013)

Really like it! The LED headlights are really a must have if not ordering the Turbo. Gives it that little extra and meaner look. The other updated exteriour details are also very nice.

The hybrid is really appeling for the first time... Might actually consider ordering one when it's time to exchange the Audi sq5 I'm currently having as daily driver.

Big yawn...

The new LED front lights are very cool - but thats it! Everything else I have to agree - big yawn!

Have to agree that it isn't changed that much, but since I decided I was going to get a new Cayenne Turbo 7 months ago, I am glad I waited if for no other reason than 20 more HP. Porsche typically does not make significant changes on their mid-cycle facelifts. No surprise here.  

--

Cool

Typical FL from Porsche--cleaner design, small power increase.  The changes will be more noticeable in person.  I'd give it a B+, assuming a minor--if any--cost increase….

No PDK...

Trying to use the e-hybrid to tempt customers, the FL team are a bunch of planks ! 18hp increase Smiley

SciFrog:

No PDK...

I would have loved to have PDK offered in the Cayenne, but it is my understanding that the problem with PDK in the Cayenne is that with a towing capacity of almost 8000 pounds the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle would be too much for the clutches in the PDK gearbox. Also I heard that the torque converter Tiptronic provides more control in off road driving.

--

All you heard is true. There are also few other things why is 8 speed automatic much better choice for big SUV like Cayenne.

Quite good and detailed comparison between 958.1 and 958.2:

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayenne/958.2/

Besides the 918 type steering wheel, are there other changes to the interior?  

Yeah - no more third pedal in the interior.  Another manual bites the dust.  Please no performance arguments - it is not being replaced by the PDK box.

Why does every single Porsche redesign get a 'kink' in the light cluster?

Am I the only one who hates that?

There was nothing wrong with the shape of the headlights, taillights were the problem

Let me guess: 991.2 gets a kink in the rear lights

To me the really interesting stat is the torque figure for the Turbo  - this should make a meaningful impact in real world situations.

..so no more V8 for the S model . Downsizing is on it's way .

The back looks much better then before . I can hardly see a change to the front , apart for some plastic bits.

--

997.2 C2S, PDK, -20mm

lor:

Why does every single Porsche redesign get a 'kink' in the light cluster?

Am I the only one who hates that?

There was nothing wrong with the shape of the headlights, taillights were the problem

Let me guess: 991.2 gets a kink in the rear lights

You're not alone...

--

Porsche, seperates LeMans from LeBoys

Gnil:

..so no more V8 for the S model . Downsizing is on it's way .

The back looks much better then before . I can hardly see a change to the front , apart for some plastic bits.

I am wondering how actually capable is 3.6l V6 biturbo? 

Since S Diesel and S Petrol models now cost the same money I would go for S Diesel model despite lack of PDCC.

The facelift is very modest, a lot less than expected. I feel no urge at all to trade in my V8 for a V6 with 5% more power (and pay a lot for this).

--

2012 Cayenne S White/Espresso 

Ex: 993 Targa, 986S, 986 and 964 C2

993Targa:

The facelift is very modest, a lot less than expected. I feel no urge at all to trade in my V8 for a V6 with 5% more power (and pay a lot for this).

Did you really expect more? I didn't. Oh well, I expected 400 hp for the S Diesel but apparently they avoided the 4 in front of the power figure to keep S and Hybrid sales up. Smiley The Hybrid looks more interesting now, indeed but I would probably go for the S Diesel or...of course...for the Turbo. Smiley

I like the tail lights quite a lot, it is a very clean design and the "mean" looking LED lights add to the (positive) impression.

Two disappointments though: No V8 in the S anymore (which will be a problem sooner or later, looking at the Panamera sales figures Smiley) and no Turbo S or GTS from the start. I get it, they want to offer something new over the next two years, to keep the interest in the Cayenne up and running but it is a disappointment. The GTS is rumored to get 440 hp, the Turbo S 570 hp, no real surprises here I'm afraid.

Just as a hint: BMW is rumored to offer 600 hp or even a tiny bit more in the new X5 M with Performance Package. For a lot less money. Not a friend of the X5M engine/exhaust sound but for 40k EUR (base price) less, I would probably consider it.

Btw: I really love the new LED head lights.

cayfl5.jpg

--

The correction in the rear lights is very welcome.

However, I am very disappointed by the increasing use of unpainted black plastic parts on all Porsche models. Looks very downmarket cheap.However, Porsche design studio might think it looks sporty and Porsche accounting save some Euros from each car.

--

"Form follows function"

The Cayenne is finally getting to that good looking refined phase. First generation was hideous IMO, second one a lot better, and now this one looks quite nice and much more fluid. I don't think it's fresh enough to warrant an upgrade if you already have one, and I'd probably say just buy a used one and save the money until the real next generation one comes out. That said, I'm not really an expensive SUV person, so to each their own.

Used Cayenne prices should start dropping now, not by much but it will make an impact.

--

The tail lights have a bit of an Audi look imho. Great improvement over the bulbous, droopy originals however. I like them.  The front end looks good too.

KMM:

The tail lights have a bit of an Audi look imho. Great improvement over the bulbous, droopy originals however. I like them.  The front end looks good too.

Interesting...I was thinking the same (Q7). Maybe Audi already "took over" the Cayenne development (I don't have a clue). Smiley It looks good though and I am actually surprised how good with so little changes.

--

Reginos, I agree that black plastic parts look cheap.  My guess is Porsche notes that they are always getting damaged, so unpainted ones are more practical (and cost efficient).  I would definitely have them painted on any car of mine, however...

RC:
    KMM:

Interesting...I was thinking the same (Q7). Maybe Audi already "took over" the Cayenne development (I don't have a clue). Smiley It looks good though and I am actually surprised how good with so little changes.

I immediately thought of these old Audi A4 lights. The Q7 are similar.

06-07-08-audi-a4-s4-led-tail-lights-2.jpg

--

2014 991 Carrera 4S | Dark Blue Metallic | PDK | S-PASM (-20mm) | PSE

2010 Audi S5 cabrio | Ibis White

Edit

Forum

Board Subject Last post Rating Views Replies
    Porsche Sticky SUN'S LAST RUN TO WILSON, WY - 991 C2S CAB LIFE, END OF AN ERA (Part II) 3/28/24 3:21 AM
    watt
    689325 1780
    Porsche Sticky Welcome to Rennteam: Cars and Coffee... (photos) 2/19/24 11:51 PM
    Wonderbar
    409088 564
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Cayman GT4 RS (2021) 5/12/23 12:11 PM
    W8MM
    255697 288
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Porsche 911 (992) GT3 RS - 2022 3/12/24 8:28 AM
    DJM48
    234946 323
    Porsche Sticky The new Macan: the first all-electric SUV from Porsche 1/30/24 9:18 AM
    RCA
    65500 45
    Porsche Sticky OFFICIAL: Taycan 2024 Facelift 3/15/24 1:23 PM
    CGX car nut
    4644 50
    Porsche The moment I've been waiting for... 2/1/24 7:01 PM
    Pilot

857898 1364
    Porsche 992 GT3 7/23/23 7:01 PM
    Grant
    773904 3868
    Porsche OFFICIAL: New Porsche 911 Turbo S (2020) 4/6/23 7:43 AM